• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

nom de guerre

Wembley Mainline SCC is located a short walk from Harlesden (I think the station is) on the bakerloo line.

Stonebridge Park is the nearest station. Overground and Bakerloo.

Does anyone know where a wembley signaller would be based? No actual location information. It was under the vacancy with Network Rail. Rugby somewhere else and Wembley. Thanks!

There are several boxes in the Wembley area. Did the ad mention a grade, or grade banding?

Wembley Mainline is Grade 7-9 (depending on the link)
Wembley Yard is Grade 6
Willesden Carriage Shed North / South are Grade 2/3 (can't remember off hand).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hoppy88mph

Hi mate, I interviewed last Tuesday, and was successful, start date of the 26th, best of luck to you

How did you think it went mate?
Hi mate, just flicking through this thread, I had my interview last Thursday too for a Exeter position! They said 3 days I would hear something. Just wondering if you have heard anything back? This question is For Leeward!!

Last edited:

Ebee

Stonebridge Park is the nearest station. Overground and Bakerloo.

There are several boxes in the Wembley area. Did the ad mention a grade, or grade banding?

Wembley Mainline is Grade 7-9 (depending on the link)
Wembley Yard is Grade 6
Willesden Carriage Shed North / South are Grade 2/3 (can't remember off hand).
Thanks for the info. Grade 4 the advert said.

I wouldn’t pay any attention to the hub status. Mine was sat at assessment for a month or two after I got offered a position.

Don’t panic if you don’t get the call within the time frame they stated during the interview. I’d leave it until after Wednesday and then email recruitment asking for an update.
I applied for Marston Vale two years ago, still waiting for it to move to the next stage having done the tests apparently. But this was on a different NR careers site to the one the current MV vacancy was posted on - which I have also applied to and done the 5 suitability tests. I'm guessing the old site got deprecated and they never updated anything outstanding!

Andy9gc

Sorry if this has already been answered earlier in the thread. I have applied for a signaller position at TVSC and luckily, I have been invited for an interview after thinking I failed the online tests.

I have a few questions, hopefully somebody can help me -

1. What is the shift pattern at TVSC, are the rosters 8/12 hours? and have anyone got an example of the roster?
2. How many Sundays are normally rostered?
3. I have a few holidays booked that I cannot change as they are non-refundable and are less than 3 months apart, if I was to be successful would this impact on the 12-week classroom training?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nemo01

Sorry if this has already been answered earlier in the thread. I have applied for a signaller position at TVSC and luckily, I have been invited for an interview after thinking I failed the online tests.

1. What is the shift pattern at TVSC, are the rosters 8/12 hours? and have anyone got an example of the roster?
3. I have a few holidays booked that I cannot change as they are non-refundable and are less than 3 months apart, if I was to be successful would this impact on the 12-week classroom training?

Thanks!
I can't help with the first two questions but when I first started my training it was made clear to me that I would not be able to take any annual leave whilst at signalling school. After that there were no issues with taking leave

Andy9gc

I can't help with the first two questions but when I first started my training it was made clear to me that I would not be able to take any annual leave whilst at signalling school. After that there were no issues with taking leave
Thanks, and was that just during the initial 12 weeks or also during on location training?

Andy9gc

It was just during the signalling school period, once on location training they were very flexible.

That's great to know. How long after accepting a position does the signalling school start? And is there flexibility in terms of start dates if you have pior commitments? My last leave that I cant change is at the end of march 23.

Exscrew

That's great to know. How long after accepting a position does the signalling school start? And is there flexibility in terms of start dates if you have pior commitments? My last leave that I cant change is at the end of march 23.
It varies massively of how long due to course spaces.
Just speak to the LOM and explain they will be helpful

Signal_Box

Thanks!

TVSC info has been posted at length many times over the last 30 pages…

DC36

Good afternoon, I'm looking for some advice if I may. I'm due to start with Network Rail on the 10th October and IST on the 17th. As of yet I've not heard anything from my LOM so I'm not sure where I'm going on the 10th and what I'll be doing for the first week. Are there any recent starters on here who could enlighten as to what to expect for that first week and give me some guidance on what to expect with IST? I'm assuming we get put up in a hotel nearby?

Thanks in advance

Casey_Jones

Good afternoon, I'm looking for some advice if I may. I'm due to start with Network Rail on the 10th October and IST on the 17th. As of yet I've not heard anything from my LOM so I'm not sure where I'm going on the 10th and what I'll be doing for the first week. Are there any recent starters on here who could enlighten as to what to expect for that first week and give me some guidance on what to expect with IST? I'm assuming we get put up in a hotel nearby?

Thanks in advance
Chances are on the 10th you'll go and meet your LOM for an induction, get your rule books etc. The rest of your first week will be box visits where possible, probably doing some mandatory eLearning courses, but should be fairly chilled.

For IST you'll be put up in a hotel near the training centre. Breakfast will be included and you'll have a £25 a day budget to spend on dinner and soft drinks, so keep your fingers crossed for an extensive menu or it can get really boring really quickly!

As for what to expect at IST, it's full on pretty much from day 1 so be ready to work hard both in class and on your own time in the evenings. Though IST is tough because of the sheer volume of information you have to take on board, I reckon anyone who can make it through the very onerous recruitment process can handle IST - but only if you put the work in.

Exscrew

Chances are on the 10th you'll go and meet your LOM for an induction, get your rule books etc. The rest of your first week will be box visits where possible, probably doing some mandatory eLearning courses, but should be fairly chilled.

For IST you'll be put up in a hotel near the training centre. Breakfast will be included and you'll have a £25 a day budget to spend on dinner and soft drinks, so keep your fingers crossed for an extensive menu or it can get really boring really quickly!

As for what to expect at IST, it's full on pretty much from day 1 so be ready to work hard both in class and on your own time in the evenings. Though IST is tough because of the sheer volume of information you have to take on board, I reckon anyone who can make it through the very onerous recruitment process can handle IST - but only if you put the work in.
Also you can use the 25 pound allowance to eat wherever you like and claim the money back on expenses.
If going to york then rustiques do a set menu for around 25 pound ...

Leeward

I emailed recruitment last week, they swiftly replied with the unsuccessful news!

Sorry about that. The same thing happened with my Worcester application last month so this does not bode well for me either.

I don't understand why they cannot promptly inform you of an unsuccessful interview. Making you wait for bad news when they have already made up their mind just seems unnecessarily cruel.

Seejwalker

Sorry about that. The same thing happened with my Worcester application last month so this does not bode well for me either.

I don't understand why they cannot promptly inform you of an unsuccessful interview. Making you wait for bad news when they have already made up their mind just seems unnecessarily cruel.
It’s a HR team that not only looks after 30+ thousand members of staff. But also a large amount of new applicants every year, sadly it’s not efficient to prioritise unsuccessful candidates over everything else.

Leeward

I don't expect prioritisation. The unsuccessful email always arrives eventually so why can't it be sent when the decision is made? If I made it all the way to the interview stage I would expect that as a courtesy at least.

y0rkie287

Things are moving on here, I've just been sent the health questionnaire by Optima Health and filled it all in, it states that they will send an opinion to Network Rail, does this mean my medical is just an online questionnaire or are they likely to request an in person medical?

DC36

Things are moving on here, I've just been sent the health questionnaire by Optima Health and filled it all in, it states that they will send an opinion to Network Rail, does this mean my medical is just an online questionnaire or are they likely to request an in person medical?
I had to do an online questionnaire and a face2face medical. It just made the medical quicker as I'd prefilled the questionnaire, otherwise they have to sit and go through it all with you at the appointment.