• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thebigmusic

There is no quota system. Candidates are assessed entirely on merit based on the application questions/SHL tests and interview scores. Interview panels are supposed to be gender-balanced where possible. The only slight nod towards a quota is that any candidate who declares a disability must be interviewed unless the hiring manager can demonstrate from the candidate's application that they do not meet the essential criteria for the role. Before a job is advertised the hiring manager has to agree a recruitment plan with HR which includes the timescales for everything from the vacancy going live in the system to the signaller finishing school. These timescales are supposed to be strict but in practice there has to be a bit of float. They generally plan on a maximum of 4 months from advertising to starting signalling school.

It would be exceptional to not appoint one of the candidates who are interviewed first time round. In fact once the interview shortlist (usually maximum 6, minimum 3 for one position) has been drawn up the other candidates are supposed to have their status changed to "reject before interview" with a reason code which then automatically generates a letter informing the candidate that they have been unsuccessful. I do not think you can then change their status back after that, it is final. I think you would have to readvertise the job.

Both are difficult courses but they focus on different skills and systems. I suppose an analogy would be like learning to fly an aeroplane versus a helicopter. The school is designed to take you from complete novice to competent signaller. A huge part of that is teaching you to understand the meaning and applications of the rules in the book.

This is tremendously helpful, thank you!

I've made it to interview for 1 out of the 3 positions I applied for - I received a rejection letter from NR via email for the 2 posts I didn't make it to interview for, and then a phone call from the LOM for the position I have been shortlisted for. Lots to cram for interview wise, especially as my company have either furloughed or made redundant 2/3rdsof our workforce and I'm now in charge!

I noticed further up the thread people discussing the hospitality industry... well, I've spent at least six years working in the manufacturing side of that industry and the current situation is definitely a factor in changing careers. You can get as high up as you want in this industry, but it's so precarious. I have now even forgotten why I wanted to work in my current industry rather than complete my teacher training!

Questiontime

I have been fortunate to receive an email today inviting me to an e-intrerview in a couple of weeks time, the interview is for the North East future opportunities.
I'm excited and also very nervous.
On the email it states I will be asked to complete a scenario interview before hand. Does anyone know what this consists of? They say it's a pre-recorded assessment but can anyone elaborate on this please? Just so I can factor in any extra revision that may be needed.
I have already completed he SHL tests and met the benchmark.
Thanks

Last edited:

Danny5213

I have been fortunate to receive an email today inviting me to an e-intrerview in a couple of weeks time, the interview is for the North East future opportunities.
On the email it states I will be asked to complete a scenario interview before hand. Does anyone know what this consists of? They say it's a pre-recorded assessment but can anyone elaborate on this please? Just so I can factor in any extra revision that may be needed.
Thanks
Great news QT. I also had an email today, ref the same future roles, although it was to say I will find out whether I get to the next stage by Friday. I'm taking the positive view of I'm still in with a shout. Good luck for your interview mate.

Mi&Li

Thanks

Hmm, I wonder how you have taken and passed your tests but only received your invite to interview yesterday. Network Rail are going about this one funny, I’ve had my invite a week now but they still haven’t sent me the tests.

7Paul7

Hmm, I wonder how you have taken and passed your tests but only received your invite to interview yesterday. Network Rail are going about this one funny, I’ve had my invite a week now but they still haven’t sent me the tests.

The tests are done when you apply for the first job, and scores held so you don't need to complete them every time you apply for another position.
They are a link on the invite to test email which aren't particularly obvious if I remember correctly

Mi&Li

The tests are done when you apply for the first job, and scores held so you don't need to complete them every time you apply for another position.
They are a link on the invite to test email which aren't particularly obvious if I remember correctly

I’ve done those, for other roles, but I didn’t think they applied to these roles? My invite email tells me the tests are a scenario interview, psychometric tests (inductive and deductive reasoning tests) and then your actual virtual interview on the day

Kraken

Fingers crossed for you. You will get there I am sure.

Thank you LOM, I’ve had my first rejections now, which I’ve found hugely disappointing. Funnily enough though the intensity of that feeling has confirmed to me that I’m doing the right thing and made me even more keen on the job. I think it was you talking about covering letters and that’s definitely something I will do for future applications, in addition to fine-tuning the CV and questions.

jmoz

Question for those who have been in the job a while:

In general this is a very positive forum thread about the job which is great. What are the "not so good things" about the job? There must be some...! :) What are signaller attrition rates like? And if people move out of the job, what are the most common reasons for that?

Dunc7615

There is no quota system. Candidates are assessed entirely on merit based on the application questions/SHL tests and interview scores. Interview panels are supposed to be gender-balanced where possible. The only slight nod towards a quota is that any candidate who declares a disability must be interviewed unless the hiring manager can demonstrate from the candidate's application that they do not meet the essential criteria for the role. Before a job is advertised the hiring manager has to agree a recruitment plan with HR which includes the timescales for everything from the vacancy going live in the system to the signaller finishing school. These timescales are supposed to be strict but in practice there has to be a bit of float. They generally plan on a maximum of 4 months from advertising to starting signalling school.

It would be exceptional to not appoint one of the candidates who are interviewed first time round. In fact once the interview shortlist (usually maximum 6, minimum 3 for one position) has been drawn up the other candidates are supposed to have their status changed to "reject before interview" with a reason code which then automatically generates a letter informing the candidate that they have been unsuccessful. I do not think you can then change their status back after that, it is final. I think you would have to readvertise the job.

Both are difficult courses but they focus on different skills and systems. I suppose an analogy would be like learning to fly an aeroplane versus a helicopter. The school is designed to take you from complete novice to competent signaller. A huge part of that is teaching you to understand the meaning and applications of the rules in the book.
Hi LOM
Thanks for explaining how the interview process works. I’ve recently had an application unsuccessful change to application under consideration thinking that may just be an anomaly.

Questiontime

Great news QT. I also had an email today, ref the same future roles, although it was to say I will find out whether I get to the next stage by Friday. I'm taking the positive view of I'm still in with a shout. Good luck for your interview mate.

Hi Danny,
Thats what my email said and I got an email a couple of hours later. Best of luck to you too.

I'm not entirely sure what the situational assessment is, I don't think I have completed this if I'm being honest so I will just wait and see. I have definitely done the SHL tests.
I will see what the next email says.

amanda08

Does anyone know if Peak Forest (Buxton) would be 8 or 12 hour shifts? It's on the very edge of my acceptable travel distance so doing this less days on 12 would be fine but more days on 8 would be a slog.
Thanks

lineclear

In general this is a very positive forum thread about the job which is great. What are the "not so good things" about the job? There must be some...! :) What are signaller attrition rates like? And if people move out of the job, what are the most common reasons for that?

I'm sure others will add to this, but I'll give some of my thoughts. The worst part for me (unlike most of my colleagues) is working nights. It's more than made up for by the other benefits of shift work, let alone all the other benefits of the job. You'll also be dealing with fatalities, which can be draining, but probably less so than for drivers and MOMs.

These are all personal to me, though, and others will respond differently.

Regarding signallers leaving the grade, I don't have any data, but it seems quite rare.

LOM

Some bad points -

If you have a poor roster the job can be a real slog. Same is true if you do not get on with your colleagues in the same box for whatever reason (cleanliness, timekeeping etc..). If you get a bad shift in a multi-manned location it can be really horrible, trust me.

Days when the phone rings non stop with people wanting Line Blockages, users at level crossings, chasing delays and other trivia when all you want is peace and quiet and to be left alone.

Having to make damned-if-you-do regulating decisions and trying to find margins for Line Blockages between trains.

One serious irregularity can ruin your career and if you get it very wrong with a level crossing or Line Blockage you could go to jail.

Speaking to a train driver after a fatality as mentioned above. It really can affect you, I had a particularly nasty one when I was in the grade and I still occasionally dream about that phone call.

A lot of signallers suffer from what I call 'caring too much' - that is they are so motivated to do a good job that when they see something not done well by someone else, like a poorly planned possession, they get really wound up by it. Dealing with drivers can be quite difficult at times too. Signallers and drivers are like cats and dogs.

12 hours alone in a quiet signalbox in the middle of nowhere sounds idyllic but can be utterly soul crushingly tedious.

Trying to sleep on a lovely sunny summer day because you are nightshift, when the kids are out playing in the street and all your neighbours are cutting their grass and having barbecues. Lying there in bed not sleeping knowing that you have a hellish shift ahead with lots of complicated possessions, isolations, Line Blockages etc.. booked.

And worst of all some guys are unlucky enough to have a bad LOM....

It is a good job overall but it is not all roses!

Last edited:

godfreycomplex

Established Member

In no particular order

Sometimes colleagues can grate. This is the same as pretty much any workplace, however it’s fair to say that the stereotype that signallers are prone to sometimes excessive complaint has more than a grain of truth about it. It isn’t always the case however, and it’s a vocal minority in most boxes, but it can be a little tiring. (The irony that I’m complaining now is not lost on me believe me) Obviously in single crewed boxes this isn’t so much of an issue.

Standard shift work stuff, missing out on important events outside of work and, even when you don’t, often having work at the back of your mind when you do get the chance to attend those important events

At winter on night shifts it’s very possible you won’t really see daylight for a week or more

Earlies in all their satanic forms

Taking a call from a driver after a fatality, as has been said above, is deeply unpleasant and can stay with you for a long time (as well as the other subsequent details as to what happens afterwards, which some people will be in a hurry to tell you about whether you want to know or not)

It’s quite often the case (at least in the part of the country where I live and work) that signalling locations, and those places within commutable distance of those signalling locations, are not in the most dynamic or exciting parts of the world to live. The sad reality is that few people are going to move to Didcot or Derby or Crawley in search of laughs.

Not having a fair system to change rostering arrangements (although this is more an RMT issue). As it stands 1 or 2 people can hold up the wishes of 30

During long runs of shifts it’s hard to avoid ennui, or sometimes worse, setting in

There’s a lot of negativity in the job. Some is warranted, most isn’t. Some people seem to delight in refusing to solve problems that are easily solvable.

Uniforms and dress codes. Mercifully I’ve never worked a box where they’ve been “mandated” but, necessary PPE obviously notwithstanding, they’re a ridiculously patronising idea for grown adults in 2020. The argument that it’s for the perception of professionalism in the people that encounter us is also ridiculous, why should we pander to people who are themselves being deeply unprofessional by judging by appearance.

Certain people who won’t let you have fun at work and wonder why morale becomes low.

Despite all this I genuinely love the job and working and spending time with the people I work and spend time with, and I like to think I can balance out the negatives, after all nothing’s perfect.
Anyone who’s considering it, give it a go, it’s the ride of your life.

Last edited:

Ell887

Some bad points -

If you have a poor roster the job can be a real slog. Same is true if you do not get on with your colleagues in the same box for whatever reason (cleanliness, timekeeping etc..). If you get a bad shift in a multi-manned location it can be really horrible, trust me.

Days when the phone rings non stop with people wanting Line Blockages, users at level crossings, chasing delays and other trivia when all you want is peace and quiet and to be left alone.

Having to make damned-if-you-do regulating decisions and trying to find margins for Line Blockages between trains.

One serious irregularity can ruin your career and if you get it very wrong with a level crossing or Line Blockage you could go to jail.

Speaking to a train driver after a fatality as mentioned above. It really can affect you, I had a particularly nasty one when I was in the grade and I still occasionally dream about that phone call.

A lot of signallers suffer from what I call 'caring too much' - that is they are so motivated to do a good job that when they see something not done well by someone else, like a poorly planned possession, they get really wound up by it. Dealing with drivers can be quite difficult at times too. Signallers and drivers are like cats and dogs.

12 hours alone in a quiet signalbox in the middle of nowhere sounds idyllic but can be utterly soul crushingly tedious.

Trying to sleep on a lovely sunny summer day because you are nightshift, when the kids are out playing in the street and all your neighbours are cutting their grass and having barbecues. Lying there in bed not sleeping knowing that you have a hellish shift ahead with lots of complicated possessions, isolations, Line Blockages etc.. booked.

And worst of all some guys are unlucky enough to have a bad LOM....

It is a good job overall but it is not all roses!

Great insight LOM.

It does make you realise what a responsible job it is. Looking from the outside in, it is enough to cause second thoughts. Especially not having an full understanding what the job requires.

For such incidents, would it require gross negligence for something like that to happen?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Good Points:
Everything, I honestly love my job.
Even rhe aftermath of one unders, when you’ve seen it first hand it makes it easier to “walk in their shoes” when your the first person the driver hears after the most horrific event in their life usually.

Bearable points:
SOME
colleagues who sit back and do bugger all for 12hrs, let ARS play trains then moan when it screws the over and they have actually do their job.

SOME colleagues who appear to get away with murder.

Negative points:
Day turns - hate them, I’m a night owl.
AC sealed working environment, no fresh air.
Poorly sited working location.
Poor mess facilities.
Not enough parking.
Drab decoration of the working environment.
Light natural light.
Poor set up of workstations.

But, all that is rough with the smooth overall it’s what you make of it - I book on, keep myself to myself so my job and book off.

I don’t get involved in politics or gossip, have any kind of opinion on anything and leave work in work.

LOM

Great insight LOM.

It does make you realise what a responsible job it is. Looking from the outside in, it is enough to cause second thoughts. Especially not having an full understanding what the job requires.

For such incidents, would it require gross negligence for something like that to happen?

Signaller is a very responsible job. In some respects more so than train driver.

Depending on how serious it is and what caused it an irregularity could end up with a DAP, PIP, suspension, downgrading or dismissal. Ultimately for serious incidents typically involving loss of life an individual signaller can be charged under Health & Safety Law and could face a fine or prison time.

But no one comes to work intending to be involved in an irregularity and it is certainly not something to dwell on when you are thinking of applying. Do not let the idea put you off if the job appeals to you.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Great insight LOM.

You may not cause an incident, but how you deal with one can also cause damage or lose of life.
id day the the greatest risk to a signaller, is the public at a user worked crossing, and link blockages.

Probably not the best way to look at things, but the best way to protect yourself is communication, communication, communication....did I say communication?

I had a right sod a shift on the weekend, rushed off my feet with phone calls, train movements, paperwork, line blocks and possession issues.

Don't be afraid say No, or not that the moment, call back in half hour. Your one person, one safety crucial task at a time.
Two things can’t wait...a SPAD reaction and Fatalities, pretty much everything else can wait until youve had a deep breath and a minute thinking time.

Each SB, panel or workstation will have a maximum number of line blockages at one time, if you’ve a T3 on at the same time you can say no if you feel it’ll impact on your workload.

Before allowing a MOP to use a UWC check the panel again and again before giving permission, some panels are very poorly drawn with UWC on the edges of screens on congested.

Protect yourself, comms and attention 1st 2nd and 3rd.

Aside From that is a great job !

I will just mention that the worst thing to happen to me was a fatality, which didn’t actually happen on a day I was on duty.
The female was stopped on the day i was on duty, I dealt with the response as I was the duty signaller when the REC came in. She was taken away by the police, however two days later she returned to the same spot and was successful.

As a signaller your privy to some rather graphic informatio, but it’s what you sign for - they don’t show that in the brochure lol

Ell887

Thanks LOM and Tom. I’m sure it’s similar to other professions where mistakes can lead to serious injury/fatality but being competent you don’t think of anything but doing your job safely and dealing with things as they come up. Plenty of times I’ll walk away thinking, that could’ve gone horribly wrong but then you realise how you dealt with it meant that it didn’t.

All this information is really interesting and something of a challenge that plenty would relish.

High Dyke

Established Member
Not having a fair system to change rostering arrangements (although this is more an RMT issue). As it stands 1 or 2 people can hold up the wishes of 30
As an aside. Any change to a base roster, for example going to a 12 hr from 8hr roster, should be a majority wins situation. If that isn't the case then the TU reps need to be asking why and making sure that any such issues are resolved.

We are all different in how we love or loath the job. Personally I prefer to work nights, but take the rough with the smooth. For example, I'm on my third consecutive week of late turns this week, but as a General Purpose Relief that's just how it happens. Someone has already mentioned about some of the people you may work with; like all society there are good and bad, lazy and workaholics. Whilst I do have a tendency to get involved in the politics of the railway at times, I also like to come in, do the shift and then go home safely.

Nobody sets out to make any errors or have any operational issues; sadly they do happen. The main thing is to be honest about the matter and face the music. In years gone by it was easier to cover minor infringements up, or as a manager, probably turn a blind eye to some practices; however, the job overall is a responsible and professional position and should be enjoyed.

OK, not every day is a utopian day. In some locations a long shift can be a drag. As an example the current scaled back train services due to Covid19 means that a number of locations are starting work at their normal start time, but may not see a train for two hours. One of the key things being looked for is how you occupy your time when there's very little happening.

As for turnover of staff. Many move onto other signalling roles or locations. The main ones that I know have left the company have either struggled with the job (or felt that it wasn't really for them), been sacked for a misdemeanour, left under ill health/retirement/redundancy. So basically the message is. Get a job as a signaller; do the job to the best of your abilities and training; admit your mistakes and ask for help when you need it, but most of all. Take pride in your work - even if you feel undervalued.

Last edited:

LOM

You may not cause an incident, but how you deal with one can also cause damage or lose of life.
id day the the greatest risk to a signaller, is the public at a user worked crossing, and link blockages.

You are 100% right. I always say to new signallers when I am passing them out that the two highest risk things they will ever do on the job are things they will do almost every shift - line blockages and user worked crossings.

LOM

Get a job as a signaller; do the job to the best of your abilities and training; admit your mistakes and ask for help when you need it, but most of all. Take pride in your work - even if you feel undervalued.
Great advice for anyone who aspires to the job!

MylesHSG

I work in a quiet single manned location, so my answers will be a little different to others.

The first night shift is always a struggle for me and I really hate it.
Equipment failures that have been an issue for 3+ years, but you are low priority so it is never resolved.
Other signallers leaving a mess and expecting me to clean up after them.
Drafty windows and doors that look like they were fitted by an apprentice on their first day on the job.
The loneliness, espcecially now I'm not getting any human interaction outside of work.
Track workers wanting you to bend the rules, took me a short while to learn how to properly assert my authority.