• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Seishin

Evening,

Does anyone know what grades are based at Inverness Signalling Centre and how many workstations there are?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bell 1-2-1

I think there's a danger of over-analysing the process - after all we don't even know if it's computer scored or not and you need to successfully get through the 70 questions before you get the assessments (I think!)

As you have to give examples for any of the questions that you answer yes to, I assume those will be read by a human but perhaps after the assessments have been done. Again, its just guesswork!
From what I believe, there are signalling questions on there because the external and internal application forms are the same, Iv also heard that some hiring managers understand and prefer an N/A on a question rather than try and fudge something that you couldn’t have experienced.
But I do know they are read and not scanned by computer. Hope this helps.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Does anyone know what grades are based at Inverness Signalling Centre and how many workstations there are?
As it stands today Inverness has 2x grade 6 RETB workstations, 1x grade 4 NX panel and 1x grade 3 WESTCAD workstation.

From what I believe, there are signalling questions on there because the external and internal application forms are the same, Iv also heard that some hiring managers understand and prefer an N/A on a question rather than try and fudge something that you couldn’t have experienced.
But I do know they are read and not scanned by computer. Hope this helps.

Thanks - I was pretty sure the 70 questions were checked by a person as artificial intelligence isn't really up to the job just yet! I'd just be interested to know at what point they are read - in the initial application or at the end (as part of the interview selection)? Maybe its both

Bell 1-2-1

Thanks - I was pretty sure the 70 questions were checked by a person as artificial intelligence isn't really up to the job just yet! I'd just be interested to know at what point they are read - in the initial application or at the end (as part of the interview selection)? Maybe its both
Maybe both but the hiring manager definitively looks at them to choose which to invite to interview from the ones HR send him/her. So they might send him 15 and he picks say 6 for interview. How HR pick the ones for consideration im not sure .

Last edited:

MidlandsChap

Maybe both but the hiring manager definitively looks at them to choose which to invite to interview from the ones HR send him/her. So they might send him 15 and he picks say 6 for interview. How HR pick the ones for consideration im not sure .

I would imagine HR deal with it very matter of fact, either they demonstrate the skill or not, and then tally up the scores. The hiring manager would then consider how good the examples are.

Littlestu

Application 20 failed with 1 still on test passed.
My understanding is you do the 70 questions and if you get past this you do the online test, which goes to test passed and application under consideration. If im getting this far is it my test score letting me down as its not high enough for the top 5. Almost a year now since i sat it so will i do it again in august automatically or can I ask to redo it again?
Not seen any jobs for a while in the yorkshire region im guessing most have been filled and people not moving on.
Enjoy reading on this forum, seeing people get accepted, passing on information to help others, knowing the hard work and advice taking pays off.

Rockhopper

When I did my 70 questions I didn’t actually answer any of the ones that required some writing as I couldn't provide an example I needed for one of them so I decided I was in with no chance - I just put N/A against them all to force the form to complete and allow me to submit. That’s why I was amazed to find out I’d passed and got through to the next part of the process. I think I did okay on the three tests but it was obviously too late by then.
I've had PM from several people who only answered half of the questions in the three tests but still got though as "test completed".

Bell 1-2-1

Application 20 failed with 1 still on test passed.
My understanding is you do the 70 questions and if you get past this you do the online test, which goes to test passed and application under consideration. If im getting this far is it my test score letting me down as its not high enough for the top 5. Almost a year now since i sat it so will i do it again in august automatically or can I ask to redo it again?
Not seen any jobs for a while in the yorkshire region im guessing most have been filled and people not moving on.
Enjoy reading on this forum, seeing people get accepted, passing on information to help others, knowing the hard work and advice taking pays off.
I would say it’s maybe the other way around? Only for the fact that When I applied the tests were sent out almost immediately, and then once they had expired and I applied again they were out to me straight away. then they have a look at the applications of those who pass the benchmark hence the under consideration email, keep going though, took me over 2 yrs . I think what made the difference on my applications was I spent a bit more time on the questions I could answer and then for the first time got through to the consideration by the hiring manager and then didn’t get interview ! so next time I spent ages on it. Re wording everything and making sure the emphasis was on safety.
Since been told as Iv put in earlier post. The managers who decide on who to interview understand that some questions should be N/A and don’t want you to make something up which apparently happens.

Last edited:

Jaysub

At the moment,im not getting through to any interview stages since i redone the 3 test in april.

I know iv passed but got a low pass and got told hr put through top 5 or 10 from them tests.

My application is still stuck on Test Completed

Should I be getting worried after nearly 2 weeks?

Mine is the same, however I suspect it will depend when the vacancy closed as they will need to have all the applications in and scored before they can move to the next stage. The position I applied for closed last Friday so in effect it's only been a week even though I submitted my application several days earlier.

Chumba

Not sure how the selection works but, over the last 24 months I've applied for 5 signaller roles, different areas and different hiring managers, have been lucky to have had 3 interviews, these I know are scored and the top score gets offered the job. Unfortunately I haven’t been successful at interview, yet ! :)

Last edited:

Rockhopper

I think it all depends on who you are up against. If other candidates score better then thats you out! Given how many apply for jobs then it has to be a very cut throat process.

P200E

I once got this for one role i applied for, but only had two emails for the whole application, one being passed the tests and was under consideration and the......wait for it, "thanks for coming to the interview but you were unsuccessful", i never got asked to interview or even went to one?!?!!?

Application Under Review 10-May-2018 18:04:20
Application Accepted 11-May-2018 07:04:27
Application Under Consideration 11-May-2018 09:38:50
Test Completed 11-May-2018 10:34:19
Test Completed 11-May-2018 14:31:10
Application Under Consideration 25-May-2018 09:59:54
Application Unsuccessful 06-Aug-2018 12:31:03
Unsuccessful 14-Aug-2018 00:08:00

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Guys word of warning - check out the East Midlands Trains Trainee Driver threads last post today.......

Be under no illusion we are being watched, as a result I’ll be withdrawing from this thread..

Best of luck all...

Guys word of warning - check out the East Midlands Trains Trainee Driver threads last post today.......

Be under no illusion we are being watched, as a result I’ll be withdrawing from this thread..

Best of luck all...

Thanks and I understand your reasons!

Nothing controversial has been said of course - just a bit of head scratching around the recruitment process!

Qball

I've had 4 interviews in the last 8 months twice was reserve candidate. Been told I'm too relaxed by one of the hiring managers. Can't seem to crack the interview stage.

Bell 1-2-1

I wouldn’t think NR would have a problem with people showing how keen they are in asking questions to help them get on board anymore than the older signallers offering friendly advice and encouragement on here, it’s reflects on the majority in a good light and tbh in the main once on board it continues off here with most people more than willing to help you improve in your role.

Chaz T

Best of luck all...

Or is it someone having a laugh?

Rockhopper

That was my thought as well! Either way it’s not an issue. I hope NR do actually monitor these threads as they’ll get an understanding of how people are finding the recruitment process.

Saracen_83

That was my thought as well! Either way it’s not an issue. I hope NR do actually monitor these threads as they’ll get an understanding of how people are finding the recruitment process.

Why would they worry about what people think???

Railway recruitment has been notoriously slow, not because they are lazy or because they don’t care, but because the shear amount of job openings and the number of applications for each role....

Just be patient and keep applying....if you are meant to get there, you will.....

P200E

Anyone know if crossing keepers work 24/7 at Norwood SB or is it like a days role