• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

father_jack

Would this mean that whoever happens to get the job would end their contract with Network Rail then it be up to Transport for Wales to re-employ you? As the advert doesn't state that it is a FTC
TUPE would/should apply. And you'll get a TfW and I assume a TOCNE priv pass, which Network Rail staff don't get, as someone not far from this post knows very well.....

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
What does this mean going forward?

All the Network Rail staff currently employed at these two signalling locations, and “Core Valley Lines” PWay, S&T etc asset locations will transfer over to infrastructure arm of Transport for Wales. They’ll then be in receipt of TfW staff benefits which include free and reduced travel - Network Rail Wales & Western staff only get a number of reduced price tickets per year at the moment.

You will however lose the access to a truly national vacancy list, and the certainly of a nationalised pension scheme, and one that is in surplus.

I think there is 25 signalling staff due to transfer over to TfW infrastructure arm at some point this year, it’s been kicked back from last year, then 31/01/20.

The all new “Pebble” at Taff Wells will be brand new, so will benefit from significant amount of money being spent on staff accommodation, and hopefully equipment. Rumours have it there’ll be three WestCad workstations covering Core Valley Lines so at least four signallers on Shift each 12hrs.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Would this mean that whoever happens to get the job would end their contract with Network Rail then it be up to Transport for Wales to re-employ you? As the advert doesn't state that it is a FTC

As above, Sunday you’d work for Network Rail - Monday you’d work for the infrastructure arm of TfW.
Once Taff Wells Pebble comes on stream your place of work will also move.

bouff34

Quick question what's better HROP OF LROP?

They're identical in terms of reward it just depends what suits your circumstances - extra pay or extra day off. If you wanted to reduce how much you were liable to 40% tax you might conclude LROP and the extra day off is better for you. If you particularly wanted more take home cash then HROP would suit (or you could opt to pay the extra in to your pension and therefore also save on the tax).

Neither is better, it depends on what suits your circumstances.

Saracen_83

They're identical in terms of reward it just depends what suits your circumstances - extra pay or extra day off. If you wanted to reduce how much you were liable to 40% tax you might conclude LROP and the extra day off is better for you. If you particularly wanted more take home cash then HROP would suit (or you could opt to pay the extra in to your pension and therefore also save on the tax).

Neither is better, it depends on what suits your circumstances.

also remember if you work the night into the bank holiday you just get paid the basic rate...

also something to consider (unless it just my place!!!) but if you work the bank holiday night, if you opt for HROP, you only get that for the hours worked on the bank holiday, ie 1800-0000, then it is just basic pay for remainder of the shift, however is you opt for LROP, you still get a full days comp leave...
So in my eyes, if you work a BH night, your better off opting for the LROP,

however as mentioned it all personal, and I and others mentioned, depends weather you want a higher pay packet or extra time off!!!

headshot119

Established Member
Guess I'll take the extra time off

One aspect I don't think people have discussed just now, is that if you take the LROP option, and bank the comp day, you have 12 months from the date of issue in which to use it. If you don't use it within that time it gets paid to you in cash.

bouff34

also remember if you work the night into the bank holiday you just get paid the basic rate...

also something to consider (unless it just my place!!!) but if you work the bank holiday night, if you opt for HROP, you only get that for the hours worked on the bank holiday, ie 1800-0000, then it is just basic pay for remainder of the shift, however is you opt for LROP, you still get a full days comp leave...
So in my eyes, if you work a BH night, your better off opting for the LROP,

however as mentioned it all personal, and I and others mentioned, depends weather you want a higher pay packet or extra time off!!!

Is there a guide to all the pay regs somewhere? I have come from 26 years in the police where it probably took me ten to fifteen years before I fully understood the complexities of pay and entitlements (and the vast majority of officers never get to fully grasp it)! I've only been in the grade around a year and it looks to me that it will take me a similar length of time to fully understand Signaller pay! Is it all written down somewhere in an easy to understand format????

LOM

One aspect I don't think people have discussed just now, is that if you take the LROP option, and bank the comp day, you have 12 months from the date of issue in which to use it. If you don't use it within that time it gets paid to you in cash.

Well not in actual real folding money any more!

desrudy

On Moderation
I know it's been mentioned already. But does anyone know if the 27/04 York future opportunities recruitment/signaller school is still going ahead?
I am going to have to hand my notice in shortly in a secure job and dont want to find myself with nothing if it doesn't go ahead or they end our contracts.
Any advice please?

As we fall under ‘key workers’ the start date is still going ahead it just may be that there are some changes to how signalling school will be run to comply with current government guidelines.

It's the answer i've got .

PS : I corrected/edit my previous post lol

Last edited:

Javagem

As we fall under ‘key workers’ the start date is still going ahead it just may be that there are some changes to how signalling school will be run to comply with current government guidelines

It's the answer i've got

great news!!

Mi&Li

Does anybody know what the numbers mean on job adverts? It would seem they typically begin 10 and are 6 digits but an example is:

OB Appleby LOM (105234) G2

is it the box? Or the LOM?

nom de guerre

Is there a guide to all the pay regs somewhere? I have come from 26 years in the police where it probably took me ten to fifteen years before I fully understood the complexities of pay and entitlements (and the vast majority of officers never get to fully grasp it)! I've only been in the grade around a year and it looks to me that it will take me a similar length of time to fully understand Signaller pay! Is it all written down somewhere in an easy to understand format????

I don’t think there is. (Happy to be corrected!)

Any specific queries, Bouff?

Peterperfect

On the RMT members page are all the documents.

Javagem

I think it’s all defined in your contract, I know there is reference to differing rates on the one I got.

thebigmusic

Evening folks, newbie here. Been steadily working my way through this wonderful, supportive thread, as I've got to the bit in my (external) applications for the role of Signaller (three positions up North!) where I'm starting to be very concerned about how "in the dark" I am as to how hard the numerical part of the test I've been invited to do actually is.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. It's reassured me a little. Some of the questions in the harder full tests were taking me a couple of mins just to work out what it was asking me to calculate! I get the impression that a lot of these online practice tests are made more difficult in order to worry people into paying for these practice subscriptions. I'll not be taking them lightly though.

I've also been spooked by the website with the free SHL tests on - I'm not even finishing the practice tests and getting really frustrated because I find them so difficult to get my head around. It's the most difficult maths I've done since school, and I work in a job that uses maths (percentages, ratios etc) daily to calculate various volumes and things.

Having read quite a few posts recently suggesting your maths doesn't have to be incredible to gain a pass score, is this broadly the experience of everyone else who has taken these tests recently? IE they are significantly more straightforward than the Free SHL practice tests?

Many thanks folks, this thread has been invaluable so far!

Danny5213

Evening folks, newbie here. Been steadily working my way through this wonderful, supportive thread, as I've got to the bit in my (external) applications for the role of Signaller (three positions up North!) where I'm starting to be very concerned about how "in the dark" I am as to how hard the numerical part of the test I've been invited to do actually is.

I've also been spooked by the website with the free SHL tests on - I'm not even finishing the practice tests and getting really frustrated because I find them so difficult to get my head around. It's the most difficult maths I've done since school, and I work in a job that uses maths (percentages, ratios etc) daily to calculate various volumes and things.

Having read quite a few posts recently suggesting your maths doesn't have to be incredible to gain a pass score, is this broadly the experience of everyone else who has taken these tests recently? IE they are significantly more straightforward than the Free SHL practice tests?

Hi big music. I’ve not done them yet but I reckon they will be worded slightly more straightforward and less time consuming than a lot of the practice tests out there. You’ve probably seen the 3 or 4 ‘example’ questions on that shl website which are considerably more straightforward than those text heavy questions on the ‘full practice’. I suspect the questions will be in the style of the example ones although I expect some will get you thinking more. There’s a site called job step prep or something but they charge you 40 quid for a package. It is daunting though isn’t it

amanda08

I’m checking vacancies everyday and I’m getting the daily email notification too. I’ve noticed the last few emails have listed new vacancies which can not be seen by just searching on the site? For instance this evening a role in Shrewsbury is listed on the email but is no where to be found just on nwr site? I can apply via the email link so I assume it’s a live vacancy. Am I somehow searching wrong? Worried I may be missing vacancies I could be applying for.
Thanks

9tfrizzco

Keep looking at the SHL ones. Analyse them. Take them as many times as you can. I can't guarantee this will secure you an interview for a signalller role for one minute- as it's very competitive, but that's my best advice to you

9tfrizzco

I honestly think that the SHL practice tests are overly difficult to try and get you to pay subscription fees for practice packages and whatnot. Call me cynical if you like, but for me it was striking how much easier the official ones are

Last edited:

Kadot

During the current situation, has anyone had an invite to an interview, following successful coompletion of the online assessments?