• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

LOM

Hi, I don’t remember seeing anything about a covering letter, just an upload cv section! Hope this doesn’t affect any application that I have at the moment, will definitely be adding one next time!

You certainly do not have to upload a covering letter and most applicants do not bother. I find as a manager who recruits signallers having a brief bit of background about what specifically interests a candidate in the job helps with shortlisting immensely. Often in a CV all you get is a list of previous jobs and school results which tells you very little about why a candidate has applied and why they would be a good fit for the role. It is a bit different for internal candidates but when recruiting externally a letter definitely helps when deciding who to interview. I can only speak for myself but I really like it when I see a covering letter!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Woody27

You certainly do not have to upload a covering letter and most applicants do not bother. I find as a manager who recruits signallers having a brief bit of background about what specifically interests a candidate in the job helps with shortlisting immensely. Often in a CV all you get is a list of previous jobs and school results which tells you very little about why a candidate has applied and why they would be a good fit for the role. It is a bit different for internal candidates but when recruiting externally a letter definitely helps when deciding who to interview. I can only speak for myself but I really like it when I see a covering letter!
that makes perfect sense, will definitely be adding one next time. Thanks Lom for your input

Ell887

LOM. I’m by no means applying in the very near future... but would you be kind enough to have a 2 minute scan over my CV to see if I have the qualities required for roles within the industry? If not I understand. Can’t find the PM option on here, if there is one. Thanks again.

MylesHSG

LOM. I’m by no means applying in the very near future... but would you be kind enough to have a 2 minute scan over my CV to see if I have the qualities required for roles within the industry? If not I understand. Can’t find the PM option on here, if there is one. Thanks again.

I'll just say there is nothing specific in previous job history that will help an external candidate. I know research scientists with PhD's become signallers and people who worked in a bookies. I worked for an energy company before joining NWR.

LOM

Sorry I do not think I would be comfortable doing that. Your CV may land on my desk one day and there are also data protection laws to consider.

As MylesHSG says above there are no magic words. You just need to read the Essential Criteria on the advert and have a think about how your experience can be tailored to demonstrate that. Remember to think about experience you may have gained outside the workplace too.

Wanderer84

MrsP2010

Well guys (and dolls!!) I am just bursting to say that I got the highly coveted email today letting me know that I had a formal offer!! Yayyy I can’t believe it!! After 15 months of applications I’ve finally done it!!! Now the long wait for a medical and start date!!:D:D

LOM

Well guys (and dolls!!) I am just bursting to say that I got the highly coveted email today letting me know that I had a formal offer!! Yayyy I can’t believe it!! After 15 months of applications I’ve finally done it!!! Now the long wait for a medical and start date!!:D:D
Well done. Welcome to the railway family!

Kraken

Great news, massive congratulations! Hope it flies by and the current situation doesn’t slow everything down too much.

croydonboy

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone else's application status has changed to under consideration for assesment 2 for Three Bridges ASC x6?

I've only spoken to people who got the thumbs down which is unfortunate, I never really expected to hear any updates regarding applications for now.
Expecting a long wait for an update! Fingers Crossed. :D

Last edited:

Ell887

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

I’ve got a few CVs written aimed at different industries. Different aspects emphasised on each depending on which sector they’ll be sent to.

Allaboard78

As someone who has never worked shifts or had to understand a shift workers payslip us there anyone that can very simply explain something to me? I know the basic salary is 34697, but I've seen people saying this isnt what you earn with Sundays. How much extra are sundays? How does sunday working work? Obviously I'm not thinking about overtime it's just the sundays part. Also is extra added on for night shifts? Sorry for all the questions

Sunset route

Established Member
As someone who has never worked shifts or had to understand a shift workers payslip us there anyone that can very simply explain something to me? I know the basic salary is 34697, but I've seen people saying this isnt what you earn with Sundays. How much extra are sundays? How does sunday working work? Obviously I'm not thinking about overtime it's just the sundays part.

If you take a simple four weekly 8hr rotating roster with 12hr Sunday’s. Your 35hr Monday to Saturday working week will averaged out over multiples of this roster until the hours balance out (16 weeks I believe). Now the railway doesn’t shut down on Sunday's so the Sunday turns that needed to be worked will be shown on the base roster, this case 2 per 4 week cycle and as they are on the base roster you have to work them (compulsory overtime). Should one of your colleagues want their booked roster Sunday off, then it will offered to their colleagues as voluntary overtime.

Your basic pay is your salary for Monday to Saturday plus your rostered Sunday’s plus your night shift supplement plus London allowance or half London allowance if your qualify for it.

The Sunday part Saturday night into Sunday morning gives you a + half hour pay per hour extra but the Saturday part is part of your basic 35hr salary

The Monday part of Sunday night into Monday paid at time + quarter.

The Sunday rate of pay is time + half of your basic hourly rate regardless whether it compulsory or voluntary.

Rest day worked (Monday to Saturday) is time + quarter.

Overtime ie working an extra 4hrs before or after your normal 8hrs is paid at just (basic) time.

Saracen_83

As someone who has never worked shifts or had to understand a shift workers payslip us there anyone that can very simply explain something to me? I know the basic salary is 34697, but I've seen people saying this isnt what you earn with Sundays. How much extra are sundays? How does sunday working work? Obviously I'm not thinking about overtime it's just the sundays part. Also is extra added on for night shifts? Sorry for all the questions

So as a grade 4 signaller you will take home 2669 per month before tax and any additional payments (outer/inner London allowance if applicable, night shift allowance etc....)

so if your working 12 hour sundays and do 2 per month ( 1 sun day, 1 sun night) then you would need to add £343 and 329 to your monthly pay so £672pm....

over the course of a year you will probably add around 6-8k on top of your salary in Sunday’s alone....

Allaboard78

If you take a simple four weekly 8hr rotating roster with 12hr Sunday’s. Your 35hr Monday to Saturday working week will averaged out over multiples of this roster until the hours balance out (16 weeks I believe). Now the railway doesn’t shut down on Sunday's so the Sunday turns that needed to be worked will be shown on the base roster, this case 2 per 4 week cycle and as they are on the base roster you have to work them (compulsory overtime). Should one of your colleagues want their booked roster Sunday off, then it will offered to their colleagues as voluntary overtime.

Your basic pay is your salary for Monday to Saturday plus your rostered Sunday’s plus your night shift supplement plus London allowance or half London allowance if your qualify for it.

The Sunday part Saturday night into Sunday morning gives you a + half hour pay per hour extra but the Saturday part is part of your basic 35hr salary

The Monday part of Sunday night into Monday paid at time + quarter.

The Sunday rate of pay is time + half of your basic hourly rate regardless whether it compulsory or voluntary.

Rest day worked (Monday to Saturday) is time + quarter.

Overtime ie working an extra 4hrs before or after your normal 8hrs is paid at just (basic) time.
That is so helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain.

Allaboard78

So as a grade 4 signaller you will take home 2669 per month before tax and any additional payments (outer/inner London allowance if applicable, night shift allowance etc....)

so if your working 12 hour sundays and do 2 per month ( 1 sun day, 1 sun night) then you would need to add £343 and 329 to your monthly pay so £672pm....

over the course of a year you will probably add around 6-8k on top of your salary in Sunday’s alone....
That's really easy to understand. I do have one question. What is night shift allowance?

Saracen_83

That's really easy to understand. I do have one question. What is night shift allowance?

Very simply every time you work a night shift your are paid an additional payment for that shift as it is a night, so as a grade 4 you are paid an extra £15.25 for each night shift you work

Last edited:

danners430

Phoned recruitment this morning, and got the automated system saying they're doing a reduced phone service... They gave an email address to email, but it bounces - anyone know any more? It could just be I misheard them

Allaboard78

Dry simply every time you work a night shift your are paid an additional payment for that shift as it is a night, so as a grade 4 you are paid an extra £15.25 for each night shift you work
So you would take home £3341 and then add on your night shift allowance?

qwertyberty

Phoned recruitment this morning, and got the automated system saying they're doing a reduced phone service... They gave an email address to email, but it bounces - anyone know any more? It could just be I misheard them
Hi - also called them, the voice message sounded like irecs@ or irex@ - I have not tried it but which email did you try that bounced?