• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hello all,

I have seen a G4 job at Cardiff advertised, what is this likely to be? If anyone knows.

Also what is a G4 actually likely to earn? My current role is 36basic no extras for Sunday's, up to 40ish with an average of 2 RDWs a month. So wouldn't want to be taking a permanent pay cut.

Thanks

There is a table a few pages back in this thread with the grades and their salaries :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

contrad!ction

Hello all,

I have seen a G4 job at Cardiff advertised, what is this likely to be? If anyone knows.

Also what is a G4 actually likely to earn? My current role is 36basic no extras for Sunday's, up to 40ish with an average of 2 RDWs a month. So wouldn't want to be taking a permanent pay cut.

Thanks

From memory, and I could be wrong, I think this covers the Shrewsbury to Crewe workstation at the SWCC (unless any more have gone in).

(Photos here: http://photos.signalling.org/index?/category/467-shrewsbury_north_workstation)

Earnings wise it depends on how many rest days/Sundays you do but some of the guys around here do £40k+ on a grade 3 so it’s certainly possible even at the lower grades. There’s also the quite high possibility of stepping up to the grade 6/7(?) links at SWCC that would probably only be advertised internally - I’ve definitely seen a few vacancies go up on the list over the past year or so.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
There is a table a few pages back in this thread with the grades and their salaries :)

Do you know how far back? Followed this thread for a year or so and not seen that! Salary is advertised - it was more Sunday premium and realistic RDW earnings I was after.

From memory, and I could be wrong, I think this covers the Shrewsbury to Crewe workstation at the SWCC (unless any more have gone in).

(Photos here: http://photos.signalling.org/index?/category/467-shrewsbury_north_workstation)

Earnings wise it depends on how many rest days/Sundays you do but some of the guys around here do £40k+ on a grade 3 so it’s certainly possible even at the lower grades. There’s also the quite high possibility of stepping up to the grade 6/7(?) links at SWCC that would probably only be advertised internally - I’ve definitely seen a few vacancies go up on the list over the past year or so.

Cheers, just what I was after. Is it 8s or 12s? What does a roster pattern look like?

Thanks

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
North Wales Coast workstations.

£31,600 pa basic, add circa £10,000 for booked Sunday and Nights.

Plus any additional Sunday and RDW you wish to undertake.

The workstation is due live towards the end of March 18, it’s going to be extremely tight, if not impossible for a external candidate to be appointed, successfully complete Signalling school and them pass out as a competent Signaller.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
SWCC have a Grade 2 Level Crossing Desk, three grade 4 desks (Shrewsbury North, VOG and NWC) the rest is Grade 6 “Newport link”, Grade 7 Cardiff & Valleys desks with a Grade 7 Relief link.

You certainly won’t see anything over Grade 4 (this is rare externally) at SWCC advertised externally.

Rosters are 8s or 12hrs, or plain 12hrs depending on links.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Signaller Pay Grades 2017:

Grade 1 £24,165
Grade 2 £27,665
Grade 3 £29,999
Grade 4 £31,664
Grade 5 £34,999
Grade 6 £37,081
Grade 7 £39,997
Grade 8 £42,497
Grade 9 £44,166
Grade 10 £46,387

Signaller Pay Grades 2018:

Grade 1 £24,889
Grade 2 £28,494
Grade 3 £30,898
Grade 4 £32,614
Grade 5 £36,048
Grade 6 £38,193
Grade 7 £41,196
Grade 8 £43,771
Grade 9 £45,490
Grade 10 £47,778

nr_signaller

Signaller Pay Grades 2017:

Grade 1 £24,165
Grade 2 £27,665
Grade 3 £29,999
Grade 4 £31,664
Grade 5 £34,999
Grade 6 £37,081
Grade 7 £39,997
Grade 8 £42,497
Grade 9 £44,166
Grade 10 £46,387

Signaller Pay Grades 2018:

Grade 1 £24,889
Grade 2 £28,494
Grade 3 £30,898
Grade 4 £32,614
Grade 5 £36,048
Grade 6 £38,193
Grade 7 £41,196
Grade 8 £43,771
Grade 9 £45,490
Grade 10 £47,778

2018 pay is nonsense at the moment as the 2018 pay rise is based on RPI November 2017 which has not even been published by the office of national statistics yet!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
2018 pay is nonsense at the moment as the 2018 pay rise is based on RPI November 2017 which has not even been published by the office of national statistics yet!

I believe the RPI is expected to be about 3%, wasn't the deal RPI nothing else ?
I've just estimated 3% on top of the 2017 rates as a rough idea.

john.ump

Most if not all are 12hrs I believe, I'm not 100% though.

All currently 12hrs.

Could be very difficult to get new entrants passed out for those workstations to go live by March. Perhaps if they do a West Cad course it's just about possible....

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
All currently 12hrs.

Could be very difficult to get new entrants passed out for those workstations to go live by March. Perhaps if they do a West Cad course it's just about possible....

Say the new entrants get job offers in Jan, the advert doesnt close until 07/12, earliest start for signalling school would be Feb, the three months school your talking May, then actual pass out you won't get anyone productive until July at the very earliest I don't think.

There's quite a bit of interest for exiled Signallers from across the border I'm told.

Say the new entrants get job offers in Jan, the advert doesnt close until 07/12, earliest start for signalling school would be Feb, the three months school your talking May, then actual pass out you won't get anyone productive until July at the very earliest I don't think.
I was just notified today that I’ll be starting at signalling school Feb 26th(York) as its the earliest course they can get me on. just sayin’.

john.ump

There's quite a bit of interest for exiled Signallers from across the border I'm told.

I agree, very tight timescale indeed. I would be surprised if they didn't choose internal candidates.

Sunset route

Established Member

I know it’s not quite the same, but anything is possible. Our new roster stats at the beginning of January and out of 38 positions 1 very long term sick, 1 on secondment, 14 vacancies of which only 11 have been filled and all by recruits new to signalling. They don’t go off to signalling school until late February so we are not going to have any new productive staff until at least July or August. If the company all wants new staff it will go for all new staff over any promotion or sideways moves, depending on what local hidden agenda each area has.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Do you get Sunday and night enhancement when you're training? I would assume not in Siggy school but when you're on the desk learning?

What sort of RD pattern do they work on 12s at Cardiff?
Thanks

Southernsig

Do you get Sunday and night enhancement when you're training? I would assume not in Siggy school but when you're on the desk learning?

What sort of RD pattern do they work on 12s at Cardiff?
Thanks
Ypu wont work.sundays or nights when training, it will typically be mon to fri paid at one grade lower than the actual grade for the box/worstation.

Sunset route

Established Member
Ypu wont work.sundays or nights when training, it will typically be mon to fri paid at one grade lower than the actual grade for the box/worstation.

Some locations have full shiftwork including nights and weekends when training, which will include any enhancements due.

tiptoptaff

Established Member

Some locations have full shiftwork including nights and weekends when training, which will include any enhancements due.

Thanks, so it's a guessing game then. Something to ask at interview I suppose

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Probably depends on your chosen location and what agreements have been negotiated in place by the local reps.

Thanks - I'd hope that I'd get shifts during training as it would mean only a pay cut during Siggy school. Not sure I could take the hit for a whole year

Sunset route

Established Member
Thanks - I'd hope that I'd get shifts during training as it would mean only a pay cut during Siggy school. Not sure I could take the hit for a whole year

Yet again that also depends on where you work, as all our new recruits will be on full pay as soon as they pass out on their first panel and join the main roster from the training roster, about 3 months at signalling school and probably 3 months to pass out on their 1st panel, depending on how well they pick up on the practical aspects of the job.

Norm88

What generally happens on bank holidays, such as Christmas Day? A career I’m interested in as it seems the work-life balance is good and that’s important for me and my family, but wondered what happens especially at Christmas

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

For Cardiff Grade 4, you’d be on Grade 3 money from day 1 until you pass out, so say you got a job Feb 01, three months in signalling school, three months learning new the desk it would be Grade 3 money with no extras until July’ish ?

Sunset route

Established Member
What generally happens on bank holidays, such as Christmas Day? A career I’m interested in as it seems the work-life balance is good and that’s important for me and my family, but wondered what happens especially at Christmas

You will be required to work all rostered turns even if the full on bank holidays, however Christmas Day and boxing will be subject to local arrangements for manning but full within the national arrangements for pay compensatory days. I.e. most small one person locations will be closed out but all larger signalling centres will have a either full or skeleton staffing level.