• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

amanda08

Hi Amanda, how long did it take for you the change to 'invite to assessment'? I applied for a role over a month ago and my application has been sat at 'test completed' for 3 week now.

Best of luck.
I applied for these two roles on 30th March. But i have other applications from February which are still at test complete or under consideration for assessment two, so a mixed bag really.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Questiontime

I applied for these two roles on 30th March. But i have other applications from longer February which are still at test complete or under consideration for assessment two, so a mixed bag really.

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the update, I understand how it may be a longer wait with the current situation.

I notice that you have an interview next week, best of luck! Is it a face to face interview or a Skype interview?

amanda08

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the update, I understand how it may be a longer wait with the current situation.

I notice that you have an interview next week, best of luck! Is it a face to face interview or a Skype interview?
Thank you! Yes, interview is online

Kraken

Oakham -resident and relief roles, though I think one or the other will be interviewed for but I’m not sure which yet. Email said I would hear in advance

I just got binned off for Oakham but I’m pleased someone on here has a chance at it - good luck Amanda!

Pugman

Hi all, I have been following this thread from afar for some time. I currently have a Skype interview next week for the Crossing Keeper job at Pantyffynnon (I failed to get an interview recently for the Kidwelly Signaller position advertised). Is anyone able to give me an idea of how long the job is likely to last? I have read that Pantyffynnon is due to close in 2020 but know that these dates move often and that is quite possibly incorrect... If the box was to close is the crossing keeper likely to remain? Finally, it seems that the shifts in this area are 12hr from what I have read. Can anyone tell me if they know that this is the case at Pantyffynnon? Many thanks in advance :)

Mi&Li

Has anybody had an update on their application for the north/east future opportunities?

amanda08

Has anybody had an update on their application for the north/east future opportunities?
My application went awol online. Received an email today with a screening form to fill in. Deadline was 30th so hopefully news will come after then?

Wilsonj194

Mine as only just been submitted via Email application as I couldn't finish the application online. The issue is the role closed on the 24th so I fear it may be thrown out.

LOM

How much annual leave do you get as a signaller? Are 8hr boxes different to 12hr? Thanks in advance.

12hrs = 17 days rising to 19 after 10 years service
8hrs = 25 rising to 27 after 10 years service

Base rosters with turns in between 8 and 12hrs are worked out according to an abstruse formula from the SRI.

Mi&Li

My application went awol online. Received an email today with a screening form to fill in. Deadline was 30th so hopefully news will come after then?
I had it in my head the deadline was the 24th. My email today said I’d moved to the second review stage but I don’t even know what the first review stage was. What’s involved in a screening form?

Allaboard78

12hrs = 17 days rising to 19 after 10 years service
8hrs = 25 rising to 27 after 10 years service

Base rosters with turns in between 8 and 12hrs are worked out according to an abstruse formula from the SRI.
Thank you lom!

amanda08

I had it in my head the deadline was the 24th. My email today said I’d moved to the second review stage but I don’t even know what the first review stage was. What’s involved in a screening form?
It just said my initial application answers were missing so I had to redo them. Though from what I can remember there were less questions when I actually applied than on the form received today. It just said if they did not hear from me by the 30th, my application would be withdrawn. I'm not sure what the original deadline was though.

Mi&Li

It just said my initial application answers were missing so I had to redo them. Though from what I can remember there were less questions when I actually applied than on the form received today. It just said if they did not hear from me by the 30th, my application would be withdrawn. I'm not sure what the original deadline was though.
Ah ok I see. It sounds as though a few people had trouble with this one, definitely some kind of glitch in the application process. Good luck anyhow!

headshot119

Established Member
Can someone please explain why there are different wage/ grade with being a signaller ?

Because there is a vast difference between working a "straight up and down" Grade 2 with one train an hour, to a Grade 9 panel with a 14 platform station, different routes, and 60 trains an hour.

Deanr1979

Yes. Got an email today saying I have successfully been moved to the second review stage. Will receive an invitation for virtual assessment and interview if I’m successful. Fingers crossed. I also have an application under consideration from January for a grade 2 at Bedlington. I wonder if I’d have to do the online tests again if I progress.

amanda08

Can anyone point me to where can I find more info about particular signal boxes? I’ve tried searching online for info about Oakham, but am coming up short. I want to make sure I’m as prepared as possible and of course, due to Covid, it is not possible to make a box visit.

i know it covers Birmingham to Peterborough line,and is used by EMR and Cross Country. I’m not sure how much more I would be expected to know?

Thanks

Last edited:

9tfrizzco

Did you get to the bottom of what is happening with you next week? I've recieved joining instructions and hotel reservations for York ( not Preston now)
My induction process is taking place online at home. Not got a start date for school yet. Still awaiting more information on what will be happening until then

7Paul7

My induction process is taking place online at home. Not got a start date for school yet. Still awaiting more information on what will be happening until then

We tried that but a lot of the induction videos require you to be logged onto a network rail PC so couldn't complete the majority of it at this time