• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I would say if my area is anything to go by the majority still are in the RMT but it is getting slimmer every year. Most of my recent new starts have not joined, though I am sure they have their reasons for that.

I am still in the RMT from my time in the grade and I would urge any new start (or old hand!) to join.

Being an ex Guard I felt deeply let down by our Union nationally, but locally I’ve been helped by them and can’t fault them.
In the grade, there is a feeling locally we where let down badly during the 12hr roster dispute so few a number left.
I very much doubt you’d have a national walk out now because the majority aren’t in, or feel disengaged from the union.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nom de guerre

Carlisle and Preston are both Grade 7.

Not sure about the Cumbrian Coast reliefs but the various ones covering the S&C are generally on 24% flexi.

LOM

I used to prefer nights when I was a signaller and I would have done them permanently if I could.

I have sometimes thought there would be a case for dividing each area into a permanent night link and a permanent day link, with seperate night & day residents and night & day reliefs and letting people choose which link they wanted to join. Would get around the fatigue issues of trying to adapt the body clock between the shifts. I think some parts of the ship/marine world work like that. Far too radical a change for the railway though.

Last edited:

ffesti

Does anyone know how long the hope valley has before it gets swallowed up by Manchester and York ROCs? I’ve been offered (and accepted) the job at Edale and can’t wait to start - just wondering how much risk there is of the box getting closed any time soon?

Chumba

I used to prefer nights when I was a signaller and I would have done them permanently if I could.

I have sometimes thought there would be a case for dividing each area into a permanent night link and a permanent day link, with seperate night & day residents and night & day reliefs and letting people choose which link they wanted to join. Would get around the fatigue issues of trying to adapt the body clock between the shifts. I think some parts of the ship/marine world work like that. Far too radical a change for the railway though.

When I worked shifts I preferred nights, I could get 6 hrs sleep after a night shift and I’d be fine. get up just after lunch and have the rest of the day to do things. Going to bed at normal time (say 2200) and I couldn’t survive on 6hrs! Also getting into bed after a night shift in the winter when everyone else is going out into the cold for work had a funny sort of pleasure about it.

LOM

Also getting into bed after a night shift in the winter when everyone else is going out into the cold for work had a funny sort of pleasure about it.
Yes definitely! I do not miss nightshifts now I get every night in my bed but when I was doing them I much preferred them to the long drag of a 12hr dayshift.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Is there any reason you like them?

Quieter people wise buzzing about on the ops floor, I hate the alarm clock laughing at me at stupid o’clock in the morning to wake up, you tend to more juicy stuff on nights like T3, rail grinding, line blocks etc.

Termy

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Completely forgot to say how it all went after Friday! It seemed to go really well, I got on well with the LOM, and I felt like I had good answers the competency questions. Looking forward to hearing back in the next few days. I will be super-proud if I get the job on my first actual interview for Signaller! ^_^

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

I think there wouls be sufficient interest at our place for a permeant night link, there’s about 6 of us who are night owls.

Definitely think the day and night links would work well. I'll sign up for permanent 12 hour day shift, cant stand nights.

LOM

I suppose the problem is you would end up with half your staff never doing T3s or isolations and the other half doing virtually nothing else. Would be a nightmare for competence.

Last edited:

Established Member
Edited to ask, out of curiosity, how do most men feel about girl signallers?
question for the woman I guess?
How did you find training? Were there other woman on the course with you?
I’m pretty used to working in a male dominated environment and have always enjoyed it and to be honest, being outnumbered has never been an issue at all.
However since being offered my job, I’ve had a few people say I may not be welcomed by many. This hadn’t even crossed my mind before!

In fact someone on here even commented about my being a possible token female.
Looking for reassurance this won’t be the case?
Thanks
I don't think you'll have any issues at all. I started in the 1980s and have had very few problems, railway people are among the most accepting people in the world. In fact I'm willing to bet the people expressing their doubts know nothing about the industry.

SignallerJohn

I don't think you'll have any issues at all. I started in the 1980s and have had very few problems, railway people are among the most accepting people in the world. In fact I'm willing to bet the people expressing their doubts know nothing about the industry.
While not wanting to deter anyone I’m going to strongly disagree with this one. It’s on the right path, but it’s a long path.

Billyc87

Hi all, would it be advisable to apply for other jobs within network rail before becoming a signaller? Surely as an internal employee I would have more chance?

Macca89

Hi all, would it be advisable to apply for other jobs within network rail before becoming a signaller? Surely as an internal employee I would have more chance?

I think most would advise to just apply for the position you want

If signalling is what you want, then keep an eye out for external positions near you or atleast within a distance your happy to travel and go directly for a signalling position

by the time you’ve Managed to secure another job in network rail and spent a certain amount of time doing that role whatever it may be, you could have become a signaller within that time (who knows)

You’ve just got to have patience, I’ve applied for 8 Signalling jobs in the last 8 months in Lincolnshire, haven’t been invited for an interview yet and although it can be frustrating at times I’ve just go to persevere

Saracen_83

Also getting into bed after a night shift in the winter when everyone else is going out into the cold for work had a funny sort of pleasure about it.

I prefer nights but it is a slog in the summer when it 25-30 degrees outside, your family are all off to the beach, one if you’re neighbours decides to cut his grass and construct a decking whilst the other has kids that’s are going mad in the garden having water fights!!!
Add that to a boiling hot room and you find sleeping difficult!!!!

High Dyke

Established Member
Thank you.
I’m feeling reassured with everyone’s comments.
Absolutely can’t wait to get started now! Six weeks today and I’ll be en route to York
I can echo the comments that have been made here. There aren't so many 'dinosaurs' left in the grades that look down on signal(wo)men. We still have a few men that resent any trainee, regardless of gender. I'm certainly not one of them. I've worked alongside signal(wo)men for most of my 20 years service. This area has a number of signal(wo)men already qualified, and we've just had another start their training.

Regarding trade union membership. As LOM points out it is a good insurance policy. A couple of years ago two trainees, in my area, got embroiled in a harassment case during their time at signalling school involving four individuals. One person joined the union from their first day, but the second person didn't. The upshot was that the person in the union got full representation at the disciplinary hearing, whilst the non-union person merely had a friend to accompany them. In the end three of the individuals kept their jobs, with the fourth person leaving Network Rail of their own choice. So, whilst there are those that complain "it's a very expensive diary" it's about the protection of jobs, terms and conditions, and protecting your health and safety. I've known many that have joined the trade union and then left, for whatever reason. There are those that choose not to join a trade union - that is the choice of the particular individual.

Last edited:

LOM

The application process for an internal non-signaller candidate applying to be a signaller is exactly the same as the external process. You still do the same questions and the same tests. So depending on where you are starting from it may be worth it in terms of getting a bit more relevant experience for your CV and the interview but it would not be a short cut into the job.

High Dyke

Established Member
Does anyone know how long the hope valley has before it gets swallowed up by Manchester and York ROCs? I’ve been offered (and accepted) the job at Edale and can’t wait to start - just wondering how much risk there is of the box getting closed any time soon?
The last internal advice on the subject, issued January 2020, showed no plans for the Hope Valley route during the next four years.

Matty42

Would anyone know if previous interview results are factored into the sift when shortlisting candidates. I ask this as a couple of years ago I made it through to the interview stage at my first attempt and due to a few factors I made a complete hash of it and probably came across as a bit of a tool.
Is this poor interview likely to limit my chances of being shortlisted as I have applied for a few roles since and have not made it to interview again. I appreciate that there is a huge demand for signaller roles but it is a career path that I really want to take and just hope I haven't ruined my chances with my previous bad performance.
TIA

LOM

Would anyone know if previous interview results are factored into the sift when shortlisting candidates. I ask this as a couple of years ago I made it through to the interview stage at my first attempt and due to a few factors I made a complete hash of it and probably came across as a bit of a tool.
Is this poor interview likely to limit my chances of being shortlisted as I have applied for a few roles since and have not made it to interview again. I appreciate that there is a huge demand for signaller roles but it is a career path that I really want to take and just hope I haven't ruined my chances with my previous bad performance.
TIA
It is not taken into account. Are you applying for roles in the same LOM area that you had your interview?

Matty42

It is not taken into account. Are you applying for roles in the same LOM area that you had your interview?
Thanks for the quick reply LOM!
Yes it is in the same area, so I guess even if officially previous interviews are not taken into account, if it is the same LOM doing the sifting he my remember my poor performance and discount future applications on this basis☹️

BrummiePete

Thanks for the quick reply LOM!
Yes it is in the same area, so I guess even if officially previous interviews are not taken into account, if it is the same LOM doing the sifting he my remember my poor performance and discount future applications on this basis☹
I would not think that way, i had an interview and was unsuccessful but applied again for the same job a few months later and was interviewed by the same hiring manager. I had requested some feedback on where i needed to improve after the first interview and was offered the job after my second interview.

In my opinion, and obviously also that of the hiring manager, it demonstrated the ability to identify where improvements were needed and the determination to make those improvements by increasing my knowledge.

Moral of the story i suppose is never give up, deal with any set back in a positive way and do not be afraid to try again.

Mi&Li

That gives me some hope then
As the post above, I’ve had 2 interviews by the same manager. I never asked for feedback from the first (reserve candidate) but did on the second. Strangely he said my first interview was better but I would disagree. Nonetheless he put me as reserve again and was looking to employ me as a contingency signaller before this virus hit.

So you certainly can get interviewed twice by the same manager.

Gallius

Does anyone know if pre-employment medicals have an expiry date? It looks like my training will be starting around 7 months after my pre-employment checks were completed and I'm wondering whether I'm going to be asked to attend another medical before starting.