• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

JB1234

Sorry to hear that. Did you fail and leave NR? Have you reapplied?
No I have a really good LOM and I go back to Signal School on 3rd Aug. I was supposed to go back to Week 4 but because of the delays due to Covid I'm now starting all over.

I don't want to scare anyone who is going off to Signal School because the vast majority pass and those of us that do fail have fortunately been given another chance. It's not that the course is particularly technical, there are just an awful lot of lists/processes/instructions to learn which is understandable given the nature of the role. I know I'm capable of getting through I just struggled with the sheer volume you had to learn in such a short space of time.

I'm nervous about going back because this job means everything to me and my family. But I also know I'm lucky because I'll be going back with a massive advantage over everyone else on the course.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roadster 7

After my interview for Oakham Relief Signaller I had a letter saying I was basically a reserve candidate, yesterday I had a fantastic surprise in my Email saying a candidate has withdrawn and I have now been offered a position!
I had honestly written off getting a position and was concentrating on my other applications.

Thank you to all that have contributed to this thread it has been an enormous help I wouldn't have got here without the information contained in this thread.

Rover77

I have just called shared services to double check everything is ok with my application. I had major problems getting tests reset and due to time elapsed I was worried I may have missed the boat for being considered for interview as it was so far past the closing date. I have just been informed the closing date was the 1st of July. I explained that on the advert it was the 12th of June. Apparently that was the external closing date and I wouldn't get to see the internal one. I believed that if a job appeared on the external list it meant that no one had applied internally. LOM, I would be very grateful if you were able to shed any light on this for me. I continue to wait patiently with my fingers crossed with my status sat at test completed.

Saracen_83

I have just called shared services to double check everything is ok with my application. I had major problems getting tests reset and due to time elapsed I was worried I may have missed the boat for being considered for interview as it was so far past the closing date. I have just been informed the closing date was the 1st of July. I explained that on the advert it was the 12th of June. Apparently that was the external closing date and I wouldn't get to see the internal one. I believed that if a job appeared on the external list it meant that no one had applied internally. LOM, I would be very grateful if you were able to shed any light on this for me. I continue to wait patiently with my fingers crossed with my status sat at test completed.
An application can be advertised both internal And external, it is up to the LOM to decide what he/she prefers. I know of a few at my place that has been advertised internally and externally...

All you can do, is wait and see if you have been selected for interview! Which could be a long wait I’m afraid as I’m sure your aware!

Good luck!

headshot119

Established Member

A job appearing externally is no guarantee that no one internally has applied.

Rover77

An application can be advertised both internal And external, it is up to the LOM to decide what he/she prefers. I know of a few at my place that has been advertised internally and externally...

All you can do, is wait and see if you have been selected for interview! Which could be a long wait I’m afraid as I’m sure your aware!

Good luck!
Thanks for replying

Rover77

A job appearing externally is no guarantee that no one internally has applied.
Oh I see. Thanks for replying. I really need to follow the advice on here and try and forget about it until I hear anything. Just over thinking things as I go away to the Gower at the start of August. I will have very limited internet access.
Ok, I've had a word with myself and will get on with my life and just hope for the best.

MrsP2010

After my interview for Oakham Relief Signaller I had a letter saying I was basically a reserve candidate, yesterday I had a fantastic surprise in my Email saying a candidate has withdrawn and I have now been offered a position!
I had honestly written off getting a position and was concentrating on my other applications.

Thank you to all that have contributed to this thread it has been an enormous help I wouldn't have got here without the information contained in this thread.
That is such good news! Congratulations and I hope you get a start date soon (I'm still waiting since the end of April!!)

Qball

No I have a really good LOM and I go back to Signal School on 3rd Aug. I was supposed to go back to Week 4 but because of the delays due to Covid I'm now starting all over.

I don't want to scare anyone who is going off to Signal School because the vast majority pass and those of us that do fail have fortunately been given another chance. It's not that the course is particularly technical, there are just an awful lot of lists/processes/instructions to learn which is understandable given the nature of the role. I know I'm capable of getting through I just struggled with the sheer volume you had to learn in such a short space of time.

I'm nervous about going back because this job means everything to me and my family. But I also know I'm lucky because I'll be going back with a massive advantage over everyone else on the course.

This happened to guy on my course failed week 6 had to restart because of the virus but he passed 95+% on both test. Second time round he had extra 25mins for the test.

He found flash cards helped him learn and remember the info.

Javagem

Afternoon, waiting times between stages vary hugely between locations and candidates.

It really isn’t any indication whether you hear something days after you hit submit, or joe down the road doesn’t hear for 6 weeks.

Patience really is the key to the whole process, and the job. You see the same thing 100s of times per thread in driver jobs, with people “have you heard anything” “I was told xx weeks” “I was told Monday next week” etc.

The one thing which is good about the NWR recruitment process is you WILL be told one way or the other, they won’t just let you hang until you give up.

I don’t know about other people (not a personal dig at you mate, generally speaking) but I’m getting less and less interested in this thread over the last few months, I can’t put my finger on it but the tone seems to have changed or something?

Maybe Im just going through the male change, or something I don’t know.
Always interested in what you experienced guys have to say Tom - the same questions do seem to be getting asked a lot now though.
My personal situation is that I’m in a waiting game, I was due to start Signaller school at the start of May in York but I’ve been pushed back to September in Coventry now. I just want to get going now, I applied in Jan, interviewed early Feb so it’s been a long wait - but I’m not complaining, it is what it is. Just hope there still plenty of opportunities when I (hopefully) graduate. There seems to be a heck of a lot of Signaller recruitment going on, reading these threads!

JB1234

This happened to guy on my course failed week 6 had to restart because of the virus but he passed 95+% on both test. Second time round he had extra 25mins for the test.

He found flash cards helped him learn and remember the info.
Cheers, that's reassuring to know because it doesn't half knock your confidence. Funnily enough, I've now written out a load of flash cards and have had plenty of time to memorise the lists and acronyms.

High Dyke

Established Member
Always interested in what you experienced guys have to say Tom - the same questions do seem to be getting asked a lot now though.
My personal situation is that I’m in a waiting game, I was due to start Signaller school at the start of May in York but I’ve been pushed back to September in Coventry now. I just want to get going now, I applied in Jan, interviewed early Feb so it’s been a long wait - but I’m not complaining, it is what it is. Just hope there still plenty of opportunities when I (hopefully) graduate. There seems to be a heck of a lot of Signaller recruitment going on, reading these threads!
Like Tom mentioned, patience is the key. When I applied, all those years ago, my application went in about September, the selection test day was held in October, it was December when I was selected for an interview. I then didn't actually start until February of the following year. That was twenty years ago; so nothing has really changed in that respect.

In a previous job I initially failed my driving assessment. Then a depot cleaner job came up, I applied for that and had an interview. The interviewing manager acknowledged that it wasn't really the job I wanted so told me to wait s few more months. I then get a call out of the blue asking me to call in to see the depot manager, had an interview there and then and started driver training a few weeks later.

olilee2

For my interview next week, would it be appropriate for me to show them any documents that support my examples for the NTS? I’m a dispatcher currently and by pure good fortune I had my rules re-assessed by my CDM today and mentioned I was going for signalling. Passed my refresher assessment quite comfortably and he told me that my report will therefore be quite complementary and he was happy to let me have copies of it and my previous ones if it would be any use to show to NR in support of my application?

LOM

For my interview next week, would it be appropriate for me to show them any documents that support my examples for the NTS? I’m a dispatcher currently and by pure good fortune I had my rules re-assessed by my CDM today and mentioned I was going for signalling. Passed my refresher assessment quite comfortably and he told me that my report will therefore be quite complementary and he was happy to let me have copies of it and my previous ones if it would be any use to show to NR in support of my application?
To me it would be a bit odd. I have never had a candidate show me anything like that. In any case the interview is not a rules exam and while your previous railway experience should give you lots of examples for the interview, you would be expected to start over from square 1 at signalling school.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

There is massive national recruitment drive to fill vacancies, work towards this maximum working week thing and to cover for retirements.

Katey89

Havent done it yet,NR recruitment told me yesterday that the manager has requested for a fourth test,has no one else had this then?

I had to do this as well,which I completed, it was a behaviour at work questionnaire.
Although I’ve just had this email through today in regards to the Farncombe position...

Attachments

• AFB0FA9E-394A-4344-884A-91A720A4D0C8.jpeg
    AFB0FA9E-394A-4344-884A-91A720A4D0C8.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 102
Info for anybody who has a face to face interview coming up; I asked Recruitment about mask usage during interviews.

As expected, they confirmed that the applicant should follow local guidance, presumably meaning that if the interviewers are masked up, you should be? Not an issue for me either way as I am travelling by train to my interview next week so will be wearing a mask anyway. Potentially simething for others to consider though?

Kraken

Such good news - is that 4 jobs filled by 4 forum posters for those vacancies now? Great stuff!

LOM

Info for anybody who has a face to face interview coming up; I asked Recruitment about mask usage during interviews.

As expected, they confirmed that the applicant should follow local guidance, presumably meaning that if the interviewers are masked up, you should be? Not an issue for me either way as I am travelling by train to my interview next week so will be wearing a mask anyway. Potentially simething for others to consider though?
In my area we have been doing interviews in a meeting room big enough to allow full social distancing at all times so no need for any additional measures like masks. I would be surprised if other areas are doing it differently. Recruitment is still not keen on face go face interviews anyway.

amanda08

Fantastic! Exact same as my experience!

Cumbo92

Yeah spoke to someone at NR who knows if successful with the course what signal desk I'll be working and its currently 8 hour shifts :) unsure on pattern, is there anyone else here due to be on the course starting 14th September

GMac1502

Yeah spoke to someone at NR who knows if successful with the course what signal desk I'll be working and its currently 8 hour shifts :) unsure on pattern, is there anyone else here due to be on the course starting 14th September
I've not heard yet about a start date, still to have my medical, what training school is it and where about's are you going go be based?

LAX54

Established Member
It makes for good sabre rattling in the media. Not that they ever reports the facts correctly. Anyroad, let's not put a dampener on it for the prospective signallers on here. Any industrial action really is a long way from the start of any negotiation. I'm already dealing with a couple of industrial issues regarding two different areas of signallers at the moment.
agreed ! cannot recall the last time there was a real one ! as for the job, it has to be the best, or one of the best on the Railway, it is a bit paper / form heavy for 21st Century, but when you have a day that has been a 'disrupted' day, major signalling failure / broken rail / suidcide / etc and you have helped pull the service around by the time you go off shift, you go out the door thinking, that was a job well done today :) makes it all worthwhile and a great deal of satisfaction

Jaysub

I had to do this as well,which I completed, it was a behaviour at work questionnaire.
Although I’ve just had this email through today in regards to the Farncombe position...
Hi katey89

yes got the same email too,4th test got sent out by mistake again,second time thats happened to me lol

And have to re-apply as well asking me todo sit judge again which have already done lol

Cumbo92

I've not heard yet about a start date, still to have my medical, what training school is it and where about's are you going go be based?
I've not been for medical yet! But was given start date for start of course and employment, I'm going too the course in York and eventually be based in Derby emcc all being well and successful

GMac1502

Thats good then you got your dates, i'm in Scotland so don't know the situation with how many people are going to Shettleston training school in Glasgow, would be ideal for me as i'm only 30 mins or so away from it.

Katey89

Hi katey89

yes got the same email too,4th test got sent out by mistake again,second time thats happened to me lol

And have to re-apply as well asking me todo sit judge again which have already done lol

Same here lol they've now done the same for the haselmere post too. so I've re-applied again. fingers crossed we won't have to do it again lol

Javagem

There is massive national recruitment drive to fill vacancies, work towards this maximum working week thing and to cover for retirements.
Just hope there’s still plenty of opportunity in terms of overtime and decent grades!
what’s the max working week now, is it 60hrs?

Jaysub

Same here lol they've now done the same for the haselmere post too. so I've re-applied again. fingers crossed we won't have to do it again lol
Yea just seen iv been withdrawn,glad i can apply again though too lol

Wanderer84

Hi katey89

I've also received the withdrawal emails for those 2 (I'm expecting Guildford to come up with this, as well).

A little disappointed, I had no difficulties with the 4th test. Here's hoping the replacement test is similar.:D