• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Pcoftw

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any information on the Lincoln road crossing shift? Is it an 8hr? I saw somewhere that progressing into a signaller role from that particular box has no chance? Is this true? Forgive my ignorance if all grade 1 are 8hrs or something... I have used the search feature to look for info on the crossing but there seems to be none.. I know the jobs simple and to be fair I would feel slightly overpaid for what you need to do. Still nonetheless good to do some research anyways..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pancakes84

Optima have locations all over the country, give them a call, maybe they can move it closer to you (if that's ok with your HR contact/LOM of course)

I think they’re struggling because of Covid. They had a closer one but I couldn’t do the dates. It’s not a huge issue, good excuse for a road trip and it’ll all be worth it :)

WL113

I don't know Lincoln Road or it's shift pattern, any box can be 8 or 12 hours though and don't worry about not being able to progress from there, thats not true. The internal vacancies are open for any employees to apply.

Rockhopper

A grade 1 crossing keeper means you don't do signalling school which is worth bearing in mind for progression.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Optima have locations all over the country, give them a call, maybe they can move it closer to you (if that's ok with your HR contact/LOM of course)

When you get an appointment 600 miles from home it’s 99% of the time that it’s even earliest appointment they have for the type of medical you need.

I had a overnight stop once for a medical appointment as a closer one was way to long to wait.

Pcoftw

I don't know Lincoln Road or it's shift pattern, any box can be 8 or 12 hours though and don't worry about not being able to progress from there, thats not true. The internal vacancies are open for any employees to apply.
A grade 1 crossing keeper means you don't do signalling school which is worth bearing in mind for progression.
Yeah, not to worry hopefully someone here will/ does. I figured with the current situation, a foot in the door is better than none. I could always apply after a couple years to a signaller position? With the internal vacancy list being larger than the external one I assume. Surely, I’d have priority over external applicants too. If not, a bit of experience then. Also, does this post attract London allowance? It’s within 16 miles of charring cross? But I don’t think it does.

AndyDundee

Hi everyone

New user here so apologies if this has been answered previously.

I'm considering applying for a job as a signaller but I was wondering if anyone has any info on the closure of trackside boxes and what the timeline for that might be?

I'm based in Dundee and not looking to relocate to Edinburgh or Glasgow, so just wondered what the future looks like for boxes and signalling centres nearby.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

Chumba

No chance anyone will have any expenses reimbursed prior to emolument, once your on the inside you’ll have you work related travel paid however.

I was offered free train travel to go to my medical, but that was travelling with SWT, and NR staff get free travel on SWT, (local agreement) so doubt it’s a countrywide thing. As for petrol I was told it was down to me to get there. I decided to drive as it was quicker and due to the location of the medical.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I was offered free train travel to go to my medical, but that was travelling with SWT, and NR staff get free travel on SWT, (local agreement) so doubt it’s a countrywide thing. As for petrol I was told it was down to me to get there. I decided to drive as it was quicker and due to the location of the medical.

Wessex and Western both get travel of varying degrees with both South Western and Great Western operating companies yes.

NoEyeDeer

Finally got my medical booked in for tomorrow at edinburgh, looking forward to the journey down, hoping there’s a signal school starting in glasgow soon, but I’m not holding my breath!

High Dyke

Established Member
Hi everyone

New user here so apologies if this has been answered previously.

I'm considering applying for a job as a signaller but I was wondering if anyone has any info on the closure of trackside boxes and what the timeline for that might be?

I'm based in Dundee and not looking to relocate to Edinburgh or Glasgow, so just wondered what the future looks like for boxes and signalling centres nearby.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy
Welcome. Don't be put off by suggestions of a location closing and not applying. Network Rail initially put out a '30 year master plan' for relocating signal boxes into regional signalling centres. However, the plan was a lame duck before it started. Each region will still have a plan in place, but on a much smaller scale.

Currently NR are looking at future opportunities and 'age profiling' of current staff, with a view to making sure they have sufficient resources in place for when people retire.

jossh78

I’ve had the amazing news that I’ll be starting signalling school in February :D

just wanted to thank everyone on this thread, it’s been incredibly useful and really helped with my application!

I’ve already been contacted to arrange my medical and unfortunately will have to travel about two hours for this, which is fine, but I just wondered if anyone knows if I should be claiming fuel for that or if it’s just one of them things? Not a problem either way but just not sure what’s normal protocol.

thanks again - super excited to get started now!
Congratulations Pancakes, I had a feeling that you had been successful as you were suspiciously quiet on here last week when the rest of got our rejections. Again congratulations and well done.
I will keep going and hopefully join you in the near future.:)

I’ve had the amazing news that I’ll be starting signalling school in February :D

just wanted to thank everyone on this thread, it’s been incredibly useful and really helped with my application!

I’ve already been contacted to arrange my medical and unfortunately will have to travel about two hours for this, which is fine, but I just wondered if anyone knows if I should be claiming fuel for that or if it’s just one of them things? Not a problem either way but just not sure what’s normal protocol.

thanks again - super excited to get started now!

Hi, congrats on the amazing news.

Just wondering if you're part of the future opportunities recruitment?

iwasyoungonce

In the formal offer pack there is a working time options form.

From what I understand it’s if you wish to work 48 hours or more.
My current contracted hours are 35.

I would love to work overtime if there is any available at my SB once I’m passed out.

Would I fill this form out? It requests my LOM’s signature too.

Sorry if this is a bit of a naff question I am just really unsure if this affects whether or not I’ll be able to do overtime or if I leave it and I’ll still be able to do overtime?

Thank you.
Think that's to do with opting out of the European working time directive, you can do that voluntarily and sign back into it at any time

Sammy2019

Does anyone know what the video interviews for signaller is like. Apparently it’s a 90 minute interview. I presume it’s a standard competency interview?

Pancakes84

Congratulations Pancakes, I had a feeling that you had been successful as you were suspiciously quiet on here last week when the rest of got our rejections. Again congratulations and well done.
I will keep going and hopefully join you in the near future.:)

hey,
Yeah I’d just had an email saying I’d be contacted this week and then got the news!
hopefully, some of you will be contacted from the reserve list.
:lol:
Hi, congrats on the amazing news.

Just wondering if you're part of the future opportunities recruitment?

hey, thank you.
yeah it was the East Midlands future opportunities

AndyDundee

Welcome. Don't be put off by suggestions of a location closing and not applying. Network Rail initially put out a '30 year master plan' for relocating signal boxes into regional signalling centres. However, the plan was a lame duck before it started. Each region will still have a plan in place, but on a much smaller scale.

Currently NR are looking at future opportunities and 'age profiling' of current staff, with a view to making sure they have sufficient resources in place for when people retire.

Thank you!

I suppose if were lucky enough to be interviewed then I could always ask about it.

Will put an application in and see what happens!

High Dyke

Established Member
Thank you!

I suppose if were lucky enough to be interviewed then I could always ask about it.

Will put an application in and see what happens!
Fair enough. I've just had a look at the last advised update from Network Rail (only available internally). It was dated January 2020, but there was "no update available" regarding Scotland.

bouff34

Think that's to do with opting out of the European working time directive, you can do that voluntarily and sign back into it at any time

It is. I signed mine when I joined up. If you find you are getting offered too much overtime for your circumstances you just say no and no one will criticise you.

iwasyoungonce

On the subject of retirement, do Network Rail have an upper age limit or compulsory retirement age ? Whats the average age of current staff ?

Rockhopper

No, no and no idea. Its illegal these days to discriminate against someone based on their age.

Cityhedgehog

hey,
Yeah I’d just had an email saying I’d be contacted this week and then got the news!
hopefully, some of you will be contacted from the reserve list.
:lol:

Hi Pancakes,
I've been a real lurker on this forum but I'll be at Signalling school in February too Do you know which school you'll be at?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
On the subject of retirement, do Network Rail have an upper age limit or compulsory retirement age ? Whats the average age of current staff ?

My location now has a part time link, which has given the older chaps the opportunity to still work if they wanted at a much reduced number of days per month.

Cityhedgehog

Hello, I was offered one of the WMSC roles last month via telephone, apparently starting in February at Walsall signalling school. I know recruitment on the railway always seems to take forever but I've heard nothing since and my application is stuck at "Assessment 2 booked". Is anyone else due to start then? Have you had any more information than that? I've called recruitment and they've asked me to wait until the end of the week before they'll raise it.

I hope you're all doing well and a huge thank you to this forum for your help in getting the role x

hey,
I’m going to Derby I believe :) what about you?

Walsall I believe. Congratulations on your job offer

Last edited:

BigRob21

Hello, I was offered one of the WMSC roles last month via telephone, apparently starting in February at Walsall signalling school. I know recruitment on the railway always seems to take forever but I've heard nothing since and my application is stuck at "Assessment 2 booked". Is anyone else due to start then? Have you had any more information than that? I've called recruitment and they've asked me to wait until the end of the week before they'll raise it.

I hope you're all doing well and a huge thank you to this forum for your help in getting the role x

Walsall I believe. Congratulations on your job offer
Hay Cityhedgehog, hope your well. I am due to start at the WMSC on 26th of this month. I have also been told I will be going to school in Walsall but it starts the following week (2nd Nov). Congrats on getting the offer though and I'm sure our paths will cross in the near future :)

AndyDundee

Fair enough. I've just had a look at the last advised update from Network Rail (only available internally). It was dated January 2020, but there was "no update available" regarding Scotland.

I've done a bit of googling to see if I could find any other info but it's pretty sparse. Thanks for sharing though.

Any top tips for applying? It's my first time so the process is all new to me!