• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Chumba

I received an email from HR re the Abercynon position stating that as I met the benchmark at interview they would place my application on hold and should the offer to the successful candidate not commence they would like to consider me for the position so I assumed that meant I was a reserve candidate (but I may be wrong). That's not to say others were not being placed in reserve also and may have scored higher than me, hence they are off to signalling school.

Tough to take but I will keep at it and its experience moving forward for future applications. I am a determined type of person so I won't let a set back put me off.

I came second at two interviews and the letter specifically said I was the reserve candidate, in case the person offered the job didn’t go through with it. And I was told by the hiring manager the same.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

89jordanbj

I came second at two interviews and the letter specifically said I was the reserve candidate, in case the person offered the job didn’t go through with it. And I was told by the hiring manager the same.
As the word 'reserve' was mentioned in the phone call along with talk of pool signaller, followed by the letter from HR, there was a bit of confusion with it all but it's all been cleared up now. It's all part of the experience so looking forward now.

amanda08

hmm, interviewed last week for both resident and relief role in the same box. No answer yet but i see online one has changed to application unsuccessful and the other says Assessment 2 completed. Is this likely to mean unsuccessful too?
Thanks

Dorey

hmm, interviewed last week for both resident and relief role in the same box. No answer yet but i see online one has changed to application unsuccessful and the other says Assessment 2 completed. Is this likely to mean unsuccessful too?
Thanks

Hi Amanda,

Disclaimer: don't read too much into it, we can't be sure!

However, my experience was that I applied for neighbouring boxes and a relief position in the same area, had one interview for all 3 posts and then saw 2 out of 3 applications change to unsuccessful. This was because I had been successful for the 3rd, it just took longer for the positive confirmation to come through.
Fingers crossed!

MrsP2010

Hi Amanda,

Disclaimer: don't read too much into it, we can't be sure!

However, my experience was that I applied for neighbouring boxes and a relief position in the same area, had one interview for all 3 posts and then saw 2 out of 3 applications change to unsuccessful. This was because I had been successful for the 3rd, it just took longer for the positive confirmation to come through.
Fingers crossed!
I also had the same thing where I applied for a role in a SB but there were in fact 3 vacancies in the same box that were all the same. I didn’t get the one I applied for but once they’d created an application, I was told I was successful with one of the other roles

Rigchick

So interview done and now the waiting game. 2 more candidates we’re being done today. Got every thing crossed

Last edited:

Allaboard78

I received an email from HR re the
I received an email from HR re the Abercynon position stating that as I met the benchmark at interview they would place my application on hold and should the offer to the successful candidate not commence they would like to consider me for the position so I assumed that meant I was a reserve candidate (but I may be wrong). That's not to say others were not being placed in reserve also and may have scored higher than me, hence they are off to signalling school.

Tough to take but I will keep at it and its experience moving forward for future applications. I am a determined type of person so I won't let a set back put me off.

Keep going

Mi&Li

So I’ve just done my psychometric tests for the north east future opportunities. Found them much harder than the verbal reasoning and situational judgement tests (personal opinion). Just a word for anyone yet to do them, the inductive reasoning practice test is quite dissimilar to the real thing. The real thing being more interactive and different question styles.

Will do my scenario interview tomorrow!

leomc1627

Perfect im currently on the bury line but its due to close Christmas 22 so kings lynn would be perfect

Fezza74

I received a formal offer for a signalling role near Shrewsbury and all the background checks were completed on 28 April. I was then told it was just a date for the medical that would hold me back as Optima aren’t doing any medicals at the moment. Senior managers from NR are in discussions to work out how they can restart. I’ve heard nothing since
I was due a medical on 26th April in London, but was obviously cancelled. So I'm still waiting to hear from Optima. They did originally say they weren't doing face to face appointments until "at least July" but reading some other posts, it looks like they maybe staring again???

I was due a medical on 26th April in London, but was obviously cancelled. So I'm still waiting to hear from Optima. They did originally say they weren't doing face to face appointments until "at least July" but reading some other posts, it looks like they maybe staring again???

Yes they are doing them as I had mine last week, however I'm not sure if they are just prioritising certain vacancies at the moment.

Sammy2019

Guys

Just wondering if someone can give me some advice regarding signalling roles.

I am currently in the process of applying for a signalling position and am going through the 69 questions on the application form. Although I can easily provide evidence for a lot of the questions such as working safely, concentrating, high pressure situations and training colleagues, I do not have any supervisory experience Or experience on the railway. I have noticed that a lot of the questions relate to these these two areas. Realistically, am I likely to even be considered without this?

is it more advisable to apply for a lower grade signaller role?

Thanks.

danners430

The questions are identical regardless of the grade you apply for. It would certainly make sense to start at a lower grade and work your way up, but there's no reason you couldn't get into a higher grade if the LOM believes you to be suitable

Sammy2019

The questions are identical regardless of the grade you apply for. It would certainly make sense to start at a lower grade and work your way up, but there's no reason you couldn't get into a higher grade if the LOM believes you to be suitable

thanks mate, it’s just hard knowing how much to write for each question

Guys

Just wondering if someone can give me some advice regarding signalling roles.

I am currently in the process of applying for a signalling position and am going through the 69 questions on the application form. Although I can easily provide evidence for a lot of the questions such as working safely, concentrating, high pressure situations and training colleagues, I do not have any supervisory experience Or experience on the railway. I have noticed that a lot of the questions relate to these these two areas. Realistically, am I likely to even be considered without this?

is it more advisable to apply for a lower grade signaller role?

Thanks.

As long as you can provide good examples then there is no reason you shouldn't apply for any grade because as others have said, the questions are the same for all of them. There are questions than you can only answer if you've worked on the railway and for those you just put N/A.

Lots of people on here have got signalling jobs off the street (including myself) from grades 1 to 8 so don't worry about it, and good luck!