• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rover77

I'm having a bit of a mare/technical issues with SHL. I sat the 3 tests in Nov and sadly did not make the benchmark. I then applied for another position in feb. I was this time only sent the verbal test link. It did not work, just said I had already completed it. NR informed me this is probably because it was within the 6 month period. So I did not end up sitting the test. However it shows on NR portal as unsuccessful.
I have today tried to sit the test again. Again only sent the verbal one. Same issue as last time. NR recruitment say it's an SHL problem. SHL say it's an NR issue. I have forwarded an email from SHL to NR recruitment. They say I was sent the link to an already completed test. I need it resetting then re sending to me. Very frustrating and now in danger of going over 5 days. NR say my calls are logged so they can assure me I will be able to sit it if it goes over 5 days. My concern is that the LOM may shortlist before I even get to sit it. The actual vacancy was only live for 2 days. I am now waiting for NR to sort out.

Last edited:

Rockhopper

I'm having a bit of a mare/technical issues with SHL. I sat the 3 tests in Nov and sadly did not make the benchmark. I then applied for another position in feb. I was this time only sent the verbal test link. It did not work, just said I had already completed it. NR informed me this is probably because it was within the 6 month period. So I did not end up sitting the test. However it shows on NR portal as unsuccessful.
I have today tried to sit the test again. Again only sent the verbal one. Same issue as last time. NR recruitment say it's an SHL problem. SHL say it's an NR issue. I have forwarded an email from SHL to NR recruitment. They say I was sent the link to an already completed test. I need it resetting then re sending to me. Very frustrating and now in danger of going over 5 days. NR say my calls are logged so they can assure me I will be able to sit it if it goes over 5 days. My concern is that the LOM may shortlist before I even get to sit it. The actual vacancy was only live for 2 days. I am now waiting for NR to sort out.

Have you tried deleting the cookies on your computer?

83G/84D

Established Member
Much like recruitment for train driving the initial bar has been raised a lot over the years. As terms and conditions have improved there is *far* more competition these days. When I first became a signalman I did a very simple short arithmetic test (which I think was just a local thing) and a straightforward half hour interview. I got the job at my first attempt because not many people wanted to become a low graded signalman in those days. The pay was dreadful and the quality of staff we got by and large reflected that. We did not have policemen and firemen leaving their services in droves to join the railway.

The hoops we make people jump through have got higher because the job has become comparatively more attractive and we have the luxury of needing to thin out numbers a bit. I have every sympathy for candidates trying to get out of a pretty crappy job market into a secure well paid role these days. That is why I am here, I want to help people who aspire to join the grade because I believe we should try to get the best people in the door.

All the above is just my own opinion!

Can't argue with any of that, it was pretty much the same when I started.

Rover77

Have you tried deleting the cookies on your computer?
I have tried that thanks. SHL have checked and apparently I am being resent a completed test. As soon as I attempt open link there is a NR page saying this test has been completed.

amanda08

Just had a call to book in my medical :)
My other pre-employment checks are done so this is the final hurdle. All being well I will be on the course from 27 July :D

Gallius

I got my start date today for October and my training is taking place in Milton Keynes :D

MrsP2010

Just had a call to book in my medical :)
My other pre-employment checks are done so this is the final hurdle. All being well I will be on the course from 27 July :D
I've just had a call to arrange my medical too but unfortunately no start date as yet. At things are starting to progress though! :D

jmoz

Surprises me, especially when they send somebody from the north east to London. Train tickets are expensive!
Medicals are done by NR outsourced OH company (afaik) so I do not see any reason why they could not do your medical at a location closer to home. No harm in calling the OH provider and asking?

Medicals are done by NR outsourced OH company (afaik) so I do not see any reason why they could not do your medical at a location closer to home. No harm in calling the OH provider and asking?

When had mine back in May (as did the guy from the north east) they had only just started doing medicals again and the one in London was the only option. It seems that situation has improved now

89jordanbj

Is Crediton still a 24 hour box on a 12hr roster?

I would initially be renting during shift blocks (if I was to be successful) so just weighing up whether it is viable before applying.

Thanks

Is Crediton still a 24 hour box on a 12hr roster?

I would initially be renting during shift blocks (if I was to be successful) so just weighing up whether it is viable before applying.

Thanks
Yes all the Devon branches boxes are 12 hour rosters open 24/7.