• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sunset route

Established Member
With the Lewes panel moving up to TBROC next year I was wondering whether anyone knew/estimate the lead in time for new Signallers should they need them? Would they go straight from Signaller School to the new panel, which I doubt, or would they go out to learn the panel first for a month or two before then moving to TBROC?

You won’t go to Lewes, Newhaven Town or Newhaven Harbour signalboxes, as they come under a different hiring LOM to the ones who work at the ROC and the technology is different. They will have a enough problems finding jobs for the signallers who will be displaced and are will not be taking severance and won’t be migrating with the their work to TBROC to add any new intake to the list. Only once the displacement hearings have taken place will the management know what if any vacancies will be created for the new workstation, which will join the existing East Coastway workstation to form a new link.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRain87

Hi,
Regarding Basingstoke signalling school ?

Can Anyone on here shed light on best method of travel from the hotel to Basingstoke signalling school please . Google is showing car of course, but what other method is better than car.

Thank you
Walking takes about 15 minutes. It's very easy. 3 options are walk, drive or taxi

Cavan

Does a relief signaller get their allowance from day one or does it kick in when you pass out for all the boxes/work stations in your relief area?

High Dyke

Established Member
If your base roster shows spare turns then they must show an actual book on and book off time. They can make you report for duty at any time within those hours - booking on at home and leaving your phone on is a privilege rather than a right - but you can only be called to work the hours shown on the published final roster, so if you are shown spare 1200 to 0000 (as per most areas in Scotland) then they absolutely cannot phone you at say 2000 and tell you to come out for the nightshift. Similarly if you are shown 0600 to 1800 they can’t phone you midway through the turn and tell you to come in for a 1400 to 2200.
I quite agree. I've been having that same argument for many years... I was spare after an early turn once so called Control at 02:00 to book on duty, much to their confusion. The roster then tried to get me in for a late shift and weren't happy when i refused. LOM got a bit mardy over it, but understood my reasoning. Suffice to say they began to show a start time.

Whether the revised NRP will be any clearer when it finally sees the light of day is yet to be determined.
Does a relief signaller get their allowance from day one or does it kick in when you pass out for all the boxes/work stations in your relief area?
I may be wrong, but i always understood it was paid once you passed out two locations within your designated area.

chris2.0

Hi, does anyone know how soon Upminster IECC will be migrating to Romford, I just saw a grade 7 position on the internal list and I’m wondering if it’s worth applying for
Depends on what panels the job it for. Thames side panels are the only ones moving to Romford and that's not likely to be too soon either.

LAX54

Established Member
Depends on what panels the job it for. Thames side panels are the only ones moving to Romford and that's not likely to be too soon either.

Mind you, last I heard, there was now no room for anyone (Signallers) at Romford !

SmokeAndJoe

So we know what hotel we will be staying in yet? I had an email saying we would find out next week.
I am still undecided whether I will use the train or drive as it depends on parking etc.
You should be able to get parking at any of the hotels in York, saying that, not sure about the Park Inn. Call the hotel, they all know NR staff stay there for courses. You could be in hotel 53, Novotel (like me), park Inn, the hotel right on the station (forget what it's called) or something really far out (which I think is quite rare).

SmokeAndJoe

So we know what hotel we will be staying in yet? I had an email saying we would find out next week.
I am still undecided whether I will use the train or drive as it depends on parking etc.[/QUOTEa
I am still undecided whether I will use the train or drive as it depends on parking etc.
My apologies, thought you were on York for some reason!

The ROC at York doesn't really have parking for signalling trainees for anyone that needs this info in the future.
You should be able to get parking at any of the hotels in York, saying that, not sure about the Park Inn. Call the hotel, they all know NR staff stay there for courses. You could be in hotel 53, Novotel (like me), park Inn, the hotel right on the station (forget what it's called) or something really far out (which I think is quite rare).

My apologies, thought you were at York for some reason!

The ROC at York doesn't really have parking for signalling trainees for anyone that needs this info in the future

GingerRH

You will not be able to park at the ROC in Basingstoke for your course, so it’s a bit pointless driving as I’m pretty certain your LOM will not pay you petrol mileage as train travel is included in the price of the course for them.

John Marshall

Morning all,

Just signed up to here after reading all the post, wow!.

Well I have applied and done the sjt for gainsborough and the Doncaster Post, so by the looks of things it's a case of sitting and waiting now.

Goggy02

With the Lewes panel going up to TBROC next year, is there any news if Lancing SB is to be phased out in the near future? Thanks

Dannygee

With the Lewes panel going up to TBROC next year, is there any news if Lancing SB is to be phased out in the near future? Thanks
Define 'near future'?
Obviously it'll happen at some stage,but Lancing probably has a good few years in it yet...

Saracen_83

n so if you are shown spare 1200 to 0000 (as per most areas in Scotland) then they absolutely cannot phone you at say 2000 and tell you to come out for the nightshift. Similarly if you are shown 0600 to 1800 they can’t phone you midway through the turn and tell you to come in for a 1400 to 2200.

So based on this, if your book on/off time is 0600 - 1800, how would they call you in? You have to turn up to the box and sit there? Or call in at 0600 and ask if they need you??

Also can they phone you at say 1000hrs and ask you to come in until 1800hrs?? As within your booked hours?

Sunset route

Established Member
Define 'near future'?
Obviously it'll happen at some stage,but Lancing probably has a good few years in it yet...

There are no immediate plans for any of the signalboxes along the Coastway West. What remains of VASC panel 3 plus TBASC panel 1a are on a scheme work up ie a project given to some graduates to look at, how far that is progressing is anyone’s guess.

The rumour mill has the rest of VASC central panels ie panel 1, panel 2a and panel 2b on some sort serious think about migrating stage?

Then there will be the Selhurst/Croydon triangle resignalling and cilvils work which if goes ahead should see TBASC panels 1a (if not already gone), panel 1c and panel 1b migrate.

So as you can see most of Sussex route that’s not already planned to move is still a lot of ifs, buts and maybes.

Highlandspring

Established Member
So based on this, if your book on/off time is 0600 - 1800, how would they call you in? You have to turn up to the box and sit there? Or call in at 0600 and ask if they need you??
That depends on what local agreements are in place. In theory you are required go to your home station at the book on time as if you were working a normal shift there. Many areas allow signallers to book on by phone and require them to remain contactable for the duration. It’s very common for spare turns shown on the draft roster to become normal shifts on the final roster once people have spotted you’re available and they have lieu days burning a hole in their leave card.

Also can they phone you at say 1000hrs and ask you to come in until 1800hrs?? As within your booked hours?
Yes.

If you’re just coming into the grade then you need to get hold of a copy of the NRP, which can be downloaded from the member’s area of the RMT website, and any local agreements which your Area or Local council have made with HR. You should also try to get hold of a copy of the Conditions of Service but that is generally a much harder task...

Llanigraham

On Moderation
If the application is recent it will probably not have got to him, and is being dealt with by HR.
I would suggest it probably isn't a good idea.

Sinistah

I know this is subjective to say the least but, would you guys think it is easier to get a job as a signaller by being an internal candidate (from any role within company) or an external one. Basically what I am saying is would it be a good idea to look into other roles within Network rail with the intention of doing a year or so before moving to the signalling roles internally. I noticed when I first applied they took on a lot of signallers from internal roles such as Delay attributors etc.

Sinistah

As I am coming from a total different career path (Financial Services) my head is saying yes as I would pick up valuable railway experience along the way which would make me more marketable in the long run

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I know this is subjective to say the least but, would you guys think it is easier to get a job as a signaller by being an internal candidate (from any role within company) or an external one. Basically what I am saying is would it be a good idea to look into other roles within Network rail with the intention of doing a year or so before moving to the signalling roles internally. I noticed when I first applied they took on a lot of signallers from internal roles such as Delay attributors etc.

A role at works with signallers like crossing keepers yes, you'll gain loads of skills you can then use at the interview.

TDA is a job I would personally avoid like the plague, as a signaller you rapidly become worn down by having to explain why you've done something to TDA. You are often dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Some TDA will ask, allegedly listen then allocate the delay to you regardless. However some will actually understand and do all they can not to allocate the delay to you - you soon kearn who to help and who not to!

Anyway, we have PWay and crossing keepers at my location who have moved across.
There's nothing stopping you applying for any role you want at the same time as a signaller job - I'd suggest apply for as many openings as possible.

Highlandspring

Established Member
A few TDAs at our place have been successful in applying for signaller posts recently. Equally some have found that a perceived lack of operational experience has counted against them when they’ve applied for controller jobs. My advice would be to just apply directly for the role you’re interested in rather than trying to get it through a series of tenuous sideways moves, as you may end up stuck fast in a job you don’t want or enjoy with no way into the job you really do want. There’s no ‘line of promotion’ for signaller jobs as there often is with traincrew so there isn’t as much to be gained from being an internal candidate as you might expect if you’re coming from a non-signaller role. Think carefully before applying.

AWSpaul

The ROC at York doesn't really have parking for signalling trainees for anyone that needs this info in the future

Who told you that? Its a massive car park and always seems to have spaces, I know someone who was a trainee there and parked in there because his hotel at Novatel was a tenner a night and not included with his room and meals etc!!

You will not be able to park at the ROC in Basingstoke for your course, so it’s a bit pointless driving as I’m pretty certain your LOM will not pay you petrol mileage as train travel is included in the price of the course for them.

Unless they don't allow it now, they used to not all that long ago. You just have a word with the security guard and he lets you in. Contact your LOM about it, because I think you email in your car details and get it confirmed. The security will get to know you anyway, even if the initial Mondays of the week is a pain to get past the gates.

Its easy to get into a company when you're already in. Having a station job or job on the track would definitely help you over being external. Not least in the sense that you can see the internal job list. They'll also treat you better in the interview if your NR staff, (even if most are fair with you anyway). I was from off the street so know how hard it can be to get in, apply for everything, if you can, then its all about getting interviews. As I've said before on here, most will give up, depends how much you want it. But sure, defnitely having a job with the company will help IMO. And put it this way, once you do get in and onto a signaller course, if you have a room of say, 10 people, most will be Network Rail from other jobs or graduate scheme etc who've already done various bits and pieces with the company anyway. There's no doubt someone on here or who's a signaller who has a decent amount of off the street-ers in their group, but I'd imagine most peoples groups already have railway or company experience.