• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Yeah, I’ve heard a whisper that NWR want to get rid of all 12 hour shifts, anyone else know any more?
(I’m guessing that’s a lot of unhappy signallers if true)

There’ll be a serious break down in relations if that is even officially proposed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
On 8hrs turns you can be rostered to work up to 13 consecutive turns, on 12hrs it’s only 6.

I know which one is less fatigue prone, round this way we went on strike to get 12hr turns there is no way we’ll let them go without a fight.

Sunset route

On 8hrs turns you can be rostered to work up to 13 consecutive turns, on 12hrs it’s only 6.

It’s was proposed in the changes to the National Rostering Principles a rolling 60hrs maxim working period, so the maxim days you could work on a 8hr roster would be 7 consecutive. But god knows what version is being discussed and how far it’s progress at the moment.

Llanigraham

Established Member
Yeah, I’ve heard a whisper that NWR want to get rid of all 12 hour shifts, anyone else know any more?
(I’m guessing that’s a lot of unhappy signallers if true)

That has been said for years, but nothing has happened and Boxes have moved from 8's to 12's. Plus 8's need more workers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
It’s was proposed in the changes to the National Rostering Principles a rolling 60hrs maxim working period, so the maxim days you could work on a 8hr roster would be 7 consecutive. But god knows what version is being discussed and how far it’s progress at the moment.

I really can’t see a national 8hr roster going ahead across every location, and every route.

But we’ll see.

Sunset route

I really can’t see a national 8hr roster going ahead across every location, and every route.

But we’ll see.

Just to recap, I didn’t say anything about a national 8hr roster, just a rolling 60hr cap and how that would apply to the 8hr rosters, you can still have rosters between 6hrs and 12hrs subject to this 60hr cap if it ever gets agreed. This is outside whatever restrictions the ORR might or might not impose on the signalling grade to mitigate against fatigue.

LOM

I think it is unlikely ORR will ban or mandate anything specific but will require Network Rail to take positive action to manage fatigue for signallers beyond the current national rostering principles and NR will as usual throw the baby out with the bath water. As you correctly point out 12 hour rosters won’t be let go without a fight from the staff side and moving wholesale to 8s everywhere will need massive recruitment of new bodies which wont come cheap. The position since time immemorial has been that rosters are entirely a matter for local negotiation so it will be very interesting to see what happens next.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
8hr four day week, or a 12hr three day week....

A significant Proportion of the grade already have the latter, far more important issue for our union to focus on than getting 4hrs taken off the working week.

Peterperfect

8hr four day week, or a 12hr three day week....

A significant Proportion of the grade already have the latter, far more important issue for our union to focus on than getting 4hrs taken off the working week.

As it stands the 12hr shift in a 35 hour week generates a day off every 12 weeks. Make it 32 hours a week and if we still have to do the 36 hrs that will generate a day off every 3 weeks.

To move to 4 x 8hrs that's a no no from me as it ties another day up and adds to travel costs and doesnt say much for network rails commitment to the environment.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Good point regards the environment, how many extra work related car trips would be generated each week by an extra round trip.

Llanigraham

Established Member
Good point regards the environment, how many extra work related car trips would be generated each week by an extra round trip.

At my old Box it would have meant 2 extra shifts a week on average for me, so with 4 in the roster (disregarding Reliefs) that is 16 extra journeys. As you say, not very environmentaly friendly.

Hemmy1!

Had an email saying I was under consideration for the role with the hiring manager at both the positions I applied for. Means nothing at all but I was happy to hear I was still in the game

Probs 3.5 weeks since I was informed I’d passed the tests

Slow process

89jordanbj

Had an email saying I was under consideration for the role with the hiring manager at both the positions I applied for. Means nothing at all but I was happy to hear I was still in the game

Probs 3.5 weeks since I was informed I’d passed the tests

Slow process
Which positions did you apply for?

Maximus37

Hi all,
I have been told today by my LOM that I'm off to Signalling School on Jan the 13th in Shettleston, Scotland. I've had a look and Shettleston is in Glasgow. Does anybody have any experience of attending school in Scotland? Any advice, info would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Jay_123

Anyone know what shifts Buxton SB operates? (G4 job advertised today)
Dont quote me on this but im sure ive read somewhere its a 24/7 box so could be 12’s? Sure some of the other folks on here could give you a more accurate answer mate

headshot119

Established Member
Hi all,
I have been told today by my LOM that I'm off to Signalling School on Jan the 13th in Shettleston, Scotland. I've had a look and Shettleston is in Glasgow. Does anybody have any experience of attending school in Scotland? Any advice, info would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Shettleston is a new facility but I can't give you any specific advice.

In terms of the course though, make sure you ask questions if you aren't sure, put the work in of a night, and make sure you get down time from it all at the weekends.

LOM

Hi all,
The school has been set up in the old plant depot and I think this is only the second or third course that has been run there. They will more than likely put you up in the Jurys Inn by Glasgow Central so you will have to get the train out to Shettleston in the morning and back in the afternoon. The teaching is exactly as per signalling school anywhere else in the UK. Good luck.

Last edited:

Littlestu

Not many positions come up in the yorkshire region recently. Just seen one come up as relief as a grade 3, is a relief a good position to start out as if i applied?

Cavan

Not many positions come up in the yorkshire region recently. Just seen one come up as relief as a grade 3, is a relief a good position to start out as if i applied?

There was a future vacancies campaign advert that just closed that was for many vacancies in Yorkshire that need filling in the coming months........

Maximus37

The school has been set up in the old plant depot and I think this is only the second or third course that has been run there. They will more than likely put you up in the Jurys Inn by Glasgow Central so you will have to get the train out to Shettleston in the morning and back in the afternoon. The teaching is exactly as per signalling school anywhere else in the UK. Good luck.

That's brilliant and thank you very much!

NewtoNR

Hi! I’m due to start signalling school on 10 Feb. I’m sure I’ve read on here somewhere a summary of what each week covers but I can’t find it anywhere. Can anyone help?