• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

LOM

as last question, not sure what you mean.... you don’t use much maths as a signaller except calculating the time for delays, giving line blocks etc, and adding train lengths together for terminus stations........
There maybe more times I use it, but those are the main times!!!

Yes as long as you can tell the time you will be grand. Only very basic primary school level maths required.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cavan

All rail staff are experts on using maths to make sure they have been paid correctly!

Midlands_lad

Am I right in thinking that you don’t work shifts after your training until you have been signed off at your box? Does that include weekends and bank holidays?

Saracen_83

Am I right in thinking that you don’t work shifts after your training until you have been signed off at your box? Does that include weekends and bank holidays?

depends on location, I trained mon -fri 8 hours a day, different times of the day to learn the panels, the service etc....

Some people have gone straight on to their roster (12hours) and followed that to train (including night shifts, and sundays)

so really is location and trainee dependant. Talk to your LOM and see what they say, and tell them what you want, and how you think you’d learn best etc, hopefully you can come up with what is best for you and them.

Fraz

I know it’s already been mentioned on here but I just want to check, the ‘instrument’ online assessment is the situational judgement test?

Kraken

I know it’s already been mentioned on here but I just want to check, the ‘instrument’ online assessment is the situational judgement test?

From having done it earlier today, yes it is. And boy am I glad the numerical test was significantly easier than the practice test!

Can I echo previous posters thanks for the existence of this thread, the enthusiasm shown by the current signallers and their willingness to patiently explain things is definitely a part of why I took the plunge and applied for 5 signaller jobs today! I’ve only managed to get to about page 210 on my read-through so I’ll refrain from asking any bone questions just yet but I’m sure they’re coming!

Danny5213

From having done it earlier today, yes it is. And boy am I glad the numerical test was significantly easier than the practice test!

Can I echo previous posters thanks for the existence of this thread, the enthusiasm shown by the current signallers and their willingness to patiently explain things is definitely a part of why I took the plunge and applied for 5 signaller jobs today! I’ve only managed to get to about page 210 on my read-through so I’ll refrain from asking any bone questions just yet but I’m sure they’re coming!

Hi Kraken, I'm planning on applying at some point and I'm wary of the numerical tests. I'm assuming they send a practice test beforehand once you're application has been accepted? I've not seen the practice tests but I've been a couple of websites with practice questions and some are really hard in that they were very long winded ie you have to calculate lots of data which is time consuming. It was taking me a couple of mins just to work out what it was asking! Are the tests similar to the attached example which seem far more reasonable in the time limits. I imagine there will be a lot more with ratios and percentages rather than adding and subtracting?

Attachments

• tests1.jpg
    tests1.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 42

Kraken

Hi Kraken, I'm planning on applying at some point and I'm wary of the numerical tests. I'm assuming they send a practice test beforehand once you're application has been accepted? I've not seen the practice tests but I've been a couple of websites with practice questions and some are really hard in that they were very long winded ie you have to calculate lots of data which is time consuming. It was taking me a couple of mins just to work out what it was asking! Are the tests similar to the attached example which seem far more reasonable in the time limits. I imagine there will be a lot more with ratios and percentages rather than adding and subtracting?

Hi Danny, if you go on the SHL website there are some practise tests you can do for each. There are also 10 practice questions before you do the test itself. I found the numerical reasoning practice extremely tough and did not finish, it shook me a little bit. The practice questions before the proper exam are much more representative of the real questions. I was relieved that I found the real test less challenging than the SHL practice test (although still definitely no joke). Having said that I haven’t received the results yet so entirely possible I creamed in :)

I don’t want to post too much about it in case we get in trouble but if you gen up on the calculation of percentages and interpretation of graphs and tables you should be fine. It’s comparable to the example you posted.

ChrisG85

A question for the people who are on the 27/4 intake, and others if it applies.
I've been offered a position, had my medical and passed all the tests. I have however been told "no lone working" as I have arthritis. The arthritis is managed by medication but the lone working restriction is "in case of joint flare up". Now I'm being told that NR may not set me on because of this. The hiring manager is fighting my corner for me as he agrees that I could do the job perfectly well. Has anybody else had the lone working restriction put in place before employment? And if so, did you still end up being employed with NR? I'll call the hiring manager at some point to find out how things are progressing but I don't want to be bothering him, especially in the current climate.
Thanks in advance.

7Paul7

A question for the people who are on the 27/4 intake, and others if it applies.
I've been offered a position, had my medical and passed all the tests. I have however been told "no lone working" as I have arthritis. The arthritis is managed by medication but the lone working restriction is "in case of joint flare up". Now I'm being told that NR may not set me on because of this. The hiring manager is fighting my corner for me as he agrees that I could do the job perfectly well. Has anybody else had the lone working restriction put in place before employment? And if so, did you still end up being employed with NR? I'll call the hiring manager at some point to find out how things are progressing but I don't want to be bothering him, especially in the current climate.
Thanks in advance.

someone asked similar on page 246 of this thread,

Danny5213

Hi Danny, if you go on the SHL website there are some practise tests you can do for each. There are also 10 practice questions before you do the test itself. I found the numerical reasoning practice extremely tough and did not finish, it shook me a little bit. The practice questions before the proper exam are much more representative of the real questions. I was relieved that I found the real test less challenging than the SHL practice test (although still definitely no joke). Having said that I haven’t received the results yet so entirely possible I creamed in :)

I don’t want to post too much about it in case we get in trouble but if you gen up on the calculation of percentages and interpretation of graphs and tables you should be fine. It’s comparable to the example you posted.

Yeah I tried those practice ones on the SHL website and I found them quite hard. I’ve been doing quite a few tests that I’ve found online and been doing OK but timing is the main issue. I can’t realistically apply just yet as I can’t leave my job 'til Jan. it’ll be a case of waiting a few a fair few months yet I think. Good luck with your results

7Paul7

I'm on the 27/4 intake also I would guess it would stop you applying for boxes that are single manned but not from applying for a signalling centre roll when we have to start applying

ChrisG85

I'm on the 27/4 intake also I would guess it would stop you applying for boxes that are single manned but not from applying for a signalling centre roll when we have to start applying
That's what I thought, but there's talk of terminating my application because of it. Obviously I'm a little concerned because I really want the job. I guess it's just a case of fingers crossed.

SiggerSigAhh

Just wondering...

I'm a signaller and thus can still travel around when going to/from work due to the nature of the job.

Now we've entered full lockdown mode as a country, are scheduled LB's and T3's still likely to take place? Only reason I ask is that the letter I have to explain why I'm out of the house only mentions signallers, SSM'S, MOM's etc.

Purely just wondering out of curiosity really. Appreciate if it's urgent then it'll still go ahead, but is everything else likely to be knocked on the head for the time being?

High Dyke

Established Member
And don't forget, maintenance staff arranging protection should not be visiting signal boxes at the current time, unless the work is required in that signal box. They should be making requests by telephone. Though this current situation does make a mess of the welfare provision policy.

LOM

I had the welfare argument with Maintenance last week. We have been very clear; no non-essential visitors in signalboxes at all, no exceptions.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Routine maintenance still needs to take place I would of thought or routes would been closing.

This where deciding who is a key worker get complex, without PWay / S& T we can’t run trains, with planners the above can do their work, without IT the planners can’t do their work.

Sanatogen

I believe if points can be maintained in normal then they can go without maintenance without being signed out of use, we’ve been asked to come up with a list of such points in order to effectively plain line as much as possible.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Makes sense, might be an issue at major terminals however.

The main thing is we all stay safe guys.

Allaboard78

I have a question about internal vacancies....why would a post be advertised externally and how long after an internal vacancy goes out would it be advertised externally?

Leafage

I have a question about internal vacancies....why would a post be advertised externally and how long after an internal vacancy goes out would it be advertised externally?
I would imagine that an interval vacancy would go external if there are little or no parties interested.
I'm not sure on the time scale, however I'm confident that this has been answered before.
I'd strongly advise having a look through ALL of the pages in this thread. It's a huge and useful mine of information.