• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Pancakes84

Re East Mids futures:

1. I've sent off my I.D to the (amended) recruitment email address but received no acknowledgement - is this normal?

2. I am yet to receive invites to the scenario-based test or the reasoning test, and yet reading this thread it seems like everyone has been flying through them. Is it just a waiting game?

On the careers portal, the last update from 24 August says "Assessment 2 Scheduled", but it's radio silence from NR.

My interview is 17 Sept, so perhaps I am part of a later batch?

Funnily enough, I did complete some aptitude tests exactly one year ago (01/09/2019 and 02/09/2019) but I can't recall their purpose. The name "SHL" does ring a bell, and I seem to recall some numerical and literacy tests, but that seems a far cry from scenario-based and inductive/deductive reasoning.

hello,

I also received no reply from sending off my identification, so hoping that’s also normal.
You receive an invite to your scenario test and psychometric tests a week before your interview, so probably next week for you.

good luck

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Macca89

hello,

I also received no reply from sending off my identification, so hoping that’s also normal.
You receive an invite to your scenario test and psychometric tests a week before your interview, so probably next week for you.

good luck

Yeh I also got no reply when sending my ID off, and I too left it late

Well I got it sent off on the 28th but not until like 9pm

I don’t think it’s anything major though, especially if the interview for some of us isn’t until mid too late September

amanda08

Does anyone happen to have the address or postcode of Ashwell SB (Oakham)? Off there tomorrow and neither my sat nav or google seem to be able to tell me.
Thanks

MrsP2010

I'm also starting at westwood next monday. Have you not had correspondence yet regarding accommodation? I am booked in to stay at the training centre for the first four weeks, but then a hotel after that.
I've now had the details through and I'm also at the training centre for 4 weeks and then a hotel - Village Coventry

GMac1502

I've now had the details through and I'm also at the training centre for 4 weeks and then a hotel - Village Coventry
Thats good you finally know where your staying, i also start on Monday and dont know yet where i'll be staying come the 14th, i'm going to Glasgow though.

Kraken

Does anyone happen to have the address or postcode of Ashwell SB (Oakham)? Off there tomorrow and neither my sat nav or google seem to be able to tell me.
Thanks

Hi there, I had a drive past the other day, try LE15 7SP. There’s two LCs in close proximity with limited options for turning around if you, ahem, happen to get the wrong one.

Roadster 7

Thanks

LE15 7SP,
Its on whissendine road just outside ashwell. It on the road between Ashwell and whissendine

Edit:
Kraken beat me to it!

headshot119

Established Member
Great thanks. I had a quick look online and it does look good

My colleague who went to Coventry for IST reckoned it was really nice, and a few others who've stayed there on none IST courses have said it was good as well. Not sure how Covid-19 etc will affect things mind.

MrsP2010

My colleague who went to Coventry for IST reckoned it was really nice, and a few others who've stayed there on none IST courses have said it was good as well. Not sure how Covid-19 etc will affect things mind.
I believe it's not too bad. We don't have to wear face coverings and lunch is brought to our desks. Other than that I think it's just the "normal" stuff

headshot119

Established Member
I believe it's not too bad. We don't have to wear face coverings and lunch is brought to our desks. Other than that I think it's just the "normal" stuff

Ah sorry, I was referring to the hotel rather than in the training center.

High Dyke

Established Member
Have you got your train tickets sorted?

Picked up my Rule Book today, by the beard of Zeus!
Hopefully, they won't give you a printed copy of the current National Operating Instructions (NOI) - It's 220 pages. The NOI is the accompanying document for all the bits that don't fit in the rule book anymore.

Ben123

Hi all,

Appreciate this might be a piece of string question, but does anyone know the vague timeline they are following at the moment?
For example I took my SHL tests last Wednesday, when will I know if I have passed them?
Also my interview is tomorrow, how long do you usually wait to hear back?
New to all of this so just trying to ease nerves.
Many Thanks

Rockhopper

Could be months, could be the day after. Waiting is part of the game with NR recruitment.
Having said that you won't have an interview if you've failed the SHL tests unless I'm missing something.

RedMum77

I think maybe Ben means the deductive reasoning SHL test for Futures? That and the scenario video interview are the week before interview, I did mine at the weekend and have interview tomorrow. Apologies if not and I've got it wrapped round my neck!

CK1

Hello noob here only just found this after taking my Eastern Region future opps deductive and scenario tests. Less said about them the better :oops: just a question about if by some miracle I fluke and get in and then get to training school, I read up thread that some don't pass the school training. Then what happens? You've applied to be a signaller and don't pass the exams are you off searching for a new job? sorry if it's already been answered. Great informative thread btw, thanks.
Just done my deductive test, not confident either, doing the scenario one tomorrow when I'm not as flustered... my interview is the 10th for the same positions as you fingers crossed for us both

Cumbo92

I start with NR on the 7th and signalling school on 14th but am still unaware where I may be going for signalling school I know my LOM is off as he called before his A/L so I am reporting to someone different on 7th to get my rule books and things! So I’m still unsure where I’ll be heading!

GMac1502

I start with NR on the 7th and signalling school on 14th but am still unaware where I may be going for signalling school I know my LOM is off as he called before his A/L so I am reporting to someone different on 7th to get my rule books and things! So I’m still unsure where I’ll be heading!
I was in the same boat, i just found out late on Friday night where i'm going for signalling school (Glasgow) but i don't know where i'll be staying yet as of the 14th. I'm sure we'll both find out soon enough.

Cumbo92

I was in the same boat, i just found out late on Friday night where i'm going for signalling school (Glasgow) but i don't know where i'll be staying yet as of the 14th. I'm sure we'll both find out soon enough.
Yeah I feel I won’t find out until the 7th with my LOM being on holiday! But yeah he rang to give me details of who I’ll be seeing and just to say he’s off for that week and things and at the time he said he was unsure where the course would be!

I’d rather it not be Glasgow haha long way from Sheffield!

_Odo_

After 14 attempts over the last year with no luck, I'm delighted to say that I've finally been offered a grade 2 position near Lincoln. This was actually as a result of the previous North East recruitment drive I took part in, rather than the current East Midlands one. I was one of the 'limbo leftovers' that had been told we did really well in the recruitment process but there was nothing available within a commutable distance and they would get in touch later in the year. True to their word, they did, and I have to say I'm over the moon after what has been a bit of a roller coaster ride. I'm not quite celebrating just yet because I still have a medical to get through, but if that goes well then I've been told I'll be starting signalling school in Derby at the beginning of November after a week at my new box. I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to provide some really great information on this huge thread, which has been a massive help in getting me to this stage. And best of luck to all of those who are going through the assessments and interviews at the moment.

I've got three question if anyone knows and is kind enough to answer. Firstly, has anyone had to go to Doncaster (10 Pound Walk) for their medical, and if so, where exactly is the location? I've been onto street view on google maps with the address I was given and it's really not obvious where on that rather long road it is. I'm assuming it's not in the concrete sleeper factory.

Also, does anybody know anything about signalling school in Derby? All I know so far is that it will be at 'Mercia House'. I've read this whole thread from start to finish and I don't think I remember hearing anyone ever mention going there for signalling school, so maybe it's a new location for it.

And finally, I've been told I'll be on the Skegness to Nottingham line. I'm not exactly sure which box because what I was told on the phone didn't exactly match up with what I received in my documentation - it could be Ancaster or it could be Rauceby, and I'm sure I'll find out which soon enough. I wondered if anyone knew anything about that line and what I might expect in terms of shift patterns, or any other general information about those locations? Thanks!

GMac1502

Yeah I feel I won’t find out until the 7th with my LOM being on holiday! But yeah he rang to give me details of who I’ll be seeing and just to say he’s off for that week and things and at the time he said he was unsure where the course would be!

I’d rather it not be Glasgow haha long way from Sheffield!
Haha certainly is a bit of a trek, i'm of the same opinion i'll find everything out next week, good luck for Monday