• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southernsig

Cheers guys.

I wonder if it matters that i was offered the job verbally 10th June the role was then reassigned to a new vacancy on the 3rd July official offer sent the 8th July.

Also im sorry whats an LLC rep? I've never heard of one.
Should be from the original date

Judochop

Should be from the original date

I spoke to my lom and he agreed :) just asked me to send a screen shot of the closing date and he will put in a request for a change to my salary. I thought it was 12 weeks from job offer.

Thanks again guys, very much appreciated

Chumba

I’ve just had a job alert email from NR, Lancing Signal Box x3. Job isn’t appearing yet on the NR site. IRC 2157224.

If anyone’s interested, bit too far for me to travel

Wanderer84

Thanks, it was the maths, about halfway it goes into complicated percentages and ratios, that's when it all went Pete Tong...
Yeah, those can be nasty. May I suggest getting some puzzle books, to give your mind a workout, and get used to solving those kind of questions?

It can't hurt, for next time...

I’ve just had a job alert email from NR, Lancing Signal Box x3. Job isn’t appearing yet on the NR site. IRC 2157224.

I got the same alert but can't seem to find it on the site. Has it been taken down?

There was some mention on here that the Lancing SB was going to change to 12 hour shifts. Does anyone know if this is true and if so is there a timescale?

Jaysub

Yea see that,its bout 52 miles from me,have to see what grade and roster is like!

Chumba

Yea see that,its bout 52 miles from me,have to see what grade and roster is like!

Signaller

Grade: Signaller Grade 5

Salary: £37,528 per annum (salary in training £33,952)

OverTheRails

One of mine just turned to unsuccessful. No email or anything. Weird because I’ve had interviews for others and straight to unsuccessful on this one. Hard to say what they look for sometimes.

Peterperfect

I can see it now - I was trying to check on my phone last night, so maybe that was the issue

The emails come out in the evening but the careers site doesn't update till next day. Hence why links dont work. Take it as getting a heads up on what is coming on next day.

Sunset route

Can anyone give anymore info on box and roster?

Lancing is due to get a new roster when the displaced staff from Lewes, Newhaven Town and Newhaven Harbour take up their positions there. I’m not currently not aware that any proposed roster has been agreed between the Local Managers and the Local staff reps to date.

Sunset route

I got the same alert but can't seem to find it on the site. Has it been taken down?

There was some mention on here that the Lancing SB was going to change to 12 hour shifts. Does anyone know if this is true and if so is there a timescale?

When I last spoke to my friends down Lewes/Lancing way there was no great push towards 12hr shifts but things change or views harden depending on the mix of existing and displaced staff.

Judochop

I was told in regards to lancing the extra staff is to add meal relief into the shift. No plans for 12hrs. The 8hr shift is pretty brutal and it was shared a few months back.

Qball

Don't have a box but will be based somewhere in York on 12 month contract. The LOM said everyone he put on a 12 month contract now has a permanent contract.

Last edited:

f1nch26

Has anyone on here had an interview for Bedlington recently? I had one a few of weeks ago but still heard nothing back. The LOM did say of them was going on hol, but thought we would have heard by now ☹

nr_signaller

Has anyone heard of the neasden positions as I'm enquiring on behalf of a friend and they are still sat under consideration

Sunset route

I was told in regards to lancing the extra staff is to add meal relief into the shift. No plans for 12hrs. The 8hr shift is pretty brutal and it was shared a few months back.

Not quite. Lancing”s GPR (general purpose relief) cover, for such things like annual leave and comp leave comes from from the Lewes GPR signallers. But with Lewes and the Newhaven signalboxes due to close, then a new method of providing cover had to be provided for. What was decided was to increase Lancing”s establishment to include enough staff to provide inbuilt GPR cover also taking an advantage to include meal break cover as well.

Once the new staffing levels were agreed and all the displaced staff from the Lewes area given their new loacations Lancing, TBROC, TBASC, other locations or retirement, then NR would have an idea for how many extra staff would be required for the new workstation at TBROC and the enlarged roster at Lancing beyond the existing staff.

Whinmoor

Can anybody tell me what the next update after test completed is and what kind of timeframe you are looking at normally for it to change. Whether it's a rejection or onto the next stage? I have passed the benchmark.

I've had three unsuccessfuls so far but they've only come from when I have rung up about two months after the closing date to ask if the applications still live. Same day I get a rejection email.

I've currently got another five applications live. But all on test completed again.

Thanks.

Rockhopper

Could be quite a few months or it could be a week or so. It’s not uncommon for them to change to unsuccessful when you ring up like that, I’ve heard of a few other that’s happened to. One the same day that happened to someone I know I got an invitation to interview!

Chumba

Can anybody tell me what the next update after test completed is and what kind of timeframe you are looking at normally for it to change. Whether it's a rejection or onto the next stage? I have passed the benchmark.

It can go to unsuccessful, or under consideration, or under consideration for assessment 2. As for time frames they can vary massively. I recently applied for a vacancy as did 2 others I know. Both of them went from test completed to under consideration for assessment 2 about 4 weeks ago. Mine stayed at test completed until today when it changed to under consideration for assessment 2.

JamieB

I've got an application in for Wigton SB, read through this entire thread which is very informative. I've met the required benchmark for the online tests so now I have my fingers crossed. Does anyone have any idea what the roster is like at Wigton?

MidlandsChap

Does anybody have a problem with the filters on the career search?
The salary filter activates but I am unable to amend the radius option. It stays fixed at 50 miles.