• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

TRain87

OMG I have just done the 3 online tests, I do not like those SHL tests and have done that kind at work before, many have said in the past they don't feel confident on the results and I am one of them, let's wait and see what happens.

Sorry - just read the messages! I'm sure you done OK. Not sure if it's where trainee drivers go but we have a lot of drivers in there. Basingstoke campus. Home now for weekend then back Monday

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

be96erj

Just a quick one!

I've been to 2 interviews now for a signaller and on both occasions, the interviewer doesn't seem convinced by my "communications" answer. They probed me both times. On the first occasion, I was told I did everything right apart from that one question about comms.

Does anyone actually know what points the interviewers are looking for?

many thanks

Lasbrisas

Just a quick one!

I've been to 2 interviews now for a signaller and on both occasions, the interviewer doesn't seem convinced by my "communications" answer. They probed me both times. On the first occasion, I was told I did everything right apart from that one question about comms.

many thanks

Can you give us an idea of what the question was and your answer.

eriks

Just a quick one!

many thanks
Think about what the railway needs. Safety critical comms. Communications should be ABC, Accurate, Brief & Clear. Do you understand why the phonetic alphabet is used and numbers pronounced 'one eight' rather than 'eighteen'? Why is information read back and checked? Much of the communications you will have with others will be by phone - are you sure who you are talking to and where they are? ILS Identification, Location, Situation. Who they are, where they are and what is required? If someone comes on the phone from a level crossing saying 'stop the trains' you will need to calmly get this information in order to make the correct decisions because stopping the whole railway isn't really an option!

Think about the rest of the interview... Did your answers meet the ABC criteria, or did you woffle a bit, or end up saying something that was interesting but didn't actually answer the question asked? Generally if they are having to probe you on the question asked, it's because they thought you original response didn't meet their standard.

Good luck

SmokeAndJoe

Not trying to be rude, but this stuff shouldn't really be discussed in a forum. It will make a mockery of the process if q and a's are posted here so people can slip past the interview process easier, when it's possible they shouldn't be getting through.

If they have indeed probed you, then remember what they said, and those are probably the things you need to work on...

The only thing really that should be shared it the eight points you need to revise.

railton

Hi everyone!
I've been keeping a close eye on this thread for hints & tips regarding a recent signaller application I've made.

I was really pleased to pass the initial application stage which has lead to an invite to
take the 3 online SHL tests for numerical ability, verbal ability and complete instrument.

I have never had too many problems with these type of tests before and felt confident in my ability until I had a go at some of the practice tests on the SHL site (verbal & numerical).

The main issue seems to be the time I'm taking to answer the questions. Does anybody know roughly what percentage of the questions would need to be answered in order to pass?
Strangely, I passed all of the individual example questions with no problems but the full length practice tests seem a lot tougher? The results with these are harder to understand too as they don't show which of your answers are incorrect.

I have been given 5 days to take these tests but due to my current shift work commitments I only have 2 of those 5 days left, so I might just have to bite the bullet and hope the real tests are a little less tricky...

Any advice or tips would really be appreciated.

Many thanks

Spectroscopic

Hi everyone!
I've been keeping a close eye on this thread for hints & tips regarding a recent signaller application I've made.

I was really pleased to pass the initial application stage which has lead to an invite to
take the 3 online SHL tests for numerical ability, verbal ability and complete instrument.

I have never had too many problems with these type of tests before and felt confident in my ability until I had a go at some of the practice tests on the SHL site (verbal & numerical).

The main issue seems to be the time I'm taking to answer the questions. Does anybody know roughly what percentage of the questions would need to be answered in order to pass?
Strangely, I passed all of the individual example questions with no problems but the full length practice tests seem a lot tougher? The results with these are harder to understand too as they don't show which of your answers are incorrect.

I have been given 5 days to take these tests but due to my current shift work commitments I only have 2 of those 5 days left, so I might just have to bite the bullet and hope the real tests are a little less tricky...

Any advice or tips would really be appreciated.

Many thanks

I was in your position about 4 weeks ago.

The actual NR tests were a lot easier than the SHL example tests. I don't think the pass threshold is set too high, because I passed and I properly f***** up the verbal reasoning.

railton

I was in your position about 4 weeks ago.

The actual NR tests were a lot easier than the SHL example tests. I don't think the pass threshold is set too high, because I passed and I properly f***** up the verbal reasoning.

Phew, This has made me feel a lot better...
The example tests are very tricky. Especially the verbal reasoning ones. Congratulations on passing!

What are the 'complete instrument' questions like. If they are similar to the mechanical comprehension type tests it shouldn't be a problem...

SmokeAndJoe

Just want to say a big thanks to all contributors to this post and anyone who has offered advice, been offered a Signaller role and gleefully accepted.

Next stage of waiting starts now!

Charl1e2

Just want to say a big thanks to all contributors to this post and anyone who has offered advice, been offered a Signaller role and gleefully accepted.

Well done! Which box are you in? I'm waiting on the medical.

Donachie

Well Done, you must be well pleased.

Hope you hear a start date soon.

Donachie.

railton

This thread has been really helpful. Thanks to all the contributors and congratulations those that are passing the various stages of the process.

How long typically are people having to wait following notification of passing the online assessments?

This is the stage I am at currently, but I am aware this doesn't guarantee I'll go any further.

Nervously checking my account daily in the hope of a positive update can't be good for my health ????????????

OneTrackMind

This thread has been really helpful. Thanks to all the contributors and congratulations those that are passing the various stages of the process.

How long typically are people having to wait following notification of passing the online assessments?

This is the stage I am at currently, but I am aware this doesn't guarantee I'll go any further.

Nervously checking my account daily in the hope of a positive update can't be good for my health ����

Mine has been two months so far ... still showing 'Test Completed' ... it's a drag.

SmokeAndJoe

Well done! Which box are you in? I'm waiting on the medical.

Waiting on medical too, do you have their number? I want to change the date I've booked in for an earlier one and haven't received their email...

The box is currently a point of contention! I have had some hilarious days during this process.

KneeOn

A belated congratulations! Thank you for all your input - hopefully​ I'll be sharing the same sort of post with you all!

As an update: i sat my interview about three weeks ago, I've heard nothing back yet.

Still waiting for my other applications to land on the hiring managers desk. I'm a bit anxious as one of the vacancies would be perfect and i don't want to hedge my bets if i get the first FTC one. I'd like to have the chance to weigh up my options but such is life!

Good luck to everyone applying.

SmokeAndJoe

A belated congratulations! Thank you for all your input - hopefully​ I'll be sharing the same sort of post with you all!

As an update: i sat my interview about three weeks ago, I've heard nothing back yet.

Still waiting for my other applications to land on the hiring managers desk. I'm a bit anxious as one of the vacancies would be perfect and i don't want to hedge my bets if i get the first FTC one. I'd like to have the chance to weigh up my options but such is life!

Good luck to everyone applying.

Thank you. I sat the same interview, I was the first candidate. Haven't heard back either, didn't want to jinx it!

Good luck :)

They must be super busy, but where I'm going I'll get excellent experience, and the management seem like a really great bunch.

Last edited:

SmokeAndJoe

Nervously checking my account daily in the hope of a positive update can't be good for my health ����

Anything from a week to 6 weeks. And it's not!

Last edited:

Muz333

For what it's worth I had my interview at the beginning of January and my start date isn't until May 1st, the whole process takes a long time so just bare through it and know that these long waits are the norm.

Wanderer84

Hey guys (and gals),

A new guy here, read all this thread with interest (and pen and paper), thanks for putting up all the info. I do have one question, however:

I'm aware that we can request a visit to a local box, but I've applied for a grade 6 position at Basingstoke ROC. I haven't found any information regarding visits to here, I know that it will be a VERY busy site, so how do I request a visit?

Redder

Has anyone progressed yet from the "Test Completed/Passed" stage yet for the Three Bridges ROC vacancies, I have been at this stage since 16th March?!

SmokeAndJoe

Hey guys (and gals),

A new guy here, read all this thread with interest (and pen and paper), thanks for putting up all the info. I do have one question, however:

I'm aware that we can request a visit to a local box, but I've applied for a grade 6 position at Basingstoke ROC. I haven't found any information regarding visits to here, I know that it will be a VERY busy site, so how do I request a visit?
There's a lot of info about visiting in this and other posts. Basically, don't without permission. You wouldn't get into a roc anyway without an appointment, call HR and see what they can do.

Last edited:

nom de guerre

Not sure it will necessarily be busy - have any workstations gone live there yet? Even if it is, there should still be no problem arranging a visit.

Contact HR and/or the LOM.

Herohunter

For what it's worth I had my interview at the beginning of January and my start date isn't until May 1st, the whole process takes a long time so just bare through it and know that these long waits are the norm.

The very same for me, not that long compared to some.
by the time we are actually on the job though it will be almost an entire year since the whole recruitment process began.

Lasbrisas

Has anyone progressed yet from the "Test Completed/Passed" stage yet for the Three Bridges ROC vacancies, I have been at this stage since 16th March?!

Mine has just moved to "Application Under Consideration" for all 3 that I have applied for, anyone shed some light on what this means in real terms. I'm hoping they are considering me for an interview.

techybit

In case anyone was wondering there can be quite a delay in when you first apply to when you get near training/starting.

In my own case, from applying (October) to interview (January) to training (April).

Just be patient and if you're right for it, you'll get there.

SmokeAndJoe

Mine has just moved to "Application Under Consideration" for all 3 that I have applied for, anyone shed some light on what this means in real terms. I'm hoping they are considering me for an interview.

After that there's - test completed, application under consideration (again) application under consideration for assessment 2, invite to assessment 2 pending, assessment 2 scheduled, then a number of options follow that.

You may also see, application unsuccessful, application rejected, unsuccessful.

If you see anything else, let us know!

Wanderer84

I've just checked my application, for Basingstoke, and it's switched from 'test passed' to 'under consideration'. Here's hoping for good news!:)

Lasbrisas

I've just checked my application, for Basingstoke, and it's switched from 'test passed' to 'under consideration'. Here's hoping for good news!:)

Mine's the same as yours, from other posts it seems like we could be waiting a while longer yet.