• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

A quick question... how do signallers on here keep track of their shifts? Piece of paper/commit to memory/an app on your phone?

Also after a discussion about collective nouns for various jobs at work today I wondered what the one for signallers signallers would be? Best I could do was 'a delay'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Saracen_83

A quick question... how do signallers on here keep track of their shifts? Piece of paper/commit to memory/an app on your phone?

Also after a discussion about collective nouns for various jobs at work today I wondered what the one for signallers signallers would be? Best I could do was 'a delay'

I have an app called shift life that I use that connects to my calendar. I’ve put in my shift pattern and then it puts this into my calendar on a rolling basis so I know my shifts a year or two ahead... I then add and rdw so I keep track of it.

I then keep the email from my roster clerk in case of any changes for the week I’m on and the following week once it’s binding.

Kraken

Well, had my first signaller interview today and it went .... reasonably well I think. I certainly think I gave the best account of myself I could and if I don’t get the job I’ll be cool with that as it means the other applicants were better.

Perhaps one for @RailNoob , the only question I got which I had not prepared for asked me for a time I made a mistake at work. I’d pretty much just worked up examples that make me look good (obviously) so I had to think on my feet a bit there. Maybe worth thinking about a time where you messed up and what you did to rectify it.

Overall the LOMs were super welcoming and immediately put me at ease, the Microsoft Teams app worked very well and I was given decent instructions on how to join and use it.

I have an app called shift life that I use that connects to my calendar. I’ve put in my shift pattern and then it puts this into my calendar on a rolling basis so I know my shifts a year or two ahead... I then add and rdw so I keep track of it.

I then keep the email from my roster clerk in case of any changes for the week I’m on and the following week once it’s binding.

That's really helpful and my kind of solution. Thanks

LOM

Hi,

To hear that from a LOM puts me at ease a little more so thanks hopefully its enough on the day!
What I would say - and it ties in with what Kraken has said above - is that you will not just be asked "Tell us about a time you have shown willingness & ability to learn" or whatever, but you will be given a specific question for each non technical skill. There are several different set questions for each non technical skill for the interviewers to choose from and each of them focuses on a different area, so you need to listen carefully to each question and make sure your answer actually relates to what you have been asked. Giving a general preprepared answer which does not specifically cover what has been asked does not score highly.

For example if I asked you to tell me about a time you went shopping in Sainsburys and explain to me how you decided which tin of beans to buy, but you actually launched into a story about a time you went to Primark to buy a cheap pair of jeans then you would get a low score for that question, even though it all comes under the heading of "shopping". Many candidates do this and it is very frustrating!

Last edited:

Sunset route

Established Member

The old fashion method was to write it into your NUR/RMT diary but most of my colleagues myself included use one of the many apps out there. The one I use is basic but it writes to my calendar and you can tailor the shift type to how I work in a multi panel environment.

amanda08

Well, had my first signaller interview today and it went .... reasonably well I think. I certainly think I gave the best account of myself I could and if I don’t get the job I’ll be cool with that as it means the other applicants were better.

Perhaps one for @RailNoob , the only question I got which I had not prepared for asked me for a time I made a mistake at work. I’d pretty much just worked up examples that make me look good (obviously) so I had to think on my feet a bit there. Maybe worth thinking about a time where you messed up and what you did to rectify it.

Overall the LOMs were super welcoming and immediately put me at ease, the Microsoft Teams app worked very well and I was given decent instructions on how to join and use it.
Good luck!

RailNoob

What I would say - and it ties in with what Kraken has said above - is that you will not just be asked "Tell us about a time you have shown willingness & ability to learn" or whatever, but you will be given a specific question for each non technical skill. There are several different set questions for each non tachnical skill for the interviewers to chose from and each of them focuses on a different area, so you need to listen carefully to each question and make sure your answer actually relates to what you have been asked. Giving a general preprepared answer which does not specifically cover what has been asked does not score highly.

For example if I asked you to tell me about a time you went shopping in Sainsburys and explain to me how you decided which tin of beans to buy, but you actually launched into a story about a time you went to Primark to buy a cheap pair of jeans then you would get a low score for that question, even though it all comes under the heading of "shopping". Many candidates do this and it is very frustrating!

Hi,

Cheers @Kraken that is definitely a curve ball I wouldn't of prepared for so will work on that! @LOM in my preparation and in terms off answering I see what you mean I have just been trying to work on a topic for each I can call upon and answer in the correct format that is portrayed to me at the time but obviously ensuring it is relevant to what is being asked.

Kraken

What I would say - and it ties in with what Kraken has said above - is that you will not just be asked "Tell us about a time you have shown willingness & ability to learn" or whatever, but you will be given a specific question for each non technical skill. There are several different set questions for each non tachnical skill for the interviewers to chose from and each of them focuses on a different area, so you need to listen carefully to each question and make sure your answer actually relates to what you have been asked. Giving a general preprepared answer which does not specifically cover what has been asked does not score highly.

This is really good advice, some of my pre-prepared examples had to go totally out of the window because the question for that NTS did not relate to the main example I had allocated to it. I was definitely relieved I had two examples in my head for each NTS, and even then I had to go totally off piste with one of them as neither of my examples would have answered the question I was asked.

Kraken

I have just been trying to work on a topic for each I can call upon and answer in the correct format that is portrayed to me at the time but obviously ensuring it is relevant to what is being asked.

I would definitely have more than one example for each NTS, it gives you that bit more flexibility and confidence that will hopefully mean you don’t go blank if you can’t make your example fit the question.

RailNoob

I would definitely have more than one example for each NTS, it gives you that bit more flexibility and confidence that will hopefully mean you don’t go blank if you can’t make your example fit the question.
Yeah I will go back to the drawing board definitely and get some more examples in my head im honestly cacking it but it will be what it'll be! Let me know how you get on sounds like you did really well!

Kraken

Yeah I will go back to the drawing board definitely and get some more examples in my head im honestly cacking it but it will be what it'll be! Let me know how you get on sounds like you did really well!

Hmm, I don’t want to go overboard but I didn’t disgrace myself at least so that’s all you can ask for I guess! Really hope yours goes well too - nerves are definitely good in my opinion as they make you work harder to avoid all the bad scenarios in your head coming to pass . I tried to remember that the worst thing that can realistically happen is I don’t get offered the job - and then I can always keep applying for signaller roles knowing that at least one LOM thought I was worth interviewing so it can happen again.

SignalNewbie

Good evening all. Possibly a very dumb question but.... I recently applied for a signaller position and have just noticed on the Network Rail site that 'If you are successful at application you will receive an invitation within 72hrs via email to complete an online tests'. I was just wondering if this means within 72 hours of the application being accepted or within 72 hours of the job closing date?

GMac1502

Good evening all. Possibly a very dumb question but.... I recently applied for a signaller position and have just noticed on the Network Rail site that 'If you are successful at application you will receive an invitation within 72hrs via email to complete an online tests'. I was just wondering if this means within 72 hours of the application being accepted or within 72 hours of the job closing date?
I got mine the day after i got the application accepted email which was about 2 weeks before the closing date, some jobs dont get to closing date as they have enough applicants.

LOM

It is within 72 hour of the application being accepted.

_Odo_

That makes three of us for that area that have had the same experience. Does your application status still say assessment 2 complete? Will let you know if I hear anything.

Yes, the application still says 'assessment 2 completed'. I feel a little bit better knowing there are (at least) three of us in the same situation - best of luck to you both, I hope we all get some positive news soon.

High Dyke

Established Member

That's where the 'expensive diary' from the RMT comes in handy. ;)

Rick1875

Good luck . What area are you applying for.

Last edited:

SignallerJohn

We get emailed our roster once a week on Thursday, it can sometimes be 2 weeks worth if it’s a bank holiday. We have some spreadsheets on the computers that can show you your infinite shifts with the exception of spare. Usually you can catch the jump on rosters and ask what you’re doing or let it be a surprise. Usually nights all week.

danners430

Just received an email that my application for Craigo SB is with the hiring manager for consideration... Now I am unashamedly starting to get slightly excited - time to dig out the NTS again just in case!

GMac1502

Had my interview earlier, seemed to go well, answered all the questions, LOM seemed a decent guy, fingers crossed now.

Cerebral

Hey.

Anyone have an idea as to how many Sundays they work in the rota at WMSC? Is it a 5 week or more rota? Does it average out 1 or 2 Sundays per pay day for e.g?