• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rover77

2nd time lucky. I used the 6 months after I didnt reach the bench mark last time to practice practice practice. Got the email today saying I had met the benchmark. Over the moon. I realise that is no guarantee at all of an interview but it's one hurdle finally conquered. Fingers crossed now.

Gallius

Hey everyone! Just had an email confirming all pre employment checks completed and starting 5th October!! Can’t wait :D could anyone give me an idea of when the first payday would be for me? Thank you in advance!
I'm starting on the 5th October too, do you know where your training will be?

Gallius

Oh great!! I will be going to York Signalling School and based at Knottingley SB but will be applying for a permanent position. What about you?
I'm going to the HQ in Milton Keynes for my training and my position is in Rugby. Good luck with your training!

Ajmurphy1986

Anyone having problems logging in to the network rail career site?

It wouldn't let me in with my previous password, so I updated it with the forgot password button. Still won't let me in with the new password they sent me......

LOM

I have a fancy zip up folder with ID documents, pen, paper etc that I took in with me.
During my first 3 or 4 interviews I opened it up and made notes on the questions that were asked (they can be a little wordy) but it may have been off putting to those conducting the interview as well as myself, looking back. Didn't get any offers.
Next interview, I thought it best to sack off the note writing, and fully focus on just answering the questions. It meant I practised and prepared more beforehand, was ready to adapt my examples to what was asked, and generally the interview felt like it "flowed" better, or was just generally better focused. Got the job.

Very sound advice. It is a new one on me but I really would not recommend writing down the questions during the interview!

Defenestrate

Very sound advice. It is a new one on me but I really would not recommend writing down the questions during the interview!

Writing the questions down - whilst it was done to remind me of the question itself, upon reflection it perhaps looked like i was "harvesting" questions for future interviews, which would not look good! Best results came from a simpler approach.

Kraken

Anyone having problems logging in to the network rail career site?

It wouldn't let me in with my previous password, so I updated it with the forgot password button. Still won't let me in with the new password they sent me......

This happened to me. I assume you’ve tried using a different browser, deleting cookies and trying ‘incognito’ mode?

I ended up emailing HR and they reset my account within 24 hours of me sending my email, they were very helpful. Worth a try if none of the other fixes work. I didn’t lose any progress or applications.

GMac1502

I have a fancy zip up folder with ID documents, pen, paper etc that I took in with me.
During my first 3 or 4 interviews I opened it up and made notes on the questions that were asked (they can be a little wordy) but it may have been off putting to those conducting the interview as well as myself, looking back. Didn't get any offers.
Next interview, I thought it best to sack off the note writing, and fully focus on just answering the questions. It meant I practised and prepared more beforehand, was ready to adapt my examples to what was asked, and generally the interview felt like it "flowed" better, or was just generally better focused. Got the job.
Nice one thanks, i have been studying and everything, was just wondering as some places dont mind as they realise people get nervous etc

GMac1502

There is nothing to stop you doing this and I have seen it a few times but in my experience it does not come across well and gets in the way of building a good interaction/rapport with your interviewers.

As an interviewer there is nothing worse than a candidate reciting a story they have learned parrot fashion in the manner of a hostage with a gun held to their head, and often which does not actually answer the question they have been asked.
Thanks for the response, i dont think i would take notes in as i like to speak to people normally but was just curious as some places dont mind as they realise you get nervous, really want the job.

Mi&Li

To me...and I’m not a signaller. The ability to clearly listen without distraction to instructions and retain information is detrimental to the job. While I have taken my notes with me and read them before the interview I wouldn’t dream of looking at them mid interview.

Chumba

I have taken my examples with me to refresh myself whilst waiting to go in, but straight in the pocket when I’m called in to interview. As someone who does a lot of interviewing I find it distracting for me and the person interviewing if they have to read their notes in answering my questions. it also shows they haven‘t in my view prepared correctly. That gets them low marks.

Depending what role I’m interviewing for there is sometimes a presentation to be given on a subject we supply. The aim of this is to see who can research the subject and present it in 5 minutes accurately and get the relevant information across. Some stand there and read the PowerPoint word for word or read notes word for word without avtuallyexplaining the subject. I hate that, so again low marks, anyone can do that.

The ones that score highly present the subject with no notes, speak like they know the subject and that creates a good impression with me, and as the decision maker that’s exactly what you need to do.

Last edited:

LOM

Thanks for the response, i dont think i would take notes in as i like to speak to people normally but was just curious as some places dont mind as they realise you get nervous, really want the job.

We definitely do realise people get nervous!

I have taken my examples with me to refresh myself whilst waiting to go in, but straight in the pocket when I’m called in to interview. As someone who does a lot of interviewing I find it distracting for me and the person interviewing if they have to read their notes in answering my questions. it also shows they haven‘t in my view prepared correctly. That gets them low marks.

Depending what role I’m interviewing for there is sometimes a presentation to be given on a subject we supply. The aim of this is to see who can research the subject and present it in 5 minutes accurately and get the relevant information across. Some stand there and read the PowerPoint word for word or read notes word for word without avtuallyexplaining the subject. I hate that, so again low marks, anyone can do that.

The ones that score highly present the subject with no notes, speak like they know the subject and that creates a good impression with me, and as the decision maker that’s exactly what you need to do.
I was part of a panel for signaller interviews a few years ago where the candidates (all external) were all asked to do a 5 minute presentation on “Safety Critical Communications” - it was left entirely open for them to interpret that how they liked. The results were somewhat eye-opening and I have never seen it tried again for signaller roles since. I have done presentations for interviews myself before and it can be a hard nut to crack.

Last edited:

Worldwide

Writing the questions down - whilst it was done to remind me of the question itself, upon reflection it perhaps looked like i was "harvesting" questions for future interviews, which would not look good! Best results came from a simpler approach.

you can take notes to an interview but ask first and always take advantage of the water when they ask a question take a sip it gives you little thinking time.

ArchangelA

2nd time lucky. I used the 6 months after I didnt reach the bench mark last time to practice practice practice. Got the email today saying I had met the benchmark. Over the moon. I realise that is no guarantee at all of an interview but it's one hurdle finally conquered. Fingers crossed now.
Can I ask what practice material you used please as Im struggling? cheers

Rover77

I used the free practice tests on shl. They are much much harder than the real thing. So dont let it knock your confidence. I took the approach that if I could do score well on those then I would be fine with the actual test. The websites that have free practice tests in my opinion make them hard so you panic and pay for more practice material.
I used tutorials on YouTube to find quick ways of working out percentage increase and decrease. Did practice on ratios and data handling in general.
Good luck

Charliew24

For my applications to Liv St and Feltham I’ve just been told that I’ve reached the benchmark on the SHL tests. Can anyone suggest a ballpark timescale for when I’ll find out if I’ve got interviews or not (bearing in mind the application closes on the 7th July)?
Also, in the description for Feltham it says that the position will be migrating to Basingstoke ROC around May next year. It surprises me that they would therefore recruit and train someone at feltham when they’d only be there for such a short time. For a G7 position such as Feltham how long would the on the job training be (after signalling school)? Because the timing of the job advert suggests that NWR think it’s worth hiring and training someone for only a short time working at Feltham before moving and re-training them at Basingstoke. Then at Basingstoke, is it likely that feltham signallers would just be doing the same area as before but from a different place or learning other panels too?

Hi Mate,

I applied for liv street job a day ago and received a email after completing the long questionnaire. When I log back onto the website it says i haven't submitted any applications.

I am a little concerned as i spent a good few hours going through all the questions and uploading my CV etc.

Where it says on the email 'please ensure you have submitted you application using the instructions provided' I don't quite understand as once i submitted the 70 questions and uploaded CV and entered personal details that was the end of the application.

Ill attached the email i received below. Could you let me know if you received the same email once you submitted the application please. ( I know sometimes in the railway industry the questionnaires/tests are sent to a 3rd party company to review first.

Also how long did it take for somebody to get in contact?

Thanks

Charlie

Network rail .png

olilee2

Hi Mate,

I applied for liv street job a day ago and received a email after completing the long questionnaire. When I log back onto the website it says i haven't submitted any applications.

I am a little concerned as i spent a good few hours going through all the questions and uploading my CV etc.

Where it says on the email 'please ensure you have submitted you application using the instructions provided' I don't quite understand as once i submitted the 70 questions and uploaded CV and entered personal details that was the end of the application.

Ill attached the email i received below. Could you let me know if you received the same email once you submitted the application please. ( I know sometimes in the railway industry the questionnaires/tests are sent to a 3rd party company to review first.

Thanks

Charlie View attachment 80174
Yeah I got that initially then a couple of days later one saying that my application “has been received and is under consideration” and then a link to the tests a couple of days after that so hold tight. Now then I guess we’ll both be counting down the days until the application closes so we find out if we’re through to interviews. Of course we’re applying for the same position so forgive me if I don’t wish you too much luck ahaha but post if u hear anything after the tests ;)

Roadster 7

Can I ask what practice material you used please as Im struggling? cheers

My weakest test was the verbal reasoning one I bought a book on verbal reasoning tests by the "How 2 become" company.
I found it so useful, it has a passage you read then answer questions on that passage with true, false or cannot say. It has the answers and importantly for me explains why.
Keep practicing the free SHL ones too.
Good luck!

ArchangelA

My weakest test was the verbal reasoning one I bought a book on verbal reasoning tests by the "How 2 become" company.
I found it so useful, it has a passage you read then answer questions on that passage with true, false or cannot say. It has the answers and importantly for me explains why.
Keep practicing the free SHL ones too.
Good luck!
Thanks mate

Mi&Li

Hi Mate,

Thanks

Charlie View attachment 80174
I’ve had this before and I would definitely check you’ve applied by trying to apply again and see if you can. Even after you submit your questionnaire there is a finish button as well which could easily be missed.

qwertyberty

Great to hear! Not really sure how we actually go about adding stickies, but I’m sure we can find out.

A primer covering the recruitment process and related FAQs would be really useful to all the aspiring signallers visiting this thread (and some of the existing ones too!).

Might be useful to maintain a list of signal boxes too, showing their current life expectancy (if known) and roster.

Chuck in a pay matrix (with a brief primer explaining Sundays, RDW etc) and a guide to thread etiquette and that would hopefully deal with 80% of the most regularly-asked questions.
A useful link for a pin/sticky list: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/campaigns/signalling-opportunities

Covers many of the questions asked on here about the job/application process etc. and includes the 8 NTS

MidlandsChap

Good evening all
Does anybody know roughly what the takehome of a grade 3 signaller might be? Looking to work out if it would be affordable for a move into the career
Thanks

Midlands_lad

Good evening all
Does anybody know roughly what the takehome of a grade 3 signaller might be? Looking to work out if it would be affordable for a move into the career
Thanks
There are a few pay scales already listed on this forum, you can use the search function or scroll back through a few pages?

MidlandsChap

Yes I have had a look over the scale charts. But im struggling to work out what an average total would be because I dont know how many nights or sundays are on the average rota. Even if a grade 2 or 4 can give me an idea of their usual take home it would give me something to work with.
Thanks

headshot119

Established Member
Unfortunately there's no such thing as an average roster, a box might work night shifts, it might not, it might work 24/7 on a Sunday, or it might not be open at all. I only provided an estimate of a take home for someone a page or so ago as they could tell me what roster the box worked to.

Very roughly you could take the headline salary + £5k for a very conservative estimate, but it could massively vary.

But really you should budget to the headline salary, as at the end of the day if you're off work for six months that's all you'll be being paid.

Charliew24

Yeah I got that initially then a couple of days later one saying that my application “has been received and is under consideration” and then a link to the tests a couple of days after that so hold tight. Now then I guess we’ll both be counting down the days until the application closes so we find out if we’re through to interviews. Of course we’re applying for the same position so forgive me if I don’t wish you too much luck ahaha but post if u hear anything after the tests ;)

Spoke to recruitment today. My application didn't go through. Re doing it tonight.

Fuming