• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Trackboy

I am in dilemma hope someone can answer this for me. I am an internal candiate, already a signaller.

I have interview coming up for Grade 7 in 2 day and interview for Grade 9 in 2 weeks. Say if I pass interview for Grade 7 and accept the job offer would my application be withdrawn from Grade 9? Will I not get chance to interview for Grade 9 aswell and obviously if I pass the interview for Grade 9 I will choose the higher grade. Hope I have made myself clear.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Are they at the same location / LOM ?

I’d go in do my best, and see what happens your under no commitment to take either in reality.

Weight up the G9 job against the G7, work content, location, shifts, colleagues etc.

Might well be the G7 job is better than the G9 overall.

Best of luck.

Trackboy

Are they at the same location / LOM ?

I’d go in do my best, and see what happens your under no commitment to take either in reality.

Weight up the G9 job against the G7, work content, location, shifts, colleagues etc.

Might well be the G7 job is better than the G9 overall.

Best of luck.

No different LOM. Say If I pass G7 interview and take the job and later on after 2 weeks I also pass G9 interview can I reject G7 job and accept G9.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
You’ll be allowed to take both interviews (I’ve done it), and potentially be offered two jobs (again I’ve done it lol).

My experience was a mirror image of yours, although I was external at the time.

FTC G2 verse Permanent G7.

Trackboy

You’ll be allowed to take both interviews (I’ve done it), and potentially be offered two jobs (again I’ve done it lol).

My experience was a mirror image of yours, although I was external at the time.

FTC G2 verse Permanent G7.

So you had G2 interview, passed and accepted G2 job. Then had G7 interview, passed rejected G2 and went for G7 job. Am I right?

Rover77

Hi all. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has successfully made it to interview when the status after test completed changed to application under consideration. I'm aware that if I was in HRs top 6 it would say under consideration for assessment 2. I'm still in the pot at least so fingers crossed.

headshot119

Established Member
I am in dilemma hope someone can answer this for me. I am an internal candiate, already a signaller.

I have interview coming up for Grade 7 in 2 days and interview for Grade 9 in 2 weeks. Say if I pass interview for Grade 7 and accept the job offer would my application be withdrawn from Grade 9? Will I not get chance to interview for Grade 9 aswell and obviously if I pass the interview for Grade 9 I will choose the higher grade. Hope I have made myself clear.

Thanks in advance.

If you are an internal candidate, even if you accept the G7 job, you won't automatically be rejected from the G9 job, you'll still get the chance to interview.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
So you had G2 interview, passed and accepted G2 job. Then had G7 interview, passed rejected G2 and went for G7 job. Am I right?

Thats correct yes, in fact my medical was for the G2 was turned into my G7 medical so my new LOM got a “free” medical.

CK1

Hi CK1 do you mind me asking which locations you chose ?
Asking as when I had my interview on Thursday they mentioned that I should find out within the next few days whether I was successful or not but I would be surprised if that was the case and they still had people to interview ? I chose Derby, Staffordshire area. Cheers
I chose Derby and market rasen, would prefer derby if im honest

Thebullet

Has anyone been for a medical in York?
I have looked on Google maps for the location, the Old Biscuit Warehouse is a decent size could anyone give me some on the ground directions?

HaylStonee

To be honest with you, a dozen people can say there easy and you’ll be fine.

But in reality you may find them very difficult, so anyone’s opinion on the difficulty is irrelevant really.

The very best advice from someone who has been there is take a deep breath, chill and try your best.

If you fail, it’ll seem like the end of the world, like you’ll never pass them. But, do you know what? You will, if the desire is there to do so.

Personally, I’ve never bothered with any practice tests for any job. They either give you a false sense of security, or make you feel like you’ll never pass them!

Is your deadline for submitting them tomorrow? If it’s not, don’t do them tomorrow have a day to chill out and approach them for real with a fresh head.

If the deadline is tomorrow, try and put your negative experience of the practice ones out of your mind - easy said I know.

Best of luck !

Thank you so much! I eventually completed the tests last night and I didn’t find them as bad as the practice ones which was a relief!

Just need to wait now...

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thank you so much! I eventually completed the tests last night and I didn’t find them as bad as the practice ones which was a relief!

Just need to wait now...

Im glad you feel a little better now, try and relax now - easy side I know.

Best of luck.

Pablo65

Has anyone been for a medical in York?
I have looked on Google maps for the location, the Old Biscuit Warehouse is a decent size could anyone give me some on the ground directions?
As far as I am aware the medicals are done at Optima Health which is located in portakabin style buildings next to York ROC. You access them just before Cinder Lane at the entrance to NRM South entrance.

RailNoob

Just had confirmation off passing all my pre employment checks, and a provisional start date of April next year. Its been a long old slog as I applied February this year but glad I finally have some light at the end of the tunnel !

Peterperfect

Can somebody tell me, whilst at signal school, are the hotel rooms shared with other trainees or are they single man/woman rooms? I know it's a random question but just trying to find out in advance. Thanks :)

Wishful thinking

Well, that's 3 application unsuccessfuls in 3 days without getting to an interview (2x Signaller and 1x station supervisor) talk about a disappointing week!!! Back to the drawing board I to rework my CV I think. Hopefully one day something will come up and I'll get my chance.

Its not just your CV you should look at. Your answers to the 69 questions should be rounded and covering the question fully.

You could already have a good cv and 69 answers but if you score well but not well enough you dont get past that point.

BigRob21

Absolutely over the moon right now! Just received confirmation from the onboarding team that all checks, including medical have been completed and a start date will now be arranged (pending serving 4 weeks notice with my current employer). This forum really has been like gold. I have taken so much from here and spoke with some great people. It has really helped me build on my understanding on all things relating to the world of a signaller.

With this in mind... Thank you to each and everyone of you that has contributed to this forum!

:)

CK1

Hi CK1 do you mind me asking which locations you chose ?
Asking as when I had my interview on Thursday they mentioned that I should find out within the next few days whether I was successful or not but I would be surprised if that was the case and they still had people to interview ? I chose Derby, Staffordshire area. Cheers
Have u had an email today? I was told in my interview yesterday I'd hear something by the 15th but then my email today says the 30th

SWTurbo

Can't seem to find much clarification on this question: I'm applying (or planning on) for the relief job at Haslemere. I've seen that anything lower than 18% isn't usually worth it, but luckily this is 18! Can someone clarify whether relief signallers get a base roster as well or whether it is just the ad hoc shifts when required? many thanks!

89jordanbj

Can't seem to find much clarification on this question: I'm applying (or planning on) for the relief job at Haslemere. I've seen that anything lower than 18% isn't usually worth it, but luckily this is 18! Can someone clarify whether relief signallers get a base roster as well or whether it is just the ad hoc shifts when required? many thanks!
You will have a base roster but you will not know what shift you are working or which box until at latest the Thursday before I believe. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

SWTurbo

You will have a base roster but you will not know what shift you are working or which box until at latest the Thursday before I believe. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks for the info! Is anyone in the know with Haslemere's relief lot, whether they cover just the one box or any of the fringe boxes?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
As far as I am aware the medicals are done at Optima Health which is located in portakabin style buildings next to York ROC. You access them just before Cinder Lane at the entrance to NRM South entrance.

There is a onsite (within the ROC Training Centre) where they do medical exams / pee testing - probably more the latter however.

You are correct, base roster tells you the days your roster clerk can play god with your life, it’ll also tell you when you maybe able to plan your life.

HOWEVER, the law of sod will ensure when you’ve something planned on your “Rest Day” the roster clerk will see you as begging to work nights the night before they eating half your rest day.

As for anything less than 18% not being worth it, being a former 4% relief can tell you that definitely isn't worth it !

But, it’s a step on a very tall ladder so short term “pain” for long term gain if your “unlucky” to gain a less than 18% relief role.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Is anyone in the know with Haslemere's relief lot, whether they cover just the one box or any of the fringe boxes?

There's a Haslemere relief on my IST course currently and I'm pretty sure the other box he covers is Petersfield. He does read this forum so he will be able to confirm this I'm sure

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Relief at the mighty mere cover Farncombe and Petersfield boxes as well.
Rad boxes, rad people.

Thebullet

There is a onsite (within the ROC Training Centre) where they do medical exams / pee testing - probably more the latter however.

The address I received is York DU Healthcare Facility Network Rail Old Biscuit Warehouse Leeman Road, Off Cinder Lane York YO26 4XD, is that the NRM?

Cumbo92

I'm not starting there till November unfotunately! But how has your first week on the job been Cumbo?
Yeah very good just been in and around the panel I’ve been working and doing some e-learning. Lots of good people lots of good advice too. Panel looks interesting can’t wait too get back after IST! Yeah be here before you know it! Can’t believe how quick this has come around! X

ChrisRS

The address I received is York DU Healthcare Facility Network Rail Old Biscuit Warehouse Leeman Road, Off Cinder Lane York YO26 4XD, is that the NRM?

National Railway Museum. Go into the car park and there's an entrance to the DU buildings you can't miss it. (blue gates at the back)

jossh78

Have u had an email today? I was told in my interview yesterday I'd hear something by the 15th but then my email today says the 30th
Hi CK, had that email this time last week as my interview was last Thursday 3rd, I’ve tried to just forget about it for now and I figure someone will be in touch at some stage. I think it will the the 30th as I believe they have interviews all of September.