• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Are you guys really deciding whether to accept a job on what the roster is like?

You do realise rosters change, for better and worse? You realise your not chained to your starting locaction for life?

You've been offered probably the best job on the railway, grab it with both hands !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRain87

2nd best ;)

But totally agree! Focus on applying and interview...worry about Roster if you get it

Are you guys really deciding whether to accept a job on what the roster is like?

You do realise rosters change, for better and worse? You realise your not chained to your starting locaction for life?

You've been offered probably the best job on the railway, grab it with both hands !

I confess that going to a box with an 8 hour roster has played on my mind a bit after seeing some of the examples on here but it never stopped me taking the job. Longer term I hope to move somewhere a little closer which even if it doesn't have a 12 hour roster, would at least be an easier commute. I can't wait to start!

Woody27

At the moment, all signaller opportunities are absolutely miles away! I live in Plymouth, most are in the north east, postings down here a very rare, should I apply and hope that something comes up?

TRain87

At the moment, all signaller opportunities are absolutely miles away! I live in Plymouth, most are in the north east, postings down here a very rare, should I apply and hope that something comes up?
Are you willing to move? Anything over 1 hour away, I think you'll find hard to get in

Allaboard78

No, not at all. I'm just so curious about all aspects of the job and working life. I think the shut down has amplified that as you spend so much more time thinking about things, especially as hr is so slow. If I were offered a job I wouldn't care what the shifts were :)

SiggysigAah

No! It makes no difference to me.

danners430

I think it's less to do with accepting or rejecting a job based on the roster - those of us on here who are aspiring signallers are simply curious about the various aspects of the role... And when we apply for a job, of course we're curious to find out as much as possible about the job. In my case, the questions I've asked have always been after I applied - it's extra info because I'm curious, but it ain't gonna affect my decision to apply!

Sunset route

Established Member
How many hours per week are you contracted as a signaller?

Just to add to what “LOM” has said. The week is defined as Monday to Saturday for the purposes of your basic salary. Sunday is outside the working week and any shifts worked on Sunday either from the base roster (virtually compulsory) or extra shifts will all be overtime.

cpowell93

Does anybody know the locations of the signal boxes in the north west/Lancashire?

Have most been moved over to Manchester?

DRS66421

Hi, the questions are the actual application form. Apparently there are 70 questions on the normal application form but on the future opportunities for north/eastern, there are only 6. For the future opportunities role, I completed the application form (6 questions) along with attaching my CV. I received an email the next day saying they’d received my application. A day or 2 later I received another saying my application is under consideration and if successful I will be invited to an ‘online virtual assessment’ and video interview but a decision won’t be made until after the closing date. With the normal process I think if you pass the application stage (70 questions) you get an email inviting you to those shl tests.
Hi, do you know when the closing date is? I may apply for this again and see if anything changes. Thanks.

jmoz

Hi - I see a new job posted for Wokingham, GB > OD Guildford Signallers (103355) G1. I know there is a signal box on the station/level crossing, so am assuming the job would be located there - can anyone confirm?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Hi - I see a new job posted for Wokingham, GB > OD Guildford Signallers (103355) G1. I know there is a signal box on the station/level crossing, so am assuming the job would be located there - can anyone confirm?
Yes it would

jmoz

Yes it would
Thanks for the answer! I know that area well and the busy line into Waterloo, station, level crossing and all on a very busy road junction must make it fairly challenging. Hence grade 5 I guess. Is it a single manned box do you know?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Thanks for the answer! I know that area well and the busy line into Waterloo, station, level crossing and all on a very busy road junction must make it fairly challenging. Hence grade 5 I guess. Is it a single manned box do you know?
It is yes, covers Earley to Blackwater and Bracknell. Three level crossings, the one outside the signal box, one on Easthampsted Road (Star Lane crossing, controlled via CCTV from Wokingham box) and one on Waterloo Road (Waterloo AHB, works automatically but supervised by Wokingham box).
On the challenging side for a single crewed box (at least 10 trains per hour off peak) but a good starter box with plenty to keep you interested.

jmoz

It is yes, covers Earley to Blackwater and Bracknell. Three level crossings, the one outside the signal box, one on Easthampsted Road (Star Lane crossing, controlled via CCTV from Wokingham box) and one on Waterloo Road (Waterloo AHB, works automatically but supervised by Wokingham box).
On the challenging side for a single crewed box (at least 10 trains per hour off peak) but a good starter box with plenty to keep you interested.
Sounds perfect, will apply! Thanks for all the info

89jordanbj

Finally managed to get an application past the Test Completed status and under consideration with the hiring manager. From a HM perspective what would you primarily focus on when shortlisting for interviews? I.e Test scores, quality of CV, 70 Qs etc.

Danny Boy

There has been mention on this thread about travel concessions with SWR for Wessex area NR staff. Can anyone shine any light on how this works in practice and what the concessions comprise?

Thanks in advance

As part of the formal offer pack you get a form to get a SWR pass for use on the entire Wessex Route which gives you free work & leisure travel, you can subsequently get passes for any dependents for leisure travel only. The pass arrives about 2-3 weeks after you start.

croydonboy

Hi all, I have applied for New Cross Gate signal box recently. Does anyone have any information on the panels? is it NX or VDU? Will the box be getting transferred to a ROC any time soon? Also I've read on here that it is ran on 12 hr roster, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

nom de guerre

New Cross Gate is VDU and 12 hours. One signaller and an SSM on duty each shift - the latter give breaks.

No relocation plans, AFAIA. The box is already located in a kind of London Overground mini-ROC at NXG depot along with control and admin staff.