• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

30Levers

That’s correct. As you’re shift starts on the 24th then you miss out I believe. This is the same for ANY night shift on into a bank holiday. However, if you’re working a night shift ON a bank holiday into a normal day (1900-0700, or 2300-0700), always take the LROP, as you ARE entitled to a comp day, whereas taking HROP you will only receive higher rate for the hours worked on the bank holiday.

Not technically true for any night shift into a bank holiday.. I know if you are rostered Sunday night into a Monday (overtime shift) then you get the Monday hours paid at bank holiday rate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GingerRH

Not technically true for any night shift into a bank holiday.. I know if you are rostered Sunday night into a Monday (overtime shift) then you get the Monday hours paid at bank holiday rate.

If I’m honest I’d not thought of that example as it’s a very niche situation.

soswales

Received an email in regards to my application for Cardiff ROC and I have been placed on the reserve list as I met the required benchmark for the role but others scored higher.
I guess if the people who get offered the job turn it down they may ask me...
For now, no career in signalling! Guess I will have to keep applying until I get there!

Has anyone had this happen to them before and then been offered the position? Bet its unlikely.

Thanks everyone for their help.. The information on this forum has been very useful.

Last edited:

R.Quintero

Is there a tendency for new signallers to come from particular work backgrounds? I see emergency services mentioned a lot in this forum. Just wondering what backgrounds recently successful applicants have, and whether it makes any difference. I've had a couple of interviews so far, as yet unsuccessful. Of course, I could just be giving bad answers...but my background is a long way from emergency services work.

Prior to becoming a signaller I spent 8 years doing an office job for a company who made perfumes, so I think it's fair to say most if not all past careers have at least a shot at getting you a job haha. I don't think my employment history could be further from police/army/fire service etc if I tried!

What I gleaned, and this is purely personal opinion, is that whilst certain past careers may have given you a head start with certain essential skills (good comms for example), the main thing being looked at is what personal traits you have which are a fit for the role.

30Levers

If I’m honest I’d not thought of that example as it’s a very niche situation.

Is it? Fair enough, pretty much every box around near me get a couple of Sunday overtime shifts each month so I just assumed it was quite the norm.

GingerRH

Is it? Fair enough, pretty much every box around near me get a couple of Sunday overtime shifts each month so I just assumed it was quite the norm.

Where I am, the chances of getting a RDW on Sunday are almost zero, you get your booked ones but anything else and the relief have hoovered them up lol.

Southernsig

Anyone able to help a fairly new signaller get their head around bank holiday pay, LROP and HROP?

What happens if a bank holiday falls on your usual day off? You get a day off in lieu but what about lower and higher rate of pay?

If a bank holiday falls on your normal shift pattern but you've been booked off (as I have been for Christmas day as the box is shut) I assume you lose your lieu day? Also what happens to lower and higher rate of pay?

Any help is appreciated!
If booked off you can hve the higher rate of pay and have a flat days pay or the lower rate which is a comp day

30Levers

Booked to work and booked off, single rate of pay, no comp leave

If booked off you can hve the higher rate of pay and have a flat days pay or the lower rate which is a comp day

Two different answers, anyone know for definite? Had a look through the rostering principle document on RMT, found lots of great information on working bank holidays but nothing to do with being booked off.

headshot119

Established Member
Two different answers, anyone know for definite? Had a look through the rostering principle document on RMT, found lots of great information on working bank holidays but nothing to do with being booked off.

If you are booked to work Christmas Day, or Boxing day, and you are booked off. We've all been told it's flat rate of pay with no option of LROP or HROP.

If you think about it it makes sense as...

The day is a bank holiday and you are booked to work.
The box is closed and you aren't needed.
They default to a sort of LROP option, you're getting paid flat hours, and getting a comp day taken on the day in question.

If you PM me your email address (or box and I'll send it to the box address) I'll forward on the information we got sent by rosters.

Sunset route

Established Member
Where I am, the chances of getting a RDW on Sunday are almost zero, you get your booked ones but anything else and the relief have hoovered them up lol.

Getting a RDW on a Sunday would be like finding rocking horse Doo Doos, pixie dust or unicorns, it don’t exist :lol::lol:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Getting a RDW on a Sunday would be like finding rocking horse Doo Doos, pixie dust or unicorns, it don’t exist :lol::lol:

I don’t think I’ve ever picked up a day turn Sunday, nights are more common.

We can’t move for RDW at the minute, the rosters clerks gets the arse when we NA lol

30Levers

If you are booked to work Christmas Day, or Boxing day, and you are booked off. We've all been told it's flat rate of pay with no option of LROP or HROP.

If you think about it it makes sense as...

The day is a bank holiday and you are booked to work.
The box is closed and you aren't needed.
They default to a sort of LROP option, you're getting paid flat hours, and getting a comp day taken on the day in question.

If you PM me your email address (or box and I'll send it to the box address) I'll forward on the information we got sent by rosters.
Yeah I said on a previous post that I assumed there would be no comp day involved as you're using the comp day on the day in question.

I was just asking to make sure, the roster clerk isn't great at keeping track of how many comp days/annual leave days each person has so therefore we have to do it ourselves!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Received an email in regards to my application for Cardiff ROC and I have been placed on the reserve list as I met the required benchmark for the role but others scored higher.
I guess if the people who get offered the job turn it down they may ask me...
For now, no career in signalling! Guess I will have to keep applying until I get there!

Has anyone had this happen to them before and then been offered the position? Bet its unlikely.

Thanks everyone for their help.. The information on this forum has been very useful.

It happens, as in one of the chosen few turn down an offer...

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Internal Wales Route vacancies likely to go external so keep an eye out.

Pantyffynnon SB - Central Wales Line.
Kidwelly SB - Between Swansea and Carmarthen.
Ferryside SB - Between Swansea and Carmarthen.

Also a Newport link Grade 6 Relief at SWCC.

Cavan

Internal Wales Route vacancies likely to go external so keep an eye out.

Pantyffynnon SB - Central Wales Line.
Kidwelly SB - Between Swansea and Carmarthen.
Ferryside SB - Between Swansea and Carmarthen.

Also a Newport link Grade 6 Relief at SWCC.

Is it not unusual for higher grade jobs (especially relief) to go external at swcc?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’ve never seen a job higher than grade 4 at SWCC go external.

Best bet is get a lower grade else where and move in when your on the job.

CygnusX1

Hello Everyone,
First, I would like to say thank you for all the information on this thread. I am new here and applied for the Three Bridges ROC signaller job in November. I applied for a Three Bridges ASC job a year ago, made it to the interview stage but had to self withdraw for personal reasons. I am trying again and I was able to use my old assessment results so skipped the test part this go around. In any event, this is where I stand:

Application Under Review 02-Nov-2018 12:01:55
Application Accepted 05-Nov-2018 07:11:52
Application Under Consideration 05-Nov-2018 13:00:12
Test Completed 05-Nov-2018 14:00:21
Test Completed 05-Nov-2018 14:32:15
Application Under Consideration 29-Nov-2018 10:06:24
Application under consideration for assessment 2 17-Dec-2018 11:55:38
Invite to Assessment 2 Pending 19-Dec-2018 11:47:41
Invite to Assessment 2 Pending 20-Dec-2018 15:28:29
Assessment 2 Scheduled 21-Dec-2018 08:38:18

I also received an e-mail from HR about what I need to bring as I am an external candidate. It says I have been selected for a panel interview. The e-mail itself doesn't say much about what to expect, except that I should be able to demonstrate my awareness of the safety vision and included a link to the website. All that seems pretty straight forward to me.

Is there anything else I should expect or prepare for? I went through this thread and got loads of tips but some of the posts are quite old, so I assume things have probably changed by now. Is there anyone here that recently went through the process that could give me some tips? Any help is much appreciated!

headshot119

Established Member
Get to know the eight none technical skills, and have a scenario ready to demonstrate a time you have shown that none technical skill. Use the STAR technique when answering all questions.

An overview of what area the location controls, and which operators run in the area is good to have.

Be prepared to talk about the safety vision, and to explain why you want the position.

CygnusX1

Get to know the eight none technical skills, and have a scenario ready to demonstrate a time you have shown that none technical skill. Use the STAR technique when answering all questions.

An overview of what area the location controls, and which operators run in the area is good to have.

Be prepared to talk about the safety vision, and to explain why you want the position.

Thank you! I will definitely get on that.