• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sunset route

Established Member
Must be one of the few locations that are fully manned !

I’m glad you said location and not roster, because of the two rosters (links) at my location, one is fully staffed and the only overtime they get is via a temporary cross cover agreement to cover the shortfall in the opposite roster, otherwise they would be on flat money plus rostered Sunday’s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I can’t figure out why we’re (as a grade) are so short staffed ?

Not just by the odd one or two, but sometimes double figures!

It’s not like it’s a crap job with crap money !

Suzuki04

Hi mate,

First of all congrats with getting an interview.

When I had my interview I had 8 competency questions, as well as a safety question, and a 2-3 questions about the role (why I’m suitable, what I think it’s about etc.)

In terms of your holiday, they do ask you if you have any holiday booked already and note this down on the form...

My advice, read this post as there is loads of information in it as well as using the search function and looking at other signaller threads.. all amazingly helpful!

I did, as have many others and It helped me massively and I start in a few weeks

Good luck!!!

Thanks very much! That helps a lot. I've read through the thread twice now with great interest. Also sorted out all my best examples so hoping I'm well equipped for my interview.

Hoping to be able to report back tomorrow to say it went well :smile:

CharliePots

Thanks very much! That helps a lot. I've read through the thread twice now with great interest. Also sorted out all my best examples so hoping I'm well equipped for my interview.

Hoping to be able to report back tomorrow to say it went well :smile:

Good luck with the interview tomorrow! If you don’t mind me asking, which box are you going for?

Cornisher

It’s safe to say at least 5-10 years before any move to Exeter is thought about, a few boxes in Cornwall are having additional kit installed to allow a enhanced service with the current locations.
Thanks, we're usually a bit behind down here so fingers crossed!

Cornisher

West Cornwall is moving to 12hr turns from January AIUI. Factor that into your calculations re: Par. Liskeard and Par have differing hiring managers.

Not sure what you mean re Benefits. Par is a nice box to work and has quite a bit of variety with the clay and LE moves plus the panel for Burngullow. There are some evil overlaps though.

That's good to know, thank you. Having read this thread in its entirety (thank you to everyone who has posted!) it would seem 12hr shifts are preferable.

Cornisher

If you're interested, continue the process. The hiring manager will be able to provide the most current resignalling estimates at the interview. If what you hear then isn't to your liking, you can always withdraw.

You may know that Network Rail works to five-year Control Periods. AFAIA there are no plans for the Cornish boxes to migrate to a ROC/sub-ROC during CP6 (2019-2024), hence my reference to "medium-to-long-term". Resignalling is off the agenda for at least five years, and probably longer.

To quote the final paragraph of the Rail Engineer article I mentioned above: "The (current upgrade) scheme is seen as an important ‘stepping stone’, enabling half-hourly services ahead of a larger resignalling scheme that will follow at some future date. The chances are semaphore signals will still be in use for a few more years yet."

The Western Route CP6 Strategic Business Plan Summary notes: "In CP6 we will continue our programme of renewals to maintain the sustainable condition and performance of the railway infrastructure including: • maintaining the safety and performance of the signalling system including significant life extensions to signalling systems in Cornwall... [snip]."

That's great information, many thanks! Yeah I am certainly very interested so will be hoping for positive news re. an interview in the coming days/ weeks!!

Glynh

Resignation handed in today for my current job....looking forward to starting at York on the 21st September.

Hi Ross, I’ll now be starting in York on the 24th Sept and just waiting for confirmation from HR. I assume this would be the same course as yourself?

To all, I’d just like to echo the sentiments of the many successful members and thank everyone who’s taken (and still takes) the time and effort to contribute/answer questions in this thread. The information shared has been invaluable and certainly helped me get through the process. Cheers!

Qball

Guys just wondering if you can point me to some good websites to practice the assessment test.

SignallerJohn

Guys just wondering if you can point me to some good websites to practice the assessment test.
The email that invites you to do the assessments has some mock tests on it I believe, they aren’t of the same caliber* but give you an indication of what to expect.

* I’ve spoken with some people that say they were harder than the actual assessments and some that said they are easier.

KEliza

Oh one other question. Are the interview questions purely competency based (Tell me about a time when..) or will there be one or two other questions, such as "why do you want this job"? Cheers

Yes one of the most difficult non technical skill questions was about being conciencious. This was the very first question on the nts section and it stumped me for a moment. They asked me about a time i had made a mistake and what I did to rectify it.

Other than that It was the nts questions, what will you bring to the job, etc.

And make sure you have researched the importance of safety. My interviewer said to me afterwards that it doesnt matter how great a candidate is - if they dont meet the bench mark with regards to understanding of safety they cant be given the job.

Good luck. Maybe if you get it you will be training at the same time as me!

Sunset route

Established Member
I can’t figure out why we’re (as a grade) are so short staffed ?

Not just by the odd one or two, but sometimes double figures!

It’s not like it’s a crap job with crap money !

At one stage a few years back we were running about 9 vacancies 3 or 4 long term sick and 9 off at any one time on annual leave on our roster for about 20 months, until they decided that us signallers were really becoming fatigued out (including the ones that loved overtime) and maybe it would be a good idea to advertise those vacancies. All of those went to existing signallers on promotion, but since then nearly all of our vacancies have gone to new recruits from outside the signalling grade or from outside the industry.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’d be happy with my basic hours to be honest with you, I personally feel obliged to help out the roster clerk with RDW etc their so under pressure to cover all the turns open it’s stupid. Problem is, as soon as they cover the turns they have people retire or move on.

Fore right

Resignation handed in today for my current job....looking forward to starting at York on the 21st September. Thank you to all those who have provided me with information and guidance on this chat. For those new to it you will find it invaluable to your ultimate success so make the most of those on here will to help. Thanks again.
Enjoy York Ross. Finished there end of July. Tough course for first 6 weeks. Get past week 6 exam and a lot of wk 7 to 11 ties in with what you’ve learnt early on and is mainly cementing the new stuff to the old. Don’t panic about going out for a beer. It would drive you nuts if you didn’t . You will learn that The ones who have lost their places in the past have been the ones who get absolutely smashed till 3am not the guys who go for a couple and a chat after they’ve done their revision to round off the evening. We would do that or a couple before tea if not on the sim. More so after wk6. It’s about finding a balance, sometimes id do a bit too much revision and it wouldn’t be sinking in. Go for a walk, run, have a pint just to clear the head and switch off , when I’d go back to it then it seemed to make sense.
Lots on here about whether to learn stuff before you go. Nothing to be gained by it rules wise as you wont get it apart from Learning the phonetic alphabet if you don’t know it already then that would be the only thing.
Have fun and enjoy york.

Gemz91

New to this thread, currently on holiday so don't really have time to read through 95 pages at the moment. Just wondering where the training school is for signallers? Only just started my application so got a long way to go till I get to that point though.

Cerebral

New to this thread, currently on holiday so don't really have time to read through 95 pages at the moment. Just wondering where the training school is for signallers? Only just started my application so got a long way to go till I get to that point though.

Training schools for signallers is currently at York, Westwood in Coventry and Basingstoke.

Gemz91

Training schools for signallers is currently at York, Westwood in Coventry and Basingstoke.

Cheers. One would assume, when it says residential, if you lived in the area it's not compulsory to be residential but you could just commute from home? Daft as the question sounds.

f1nch26

Hi all, another newbie to the thread! I had my interview for a grade 2 position on Wednesday, I think it went pretty well....I was just wondering roughly how long it is before they let you know of the outcome? I'm scared to check my emails in case there's an email with bad news! I've got everything crossed hopefully that i've done enough!

Cerebral

Cheers. One would assume, when it says residential, if you lived in the area it's not compulsory to be residential but you could just commute from home? Daft as the question sounds.

You could be put anywhere, it does not seems to matter where you live. You will be put where there are places on the course, not the geographical area you live in. You could live in London but still be put on a course in York (not Basingstoke for example).

I ended up in Westwood in Coventry, I live 40 minutes drive away (without traffic) but I still stayed in the hotel nearby from Monday-Thursday. You are not forced to stay in the hotel if you live within a commutable distance (if you have children for example), but if you can I would advise you do as it really helps with bonding with the group and group revision on an evening/sim practice.

Hi all, another newbie to the thread! I had my interview for a grade 2 position on Wednesday, I think it went pretty well....I was just wondering roughly how long it is before they let you know of the outcome? I'm scared to check my emails in case there's an email with bad news! I've got everything crossed hopefully that i've done enough!

It can totally vary from a phone call the next day directly from the LOM to a generic email from Network Rail weeks later, whether successful or not. I had all of these, lol.

choochoobacca

Hi f1nch26,

I’m afraid it’s a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question. I’ve been told ‘you’ll definitely hear from us next week’ only to wait a month for an ‘unsuccessful’ email to arrive, with zero follow up feedback following a request for it... I also had to wait close to 3 months for a ‘not this time’ email once, following what I thought was a good interview. Sometimes interviews for other candidates end up getting rescheduled and you are non the wiser. Don’t necessarily think a lack of news early doors is bad news. For instance, one position I went for I was interviewed a full few weeks before the next guy!

Gemz91

You could be put anywhere, it does not seems to matter where you live. You will be put where there are places on the course, not the geographical area you live in. You could live in London but still be put on a course in York (not Basingstoke for example).

Cheers for that. Not sure why I just assumed you'd be placed at the training school closest to the box you'd be working at. Quite fancy the idea of a few weeks in Basingstoke anyway....

Saracen_83

Cheers for that. Not sure why I just assumed you'd be placed at the training school closest to the box you'd be working at. Quite fancy the idea of a few weeks in Basingstoke anyway....

I’m afraid your put where there is space!

I start York in 2 weeks however I live just outside Essex and will be working in three bridges! You go where your put! Would’ve loved Basingstoke as could commute, but I want the job more!

Good luck!

Gemz91

I start York in 2 weeks however I live just outside Essex and will be working in three bridges! You go where your put! Would’ve loved Basingstoke as could commute, but I want the job more!

Good luck!

Cheers for the information. Got to admit I had to Google where Basingstoke was! All the best starting your course, long way for me to even go yet before I get accepted. The commute on a Friday night and Sunday night/Monday morning will be a killer for you, but guess you've got to do what you got to do to get the job.

Saracen_83

Not too bad, about 3 hours train or drive, I considered driving, but think I will most likely got. Y train. It a) more relaxing but b) also means I can do a little bit of revision as well as watch a few episodes of a box set of my choice lol!!!

Good luck, I started applying in Oct 17, and after about 20-30 applications finally got the role... over the moon. Just keep trying and applying.

And as I’ve posted above, this thread as well as the people on here are massively informative. Ready everything ask any questions you need, and you will be grand!

Good luck!!

Well if helps, from application submitted to interview was 2 months,

from interview to finding out I was successful (offer) - 6 weeks,

From offer to starting dig school (2 months)

And this is from why I gather.... quick. So be prepared to wait... then wait some more. It will all be worth it in the end!!!

f1nch26

Definitely prepared to wait. I’m guessing it shouldn’t be any more than a few weeks, they said that the training course would start mid November, and I presume most people need to give 4 weeks notice etc. Fingers crossed, cheers everyone!

Sunset route

Established Member

Good luck!

Hello and well done.

Is that Three Bridges ASC or Three Bridges ROC you are just about to start at?

Saracen_83

Thank you!!! Very chuffed and very excited to be starting as a signaller!!!

I’m starting at The roc!!! You based at the asc or the roc???