• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Rockhopper

me too and i normally have to do the 69, this is the first crossing keeper i applied for and it just asked me about shifts and medical status

It’s quite possible that you’d turn up for your shift and sit in the cabin all day and do nothing - the road doesn’t really go anywhere and the only traffic is a couple of cars owned by the few properties located close to the crossing. The gates are normally closed to the road.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SiggerSigAh

Hello,

First off thanks to everybody for all the information in this thread, has been very helpful. I applied for the now closed Aberdeen signallers position and completed and passed the online tests, I understand there will now be some wait. Looking at other jobs on the site it appears that they state the specific location of the box you would be working at, In the job listing for Aberdeen it did not, does anybody know would that mean if its a relief for a few box's or just that the listing was being vague.

Thanks

I had a similar thing when I first applied, and I found out at interview it was because they had a few vacancies at boxes in the same area and so rather than recruit specifically for a certain box they just hired a 'talent pool'. I think 4 of us were taken on in a fairly short timespan and then just allotted our boxes at a later date.

Not saying this will be what's happening with your area, but certainly this explained why a specific box wasn't mentioned when I applied!

RT3189

Have you heard anything yet?

Not yet mate, I still have an Edale one from last year that is "under consideration"

Long time lurker but wanted to add, I had an interview for the Edale job on 15th May (but made a right hash of it!) and haven’t heard anything yet. The portal still says Assessment 2 Pending. At the interview I was told I would hear back within 48 hours however reading this thread it seems common to wait much longer. Hope this is helpful :)

ROCsteadycrew

My application for Edale is still at the 'application under consideration' stage too and has been for over a month. I don't think I'll be getting that one..

P200E

I have an Edale application from this time last year and is still under consideration? I asked HR and they said still live, maybe an automated reply?

RT3189

o_O Perhaps they keep all applicants on standby just incase they need to re-interview? I’ve heard stories about people waiting months to get told they had the job by which time they’d moved on and found an alternative job, leaving NR to start the application process again.

Saracen_83

Anyone have any information on the London Great Suffolk street vacancies at the ROC?? Where is it migrating from? What does it control? Obviously London great suffolk street, but upto where? I’m also presuming this is a migration of a panel? Or is my presumption wrong!!??

Chumba

Does any1 know who got the petersfield role?if external or internal?

Was unsuccessful but waiting on 2x haslemere

I’ve just received an email with an invite to interview in a few weeks time for this role. So obviously not filled yet.

RT3189

ETA, just got an email saying I’ve been unsuccessful for the Edale position. How have other people managed to receive feedback from interviews?

Hi folks

Some signaller positions have come up at Three Bridges ROC (which I can almost throw stones at from where I'm sitting) and I wondered if anyone could enlighten me with regards to shift patterns etc - or point me to a thread where this info might appear (I have tried searching already - honestly!)

Also any other info about this ROC would be great

Thanks!

Mordueman

Hi there, I used to be a grade 3 Relief Signalman 25 years ago, I left to start my own business, that has come to and end now and I am wanting to come back to the job I loved.
I've got an interview for an external vacancy in a couple of weeks and after a quick look through the forum, I've realised that things have changed since I last had an interview.
Any help or advice would be appreciated, what sort of questions can I expect as an external applicant, has the rule book changed much in the last 25 years etc.
Many thanks

SignallerJohn

Hi there, I used to be a grade 3 Relief Signalman 25 years ago, I left to start my own business, that has come to and end now and I am wanting to come back to the job I loved.
I've got an interview for an external vacancy in a couple of weeks and after a quick look through the forum, I've realised that things have changed since I last had an interview.
Any help or advice would be appreciated, what sort of questions can I expect as an external applicant, has the rule book changed much in the last 25 years etc.
Many thanks
The rules have been added to, but I wouldn’t say changed as in rules aren’t really removed. Safety is paramount and big steps taken to reduce red zone working. No more telling PWay there’s no trains and they can go on track without line blockage forms being filled and protected. I’m fairly sure there is a form for everything now. The volume of trains has gotten bigger too.

Sunset route

Established Member
Many thanks

The biggest changes over the years that I can think of, have got to be “non technical skills” and there are 8 of them and safety comms protocols have become a lot stricter. Bi-annuals rules are out and replaced continually assessment.

nom de guerre

I haven’t been on for 25 years, but from chatting to some of our older hands:

All trains now have cab radio
All calls to the box are now recorded
Post-privatisation, all delays now have to be accounted for

(Feel free to correct...)

Mordueman

Glad to hear things haven't changed too much.
Can anyone tell me what sort of questions they will ask at a panel interview, I haven't been to an interview for over 30 years.
I have read about star answers and NTS but as I said they weren't around when I last sat an interview.
Anyone got any examples of questions from a recent successful interview?

Chumba

Glad to hear things haven't changed too much.
Can anyone tell me what sort of questions they will ask at a panel interview, I haven't been to an interview for over 30 years.
I have read about star answers and NTS but as I said they weren't around when I last sat an interview.
Anyone got any examples of questions from a recent successful interview?

Had interview few months ago, and am an external candidate. Can’t remember all the questions but what I can remember was.

Give an overview of previous career/jobs (I used this to link previous skills into the job role profile)
What is NR safety vision
Give example of when you have dealt with a stressful situation
Give example of when you have promoted safety at work
Give example of when you have had to take charge of something / an incident.

Sorry that’s all I can remember.

Hope it helps

Judochop

Hi all,

Is there anyone here who currently works at lancing signal box or who has previously worked there in the last few months who wouldn't mind privately messaging me?

Reason I ask is I have an interview for lancing next week and due to holiday and my shift pattern plus being 4hrs away from the box I'm unable to get a box visit where I would normally ask theses questions.

Many thanks in advance

MylesHSG

Just reading up on the last few months posts.

Glad to see a pay deal has been reached that included NWR at least looking into opening discussions about leisure travel.

On vacancies I believe all the open positions at Willesden Carriage boxes and Wembley Yard in the last few months were filled, 3 off the street and 2 internal. Highly likely that there is at least 1 position at Marston Vale coming up soon.

Also I believe that much loved trainer Julian at Basingstoke has retired, I know a few of us will have been on courses run by him the last few years. There is a video of me and a now LOM doing a gangam style dance as a forfeit for losing his daily quiz that will forever be remembered by those that have seen it!

Jaysub

can anyone tell me any info of the bognor regis box...shifts/roster...etc?

I've managed to get through 77 pages of this thread (not all in one go) and and in the last 10 minutes I've received an invite to do the online assessments for the G8 at Three Bridges ROC.

Is anyone who has done these recently (there are 3 separate tests) able to give a rough idea how long they took to complete? I've got 5 days to do them but I wanted to get an idea as work is a bit manic at the moment.

I have heard mention of 2nd assessments - is this another set of tests or is this a formal interview much like the DMI that forms part of the train driver recruitment process?

Thanks muchly!

Rockhopper

The second two tests have a time limit - I can’t recall exactly but it’s between 15-20 mins, something like that. The first one has no time limit but I imagine it’ll take you about half an hour max.
My current understanding is that assessment 2 is just an interview.

nom de guerre

can anyone tell me any info of the bognor regis box...shifts/roster...etc?

IIRC it's 8 hours with 12hr Sundays.

There's long been talk of mobile meal break cover in the area, but I'm not sure if that's been introduced yet, or whether Bognor would be included.

Living heritage: a classic SR/Odeon signal box, semaphores and AB. Photos and videos online.

OverTheRails

Sorry if this has been asked, I searched but nothing came up.
Ridgmont has a Grade 4 relief with 4% flexibility premium. Can anyone tell me what this means pay wise (rough take home) and shifts (are they 8h or 12h shifts, what are people’s view on relief work vs more fixed? Thanks in advance

Jaysub

IIRC it's 8 hours with 12hr Sundays.

There's long been talk of mobile meal break cover in the area, but I'm not sure if that's been introduced yet, or whether Bognor would be included.

Living heritage: a classic SR/Odeon signal box, semaphores and AB. Photos and videos online.[/QU

Thanks bud,is it quite a busy box as well?

Iv seen bognor come up twice
Thanks bud,is it quite a busy box as well?

Iv seen bognor come up twice recently,is there people leaving too?

Last edited:
The second two tests have a time limit - I can’t recall exactly but it’s between 15-20 mins, something like that. The first one has no time limit but I imagine it’ll take you about half an hour max.
My current understanding is that assessment 2 is just an interview.

Thank you... I'll give them a go tonight!