• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Lasbrisas

After that there's - test completed, application under consideration (again) application under consideration for assessment 2, invite to assessment 2 pending, assessment 2 scheduled, then a number of options follow that.

You may also see, application unsuccessful, application rejected, unsuccessful.

If you see anything else, let us know!

Thanks for that, so I'm guessing assessment 2 is an interview, I'm at the second under consideration stage atm.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Not sure it will necessarily be busy - have any workstations gone live there yet? Even if it is, there should still be no problem arranging a visit.

Contact HR and/or the LOM.

No desks live yet at Basingstoke ROC (nor are there likely to be for some time); nor are there any grade 6 jobs in the vicinity (except for Salisbury but A - the advert would simply say Salisbury and B - it's unlikely that Salisbury would go external). It could well be a Grade 5 job at Basingstoke ASC

Spectroscopic

Does invite to assessment 2 pending mean I will definitely get an invitation?

Pending what...

Anyone in the know?

Thanks

Charl1e2

Does invite to assessment 2 pending mean I will definitely get an invitation?

Pending what...

Anyone in the know?

Thanks

It should mean you get an email with a suggested interview date. It's "pending" your agreement to the date (once they send it)

Once you've agreed a date it should change to "assessment 2 scheduled".

In my experience anyway!

Spectroscopic

It should mean you get an email with a suggested interview date. It's "pending" your agreement to the date (once they send it)

Once you've agreed a date it should change to "assessment 2 scheduled".

In my experience anyway!

Nice one, thanks.

No email as of yet, just notice that status had changed when I logged into the portal...

Charl1e2

Nice one, thanks.

No email as of yet, just notice that status had changed when I logged into the portal...

Looking back, my status changed at 10:20am on the 10th and the email came at 11:28 on the 11th. So 24 hours.

With it being a bank holiday I imagine it won't come for you until Tuesday which is a bit frustrating.

nom de guerre

No desks live yet at Basingstoke ROC (nor are there likely to be for some time); nor are there any grade 6 jobs in the vicinity (except for Salisbury but A - the advert would simply say Salisbury and B - it's unlikely that Salisbury would go external). It could well be a Grade 5 job at Basingstoke ASC

Thanks. Thought that was the case re BROC but I'm a bit out of the Wessex loop these days. Is Feltham still going in first?

Last edited:

Spectroscopic

Do signalling jobs only go external if there are no internal applicants? Or if there are not enough internal applicants to make a suitable pool?

I guess what I want to know is are internal applicants always favoured over external. I assume the answer is yes but.....

nom de guerre

In theory, internals should always take precedence but I've certainly noticed some positions being simultaneously advertised internally and externally.

Presumably the externals are an insurance policy in the event of insufficient internal interest ...?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
In theory, internals should always take precedence but I've certainly noticed some positions being simultaneously advertised internally and externally.

Presumably the externals are an insurance policy in the event of insufficient internal interest ...?

As I understand it, if sufficient internal interest isn't forthcoming the job is then advertised to externals before the internal closing date (I'm not sure of the exact cut off date but I believe it's a week). If there is then a large rush of internal candidates, the external candidates are still considered on an equal footing (at least, that's how it works down my way)

Last edited:

Spectroscopic

If I have had an application listed as ''invite to assessment 2 pending'' for over a week now and I haven't heard anything do you think there is a problem? Is that perfectly normal...

TIA

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Thanks. Thought that was the case re BROC but I'm a bit out of the Wessex loop these days. Is Feltham still going in first?

Yup - the state of play as I understand it is the Strawberry Hill panel being first to go in in circa 2021; with phased migration thereafter. Although as I understand it putting the new desks in the Feltham ASC building itself (with attendant new wiring and so forth installed) hasn't been ruled out.
Some debate as to what goes in after Feltham/Wokingham

Hull D

If I have had an application listed as ''invite to assessment 2 pending'' for over a week now and I haven't heard anything do you think there is a problem? Is that perfectly normal...

TIA

Yep, that seems normal, the process is very slow...... you will hopefully hear something this week.........

Charl1e2

TIA

I would guess that they are waiting for availability from someone on the interview panel.

Spectroscopic

Just got an invite to assessment 2 for a grade 4 signalling role.

Has anyone been through the process recently? Any advice on what to expect?

There are lots of signaller interview threads on here but most of them seem to be 2+ years old...

Thanks

Muz333

Is there anyone here starting Signalling school in York this Monday (8/5/2017)? I've just spent a couple of days observing in the box for a few hours to get an idea of what it's like, so far it seems really interesting and looks like a great career.

nom de guerre

Yup - the state of play as I understand it is the Strawberry Hill panel being first to go in in circa 2021; with phased migration thereafter. Although as I understand it putting the new desks in the Feltham ASC building itself (with attendant new wiring and so forth installed) hasn't been ruled out.
Some debate as to what goes in after Feltham/Wokingham

(Belated) thanks for this, godfrey

techybit

Is there anyone here starting Signalling school in York this Monday (8/5/2017)? I've just spent a couple of days observing in the box for a few hours to get an idea of what it's like, so far it seems really interesting and looks like a great career.
Hi I'm off to Signalling School on 8th May but it is in Coventry instead. I've spent about 5 days observing so far and enjoyed my time.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
(Belated) thanks for this, godfrey ??????

I suppose Feltham *might* qualify as a sub-ROC (if the concept hasn't already been abandoned?)

No worries
It might well do - sub-ROCs are alive and well; however basically every NR building in the south-east has been or is being considered. At this rate it'll be in the station building at Marchwood! Feltham is one of the more seriously considered ones though; as I understand it.

railton

Just got an invite to assessment 2 for a grade 4 signalling role.

Has anyone been through the process recently? Any advice on what to expect?

There are lots of signaller interview threads on here but most of them seem to be 2+ years old...

Thanks

Congratulations. Sounds like you're almost there!

My application status is still showing as: Application under consideration for assessment 2 (and has been for a few weeks). Hoping it will change to Invitation pending.

Not sure how normal it is to wait for so long but I guess for as long as the status doesn't change I'm still in the game.

Please let us know how it was once you've been

Spectroscopic

Signalling vacancies with network rail are like buses....

I have waited 5 months to hear back and all of a sudden I have been offered four interviews in two weeks.

Perseverance seems to be the key. Keep the faith if you are waiting!

railton

Can somebody please clarify how the recruitment process works please.

I have passed the application and pre-screening question stage. I've also passed the online situational judgement tests and now have an interview date which I'm really pleased about. However, the job description stated that there was also an assesment centre stage, followed by an interview?

Is the assessment/interview the same thing or will I need to attend a separate assessment centre if successful at the interview stage?

Supernaut

Did anyone else apply to one of the recent talent pools that NR were advertising for at locations up and the country? For current and future opportunities.

Just wondered if there had been any news for those since passing the SJT and other the 2 online tests.

I've been sat at 'application under consideration' for about 6/7 weeks now. Cheers

Validation

Network Rail rely heavily on the 8 non-technical skills in their interviews. Have a google of what they are and think of examples in your life for each of them. That will help you no end when it comes to having well prepared answers for the questions they will ask.

Be yourself, put character into your answers, come across as a good communicator and show willing for the job :)

SmokeAndJoe

Can somebody please clarify how the recruitment process works please.

I have passed the application and pre-screening question stage. I've also passed the online situational judgement tests and now have an interview date which I'm really pleased about. However, the job description stated that there was also an assesment centre stage, followed by an interview?

Is the assessment/interview the same thing or will I need to attend a separate assessment centre if successful at the interview stage?
Have a look at my thread. Probably a few pages back in careers by now.

KneeOn

A little update: I have an interview Wednesday for the Three Bridges ROC, London Bridge still haven't gotten back to me yet.

If anyone has any further information on what did or did not work for them it would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk