• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

ljmac

Hi all,

I've went from test completed (a few weeks ago) to under consideration for assessment 2.
Does this mean I have an interview or is it just a step closer? Previous went from test-under consideration-unsuccessful
Has anyone went from assessment 2 straight to unsuccessful?
Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
So i think the LOM will just interview the 5 candidates with a member of HR and again don't know how much say he/she has in who gets the job as sure the actual interview is scored aswell (5 selected for interview is based on 1 vacancy of course)

Maybe someone from HR or a past/present LOM could advise us all?
Just picking up on this, I have been for lots of internal NR interviews over the years for operational and engineering jobs and not once has there been anyone from HR on the panel.

Seejwalker

Just picking up on this, I have been for lots of internal NR interviews over the years for operational and engineering jobs and not once has there been anyone from HR on the panel.

I was Interviewed by the LOM and a member of HR.

Maybe there's no need for HR to attend if the candidate is internal?

Last edited:

Static65

I've had 2 external interviews. On both occasions it was the LOM and one of the current signallers interviewing, with no one from HR around. Also, both times I was told before the interview started that the job I applied for had been filled internally, but there was a lower grade role if I wished to continue with the interview.
After the second interview I went to sit with the signaller currently in post who told me they were moving up to the job the advert was for.
No complaints from me, I think it's right that LOM's look after their staff first, but it doesn't appear that HR have much to do with the process.

Judochop

I've had 3 interviews all for the signaller role. My first as an external was with the LOM & OM my next 2 as an internal candidate have been with 2 LOMs

galaxynew

Is the general census of opinion then that the LOM (or Hiring Manager) will be left to make a decision on who they want to appoint based on the interview?

galaxynew

Points based. Those who score the highest get it.
Difference of opinion in here then, i don't know by the way but like the discussion and opinions...

Opinion 1 - LOM interviews 5 applicants as given by HR and appoints on how the interview is scored, the LOM must therefore have to be fully trained on how to score the interview and presumably submit the scores to HR.
Opinion 2 - point scoring done by HR produces a list of applicants to interview, LOM interviews and appoints on who they think is best suited to the job and effectively become a member of his staff.

Seejwalker

From what I've ever understood of the interviews I've had in the rail industry is that HR are present to ensure the interview is conducted fairly, that said I've had an interview before where the hiring manager scored me 25/25 and the HR rep 18/25, I then needed a second interview with another hiring manager who said it should of been the previous hirings managers decision anyway.

galaxynew

From what I've ever understood of the interviews I've had in the rail industry is that HR are present to ensure the interview is conducted fairly, that said I've had an interview before where the hiring manager scored me 25/25 and the HR rep 18/25, I then needed a second interview with another hiring manager who said it should of been the previous hirings managers decision anyway.
Appears to be a lot of inconsistency based on recent comments

Highlandspring

Established Member
I once had an internal NR interview (not for a signaller job) where I was the the top scorer but they gave the job to the guy who came second with a score quite a bit below mine. The hiring manager freely admitted this but told me that a senior manager in the Route had overruled him and I wouldn’t be getting the job. That was just the start; I can’t really post what happened next but needless to say it got worse than that. As per the post above, welcome to the railway.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
A little story from my railway career, thankfully not NWR I hasten to add but it goes to show how totally bent the process can be when you upset someone is power.

I’ve been a guard (without SOL) incident since 2003, when I moved TOCs I scored top marks and it was mentioned that my experience was a major part in my selection, mentor and instructor roles where earmarked for me once I’d completed my initial probation at my new TOC.

Fast forward 7 months and I had to refuse to take a train in what I considered to be an unsafe condition (no driver/guard bell).

Shortly after i was interviewed by the same manager who recruited me for a train manager job, I failed but was told off record that it was because I rocked the boat with the failure of the set a few weeks prior.

Between 2012 and 2016 I applied, and failed the train manager interview 16 times !!

This happened to another chap as well for a very similar reason, needless to say I left the operator and haven’t looked back!

Synders

Hello,

I have recently had an interview for a signaller post in Derby, I am yet to hear any thing for over a week now. Is this a good or a bad sign?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Railway recruitment is slow, network rail recruitment is slower!

A week is nothing, keep your fingers crossed !

Seejwalker

Hello,

I have recently had an interview for a signaller post in Derby, I am yet to hear any thing for over a week now. Is this a good or a bad sign?

Took a few weeks for me to out, you will become acustom to the painfully slow progress NR recruitment makes.

Jaysub

Heard the haslemere is on internal list now,does anyone know if it will come up
On external list too?

Cavan

And does anyone know what kind of box chichester is ??

Jay - have you tried a search on this thread? Many boxes (including Chichester) have been discussed/asked about in the past - this is a good first step to get some info and then you can ask if you have any other questions?

I would also recommend https://photos.signalling.org/index.php?/categories as this has pictures (including internally in many cases) of loads of signal boxes.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I was very surprised to see there are two SSM jobs (Cambridge and TVSC) being advertised externally at the moment.

Fozz94

I've applied for the Lostock role in Cheshire and got sent the links for the online assessments. When I clicked on the verbal and numerical ones it said that I had already completed the test with a ROC therefore I didn't need to do it again. Strange question but does this mean I don't have to do anything more now? My application still says that I am at application test stage

Highlandspring

Established Member
Can they seriously be filled by an external applicant, seems totally illogical
It would be a very steep learning curve for someone with no prior experience and I think it would be hard work to earn the respect of the signallers.

I've applied for the Lostock role in Cheshire and got sent the links for the online assessments. When I clicked on the verbal and numerical ones it said that I had already completed the test with a ROC therefore I didn't need to do it again. Strange question but does this mean I don't have to do anything more now? My application still says that I am at application test stage
Have you already sat the tests in the last year?

Fozz94

It would be a very steep learning curve and I think it would be hard work to earn the respect of the signallers.

Have you already sat the tests in the last year?
Yes quite recently, I just thought my application would have automatically updated and said something like 'tests completed' or 'under consideration' rtc

Highlandspring

Established Member
I think all the changes in status require some sort of manual intervention or review. Did you still have to do the situational judgement test again?