• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Rockhopper

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that state that things are in now. Industry experts predict it'll be seven years before passenger numbers get back to what they used to be (if at all). However there has been some talk of taking a more decentralised approach with regard to signalling - having all your eggs in once basket with signalling controlled from a small number of remote control centres could shut the network down if someone was to get ill and they had to close one of them. The old system of multiple signal boxes covering a relatively small area would be much more robust but significantly more expensive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Amy1090

I’m at IST now and would strongly suggest you only learn the classes of the trains. I tried to learn them all before I came and found it really hard. The other codes are taught as an when you learn the subject and it’s not hard. The classes of trains are used straight away
Can you or anyone else point me to where the classes of trains are in the rule books? Unless I’m being completely blind I can’t seem to find them! Thank you :)

High Dyke

Established Member
:D And will always need MOMs !
Indeed. They are just increasing the number where I live. Then again they are due to go 24/7. However, it isn't without issue. Much like the signaller re-org in my area, management have taken the soft option by changing the Rest Day Relief into resident staff. Arguably that is a back door redundancy, in all but name. Displacing staff means a lowering of income for a start, even if they are changing the actual roster hours they work.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Didn’t wrangle it, it’s just what I’ve been paid?

Be careful there has been a national balls up with FP - lots of us have been getting if when we shouldn’t and have to pay it back.

Double check and get it written your officially receiving it.

High Dyke

Established Member
Be careful there has been a national balls up with FP - lots of us have been getting if when we shouldn’t and have to pay it back.

Double check and get it written your officially receiving it.
Wise words. They got mine wrong 15 years ago and I had to pay back the difference. We've also had signallers disciplined, and a couple sacked for fraud, over FP payments.

amanda08

Wise words. They got mine wrong 15 years ago and I had to pay back the difference. We've also had signallers disciplined, and a couple sacked for fraud, over FP payments.
Fraud ! How can it be fraud?? As a brand new employee, I have little control over my own pay and pay slip!
Doesn't state anywhere that I wouldn't or shouldn't be receiving it so why would it fraud on my part? Seems highly unfair to me!

High Dyke

Established Member
Fraud ! How can it be fraud?? As a brand new employee, I have little control over my own pay and pay slip!
Doesn't state anywhere that I wouldn't or shouldn't be receiving it so why would it fraud on my part? Seems highly unfair to me!
I wasn't blaming you, and I apologise if that is how my comment was perceived. It was more the fact, like Tom mentioned, payroll are known for making errors, but then put the onus on the employee to tell them. In the cases I referred to the employees didn't speak up and continued to claim for something they weren't entitled to. Hence disciplinary action was taken.

I'm not suggesting anything, more that it may be wise to check with your LOM or resources manager to make sure that payroll haven't made a mistake.

amanda08

Ok, fair enough, thanks for clarifying. But if you are hired as relief and get paid fp, surely that's not "claiming" it is it? Just being paid what you expect?
I'll query with my LOM in any event as I certainly don't want to be accused of anything.
Thanks

High Dyke

Established Member
Ok, fair enough, thanks for clarifying. But if you are hired as relief and get paid fp, surely that's not "claiming" it is it? Just being paid what you expect?
I'll query with my LOM in any event as I certainly don't want to be accused of anything.
Thanks
Fair enough. It may be that us 'long in the tooth' signallers aren't aware of a change regarding this matter

Saracen_83

Thanks

just playing devils advocate here and not saying I agree, but HR payroll could say that yes your are employed as a relief, but at the moment, you are not on a relief roster, so should not be claiming/being paid relief premium.Same as you shouldn’t be getting night allowance and Sunday payment (unless you travel to school on a Sunday then yes you are entitled to it).

Im just saying that they can spin it how they want, rightly or wrongly.

As mentioned, I would clarify with your LOM about the payment and if it was me, I’d also do it via email so there is a paper trail, just in case !!!!!!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Deploy the anchor shipmate!

No one is accusing you for one second, Ive been told I was paid SE Allowance when I wasn’t entitled (moved location). I never read my slip so had no idea, only been told three months ago.

All we’re saying is ask your LOM if it’s correct, save yourself the hassle of sorting out later.

Your right we have a pay department to sort our pay out, is it fair no! But life isn’t fair.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I read somewhere that every NWR region has to find 25% cost savings by order of the treasury. Nothing official as yet, but that’s not a surprise really.

The trains I’m seeing are extremely quite with handfuls of passengers onboard, probably not paying the fare as guards round here are still on no revenue duties.

I’m not trying to scare anyone, but I’m sharing my concerns that the knives are out and I’m worried about the future.

I left a TOC (Guard) for signaller as I thought it would see me through to end, but I’m not so sure now.

I do hold onto the logic that even if the railway “closed” passenger wise we’d still have freight and you would still need LBs, T3s etc with the associated freight and OTM runs etc so there would be a need for us.

Any thoughts?

I think it would be naive to not expect some cuts in areas of the railway business. I would agree though that signallers are probably the most protected. However could regrading become a thing if some lines suddenly become quieter as service provision is reduced to cut costs?

High Dyke

Established Member
I think it would be naive to not expect some cuts in areas of the railway business. I would agree though that signallers are probably the most protected. However could regrading become a thing if some lines suddenly become quieter as service provision is reduced to cut costs?
Luckily most of my area signallers are grade 2. However, there are couple of Grade 3 boxes where the train service doesn't warrant the grade, but it isn't all about that. If a box re-grade was being requested today it would probably remain unchanged or even reduced, even without any reduced service. East Midlands Railway have just introduced service reductions from this week, as shown on the EMR website.

Rockhopper

There is a location near me that’s manned 24/7. The last train at night is around 22.30 and the first train next morning is about 05.30 so they employ someone to sit there all night because the normal morning shift starts at 06.30. That seems crazy to me!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There is a location near me that’s manned 24/7. The last train at night is around 22.30 and the first train next morning is about 05.30 so they employ someone to sit there all night because the normal morning shift starts at 06.30. That seems crazy to me!

This isn't unheard of in the railway though. When last trains / services end after 23:00 and start at 05:00, its more effective to keep a night turn "office" (controller / signaller etc.) on shift rather than having a regular start time of before 0600 which is very difficult to get in for and absolutely decimates your sleep (waking up at 0400 or similar). You can keep 12/12 or 8/8/8 that way.

WL113

There are loads of signalboxes where that is the case. It makes for easier rostering, keeps the line open if needed for diversions and possessions. There is also the security aspect. Many closed signalboxes have met the attention of the less desirable elements of society at night..

Sunset route

Established Member
Does anyone know when does Victoria Asc moves to Three bridges ROC?

Local rumour from under the conrail is that they are working up plans to move the remaining Central panels (panels 1, 2a, 2b & 3) plus panel 5 from the Eastern side of VASC to TBROC in the medium future and the rest of of the Eastern panels to Gillingham ROC at some point in the long term future, but it’s all rumour at the moment with no actual timescale.

SiggysigAah

just playing devils advocate here and not saying I agree, but HR payroll could say that yes your are employed as a relief, but at the moment, you are not on a relief roster, so should not be claiming/being paid relief premium.Same as you shouldn’t be getting night allowance and Sunday payment (unless you travel to school on a Sunday then yes you are entitled to it).

Im just saying that they can spin it how they want, rightly or wrongly.

As mentioned, I would clarify with your LOM about the payment and if it was me, I’d also do it via email so there is a paper trail, just in case !!!!!!
I would second the bit in bold and underlined!!! I had a mysterious payment appear on my payslip (not Network Rail). I emailed my manager querying what it was for. Got no response so I forwarded my enquiry to Payroll, who had no idea or explanation. I did a bit more digging and found out it was related to my company vehicle. So I forwarded my enquiry to fleet who did nothing for 3 months.

I kept the overpayments separate in a savings account. When it was discovered months down the line I produced the emails and lack of replies. Put my slippers on, smoked a pipe and put my feet up.

bouff34

It's not fraud at the moment... as clearly no dishonesty on your part. BUT, if you ignore it and continue to accept the money and subsequently it is shown to have been paid in error then you will almost certainly have to pay it back. And if they can prove that you knew you weren't entitled to it and did nothing about it then it COULD be construed as fraud.

A more extreme example might be people you hear about who get a wrongly routed million pounds land in their account and they decide to go out and buy a couple of Ferraris even though they know the money is not theirs...

No one is saying you have done anything wrong, most likely payroll/HR have messed up. Possibly, a policy has changed and the payment is correct? But to cover yourself you should flag it to your LOM and/or payroll preferably by email so that there is an audit trail. If they say it is all correct then enjoy the extra at Christmas!

(from a retired PC of 26 years with some knowledge of criminal law...)

NoEyeDeer

I’ve seen some posts about what to wear at signalling school,

surely,
black jeans (no rips), Plain T-Shirt and black trainers is fine.

no problem going out and buying “smarter” clothing, but if it’s not an issue wearing the above, I won’t as it’s not something I would wear daily anyway. And not particularly something I would find training in comfortable. Cheers