• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

headshot119

Established Member
A bit of a girly question here but what is the uniform? Once you start in the box and also during training at signalling school? Just thinking ahead if I need to buy any smart clothes or anything ☺

At signalling school smart casual is fine (Think the rule was no football tops). Jeans and a T-Shirt was perfectly acceptable.

When in the box depends where you work, but at most places it's a Network Rail branded T-Shirt or Polo, and whatever else you want to wear.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

89jordanbj

Sorry to bore with another IST dress code question..

I have used the search function but have not been able to get a definitive answer..

In section 5 (dress code) of the IST Code of Conduct it states that shorts, ripped jeans, sports tops, tracksuits and trainers are excluded.. Yet I have seen many on here say that trainers are fine if worn with a casual shirt and jeans.

Can anybody on recent intakes clear this up?

Cheers

headshot119

Established Member
Sorry to bore with another IST dress code question..

I have used the search function but have not been able to get a definitive answer..

In section 5 (dress code) of the IST Code of Conduct it states that shorts, ripped jeans, sports tops, tracksuits and trainers are excluded.. Yet I have seen many on here say that trainers are fine if worn with a casual shirt and jeans.

Can anybody on recent intakes clear this up?

Cheers

Trainers have never been a problem for anyone I know who's recently been to school. If you're worried just get a cheap pair of black shoes from Tesco or Primark.

Amy1090

At signalling school smart casual is fine (Think the rule was no football tops). Jeans and a T-Shirt was perfectly acceptable.

When in the box depends where you work, but at most places it's a Network Rail branded T-Shirt or Polo, and whatever else you want to wear.
That’s great thank you so much ☺️

GMac1502

Where abouts are you? I'm in Scotland, Glasgow would be ideal for me as only half an hr away so need to wait and see i suppose.

LokiB

I’m not certain but maybe it depends on location and amount of applications and closing date?
I’ve applied to a few positions. Some the SJT tests were sent before the 72 hour mark and some I’m still waiting on. I presume it’s a work load thing.
Hang tight! :)
I've emailed recruitment support who have said they will send the invite to test when the vacancy closes.
Seems a bit strange to me as the job advert closed on the 13th but guess I'll just have to wait and see.

ShaneAllen

Hey All,

Just had an interview email for "Future Opportunities" in the Eastern region. How many of you have come into Network Rail via this route?
Be interesting to see, or did you just come in at standard Grade 2, 3 etc.

Cheers

jossh78

Hey All,

Just had an interview email for "Future Opportunities" in the Eastern region. How many of you have come into Network Rail via this route?
Be interesting to see, or did you just come in at standard Grade 2, 3 etc.

Cheers
Same here, I have been practicing the SHL tests this morning, inductive reasoning I am now fairly confident on, deductive not so much..need to practice more and improve my speed. I seem to remember someone mentioning that they felt the actual tests were easier than the practice tests ? That would be nice...
Excited and nervous now !

olilee2

I've just had my medical booked, which is in three weeks time, but on the email from recruitment they said I may be contacted to discuss availability for a start date only after they get my acceptance form (and do the background checks which I have now completed/sent to them), so does that mean that I may get told my start date before I've completed the medical, and I'm assuming that the start date itself has to be after I've completed the medical?

Roadster 7

I've just had my medical booked, which is in three weeks time, but on the email from recruitment they said I may be contacted to discuss availability for a start date only after they get my acceptance form (and do the background checks which I have now completed/sent to them), so does that mean that I may get told my start date before I've completed the medical, and I'm assuming that the start date itself has to be after I've completed the medical?

That is pretty much what has happened with me.
I have my medical next Monday in Birmingham I already have a start date of November with a place booked at York signalling school, that is providing my medical is OK!

Link187

Hi all, anybody who works at three bridges ROC know if all links do 2 hours on 1 hour off? What about shift times is it 6 am or 7 am? Looking for information in particular on C-link.

Any info regarding C-link will be appreciated.

Thank you

RedMum77

Hi All. I've not been on for a while as with lockdown and not knowing what was happening with my business, I wasn't really keeping an eye on vacancies. Was unsuccessful for Derby back end of 2019 and then recently Scropton although I had no correspondence for that one at all, it just changed online.

I have applied for the 3 vacancies at Derby, and also the Eastern Futures, which I am delighted to say I have been offered an Interview for! Did a happy dance when I got the email earlier, especially as it was unexpected as the previous email said I would be notified on Friday if I had an interview so that was a pleasant surprise :D

Now, I haven't got to this stage before and was nervous anyway as it's been 20 years since I've had any kind of interview, but even more so now knowing that it's virtual.

I've had a bit of a catch up on what's been posted on here recently but was after some info on what to expect with the Interview, apart from the 8NTS. Also, have had a crack at the SHL Inductive and deductive reasoning tests and they seem ridiculously hard so now I'm panicking a bit!

What can I expect with the Scenario test?

I've seen on here someone mention that an interview question might be when you got something major wrong at work and I've been wracking my brains trying to come up with an answer to this one. I've never made a major error that I can recall so unsure how to go about this if asked.

HamSandwich

Hi All. I've not been on for a while as with lockdown and not knowing what was happening with my business, I wasn't really keeping an eye on vacancies. Was unsuccessful for Derby back end of 2019 and then recently Scropton although I had no correspondence for that one at all, it just changed online.

I have applied for the 3 vacancies at Derby, and also the Eastern Futures, which I am delighted to say I have been offered an Interview for! Did a happy dance when I got the email earlier, especially as it was unexpected as the previous email said I would be notified on Friday if I had an interview so that was a pleasant surprise :D

Now, I haven't got to this stage before and was nervous anyway as it's been 20 years since I've had any kind of interview, but even more so now knowing that it's virtual.

I've had a bit of a catch up on what's been posted on here recently but was after some info on what to expect with the Interview, apart from the 8NTS. Also, have had a crack at the SHL Inductive and deductive reasoning tests and they seem ridiculously hard so now I'm panicking a bit!

I've seen on here someone mention that an interview question might be when you got something major wrong at work and I've been wracking my brains trying to come up with an answer to this one. I've never made a major error that I can recall so unsure how to go about this if asked.

Well done on getting an interview! :)

Firstly - the scenario test is about how you respond to a set of information. You will recieve some info beforehand by email and it recommends that you print it off or have it on another device to the one you're doing the interview on so that you can refer to it. I had paper and pens handy to make notes too, you'll get time to work out what you would do in that situation. I didn't know anything about signalling, it's designed for people that don't, so try not to worry too much about whether you've got it wrong or right, it's more about problem solving and reacting to information.

I wasn't asked a question about getting something major wrong at work - I was asked something else I hadn't prepared for, but honestly, as long as you have some examples for the NTS (and you can have the same example for several, that's ok) then you can't really worry about questions they may/may not ask. You are allowed to ask for a little time to think rather than trying to answer straight away.

Best of luck :)

Kraken

I did get that question I think with the ‘mistake at work’ question they are looking for how you react when you realise that it’s not all gone according to plan. Do you try and cover it up? Hope it goes away? Confess as soon as possible and work to rectify it? If you’ve never massively screwed up how about a time you made a small mistake and caught it before it went anywhere due to your amazing attention to detail?

Edit: Also forgot the most important bit, congrats and best of luck for the interview!

RedMum77

Thanks both, I'm excited and nervous in equal measure! I've been self employed for so long now that I'm totally out of practice with recruitment processes, although determined to land a signaller role.

Rover77

Hi All, quick question. I have an application that is sat at test completed and has done for over 2 months. I applied for another signaller position yesterday and uploaded my CV again with a few ammendments/improvements. Will this new CV be the one used for both positions now?

NewBoots

I got a similar email to Redmum earlier today, I haven't felt this nervous/keen for an interview in a long time (a little over 17 years in fact).

I've got about a month to practice some tests and brush up on my interview technique.

danners430

Question folks if I may, does anyone know which boxes the Kingussie relief covers? I'm assuming Kingussie, Dalwhinnie and Blair Atholl, but if the railway has taught me anything it's never to assume!

MrsP2010

Question gents if I may, does anyone know which boxes the Kingussie relief covers? I'm assuming Kingussie, Dalwhinnie and Blair Atholl, but if the railway has taught me anything it's never to assume!
I can’t answer your question but I can check who it was addressed to? :s

RedMum77

I got a similar email to Redmum earlier today, I haven't felt this nervous/keen for an interview in a long time (a little over 17 years in fact).

I've got about a month to practice some tests and brush up on my interview technique.

I have been given an interview date of 3rd September. Good luck!

HamSandwich

Best of luck - I read through all of this thread, made notes into a word doc, then made notes by hand from them on stuff that seemed important. I'm sure you've already been through this thread already though, I found it super helpful. The interviewers really put me at ease, and that helped me to relax. :) Good luck!

Kraken

Question folks if I may, does anyone know which boxes the Kingussie relief covers? I'm assuming Kingussie, Dalwhinnie and Blair Atholl, but if the railway has taught me anything it's never to assume!

I cannot help with your question but those boxes sound absolutely stunning from visiting the Cairngorms as a child - I’m deliberately not going to look at what they are actually like to maintain my mental image.
:)

danners430

I cannot help with your question but those boxes sound absolutely stunning from visiting the Cairngorms as a child - I’m deliberately not going to look at what they are actually like to maintain my mental image.
:)
Trust me, your mental image won't be far off... Having volunteered at the Strathspey Railway for seven years, I know what it's like to work in the Cairngorms... I haven't got bored of the scenery yet!

jossh78

I have been given an interview date of 3rd September. Good luck!
September 3rd for me as well, good luck to you. Hopefully NR can accommodate all of us on here and in a few months time we will be training together.
Thinking about the NTS examples for the interview, I used some good examples in my previous applications which required the 69 questions to be answered, this “Future Opportunities“ role only needed the 8 question application ( although I spent nearly as long composing my answers ).
I guess my question to anyone who is willing to help is, do you think it would be ok to use some of my previous answers on the 69 question applications as NTS examples in the interview ?
Thank you for your advice in advance.