• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

MEG

At the moment it's 8hrs but I believe that may change. I'd probably prefer 12 hrs as I've always worked long days in previous roles but anything would be fine. Just can't wait to get a start date and on that ladder now! Good luck with your applications too :D
Thankyou, good luck, be good to hear how you are getting on once you start training. Exciting!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Allaboard78

If I apply for a job, say Westbury, is there anything official stopping me from getting in and then applying for another job once in signaller school? And I mean official, not you should stay, or they like you to stay. Trying to think what to do with applications and relocating

SignallerJohn

If I apply for a job, say Westbury, is there anything official stopping me from getting in and then applying for another job once in signaller school? And I mean official, not you should stay, or they like you to stay. Trying to think what to do with applications and relocating
There’s a few variables for this, is it a FTC? Is the apprenticeship scheme still happening at signalling school? How is your LOM etc

Before any official answers, do you think it’s right morally to get a job somewhere and then try and leave before you’ve finished signalling school?

Dave 5-5-5

There’s a few variables for this, is it a FTC? Is the apprenticeship scheme still happening at signalling school? How is your LOM etc

Before any official answers, do you think it’s right morally to get a job somewhere and then try and leave before you’ve finished signalling school?
Nothing at all, lad I was with was heading for a Grade 2, got a Grade 6 at York ROC before he finished IST.

Sunset route

Established Member
What I’m saving is, it’s rough and tumble in a large box 16 blokes on shift together for 12hrs. You need to give as good as you take, if what I put causes offence then you’ll struggle.

Best of luck to you however.

Just like our signalling centre, we work hard and therefore we play hard. Everyone gets paid the same and is expected to pull there own weight. That doesn’t mean to say that we don’t help the new intake, in fact most of us will bend over backwards to help them learn and fill their knowledge gaps, but those stabilisers will get taken off and the new recruits will be in the end expected to work the job like anyone else on shift.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

If you got a job at westbury, went to school then applied for another job Before you landed back at Westbury I think you’d rub your LOM up the wrong way to be honest.

The Western is a small place, the chances of getting another job before you even got out of school are low to be fair, as you’ll up against qualified signallers.

Personally I would go hammer and tong to pass out in school, sign off your panel then give it 12-18 months before applying for another job.

They can’t stop you, but why rub people up the wrong way so soon....

LOM

Officially no there is nothing.

The bit you do not want to hear is that it is very very bad form and a slap in the face for your LOM who now has to start the long recruitment process all over again. I have been in that position (new signaller used access to internal vacancy list to apply for and get a job in another area while at school) and I am still very annoyed about it. If you plan to do that at least be open and honest at your interview.

ILoveLamp

Bootle, Millom and Grange Over Sands to be more precise.
I think someone a few pages back was asking a similar question related to either Workington or Whitehaven. And, if I recall correctly, I think the shifts didn’t include a night shift which I was surprised with. Id presume, but have no idea for sure, that Bootle and Millom May be the same with being on the West Cumbria coast route down to Barrow, and whether the same applies all the way back across from Barrow to Carnforth? But have a search for the other query and see if that helps.. I would have thought they were 24 hr due to Sellafield freight?

Hello, I'm new to the world of signalling. Had medical yesterday having completed everything else. Now just waiting for a start date up in the North East. All very exciting. I'm guessing I shouldn't be too worried leaving a full time permanent job for a 12 month FTC, as I cant imagine they would want to loose people after the expense of training them! Just a little nervous stepping out of the comfort zone!

headshot119

Established Member
Bootle, Millom and Grange Over Sands to be more precise.

Millom

Shifts are 05:20 - 14:20 and 14:20 - 23:20 Monday to Saturday. 08:45 - 14:45 and 14:45 - 20:45 Sunday.

Bootle

Shifts are 05:30 - 14:00 and 14:00 - 23:00 Monday to Saturday. Just a single Sunday shift 09:30 - 19:45

For both a Long weekend Friday - Tuesday in weeks 1 / 2 and a Wednesday and Thursday off in week 3 then repeat. With some random extra days throughout the year. Obviously Bootle gets a Sunday off on it's own as well.

Grange

Monday - Friday around roughly 06:00 - 13:15 and 13:15 - 20:30

I think someone a few pages back was asking a similar question related to either Workington or Whitehaven. And, if I recall correctly, I think the shifts didn’t include a night shift which I was surprised with. Id presume, but have no idea for sure, that Bootle and Millom May be the same with being on the West Cumbria coast route down to Barrow, and whether the same applies all the way back across from Barrow to Carnforth? But have a search for the other query and see if that helps.. I would have thought they were 24 hr due to Sellafield freight?

Rest assured that the information I posted was accurate, the only part of the coast open 24/7 is Carnforth - Barrow.

ILoveLamp

Millom

Shifts are 05:20 - 14:20 and 14:20 - 23:20 Monday to Saturday. 08:45 - 14:45 and 14:45 - 20:45 Sunday.

Bootle

Shifts are 05:30 - 14:00 and 14:00 - 23:00 Monday to Saturday. Just a single Sunday shift 09:30 - 19:45

For both a Long weekend Friday - Tuesday in weeks 1 / 2 and a Wednesday and Thursday off in week 3 then repeat. With some random extra days throughout the year. Obviously Bootle gets a Sunday off on it's own as well.

Grange

Rest assured that the information I posted was accurate, the only part of the coast open 24/7 is Carnforth - Barrow.
I wasn’t questioning you’re knowledge of the shifts by saying that, I was merely surprised that it wasn’t open at night due to freight. Like I said in the post, it was for the OP to look back at the post you had written.

I do have one query though.. You said Grange is Mon to Fri 6:00 - 13:15 and 13:15 - 20:30 but then go on to say Barrow to Carnforth is 24/7. The OP was asking about Grange Over Sands which, I’m sure you know, is part of the Barrow to Carnforth route, is the Grange you mentioned a different ‘Grange’??

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hello, I'm new to the world of signalling. Had medical yesterday having completed everything else. Now just waiting for a start date up in the North East. All very exciting. I'm guessing I shouldn't be too worried leaving a full time permanent job for a 12 month FTC, as I cant imagine they would want to loose people after the expense of training them! Just a little nervous stepping out of the comfort zone!

The chances of you being binned off after your FTC are low - unless your a serial cock up or have a very poor sickness record.

Youll probably find once your passed out at your assigned SB, your LOM will “encourage” you to apply for jobs they’re seen......;)

The chances of you being binned off after your FTC are low - unless your a serial cock up or have a very poor sickness record.

Youll probably find once your passed out at your assigned SB, your LOM will “encourage” you to apply for jobs they’re seen......;)

Thanks Tom, I don't think I don't think I will fall into either of those categories or at least I hope not! :) I have been assigned Crag Hall SB and cant wait to start!

Thebullet

Millom

Bootle

Grange

Thanks for the detailed information

Prerail

Wow that’s a very quick turnaround! Does that mean that even before the application had closed you’d had your interview etc?
No, once the application date had passed, i had an email saying I was being considered, Then an email saying I was being considered at the second stage, then the next email invited me to do an SHL test, a scenario based interview, and a video interview.

headshot119

Established Member
I wasn’t questioning you’re knowledge of the shifts by saying that, I was merely surprised that it wasn’t open at night due to freight. Like I said in the post, it was for the OP to look back at the post you had written.

I do have one query though.. You said Grange is Mon to Fri 6:00 - 13:15 and 13:15 - 20:30 but then go on to say Barrow to Carnforth is 24/7. The OP was asking about Grange Over Sands which, I’m sure you know, is part of the Barrow to Carnforth route, is the Grange you mentioned a different ‘Grange’??

Nope, the details I put up where for Grange. Not all the boxes are 24/7, just some on the line.

HamSandwich

Congratulations! I have my medical in Gateshead tomorrow, if I pass that then I'll be joining you in the North East too :)

Congratulations! I have my medical in Gateshead tomorrow, if I pass that then I'll be joining you in the North East too :)

Excellent -Not sure if you know the area but I struggled to get let in to the correct place and the details weren't great on my letter. You are looking for Raven House, which is off Askew Road, and down a minor road. Do you know which box you will be in?

Does anyone know the shifts at Crag Hall?

HamSandwich

Excellent -Not sure if you know the area but I struggled to get let in to the correct place and the details weren't great on my letter. You are looking for Raven House, which is off Askew Road, and down a minor road. Do you know which box you will be in?

I had a look on Google Maps and it looks rather confusing, planning on leaving the house with lots of time spare to make sure I find the right bit. Thank you, didn't know it was called Raven House, that's really helpful.

All being well I'll be somewhere on the Blyth & Tyne line :)

ChrisRS

I had a look on Google Maps and it looks rather confusing, planning on leaving the house with lots of time spare to make sure I find the right bit. Thank you, didn't know it was called Raven House, that's really helpful.

All being well I'll be somewhere on the Blyth & Tyne line :)

Foot access:

Vehicle access:

7Paul7

Does anyone know the shifts at Crag Hall?

Hi Northeasrnewbi,

Are you on the future opportunities north east? If it's the same as the York future opportunities all 4 trainees from the Teesside area were put with Crag as their base location however the contract says that Crag will not be our box and we have to apply for positions whilst going through block school if you have had your joining pack have a check what it says

Hi Northeasrnewbi,

Are you on the future opportunities north east? If it's the same as the York future opportunities all 4 trainees from the Teesside area were put with Crag as their base location however the contract says that Crag will not be our box and we have to apply for positions whilst going through block school if you have had your joining pack have a check what it says

Thanks for your reply. I'm now a little more confused :)

The contract that I have got through says base location for your fixed term contact is Crag hall SB so that would indicate 12 months , then next paragraph says that we will be expected to apply for a permanent vacancy upon successful completion of signalling school within 75 mins of home address. So I suppose my question is signalling school the end of the 12 months or the 12 weeks?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
You need a base location, for convenience they’ve chosen this SB for admin purposes.

Once your in school, you’ll be expected to apply for vacant position.

You’ll likely be advised suitable vacancy during school that you “might like to apply for”.