• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

amanda08

Yes that is how it should be. It is buried in the blue book or the SRI somewhere.

That’s very good to know! So. Should get the 18%as soon as I’m signed off my home box? I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on that then!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ryan86

Good evening,
Recently applied for the grade 3 position at Uttoxeter SB, it’s literally round the corner from my house so would be ideal. I’m currently a gas engineer so will be a complete career change for me. I did the SHL assessments about 10 days ago, which came back that I had reached the required benchmark. How long do you normally wait to find out if you will get an interview? If I get an interview is there anything i really need to prepare for?

Cheers,

Ryan

How long do you normally wait to find out if you will get an interview? If I get an interview is there anything i really need to prepare for?
Hey Ryan
Could be days, could be months unfortunately! Don't hold your breath.
If you get an interview - read this thread it's everything and anything you could want to know!

crusty

The mark itself isn't super high to pass but passing does not mean progression. If you pass you then are scored against all the other candidates for each post when working out who to interview - so for one post you may be top 5 but another at the bottom. The same scores are used each time.

You can only take them once then your scores are valid for 12 months. If you do badly you can retake them after 6 months after contacting HR I think.

That’s really helpful, thank you

LOM

Does anyone know what kind of pass mark is required? And if your CV and assessment questions are good, do they make allowances for a not very good pass mark?
The benchmark is not public knowledge. No allowances are made for any other part of your application.
That’s very good to know! So. Should get the 18%as soon as I’m signed off my home box? I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on that then!
That is the thoery but HR sometimes need reminding.
How long do you normally wait to find out if you will get an interview?
The hiring manager is not supposed to start shortlisting candiates until a week after the advert closes (to allow everyone a chance to do the SHL tests). They then have 5 working days to finalise the shortlist and update the candidates statuses with either a rejection or an invite.

Last edited:

amanda08

Thanks LOM - the 18% is a decent chunk so I'll make sure it's done correctly. Very glad you gave me the heads up!

89jordanbj

The benchmark is not public knowledge. No allowances are made for any other part of your application.

That is the thoery but HR sometimes need reminding.

The hiring manager is not supposed to start shortlisting candiates until a week after the advert closes (to allow everyone a chance to do the SHL tests). They then have 5 working days to finalise the shortlist and update the candidates statuses with either a rejection or an invite.

Does this mean effectively the shortlist should be done within 12 days of the advert closing or have I misread?

I have a few applications in which closed months ago and was advised by the recruitment team that shortlisting hasn't taken place for any of them as of yet.

LOM

Does this mean effectively the shortlist should be done within 12 days of the advert closing or have I misread?

I have a few applications in which closed months ago and was advised by the recruitment team that shortlisting hasn't taken place for any of them as of yet.

That is how Recruitment want it to happen, yes. But timescales can slip depending on what is happening operationally and things have been a bit up in the air with the current crisis anyway.

MattP7

Good evening,
Recently applied for the grade 3 position at Uttoxeter SB, it’s literally round the corner from my house so would be ideal. I’m currently a gas engineer so will be a complete career change for me. I did the SHL assessments about 10 days ago, which came back that I had reached the required benchmark. How long do you normally wait to find out if you will get an interview? If I get an interview is there anything i really need to prepare for?

Cheers,

Ryan
Also applied for this position, did my SHL assessment yesterday and got notification that I'd reached the benchmark earlier today even though I thought I had done poorly on them. Since I applied on the closing date it seems to have moved quickly hopefully we hear something soon.

Gallius

Does anyone know what the situation is with Signaller school now? Are they now being run locally or does this only apply to certain routes?

desrudy

On Moderation
I live in London and until now i have only see grade 7-9 in the great london o_O .
So i have quite some questions :

What are the workstations of Wimbledon Sig Cen ( Grade 7 ) ?
What are the difference between Wimbledon Sig Cen , Wimbledon SCC , Wimbledon ACC and what kind of signalling system are in use there ?

Ryan86

Also applied for this position, did my SHL assessment yesterday and got notification that I'd reached the benchmark earlier today even though I thought I had done poorly on them. Since I applied on the closing date it seems to have moved quickly hopefully we hear something soon.
Yeah hopefully, given the current situation it may be a while though. Think a lot will apply for it.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I live in London and until now i have only see grade 7-9 in the great london o_O .
So i have quite some questions :

What are the workstations of Wimbledon Sig Cen ( Grade 7 ) ?
What are the difference between Wimbledon Sig Cen , Wimbledon SCC , Wimbledon ACC and what kind of signalling system are in use there ?
There is only one signalling location in Wimbledon, officially called Wimbledon Area Signalling Centre or ASC. Various things are entered into Oracle but they all mean the same location.
There are 5 entry-exit panels. Panels 1-3 are Grade 9 (or A) link and Panels 4 & 5 are Grade 7 (or B) link
Panel 4 covers from country end of Raynes Park (on the Epsom line, it doesn't control any of the main line) and Ewell East to Bookham and Mickelham Tunnel (between Leatherhead & Boxhill), including the Chessington south branch. Fringes to Panel 3, Three Bridges ROC (Sutton W/S), Guildford ASC and Dorking signal box. 3 CCTV crossings and Epsom sidings.
Panel 5 covers from Putney to Chiswick and North Sheen. Fringes to Panel 2 and Feltham ASC Panels 1 & 2. 5 CCTV crossings.

Danny Boy

Does anyone know what the situation is with Signaller school now? Are they now being run locally or does this only apply to certain routes?

I’m currently at York Signalling School in week 6.
Things seem to be moving now as there have been 3 or 4 courses start after ours, also aware that there are also course started at Basingstoke and Ashford.

However you will need to take into account that social distancing is in place so class sizes are being limited to in most cases half of what they were pre-covid, there are 5 in ours & there are only a certain amount of simulators and trainers available so though things are moving there still may be a wait for a school place

Midlands_lad

Things seem to be moving now as there have been 3 or 4 courses start after ours, also aware that there are also course started at Basingstoke and Ashford.

However you will need to take into account that social distancing is in place so class sizes are being limited to in most cases half of what they were pre-covid, there are 5 in ours & there are only a certain amount of simulators and trainers available so though things are moving there still may be a wait for a school place
Can you confirm if the course is now 10 weeks or still the 12?

Gallius

Yea, it's been 4 months since I was offered the job and there's no signs of me starting yet. From what I've heard my location have been told they need to run training locally but until recently they had no one trained to deliver it. I've been told there is a course running in July but it is serving all locations on the route so there may not be any places allocated to my location. With one trainer and 6 people max to a class I fear I will be waiting a long time before I can start!

Midlands_lad

I was offered a job in January and have been told that I start signalling school on the 6th July. Recruitment also told me that local training centres are being set up to get more people trained. I will be going to a local training centre.

Gallius

I was offered a job in January and have been told that I start signalling school on the 6th July. Recruitment also told me that local training centres are being set up to get more people trained. I will be going to a local training centre.
Yes, I believe I will eventually be going to the same training centre as yourself. From what I've been told, demand for training places is a lot higher this year which might explain the use of local training centres. I don't think it will mean getting a training place any quicker though, not from my experience so far.

LOM

There is huge demand for school places at the moment and especially now with social distancing the centres cannot keep up. They are supposed to be recruiting more trainers, the trouble with that is most signallers would not even consider making the move because of the pay cut.

I have also heard rumours of a new structure to the course (again!) involving computer based simulation instead of the ‘hands on’ type. That would mean training could take place virtually anywhere.

Last edited:

desrudy

On Moderation
There is only one signalling location in Wimbledon, officially called Wimbledon Area Signalling Centre or ASC. Various things are entered into Oracle but they all mean the same location.
There are 5 entry-exit panels. Panels 1-3 are Grade 9 (or A) link and Panels 4 & 5 are Grade 7 (or B) link
Panel 4 covers from country end of Raynes Park (on the Epsom line, it doesn't control any of the main line) and Ewell East to Bookham and Mickelham Tunnel (between Leatherhead & Boxhill), including the Chessington south branch. Fringes to Panel 3, Three Bridges ROC (Sutton W/S), Guildford ASC and Dorking signal box. 3 CCTV crossings and Epsom sidings.
Panel 5 covers from Putney to Chiswick and North Sheen. Fringes to Panel 2 and Feltham ASC Panels 1 & 2. 5 CCTV crossings.

Thanks you for your explanation . Last question , what do the panels 1,2,3 covers ?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Thanks you for your explanation . Last question , what do the panels 1,2,3 covers ?
No worries
Very broadly speaking Panel 1 does Waterloo platforms 1-14 to the cutting south of Clapham Junction, panel 2 does Waterloo 15-24 to Putney, panel 3 does the cutting south of Clapham Junction to Berrylands, Norbiton and the fringe to Panel 4, as well as the line used by the District as far as East Putney

amanda08

Gosh, I feel very lucky to have been given a training date so soon after successful interview!

nom de guerre

This scenario kept recurring on a line near my former box. The LOM compromised and agreed to full pay once trainees had passed out at half the boxes, providing that included the three most challenging locations.

amanda08

This scenario kept recurring on a line near my former box. The LOM compromised and agreed to full pay once trainees had passed out at half the boxes, providing that included the three most challenging locations.
So much varying info here!
I’ve heard full pay after passing out at least two boxes, but it sounds like that’s not the case? This should definitely be made clearer in the job description or offer stage! I’ve heard I may have to sign off up to 11 boxes! That’s going to be a long wait for full pay for me!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
So much varying info here!
I’ve heard full pay after passing out at least two boxes, but it sounds like that’s not the case? This should definitely be made clearer in the job description or offer stage! I’ve heard I may have to sign off up to 11 boxes! That’s going to be a long wait for full pay for me!

I would speak to your local RMT rep once your on site, there may well be a local agreement in place.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Can anyone please tell me which route doe Liverpool St G9 box work?

Thanks
Grade 9 link
Liverpool Street W/S
Liverpool Street station to Cambridge Heath/Mile End
Stratford W/S
Mile End to Forest Gate inclusive of various bits
Ilford W/S
Forest Gate to Harold Wood (incl Romford-Upminster)
Shenfield W/S
Harold Wood to Mountnessing (between Shenfield and Ingatestone)/Southend Victoria/Southminster
Witham W/S
Mountnessing to Chitts Hill (between Marks Tey and Colchester, fringe to Colchester PSB), including Witham to Braintree & Marks Tey to Sudbury
For the sake of completeness
Grade 8 link
Hackney W/S
Cambridge Heath to Rectory Road/Chingford (including to Coppermill Junction excl, between Clapton and Tottenham Hale)
Brimsdown W/S
Rectory Road/Lea Bridge to Enfield Town/Cadmore Lane (between Cheshunt and Broxbourne)
Harlow W/S
Cadmore Lane to Fullers End (just south of Elsenham, fringe to Cambridge PSB), including Hertford East and Stansted Airport