• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Jenny

So IST seemingly not until 20th April, I guess I'll be head tea maker until then.
Have you started employment already? Will you be kept on the training wage between now and starting IST? Seems a long time if so

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buiadh

As a prospective trainee, one hired without a box to jump in to immediately, will I be on the trainee rate until a box becomes available or just until the end of my training?

ajs101

Have you started employment already? Will you be kept on the training wage between now and starting IST? Seems a long time if so
I start employment on 15th, I don't think the grade and the wage will change unless I get assigned or apply for a higher grade box/panel/workstation after successful completion of the training and after a bit of experience.

Jenny

I start employment on 15th, I don't think the grade and the wage will change unless I get assigned or apply for a higher grade box/panel/workstation after successful completion of the training and after a bit of experience.
Ohh, I see. Have you not been employed to join a specific box?
I only ask as I’m in a talent pool for G6 and will be on G2 money until completion of IST and the. Move up again after IST then on full money once passed out on my box

ajs101

Ohh, I see. Have you not been employed to join a specific box?
I only ask as I’m in a talent pool for G6 and will be on G2 money until completion of IST and the. Move up again after IST then on full money once passed out on my box
No not a specific box, I'm based at Ashford initially but I've been told I'll be assigned a box within an hours commute of my home address after IST. I'm assuming they have recruited a pool of trainees for my area.

ChuckNorris

Hi All,

Finally got a start date of the 15th of Jan. sadly I had some setback in my medical on 5th December due to high blood pressure. Finally all sorted and now fully signed off.

Anyone else from Kent starting on the 15th Jan?

I’m going to Canterbury/ Medway Valley area

tombuttrick01

hi all I have an interview in two weeks for for grade 2 trainee signaller, I was wondering what sort of questions I can expect to be asked and what i need to prepare any help is appreciated,

tombuttrick01

Hi all, I have an interview in the coming weeks for a Grade 2 trainee signaller. I was wondering what sort of questions I can expect to be asked and what I should prepare for beforehand. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Ducatist4

Hi all, I have an interview in the coming weeks for a Grade 2 trainee signaller. I was wondering what sort of questions I can expect to be asked and what I should prepare for beforehand. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
Reading this thread is the best advice I could give you.

Woody27

Hi mate, these questions have been asked many times, I would suggest you read the thread, it is a goldmine of information, and has probably got many applicants through a very tough process!!

Pblyth90

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked, I've got an interview for a Grade 2 trainee role in 2 weeks. After training and once qualified, will my salary be dependent on what box I would be assigned to? I've looked through this thread but there's a lot to read!
Thanks

Lpf93

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked, I've got an interview for a Grade 2 trainee role in 2 weeks. After training and once qualified, will my salary be dependent on what box I would be assigned to? I've looked through this thread but there's a lot to read!
Thanks
You’ll be paid g2 until passed competent at the new location. After that you’ll be paid whatever grade it is

chrislfc

Thanks
There’s a lot to read, but it’ll put you in the best possible position for your interview!

Buiadh

You’ll be paid g2 until passed competent at the new location. After that you’ll be paid whatever grade it is
If there's no box immediately available after training, would you still be on G2 rate until one does and you pass competent on it?

Kraken

If there's no box immediately available after training, would you still be on G2 rate until one does and you pass competent on it?
That’s how it would work on our line - stay on training pay until you’re passed out and ready to work a box on your own, then get the full grade of whatever that box was.

Lpf93

Correct. If you end up training in a ROC some of the LOMs based there may try and poach you anyway

deeneyweb

Thanks to all the many contributors to this forum. This is my first post but i have been reading it avidly since applying for a grade 6 signallers relief role in Arundel in October and found all the information to be a great help. So much of a help that I have been offered a grade 5 role in Littlehampton.

I'm dead chuffed to have been successful and put a lot of it down to all the great info that I have read on this forum.

Kraken

Thanks to all the many contributors to this forum. This is my first post but i have been reading it avidly since applying for a grade 6 signallers relief role in Arundel in October and found all the information to be a great help. So much of a help that I have been offered a grade 5 role in Littlehampton.

I'm dead chuffed to have been successful and put a lot of it down to all the great info that I have read on this forum.

Happy days, welcome aboard!

danchil

Anyone got any advice on internal interviews signaller to signaller? Not done one in a while. Are they still based on the 7 non technical skills?

No railway background in terms of interviewing, but my previous organisation looked at the individual, what have you done in your life? Look at the person spec and think about what you have done that you might be able to use as examples of what you have done that would show you can do those individual items. Not sure how hot equalities will be but again in my previous organisation there was always an equalities question. The better prepared you are the more chance you will be picked rather than someone else and at the end of the day it is a competition. Make sure you can delve deeper into anything you have claimed on your application form as I would be making sure you have done what you said you have, but again only my experience in my own industry.

Owens90

Got an email today saying I’ve been placed on a reserve list for a vacancy. Do people often get a phone call with an offer after being placed on this list?

rdh-eld

Got an email today saying I’ve been placed on a reserve list for a vacancy. Do people often get a phone call with an offer after being placed on this list?
Currently on one myself, from what I have heard most do, however if any future positions come up (even the same box/area) you need to apply again. Assessments don't need retaking if within 6 months but believe you need to re-interview?

Owens90

Currently on one myself, from what I have heard most do, however if any future positions come up (even the same box/area) you need to apply again. Assessments don't need retaking if within 6 months but believe you need to re-interview?
Thank you for this information ☺️

Jordan4321

I was placed on a reserve list then got called a few weeks later as someone pulled out, so it definitely does happen

CoachB

I was placed on a reserve list back in April/May and got a call the Start of December for a motivational fit interview (was basically a casual chat) and offered a job a few days later.

Currently going through the onboarding process with start date in April.

Don't give up hope it does happen

danchil

Might be some scenario based ones too but not 100% sure
Thanks for your help.

No railway background in terms of interviewing, but my previous organisation looked at the individual, what have you done in your life? Look at the person spec and think about what you have done that you might be able to use as examples of what you have done that would show you can do those individual items. Not sure how hot equalities will be but again in my previous organisation there was always an equalities question. The better prepared you are the more chance you will be picked rather than someone else and at the end of the day it is a competition. Make sure you can delve deeper into anything you have claimed on your application form as I would be making sure you have done what you said you have, but again only my experience in my own industry.
Thanks very much.