• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

galaxynew

Morning all,

Does anyone know how the payment is calculated for when you take annual leave and get an extra bump as technically you were unable to work OT while away?

Thanks!
I would have presumed your pay when on annual leave is your basic salary with no extra for overtime/nights etc as you have not worked any, surely you don't get paid because you weren't available to work overtime?

Interesting to see what others more in the know say on this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
You get a payment to cover the calculated difference between your basic pay and overtime which you could in theory have lost out on through being on annual leave. This is based on how much overtime you've worked in the previous 12 months so it's different for each individual. The reasoning behind this and the calculation is explained in detail in the letter you received.

galaxynew

Thanks for the explanation Highlandspring, didn't realise they did this but again great info gained in the forum...

nom de guerre

Does anyone know how the payment is calculated for when you take annual leave and get an extra bump as technically you were unable to work OT while away?

Gross Pay (less excluded payments including basic pay, Annual Leave Allowance & Annual Leave Premium) divided by 52.16, multiplied by 4 = HPS (Holiday Pay Supplement)

Also, any updates on the pay negotiations? I did a little google but couldn't find anything nore recent than Jan.

Most recent pay talks were on 1 Feb; latest union circular dated 4 Feb. PM me if you want a copy.

galaxynew

I put an application in for Signaller at Rochdale West last week. Having just been browsing through the the careers page it's now changed to a 6 Month secondment, is this likely to be an error? It definitely didn't say that when I applied
This vacancy has been withdrawn now, went from permanent to 6 months to non existent :D

HelixUK

It is definitely this one that has been withdrawn, presume the careers website will update overnight and it will disappear

The URL that has been posted is not a link to the main Network Rail careers page which lists all jobs for external candidates. If you look at the URL you will see the IRC job ID in it as 2142747, you could change this to much older job vacancies and it would still let you click the 'apply now' button. When you click on the jobs listed on main NR website it will take you to this recruitment site so you can apply.

For example, if you click the following link it would take you to a Wimbledon job that had a closing date of 30th April 2018 https://iebsprodnwrl.omcs.networkra...DISPLAY&p_svid=2108887&p_spid=6886359&refsh=0

On this job you're still able to 'Apply now'.

If you know the IRC number of any job, then you're able to change the URL and enter it. So just bear this in mind, even if the job no longer exists or has been filled.

Narom

The URL that has been posted is not a link to the main Network Rail careers page which lists all jobs for external candidates. If you look at the URL you will see the IRC job ID in it as 2142747, you could change this to much older job vacancies and it would still let you click the 'apply now' button. When you click on the jobs listed on main NR website it will take you to this recruitment site so you can apply.

True. But it's definitely still there on the main careers website, I only check the externals to help a friend find a job.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190304-215057.png
    Screenshot_20190304-215057.png
    587.8 KB · Views: 23

HelixUK

True. But it's definitely still there on the main careers website, I only check the externals to help a friend find a job.

Agh right okay, maybe those who know it's been fully withdrawn have more info on this particular job?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Gross Pay (less excluded payments including basic pay, Annual Leave Allowance & Annual Leave Premium) divided by 52.16, multiplied by 4 = HPS (Holiday Pay Supplement)

Most recent pay talks were on 1 Feb; latest union circular dated 4 Feb. PM me if you want a copy.

Has the offer been accepted do you know ?

Cavan

TVSC jobs are advertised very frequently - maybe they are wanting more applicants before doing interviews or could be for a talent pool?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Regards to TVSC:

There was a pool of job offer ready applicants about 12 months ago ready the Bristol Temple Meads (Link 4) jobs - this however was dreaded to fill said link (13 of a 15 man link!).

TVSC is a fantastic place to learn the craft of signalling, up to date equipment, very busy route with all the drama that goes with it.

However, central to the retention problem is its location - Didcot - being so close to London house prices are stupid, quality of life isn’t great.

Of my course of 7 in 2017, only 2 remain less than 18 months later we’ve all moved to different locations closer to home, this has been repeated across the link 4 guys with people again moving closer to home.

I’d suggest if you have a strong CV and work experience, show willing you’ll probably be in with a good shot at the jobs - even grade 9 jobs are going to external people.

Most current grade 7s at TVSC won’t/don’t bother going for the grade 9 jobs as their planing on moving to a closer to home location or the extra £3k isn’t worth the hassle of learning four new workstations.

Seejwalker

Mine too. Not sure whether to apply for the Grade 7 that is up again? Any thoughts folks?
Be silly no too mate, give yourself as many options and chances as possible. I applied two grade 7 positions at the same time, I'm not awaiting the start date for one while the other is sat with a hiring manager awaiting an interview invite.

Jay_123

Dont know how true this is but according to HR, the LOM or HR dont actually see the scores, they only see who’s passed and reached the benchmark so a pass is a pass. Is this correct or have i been misinformed? To be honest i dont know if SHL actually send the scores to network rail so could be true?

Last edited:

galaxynew

I was led to believe that HR send the LOM the top 5 candidates who will be interviewed, all based on a scoring system but not got a clue what this system is (i.e just the online tests or combination of tests and how you answer the 69 questions).

So i think the LOM will just interview the 5 candidates with a member of HR and again don't know how much say he/she has in who gets the job as sure the actual interview is scored aswell (5 selected for interview is based on 1 vacancy of course)

Maybe someone from HR or a past/present LOM could advise us all?

Cavan

I think it is a combination of the your answers to the 69 questions (1 point per question answered) and your SHL score. I think the LOMs do get to choose who to interview from a batch of people as it is certainly possible to get the "application passed to hiring manager" letter and then not be selected for interview. It is also possible for the LOM to interview more than 5 for one job. I suspect the LOMs don't read your answers/CV in detail when choosing who to interview (time constraints).

Ultimately it doesn't matter - answer as many questions as you are able and do the best you can in the SHL tests.

Narom

It's also possible they won't interview 5. They won't just lower standards to get to 5. Only 7 were interviewed for the two positions of which I got 1.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Having just sat the SHL assessments (don’t ask...) I can’t say I’m very impressed with them. I suppose the advantage to Network Rail is that they must be significantly cheaper than arranging psychometric assessment days but it would be very easy to have someone else sit them instead of you and I don’t see the relevance of them to the signaller role, particularly the numerical reasoning test. As with virtually all pre-employment assessments they’re just a pseudoscientific hoop to jump through to thin the numbers down a bit.