• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRain87

What is the difference between the internal and external interviews?

In internal, you'll be asked situational questions too...i.e What would you do in this situation?

As a signaller, you should know what to do, but obviously they can't ask an external candidate this.

89jordanbj

When filling out an application there is a section which asks various questions such as 'what is your current salary' etc and asks 'if you will need to relocate for this role' ..

If my plan was to rent a property or stay in an Air Bnb during my block of shifts (as opposed to a permanent relocation) should I select 'yes' or 'no'?

I always include a cover letter outlining my relocation/rental plan regardless.

I'm just worried that if I select 'no' but HR see that my address is over an hour away that they may automatically bin my application.

Cheers

amanda08

When filling out an application there is a section which asks various questions such as 'what is your current salary' etc and asks 'if you will need to relocate for this role' ..

If my plan was to rent a property or stay in an Air Bnb during my block of shifts (as opposed to a permanent relocation) should I select 'yes' or 'no'?

I'm just worried that if I select 'no' but HR see that my address is over an hour away that they may automatically bin my application.

Cheers
I’m moving from Blackpool to Nottingham for my position. I just ticked the box on my application saying I’d relocate. I was asked about it at my interview but it was never an issue for me

LOM

What is the difference between the internal and external interviews?

External interview - Overview questions; competence questions based on times you have used non technical skills in your work/life experience to date; safety question

Internal interview - Overview questions, competence questions based on NTS signalling scenarios *or* times you have used NTS in your work/life experience to date *or* a mix of both; different safety question; technical questions (rule book/location-specific)

If it were me I would tick yes (on the basis that you will need to relocate temporarily to attend work) but do not worry if you tick no, the system is not clever enough to automatically bin applications for things like that.

Mi&Li

Does anyone have a contact number for the future opportunities recruitment?

I have a mobile phone number, from one of the on boarding team, which I don’t think she would appreciate me giving out. I think the recruitment side are separate and I only have the standard emails.

Mi&Li

I have a mobile phone number, from one of the on boarding team, which I don’t think she would appreciate me giving out. I think the recruitment side are separate and I only have the standard emails.
Ah that’s a real shame it’s a mobile number. I don’t seem to be getting a reply from the usual emails you get correspondence from. It’s a shame Network Rail’s own HR department don’t seem to know a great deal about these positions. Thanks anyway!

BrummiePete

Very much doubt there is a specific direct number for this, all recruitment is dealt with by HR so they are your point of contact and those contact details are freely available on the careers website

Also need to take into account reduced staffing levels and home working due to Covid-19

SiggysigAah

Ah that’s a real shame it’s a mobile number. I don’t seem to be getting a reply from the usual emails you get correspondence from. It’s a shame Network Rail’s own HR department don’t seem to know a great deal about these positions. Thanks anyway!
It took HR a week to reply to an email I sent them last week. I guess they are busy as recruitment picks up after being almost on hold in March, April and May.

Mi&Li

Very much doubt there is a specific direct number for this, all recruitment is dealt with by HR so they are your point of contact and those contact details are freely available on the careers website

Also need to take into account reduced staffing levels and home working due to Covid-19
HR tell you it is being handled by an outside recruitment agency who they don’t have any contact details for unfortunately. I only have emails I can reply to which I’m not hearing back. I’ll just hang on a bit longer cheers

Mi&Li

It took HR a week to reply to an email I sent them last week. I guess they are busy as recruitment picks up after being almost on hold in March, April and May.
Yeah I guess this is much the case. A combined issue of reduced staff, home working, getting back up to speed etc. Hopefully I won’t be in the dark much longer!

amanda08

Could anyone tell me the next pay date please, so I can work out what gap I need to bridge when I start.
Thank you

Midlands_lad

I notice that there are multiple signaller vacancies at Stoke at the minute.
Does anybody have any idea of the future of this box?
Grade 7 external opportunity is not to be sniffed at.....

Allaboard78

External interview - Overview questions; competence questions based on times you have used non technical skills in your work/life experience to date; safety question

Internal interview - Overview questions, competence questions based on NTS signalling scenarios *or* times you have used NTS in your work/life experience to date *or* a mix of both; different safety question; technical questions (rule book/location-specific)

If it were me I would tick yes (on the basis that you will need to relocate temporarily to attend work) but do not worry if you tick no, the system is not clever enough to automatically bin applications for things like that.

Thank you!

Cjbennett10

I don’t suppose anyone happens to know a post code for Wymondham SB? According to Network rail it’s within a 60miles radius of my location... however google maps states 100miles. I’m under the assumption that the NR sites uses the ‘how the crow flies’ method for location

Roadster 7

I don’t suppose anyone happens to know a post code for Wymondham SB? According to Network rail it’s within a 60miles radius of my location... however google maps states 100miles. I’m under the assumption that the NR sites uses the ‘how the crow flies’ method for location

LE14 2SD is the rough location of the crossing.
I've driven over the crossing a couple of times its on a little country road just out side Wymondham.

Cjbennett10

LE14 2SD is the rough location of the crossing.
I've driven over the crossing a couple of times its on a little country road just out side Wymondham.
That’s for the reply Roadster! Is that not the Melton Mowbray SB though? I’m looking for the Wymondham one... Wymondham itself looks a lot further away.... thanks mate!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I notice that there are multiple signaller vacancies at Stoke at the minute.
Does anybody have any idea of the future of this box?
Grade 7 external opportunity is not to be sniffed at.....

The idea was for the place to move to Rugby ROC, but I think it’ll be for many years to come.

High Dyke

Established Member
Medicals are done by NR outsourced OH company (afaik) so I do not see any reason why they could not do your medical at a location closer to home. No harm in calling the OH provider and asking?
Believe me, that's normal... We've had signallers sent all over England to have a medical. I had my last one in February this year at Derby (about 45 miles away). In 20 years all my railway medicals have been there, but others haven't been so fortunate.

High Dyke

Established Member
That’s for the reply Roadster! Is that not the Melton Mowbray SB though? I’m looking for the Wymondham one... Wymondham itself looks a lot further away.... thanks mate!
Postcode is correct. The village of Wymondham (Leicestershire) is about 1.5 miles away. I hadn't realised they'd built a replacement house on the site of the 'former' crossing keepers house; the building on the left, just over the crossing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-19 Google Maps.png
    Screenshot_2020-06-19 Google Maps.png
    334.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Roadster 7

There is a box in Melton right next to the station, there is also a small manned crossing just outside Wymondham, Leicestershire.
Wymondham is about 5-6 miles east of Melton, the crossing is on a little road running out of Wymondham to the south west.
There is a Wymondham in Norfolk too but im sure the job on NR site is for the one in Leicestershire.