• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

SignallerJohn

I need to have a good look at my CV. After 17 years in the financial services industry I think my CV doesn't go anywhere near close enough to helping me in securing an interview for the role of a Signaller.

Any tips folks? I know at the moment that compared with ex-services people I am going to struggle to impress on paper. Thoughts welcome.

P.s. just read this back and wondered if this is better off posted in the Pre-employment discusson forum rather than here.
Not everyone applying will be ex-services don’t panic!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southernsig

I need to have a good look at my CV. After 17 years in the financial services industry I think my CV doesn't go anywhere near close enough to helping me in securing an interview for the role of a Signaller.

Any tips folks? I know at the moment that compared with ex-services people I am going to struggle to impress on paper. Thoughts welcome.

P.s. just read this back and wondered if this is better off posted in the Pre-employment discusson forum rather than here.
Have a look at the non techinical skills pushed by network rail and make sure the content within the CV covers all of them where possible.

And dont worry if ypir not having much success straight away, it takes some people a long time to get in, the key is patience and to just keep plugging away!

nom de guerre

Weren’t the Arundel and Dorking releif jobs that were just advertised for meal relief is so then they won’t be covering all the signalling locations as the GP relief as not all locations qualified for meal breaks.

Last I heard, the new jobs were being treated as standard relief positions as the finer details re the introduction of meal breaks had yet to be decided. They weren't advertised as meal relief - no mention of office-type hours etc.

I wonder if meal break cover might be integrated into the existing relief roster.

Saracen_83

Cambridge grade 7 x4 on NR website today

Anyone have any information on this?? rota etc 8, 12hrs? Location is it Cambridge psb? ?

I e tried searching through the thread but cannot see anything that gives any information?

Last edited:

Rusto

Has anyone had any updates about the grade 3 posts available in Pontypool or Abergavenny? I know a few people mentioned them much earlier on in the thread?

Mark1969

Has anyone had any updates about the grade 3 posts available in Pontypool or Abergavenny? I know a few people mentioned them much earlier on in the thread?
Hi Rusto. I had unsuccessful this morning for Abergavenny.

Rusto

Ironic timing - wait for months, post this and 2 hours later get an update!!

Just checked the page - I also got an 'unsuccessful' - haven't had an email notification yet though.

Sinistah

Dorking Reliefs cover Dorking (G4), Littlehaven (G1/2), Reigate (G3), Whyteleafe (G1/2) and Oxted (G6).

A reasonably interesting mixture of crossing boxes, lever frames and NX...

The Arundel area had already been mentioned a few pages upthread. Easily found via the search function ;)

I know that littlehaven is a crossing box. Is it safe to assume that Dorking is the biggest box and is NX Panel. Reigate is probably also NX Panel with the other 2 whyteleafe and oxted being lever frames?

nom de guerre

Have you googled the boxes?

I'd say this is a reasonably helpful thread, but we can't do everything for you... ;)

As Whyteleafe may be trickier to find: it's a crossing box, located in a station building at Whyteleafe South. Responsible for two CCTV crossings; panel.

Sunset route

Established Member
I know that littlehaven is a crossing box. Is it safe to assume that Dorking is the biggest box and is NX Panel. Reigate is probably also NX Panel with the other 2 whyteleafe and oxted being lever frames?

Dorking and Reigate are both lever frames
Oxted is an NX panel
Whyteleafe and I believe Littlehaven (after its failed conversion to CCTV controlled by TBASC) now are both OCS panels edit (looking at the definitions they could be IFS).

OCS = One Control Switch.

IFS = individual Function Switch (can be on a signalling diagram panel or just grouped on a control panel). A button version of a lever frame.

Last edited:

Sinistah

I'd say this is a reasonably helpful thread, but we can't do everything for you... ;)

As Whyteleafe may be trickier to find: it's a crossing box, located in a station building at Whyteleafe South. Responsible for two CCTV crossings; panel.
Mate, have you tried googling a box. What a waste of time. I'd rather ask the people that are in the know.

Sinistah

Thank you for your answer mate.

Sinistah

FYI I was turned down to visit the box I am applying for so am using the other sources that I know have friendly and knowledgeable people that are happy to help.

Sinistah

A waste of time? Why?

The most basic of googling very quickly produces the following:

Reigate

Dorking
(2014 image)

Oxted

Answers most of your questions; took 2 minutes.

Anyway, good luck with the application. Have you been offered an interview?
Yes mate I have an interview in the next week. The problem with googling is it gives you very old information. I'm not particularly interested in what it looks like but more so what equipment is being used there such as Lever frame, NX Panel. What train operating companies use the lines. How many trains are you dealing with an hour. Stuff that would be more likely found out on this forum. I'm not going to totally dismiss googling but I feel there is more to be had on here in my opinion. Thank you for doing the google search anyway though mate. I'm sure I will meet you in person at some point. I met a signaller in a box I visited recently who mentioned that he knew you.

nom de guerre

Well, best of luck for the interview. Shame you're not being allowed any box visits. Oxted and Dorking would be difficult for a non-employee to access, but the other three are on station platforms.

Google is just a starting point. The quality of search results can be variable, but it's still worth doing - in this case, the Dorking and Oxted images are more or less accurate to the present day.

Quite a few sites will give you info on service levels, eg Real Time Trains. Note, the TOCs are shown. 1330-2130 would be a typical late turn.

Sunset route

Established Member
One question that pops quite a lot is what hours and what rota does location X work. The only problems with this is that within the standard agreements there can be various rosters to suit the varied location(s) around the country. The next problem is from time to time the existing staff at these locations will decide upon a new roster that suits them better either different rest days or length of shift or both and then negotiate it in with the management, quite often in less time than it takes most applicants to get through the application process.

Having said that no location that I’m aware of had gone from 12hr shifts back to 8hr shifts, on the other hand there is an ever increasing amount that are opting from 8hr shifts to 12hr shifts. But 8hr or 12hr shifts are not the only versions out there. Some locations that close out over night will have shifts that could be 9 or 10hrs long give or take a few minutes and I did know at least one location (that still might work this) have official shifts of 6hr early shift, 8hr late shift and 10 night shift. Just something to bear in mind when asking.

Sinistah

Thank you nom for your kind words and extra information you sent in the pm. This stuff is invaluable and means a lot to us guys that are trying to get in.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Abergavenny Grade 3 (Releif) +29% (I think) is advertised internally at the moment - makes a grade 3 about a grade 6 salary wise basic.

I’d have thought they’d cover south and north of the home SB.

Also internal is Leominster and Pontrilis, they are also external to, both grade 2 I think.

Ross Shearing

Guys in the know, what boxes does the Haslemere relief cover? Is it likely to go to a ROC anytime soon? Thanks in advance!

TRain87

Guys in the know, what boxes does the Haslemere relief cover? Is it likely to go to a ROC anytime soon? Thanks in advance!

Haslemere, Petersfield and Farncombe

No it won't t be going into the ROC any time soon. It may go into Guildford, but I'd say that's at least 10 years away!