• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’m back, after a week ban from the forum.......

I would strongly recommend all potential signallers to pop over to the YouTube’s, and search Network Rail RED videos.
Although some of the actors should really be in hollyoaks, not hollywood the gist of the videos should open your eyes to the potential opportunities YOU as a signaller can have to end or seriously end someones day minus a arm, leg or mental ability for the rest of their life.

You’ll also realise that you’ll have to unfortunately work with, and try your best to ensure some rather silly people out their working stay safe and go home. How important communications are, and how you really need to stand firm and not bend when it comes to safety.

Id also suggest reading the signaller involved RAIB reports, hopefully this will also go to reinforce how the role changes from day turn signaller to night time site manger/signaller.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

amanda08

I would strongly recommend all potential signallers to pop over to the YouTube’s, and search Network Rail RED videos.
Although some of the actors should really be in hollyoaks, not hollywood the gist of the videos should open your eyes to the potential opportunities YOU as a signaller can have to end or seriously end someones day minus a arm, leg or mental ability for the rest of their life.

You’ll also realise that you’ll have to unfortunately work with, and try your best to ensure some rather silly people out their working stay safe and go home. How important communications are, and how you really need to stand firm and not bend when it comes to safety.

Id also suggest reading the signaller involved RAIB reports, hopefully this will also go to reinforce how the role changes from day turn signaller to night time site manger/signaller.
I've just read the RAIB reports - makes for extremely sobbering reading! This is definitely not a job to be taken lightly!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I've just read the RAIB reports - makes for extremely sobbering reading! This is definitely not a job to be taken lightly!

We all, make a mess up at some point make no mistake. But it’s whether you learn from it which is the key, and whether you ownup at the point of mess up.

Very few lose their jobs in this circumstance, it’s when you try and cover it up or deny then your in the brown stuff.

But....being a signaller is 98% of the time routine and boredom. It’s that 2% when we earn our money and show our true professional colours.

All I can say is, which I’m certain you will - is listen to your experiences colleagues and line management, show willing to learn, engage with the railway and when the world is collapsing around you...STOP, think, plan and then do.

Obviously in a critical incident throw the lot back and stop trains, emergency situation 101 stop the job.

amanda08

We all, make a mess up at some point make no mistake. But it’s whether you learn from it which is the key, and whether you ownup at the point of mess up.

Very few lose their jobs in this circumstance, it’s when you try and cover it up or deny then your in the brown stuff.

But....being a signaller is 98% of the time routine and boredom. It’s that 2% when we earn our money and show our true professional colours.

All I can say is, which I’m certain you will - is listen to your experiences colleagues and line management, show willing to learn, engage with the railway and when the world is collapsing around you...STOP, think, plan and then do.

Obviously in a critical incident throw the lot back and stop trains, emergency situation 101 stop the job.
Excellent advice, thanks.
And you also answered my question about stopping all trains in a critical emergency - I wondered if this was something you could do in extreme situations to have the time to take stock.

I think my main concern is that shortly after being let loose in a box by myself, some major incident occurs which i've yet to experience. I'll be reading my rules book morning, noon and night I think!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I think you’ll struggle to find any situation where you can apply a rule from the good book, as in every situation is different to how they lay it down in the good book.

Last week for example I was happily in my 11th hour of my 12hr turn, I’d allowed my mind to start to drift off to a better place, my mind had relaxed and happy thoughts had filled my head.

I was sat back in my NWR standard “comfortable” chair... (you’ll find out!) the birds where singing, and the sun shining..
okay I made the last bit up, the AC was humming and the shift knobhead was on his 127th moan of the afternoon.

Anyway... I was relaxed, a second later a REC GSMR call comes in. Funny how you snap out of the wonderful world back into reality at a sound of “that” noise!

A snap turn of my head towards the console showed me the red screen (your area) vice white screen / red border (neighbouring area).

Straight into emergency mode “signaller Newtown responding to emergency call from 9X99, driver pass your message”

Youll Learn the “correct” script for the various calls, but when you in the real world as long you establish your role, why your answering the call, and who your talking to you’ll be okay when the could’a would’a shoulders jump in later on after a mocha latte.

Anyway, driver reports a female is in the 4ft and to block all lines.

However, as soon as the REC came in as I’m answering the call im at the same time blocking both roads to protect the train.

At this point you have no idea why the driver has REC called you, it could be a derailment, fire, jumper, bomb has gone off you simply do not know.

Immediately I could assure the driver all lines where blocked and the incident site was safe.

Once you’ve secured the site your emergency situation is over as such, you then enter into a initial Coordination role establishing what the situation is, and what response it needs.

Drivers (mainly new ones, no negatives) have REC’ed for a person within the boundary fence before, then really a urgent call or even standard call would of done.

When the REC goes off every SB or Workstation neighbouring will hear you, likewise will control. They’ll generally arrange emergency response when required so you’ll be left to mange the train(s).

Always ask the driver if their okay, physically - obviously mentally they may be very Shaken. You can’t do anything about that, but if they’re sustained injury then you can offer reassurance help is on its way or encourage them to seek assistance from the it guard or self help etc.

The main thing is you need to remain calm, your the drivers rock at potentially the most shocking situation they’ve ever come across.

Your time to think, cry or calm will come later on. I’ve done all three !

nom de guerre

Do tell... :D

Although some of the actors should really be in hollyoaks, not hollywood

The presenter of the safety round-ups is a H*llyoaks refugee and I've seen a couple of his former colleagues in editions of Red too. Don't ask me how I knew!

olilee2

Hi there, I've just added to my long list of applications with Greenford SB and Guildford SB, just wondered if anyone had any idea of rosters for them and/or any other info?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Do tell... :D

The presenter of the safety round-ups is a H*llyoaks refugee and I've seen a couple of his former colleagues in editions of Red too. Don't ask me how I knew!

I was involved in the Welshpool UWC thread.....my input wasn’t welcome from a first hand point of view.

Ah yes, I know the chap your on about now - misspent youth watching Holyoaks!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi there, I've just added to my long list of applications with Greenford SB and Guildford SB, just wondered if anyone had any idea of rosters for them and/or any other info?

Greenford SB, you won’t see 99% of the trains you signal!

Fringe with TVSC Haye, and Maidenhead workstations I think?

@Nippy might be able to provide more info.

nom de guerre

I was involved in the Welshpool UWC thread.....my input wasn’t welcome from a first hand point of view.

Ah. I know myself how... frustrating it can be when your panel/workstation/box is involved in an incident and armchair pundits are getting it wrong.

Ah yes, I know the chap your on about now - misspent youth watching Holyoaks!

There's also an edition of Red with a guy from Hollyoaks, back in the day, playing a P-Way bloke driving tired. Guess what happens next, kids...

nom de guerre

Guildford is 8hrs on weekdays but can't recall the weekend arrangements. Think 8hr Saturdays and 12hr Sundays, but happy to be corrected.

Also worth noting it's double-manned on most/all shifts but normal practice is for one signaller to work the panel on a 2hrs on/2 hrs off basis. Pretty decent as far as 8hr rosters go...

TRain87

Prime MOM candidate, surely? :lol:

We never get tired mate - machines!

Guildford is 8hrs on weekdays but can't recall the weekend arrangements. Think 8hr Saturdays and 12hr Sundays, but happy to be corrected.

Also worth noting it's double-manned on most/all shifts but normal practice is for one signaller to work the panel on a 2hrs on/2 hrs off basis. Pretty decent as far as 8hr rosters go...

This is correct info - Guildford is like dead man's shoes though I'm afraid...a list as long as my arm for existing signallers to get in. I'd be extremely surprised if an external candidate got the role!

Kraken

I think you’ll struggle to find any situation where you can apply a rule from the good book, as in every situation is different to how they lay it down in the good book.

Last week for example I was happily in my 11th hour of my 12hr turn, I’d allowed my mind to start to drift off to a better place, my mind had relaxed and happy thoughts had filled my head.

I was sat back in my NWR standard “comfortable” chair... (you’ll find out!) the birds where singing, and the sun shining..
okay I made the last bit up, the AC was humming and the shift knobhead was on his 127th moan of the afternoon.

Anyway... I was relaxed, a second later a REC GSMR call comes in. Funny how you snap out of the wonderful world back into reality at a sound of “that” noise!

A snap turn of my head towards the console showed me the red screen (your area) vice white screen / red border (neighbouring area).

Straight into emergency mode “signaller Newtown responding to emergency call from 9X99, driver pass your message”

Youll Learn the “correct” script for the various calls, but when you in the real world as long you establish your role, why your answering the call, and who your talking to you’ll be okay when the could’a would’a shoulders jump in later on after a mocha latte.

Anyway, driver reports a female is in the 4ft and to block all lines.

However, as soon as the REC came in as I’m answering the call im at the same time blocking both roads to protect the train.

At this point you have no idea why the driver has REC called you, it could be a derailment, fire, jumper, bomb has gone off you simply do not know.

Immediately I could assure the driver all lines where blocked and the incident site was safe.

Once you’ve secured the site your emergency situation is over as such, you then enter into a initial Coordination role establishing what the situation is, and what response it needs.

Drivers (mainly new ones, no negatives) have REC’ed for a person within the boundary fence before, then really a urgent call or even standard call would of done.

When the REC goes off every SB or Workstation neighbouring will hear you, likewise will control. They’ll generally arrange emergency response when required so you’ll be left to mange the train(s).

Always ask the driver if their okay, physically - obviously mentally they may be very Shaken. You can’t do anything about that, but if they’re sustained injury then you can offer reassurance help is on its way or encourage them to seek assistance from the it guard or self help etc.

The main thing is you need to remain calm, your the drivers rock at potentially the most shocking situation they’ve ever come across.

Your time to think, cry or calm will come later on. I’ve done all three !

Stuff like this is so interesting - the day to day real life of the job, distinct from the useful but general information available from Network Rail. Thank you for sharing.

Kraken

Excellent advice, thanks.
And you also answered my question about stopping all trains in a critical emergency - I wondered if this was something you could do in extreme situations to have the time to take stock.

I think my main concern is that shortly after being let loose in a box by myself, some major incident occurs which i've yet to experience. I'll be reading my rules book morning, noon and night I think!

Yes that’s got to be the biggest concern I have with potentially taking this job - the possibility of killing people because of a potentially small error or lapse in concentration. I just read this bit in that Red for Danger book about the two signalmen who had just caused the Quintishill disaster, which killed over 200 people:

“Imagination can scarcely conceive what the feelings of those two unhappy men Meakin and Tinsley must have been when they watched, as from some grand stand, the frightful consequences of their carelessness taking place below. No punishment that any law could inflict could be more terrible, for the memory of the scene must have haunted them for the rest of their lives. Surely they are to be pitied rather than blamed, for have we not all been equally careless and forgetful on occasion, but with no such fearful result? Unfortunately however, the delicate mechanism of railway operation, though designed to eliminate human errors, does not lightly tolerate them when they occur.”

Sobering stuff.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Stuff like this is so interesting - the day to day real life of the job, distinct from the useful but general information available from Network Rail. Thank you for sharing.

The firms role profile will naturally give you the sugar coated version of the job, it’s really important you go into the job with your eyes wide open to the pros and cons of the job. The risks and potential for you to be in a seriously sticky situation.

I was lucky that my world is very grey anyway, combined with a number of years in my early 20s as a copper then the rest until I was committed here as a guard has served me well into not falling for the lovely lovely side the PR will give you.

But, you guys who are about to start or are in the process will never look back and think you’ve made a mistake. Being a Signalladyman is simply the best job on the railway.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Yes that’s got to be the biggest concern I have with potentially taking this job - the possibility of killing people because of a potentially small error or lapse in concentration. I just read this bit in that Red for Danger book about the two signalmen who had just caused the Quintishill disaster, which killed over 200 people:

“Imagination can scarcely conceive what the feelings of those two unhappy men Meakin and Tinsley must have been when they watched, as from some grand stand, the frightful consequences of their carelessness taking place below. No punishment that any law could inflict could be more terrible, for the memory of the scene must have haunted them for the rest of their lives. Surely they are to be pitied rather than blamed, for have we not all been equally careless and forgetful on occasion, but with no such fearful result? Unfortunately however, the delicate mechanism of railway operation, though designed to eliminate human errors, does not lightly tolerate them when they occur.”

Sobering stuff.

There was a potential issue with the duty signallers health which wasn’t acknowledged by the Caley.

Unfortunately the biggest threat to your job is something you have very little control over - the public !

User worked crossings are potentially a nightmare for us/you.

The MOP will phone you from the crossing to request permission to cross on foot.

You have trains in both directions approaching the UP train a mile away, and the DN train 3 miles away.

You ask (tell) the MOP to remain at the gate until the trains pass (make sure you say trainS) until YOU call them back.

UP train passes, a few minutes later the DN passes.

You replace and collar the protecting signals to protect the crossing and call the user back to give permission.

Can you guess what has happened???

Oh hello, I’ve already crossed...I could of crossed a dozen times in the time it took the second train to come.

WTF really !??!!??

Yes, the voicecoms would back you up that you told the user to wait, and they ignored you. But, you potentially have a driver who’s just bowled someone over, a damaged unit out of traffic for days, fitting staff who have to clean the mess up, operations staff who have to respond.

And unfortunately a family who have lost a loved one - all because they can’t listen to instructions.

LOM

I feel for balance I should point out that the majority of signallers will go through their career without being involved/implicated in an incident causing serious injury or death. Suicides, yes. The occasional hair-curling operating irregularity, yes. But incidents that actually damage people are relatively rare.

That said there is never any room for complacency on the operating floor.

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Sobering stuff.

Yes it is sobering, but remember that the railway (generally) learns from it's mistakes. Both Quintishill and Abermule, for example, resulted in Rule Changes on how single line working was undertaken, and even now after an incident you will often see minor Rule changes.

olilee2

We never get tired mate - machines!

This is correct info - Guildford is like dead man's shoes though I'm afraid...a list as long as my arm for existing signallers to get in. I'd be extremely surprised if an external candidate got the role!
Does that mean that when positions are advertised for externals that you’re still up against internal candidates, and if so, if I’ve got an operation railway and safety critical background, then what are my chances against an internal?

LOM

Does that mean that when positions are advertised for externals that you’re still up against internal candidates, and if so, if I’ve got an operation railway and safety critical background, then what are my chances against an internal?
Yes you often will be. Without knowing the specifics of your situation your chances of progressing interview should be better than the average man or woman on the street but ultimately all comes down to interview scores. Internal candidates always have the opportunity to score more points than externals because of the way the questions are set up but that definitely does not mean an external candidate will always lose to an internal.

Last edited:

Kraken

Well, I just got the email to say I’d been successful in getting a ‘Pre-Offer’ for a relief job centred on Oakham (HR must be working late). Utterly delighted (and slightly nervous) now. I know it’s been said before but the advice provided by the many thousands of posts in this thread have been utterly invaluable and I have no doubt that I would not have got this offer without the tips, tricks and encouragement in here.

For all the signallers who post in here, thank you. You’ve no need to come here and help us aspiring signallers, but I’m ever so glad you do. I only really started idly looking at this forum in January and was very quickly ‘radicalised’ by reading how much people genuinely seem to love this job.

Fingers crossed for the medical now - I’m on the more, ahem, jolly side of the BMI scale so hopefully that won’t prove too much of an issue but we shall see.