• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Flashbang

finally had my medical on Thursday after having it moved around several times!

Met the standard although awaiting a call from a Dr to confirm some medication I’m on so they can’t fully sign me off until then which is annoying!

I have however had my hotel bookings through to start on the 13th November in York if anyone else has been given info on this IST??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailwayRookie

finally had my medical on Thursday after having it moved around several times!

Met the standard although awaiting a call from a Dr to confirm some medication I’m on so they can’t fully sign me off until then which is annoying!

I have however had my hotel bookings through to start on the 13th November in York if anyone else has been given info on this IST??
My start date is the 30th October with two weeks online learning, which would put my IST date the same as yours, I haven't had any confirmations yet though.
I may end up seeing you there.

LittleByName

First time poster, been a reader since this thread started.

I recently applied for Wales - Signaller Entry Level Wales - Shrewsbury, Llandudno Junction, Bangor & Hereford. I just wanted to see if anyone would be able to tell me what boxes that would be in those areas. I applied as being a signaller is something that has always been in the back of my mind and I was looking for a change off career. Thanks everyone

Llanigraham

On Moderation
As far as I know,
Hereford would be all Boxes from Abergavenny north to Woofferton Junction.
Shrewsbury would be all the Boxes from Bromfield northwards to Dorrington, plus possibly all the Shrewsbury Town Boxes, other than Sutton Bridge Junct, which I now think is controlled by the Machynlleth Manager as it borders onto the ERTMS system.
(So that basically covers all the southern Marches route)
All bar Dorrington are 12 hour shift Boxes and seem to be open 24/7.

Don't know about North Wales, but you will be expected to have travelling time of no more than 60 minutes from your home to a Box.

Exscrew

As far as I know,
Hereford would be all Boxes from Abergavenny north to Woofferton Junction.
Shrewsbury would be all the Boxes from Bromfield northwards to Dorrington, plus possibly all the Shrewsbury Town Boxes, other than Sutton Bridge Junct, which I now think is controlled by the Machynlleth Manager as it borders onto the ERTMS system.
(So that basically covers all the southern Marches route)
All bar Dorrington are 12 hour shift Boxes and seem to be open 24/7.

Don't know about North Wales, but you will be expected to have travelling time of no more than 60 minutes from your home to a Box.
Dorrington is 24/7 now

Dorrington is 24/7 now
And 12 hour shifts

LittleByName

Thank you for the Information! I live in Shrewsbury, so handy to know the ones round there. Would you be expected to work in multiple boxes or would you only have to work in the one box?

High Dyke

Established Member
Thank you for the Information! I live in Shrewsbury, so handy to know the ones round there. Would you be expected to work in multiple boxes or would you only have to work in the one box?
If you are a 'resident' signaller you would only work the location you are appointed to. As a relief signaller you would work multiple locations within that particular area, at the same grade or grade(s) below.

LittleByName

If you are a 'resident' signaller you would only work the location you are appointed to. As a relief signaller you would work multiple locations within that particular area, at the same grade or grade(s) below.
That’s handy to know thank you! Just trying to learn a bit in case they offer an interview, well I hope they do haha

The Puddock

Normally you start as a resident signaller and relief is a position lots of people want.
I think that depends where you are in the country. In an area I know well they just can't seem to fill relief jobs internally for love or money so they have to recruit externally for them. I also know of a big centre which had a longstanding gentleman's agreement between management and the LLC that resident jobs would exclusively be filled by internal promotion from within the centre, so to get a job there you had to go in as a relief for a while first before getting a resident post.

Last edited:

dave112

got my email to say I'd past my tests for tvsc Didcot ant one else applied for this?also my email says they are reviewing my application for the next hopefully I get through.

NXFlyer

Hi all, long time lurker here.

After applying back in April for a Lincolnshire role I got a phonecall today offering me a position - very exciting! They gave me a contract start date sometime in mid-December and IST start date is in February at Derby. Kind of curious what the process is between December and February if anyone knows, and anyone else on the Feb Derby IST course?

:)

Jet

Is there anyone else waiting for the outcome of their interview for grade 2 in the South East? Today is week 4 since I had my interview and still no news unfortunately. I have read a lot about how slow they can be but even so this does seem a tad extreme.
Hello, I’m still waiting….. interview on the 13th of September!

Canonite

Hi all, long time lurker here.

After applying back in April for a Lincolnshire role I got a phonecall today offering me a position - very exciting! They gave me a contract start date sometime in mid-December and IST start date is in February at Derby. Kind of curious what the process is between December and February if anyone knows, and anyone else on the Feb Derby IST course?

You’ll have Ian teaching you. You’ll be fine.
Hopefully they stopped putting delegates in the Penta Hotel…it’s grim.

Daniel Hassan

You
got my email to say I'd past my tests for tvsc Didcot ant one else applied for this?also my email says they are reviewing my application for the next hopefully I get through.

Passed my assessments a month ago for another signalling vacancy and still waiting to find out if i have an interview. Be prepared to wait a long time.

Open_G

Kind of curious what the process is between December and February if anyone knows, and anyone else on the Feb Derby IST course?

You’ll probably be given a bunch of local boxes to go and visit, maybe spend some time with a Mobile Operations Manager (MOM) seeing a bunch of the infrastructure.

Plus the first 2 weeks of IST now appears to be e-learning. But be prepared to sit waiting at home during some of this time too.

Dan160

Hi all, new poster here, thought I had posted previously but it does not look it. Starting my IST at James Forbes House 22nd of January. Anyone else here have the same start date?

NXFlyer

You’ll probably be given a bunch of local boxes to go and visit, maybe spend some time with a Mobile Operations Manager (MOM) seeing a bunch of the infrastructure.

Plus the first 2 weeks of IST now appears to be e-learning. But be prepared to sit waiting at home during some of this time too.
Thanks for the reply - exciting times ahead. Just the medical to get through now fingers crossed...

ChuckNorris

Hi All,

Medical booked in and confirmed for Nov.

Just out of interest what does the medical involve?

I’m slightly overweight so I’m concerned that my BMI will be too high and I’ll fail.

Can anyone give any insight?

Thanks in advance

Hello, I’m still waiting….. interview on the 13th of September!
Took me 7 weeks until i found out I had the job and that was for Canterbury. Fingers crossed for you mate

hpp2000

Just got my physcometric assesment link for Rugby, anyone else work at Rugby/have any hints for assesment please folks!

Hi All,

I’m slightly overweight so I’m concerned that my BMI will be too high and I’ll fail.

Thanks in advance

Took me 7 weeks until i found out I had the job and that was for Canterbury. Fingers crossed for you mate
Looking at the thread mate as long as you are generally fit and well you should be okay!

They are only overly concerned about insulin controlled diabetes, epilepsy, sleep apnea! Basically anything that could incapacitate you on the job!

chrislfc

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

I’ve just this minute come out of my medical!

Drug/alcohol test
Eye test
Hearing test
Height
Weight
Loads of questions about medical history
My BMI is just over 35 and I’m an ex smoker so required lung function test too.

Apparently my lungs far outperform my expected capability based on my weight. Joys of being fat but playing football 4 times a week!

Jordan4321

I’ve just this minute come out of my medical!

Drug/alcohol test
Eye test
Hearing test
Height
Weight
Loads of questions about medical history
My BMI is just over 35 and I’m an ex smoker so required lung function test too.

Apparently my lungs far outperform my expected capability based on my weight. Joys of being fat but playing football 4 times a week!
Hi mate, I done my medical yesterday and had to do the lungs test too and then she had to send those off to the doctors, did they tell you on the day of you passed the medical as when I went they didn’t say much about passing just that network rail should receive everything within a week

chrislfc

Hi mate, I done my medical yesterday and had to do the lungs test too and then she had to send those off to the doctors, did they tell you on the day of you passed the medical as when I went they didn’t say much about passing just that network rail should receive everything within a week
Nope, just said “you’re all done” and wen I asked what happens now just that the results will be sent to NR.

Told me drug/alcohol was clear, although she had to give me a copy of that anyway.

Showed me how far above the required standard my lung test was too, but didn’t specifically say I’d passed/failed.

hpp2000

Does anyone know what happens if you slip up one a question on the attention to detail assesment if that goes against you. Clicked the wrong button on my keyboard!

Jordan4321

Nope, just said “you’re all done” and wen I asked what happens now just that the results will be sent to NR.

Told me drug/alcohol was clear, although she had to give me a copy of that anyway.

Showed me how far above the required standard my lung test was too, but didn’t specifically say I’d passed/failed.
Cheers, Mine sounds mostly the same then except my lungs were worse than they should be but I still managed to get grade A, fingers crossed it doesn’t take too long to hear