• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

galaxynew

The best way I found to keep 100% in the loop was to literally check the job site or save Signaller in your search on there every day.

There’s some good jobs on there at the moment as well.
In the absence of job alert emails this is what i have been doing yes, just a little annoying that there is an obvious issue and HR are not capable of resolving it.

Cavan

It is best to do as Tom says anyway - usually by 07.00 the jobs that closed the previous day have gone and any new jobs are posted. The alerts sometimes missed jobs too and often didn't give a location: "signaller then random irc number" doesn't give much away, especially when the link needed an interal log in to get details!

Barry Buchanan

Hi there I applied for a Signaller Grade 3 post at Craigo on the 24th, my application currently states "application accepted" but I've not received an email to complete the situational judgement tests. It states you shall receive these within 72hrs if successful.

Does this mean my application has been rejected or is this quite normal?

Thanks for any help.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I think it’s a standard stage everyone does, they take your score to assess whether you go through to the next step.

Narom

Hi there I applied for a Signaller Grade 3 post at Craigo on the 24th, my application currently states "application accepted" but I've not received an email to complete the situational judgement tests. It states you shall receive these within 72hrs if successful.

Thanks for any help.

Probably 72 working hours. Nothing happens HR wise over the weekend, may he today or tomorrow

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Just a bit of advice please guys.I have been short listed for a customer service officer job with east midland trains.Its less money than im on now but better hours.I still want to be a signaller with network rail and I was wondering would this role if I took it would help my chances of becoming a signaller.

Any role on the railway that allows you to build competency examples for the NTS questions on the application and later at interview will help no end.

Thistley

Thanks for any help.

Have you completed the situational judgement test in the past? I've applied for this as well and have already completed the test a few days ago.

Barry Buchanan

Have you completed the situational judgement test in the past? I've applied for this as well and have already completed the test a few days ago.

no this is the first time I've applied for a signaller post. Did you get an email straight away?

Littlestu

Had an application in for a leeds post. The position is still advertised yet my application gone withdrawn. Why has this happened? Or does it happen a lot?

Littlestu

Had an application in for a leeds post. The position is still advertised yet my application gone withdrawn. Why has this happened? Or does it happen a lot?

It would seem the post has been pulled as when i click on it there is no job information

Thistley

no this is the first time I've applied for a signaller post. Did you get an email straight away?

I received the email within 72 hours of application, inviting for a SHL assessment that comprises of a situational judgement test and a numerical reasoning test. Perhaps you could try calling Network Rail and figure it out?

Thistley

Not sure as my application has been withdrawn as well. Would've liked to call Network Rail, but their lines are currently closed due to a technical issue - perhaps I'll call them tomorrow instead.

Curtis

I was also in the same boat. Had the email yesterday to say the vacancy was no longer available. Pretty gutted to be honest! Ahh well... Keep trying I suppose!

Habitat

I've been invited to complete the online assessments for the signaller position at Heckington.
Any hints and tips for it?
Anyone else on here going for the post?

Stodge

On the job description under "How to apply"
It states "please click apply now to login and submit your CV online"

When uploading the "employment history capture form" in the "add another document section the drop-down list has 4 options.
*Application form
*CV
*cover letter
*Other document type

Am I thinking I shouldn't add a cover letter with my CV as it hasn't specifically asked for it on job description. Or should I add one because the option's there?

Basically will I be downgraded for uploading a cover letter when they don't want one (if they don't want one)

Help!

Hope this all makes sense cheers

Habitat

Same as Narom.
I just did as the application instructed.
I've done the 3 online tests today.
Completed situational judgement OK, and then verbal reasoning within the time limit.
I then ran out of time on numerical reasoning.
I received an email this afternoon, telling me they're waiting on my results and will contact me within five days

Cavan

Didcot G7 positions back on the external list if anyone interested in that area.

Habitat

Online assessment passed. Now waiting on my next email.
Are there lots of situational judgement questions in the interview?
Are they the kind of interviews that ask you for your experience of handling certain situations?

Narom

Online assessment passed. Now waiting on my next email.
Are there lots of situational judgement questions in the interview?
Are they the kind of interviews that ask you for your experience of handling certain situations?

Search this thread with the keyword "interview" you'll find loads of q&as on it. Recommend reading it all at meale once!

Lemonice21

I have been reading this thread since last summer. Have applied for a few jobs. Got an interview at West Mids last October but I was unsuccessful. Does anyone have any insight as to how often jobs at Rugby (either ROC or SCC) come up? This would be my ideal location.
Not many manual signal boxes in my part of the world. I see Didcot is posting again but just a little too far to commute to. Don't want to relocate but might have to consider it.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Regards Rugby, externally like Hens teeth most ROCs are - an exception would be Three Bridges and Thames Valley.

Regards Thames Valley, you can lodge there save physical relocation once your in the door you’ll have access to the internal list which has many juicy locations much more often.

Lemonice21

Thanks Tom. Just to clarify what do you mean by 'lodging' at Thames valley? Might be something to consider.

Littlestu

I was also in the same boat. Had the email yesterday to say the vacancy was no longer available. Pretty gutted to be honest! Ahh well... Keep trying I suppose!

Yeah same here now. Onwards and upwards still a few active and hopefully more come up soon