• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Clydefrog

Well that confuses things. I start signalling school on 9th April as well (for TBASC) but hadnt even considered Coventry as a possible location!
Ah right. I take it you have not been told by your Lom where yours will be then. Yes the placss are basingstoke york or coventry. I would say its likely given the exact date that you may be at coventry but whos knows.
Well done on getting TBASC

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
What people need to understand is it could be months and months until you hear anything after completing the online tests - I fully understand how stressful it is waiting with no information at all.

It took me about 35 applications over 6 years to get on the job, it will be a long process probably a year from app to appointment.

I would ask if we could try and move away from posts of “anyone heard back from XYZ location yet” it really means jack if joe blogs has or not, until you hear back from your application there really is nothing you can do.

Patience really really is a virtue both in the application process, and the actual job.

Talent pools and positions with 8 or 12 jobs are even worse wait wise, apply and forget about it until a email drops into your inbox with a process or termination email - that’s the best advice anyone can give, constant appeals for non exsistant information only causes unnecessary stress on the applicant, and thread boredom of people who can help with info on the actual job.

TRain87

What people need to understand is it could be months and months until you hear anything after completing the online tests - I fully understand how stressful it is waiting with no information at all.

It took me about 35 applications over 6 years to get on the job, it will be a long process probably a year from app to appointment.

I would ask if we could try and move away from posts of “anyone heard back from XYZ location yet” it really means jack if joe blogs has or not, until you hear back from your application there really is nothing you can do.

Patience really really is a virtue both in the application process, and the actual job.

Talent pools and positions with 8 or 12 jobs are even worse wait wise, apply and forget about it until a email drops into your inbox with a process or termination email - that’s the best advice anyone can give, constant appeals for non exsistant information only causes unnecessary stress on the applicant, and thread boredom of people who can help with info on the actual job.

What he said! Earlier on in the thread people upload screen shots of how long their process is and all of them are months, every signaller on here says the process is months... So asking after a week or 2,wont get you anywhere. If you're serious about becoming a signaller I'd read every page of this thread as I'm pretty sure 90% of questions would have already been answered.

I've just applied for an internal job, so I'm in the same boat as everyone else in the application process so can understand how people get so anxious and frustrated... But you learn to just wait

jdxn

+1 above.
It took 11 months from application online to me going to signalling school. I appreciate the excitement of a new career option, but you will almost never get through the process in less than 6 months.
Bear in mind as well just because some people are having an interview for job x on date x doesn't mean that that's the day/week/month that everyone is being interviewed. A candidate for Three Bridges may be a signaller in Aberdeen, so sorting out a date when they can be released takes time. So someone can be interviewed tomorrow and that doesn't mean you won't be next month.

The NR portal will always be updated with the latest, and even if you phone HR they will only look at the same records.

I think the intention of this thread is to provide information about the job, and the recruitment process so that information can be shared about locations, training etc. not the in depth detail of every IRC. As Tom says, the people with the knowledge and experience will desert the thread if its just people asking questions that no-one can answer and it will dilute the really useful resource of which the whole thread is fantastic.

I really recommend that anyone seriously wanting to be a signaller reads this whole thread from page 1.
I did when I applied and I felt prepared for the process and the understanding that it wouldn't be quick!

Sinistah

I would definitely recommend listening to this advice as I have learned so much from this thread. I'm not a signaller yet but it gives you a huge insight into their world. Also just visit a box. Really opens your eyes

SteveD

Hi all this is my first post.
Have to say I have been reading this thread from start to finish and have to say it’s been very insightful.

Alan77

Just got an invite for my first interview from an application I submitted mid December!

Clydefrog

+1 above.
It took 11 months from application online to me going to signalling school. I appreciate the excitement of a new career option, but you will almost never get through the process in less than 6 months.
Bear in mind as well just because some people are having an interview for job x on date x doesn't mean that that's the day/week/month that everyone is being interviewed. A candidate for Three Bridges may be a signaller in Aberdeen, so sorting out a date when they can be released takes time. So someone can be interviewed tomorrow and that doesn't mean you won't be next month.

The NR portal will always be updated with the latest, and even if you phone HR they will only look at the same records.

I think the intention of this thread is to provide information about the job, and the recruitment process so that information can be shared about locations, training etc. not the in depth detail of every IRC. As Tom says, the people with the knowledge and experience will desert the thread if its just people asking questions that no-one can answer and it will dilute the really useful resource of which the whole thread is fantastic.

I really recommend that anyone seriously wanting to be a signaller reads this whole thread from page 1.
I did when I applied and I felt prepared for the process and the understanding that it wouldn't be quick!

I would say that 6 months minimum is not the case. Mine was 3 months from external from first applying online to first day. so it wouldn't be fair to lead people on here to believe its minimum 6 months wait from external. It all depends on the Lom and how much they need the position filled as to how quickly they carry out the process.

But yes i agree with the rest of what you said.

choochoobacca

I've just noticed 6 x level crossing keeper jobs in the Cambridge area. I've quite a few signaller applications on the go for the same region, but am thinking of also applying for these. The salary is £27,705. I'm guessing the role is a level below signaller but was wondering if anybody can shed any light on it?
I guess it could potentially improve my chances of getting into the signalling world?
Would there be scope to increase that salary, with the sunday payments, rest day's worked etc that are open to signallers?
Many thanks for any information anyone can offer

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
There Grade 2 Crossing keeper positions, Grade 1 is usual.

Grade 2 Crossing keeper is a Panel/RoC Crossing Desk, you’ll monitor a number of crossings over a wide area.

Grade 2 is the lowest grade full fat Signaller grade.

Clydefrog

I've just noticed 6 x level crossing keeper jobs in the Cambridge area. I've quite a few signaller applications on the go for the same region, but am thinking of also applying for these. The salary is £27,705. I'm guessing the role is a level below signaller but was wondering if anybody can shed any light on it?
I guess it could potentially improve my chances of getting into the signalling world?
Would there be scope to increase that salary, with the sunday payments, rest day's worked etc that are open to signallers?
Many thanks for any information anyone can offer
Yes you can chuck 5k to 10k on that with sundays worked and rest days.
Getting in as a crossing keeper does really help towards becoming a signaller definatly. Go for it.

choochoobacca

There Grade 2 Crossing keeper positions, Grade 1 is usual.

Grade 2 Crossing keeper is a Panel/RoC Crossing Desk, you’ll monitor a number of crossings over a wide area.

Grade 2 is the lowest grade full fat Signaller grade.

Thanks Tom.

Getting in as a crossing keeper does really help towards becoming a signaller definatly. Go for it.

Thanks Clydefrog.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
At least four crossing keepers at my place have gone onto be Signallers, definitely a good way to progress.

BRblue

Anyone know how many positions for lancing? I’m guessing just one
It was for 2 X crossing keepers and 1 X signaller, I'm not sure about the current position though as they are currently in the process of being filled.
That said, as with everything on the railway... always subject to change.

linnet_ranger

Can someone explain the rest days scenario to me in a bit more detail please? I come from a Mon-Fri 9-5 background so I am trying to familiarise myself a bit more. Am I right in assuming that rest days are in place to help you/your body clock adapt from one shift pattern to another? E.g. going from 06:00-14:00 to 22:00-06:00 for instance, or do these form part of what us 9-5's would refer to as "Saturdays"? lol

I think the working alone is something that I could handle, though I acknowledge it is a huge transition that should not be underestimated. I suspect the largest challenge would be the shift patterns and thus would imagine that the rest days are a key part in helping to adjust. That said, I can understand for those "seasoned" signallers that have got used to the shift patterns, these extra days must be quite lucrative.

Thoughts anyone?

Sunset route

Established Member
Can someone explain the rest days scenario to me in a bit more detail please? I come from a Mon-Fri 9-5 background so I am trying to familiarise myself a bit more. Am I right in assuming that rest days are in place to help you/your body clock adapt from one shift pattern to another? E.g. going from 06:00-14:00 to 22:00-06:00 for instance, or do these form part of what us 9-5's would refer to as "Saturdays"? lol

I think the working alone is something that I could handle, though I acknowledge it is a huge transition that should not be underestimated. I suspect the largest challenge would be the shift patterns and thus would imagine that the rest days are a key part in helping to adjust. That said, I can understand for those "seasoned" signallers that have got used to the shift patterns, these extra days must be quite lucrative.

Thoughts anyone?

I think I’ll leave this to someone else as there probably as many rosters with various rest day patterns as there are signalling locations around the country. Having said that, some rest days will be needed for shift changes (changing down the roster not up, ie nights, to lates to earlies, as you can run earlies to lates to nights without needing a rest day to do it), while others are more free to use within the roster to balance the 35hr week out. There is no 9 to 5 Monday to Friday on the working railway, just working days and days off. Clear as mud lol

Highlandspring

Established Member
A “rest day” is simply the railway term for a booked day off (that isn’t a Sunday, or a lieu day or annual leave). You can indeed turn round between shifts on rest days or with a “guaranteed day”. As a signaller you’ll have a base roster which sets out which days off you have each week, which may be be non consecutive. Rest day working (also called working rest days depending where you are in the country) is simply agreeing to work overtime on a day you’d normally be rostered to be off duty. As mentioned above rosters can vary hugely by location and there are various mechanisms and priority orders to determine who should be offered overtime in the form of WRDs and Sundays first, second, third etc.. If you are appointed to a job then the very first thing you need to do is get a copy of your base roster and the second is to get hold of a copy of the National Rostering Principles.

SmokeAndJoe

Thoughts anyone?
Where I am it's seven nights starting Wednesday night, (includes the Sunday) rest day the next Wednesday (even though you finish at 6AM that morning), then seven lates, (doesn't include the Sunday) then rest day the next Thursday, then seven early turns (includes the Sunday) finishing on the Thursday.

This then gives you a bunch of rest days until your next cycle begins (on the Wednesday night). Every four cycles you get an extra long weekend where you don't start until the Thursday night, and you finish on the Wednesday rather than Thursday. This accounts for the 35hr working week over time.

Our Sundays are twelve hour days, whereas some places stick to eights on Sunday, some do twelve hours all weekend.

You can choose to be rest day not available if you wish.

I don't how how other eight hour shift patterns work but I'd imagine they're fairly similar. Twelve hour shift patterns look a lot more friendly IMO to the outsider, but they can be difficult depending on personal circumstances.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
My current location is 12hrs x 3 per week, however you can catch x4 12hrs with a booked Sunday.

Very good roster, although there are parts where you catch the change over between a rotation of nights finishing Sunday morning 0700, then starting three days starting Monday at 0700.

SmokeAndJoe

My current location is 12hrs x 3 per week, however you can catch x4 12hrs with a booked Sunday.

Very good roster, although there are parts where you catch the change over between a rotation of nights finishing Sunday morning 0700, then starting three days starting Monday at 0700.
The dream...

SmokeAndJoe

Rang HR and asked for feedback. Got none - really not helpful in that respect, but she did let slip that there had only been one vacancy. She said the job ad must have had a typo in it for suggesting four roles.
There were/are indeed four roles available as advertised.