• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

SirDigby69

Hi All. Just received the dreaded email that I will not be getting interviewed for the a north West opportunities vacancy. I am as always gutted this is the 6th now over a 2 year period. Unfortunately opportunities are few and far between in my neck of the woods and relocation in not an option as I wouldn't move kids out of school. I spent days tweaking my application and CV. Now I'm not sure what to do. I've asked for feedback but not sure I will get any due to volume of applications they have to deal with. I thought I'd be an ideal candidate, I was a Prison Officer for 13 years and I am currently head of year in a high school. I will keep on trying. Jusy wish there were more opportunities up here.
Hi Rover, Likewise I actually re-applied to the separate Hellifield and Settle positions when they came up and received the exact same email for both job adverts. I also sent an email asking for feedback and they replied relatively quickly. Apparently, the feedback on my application was very positive however other applicant scored higher on the application. They mentioned about potential future opportunities in the area and keeping but seems very generic response all in all. Like you this also isn’t my first application for a Signaller position and feel a bit lost with what I can do to better my chances. Just trying to keep my chin up I guess and keep and eye out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rockhopper

From a post ages ago when you ask for feedback they just select one response from a drop down list.

Rover77

Hi Rover, Likewise I actually re-applied to the separate Hellifield and Settle positions when they came up and received the exact same email for both job adverts. I also sent an email asking for feedback and they replied relatively quickly. Apparently, the feedback on my application was very positive however other applicant scored higher on the application. They mentioned about potential future opportunities in the area and keeping but seems very generic response all in all. Like you this also isn’t my first application for a Signaller position and feel a bit lost with what I can do to better my chances. Just trying to keep my chin up I guess and keep and eye out.

Hard luck. I feel your pain. All we can do is keep urging away. I literally check the website for vacancies as soon as I wake up every day. Just wish there were more in the area. Best of luck going forward.

SB84

Best of luck for it.

I know how you feel and I suspect most people who go through the course do as well. I honestly thought I’d fail, but I ended up getting in the 90s, so all that worrying was for nothing.

The anticipation for me was actually worse than doing the exam. I’m sure you do, but make sure you know your definitions off by heart. If you do, that’s a reasonable amount of marks already.

Don’t feel rushed in the exam and always double check your answers and read the questions multiple times to ensure you’ve understood it. Also, most people finish before the time’s up. I’d suggest you stay as long as you feel necessary to ensure you’ve not made any silly mistakes. For the sake of 10-20 minutes sat outside doing nothing, you could pick up a few more marks.
Great advice, thank you!

LAX54

Established Member
I'll just say I have been invited to a interview that is over 60 mins away, more like 3 hours away, so I don't think it's like that here in England at least.
NR are looking at 60 to 75 mins maximum from door to box, or if 12 hour shifts, 14 hours maximum door to door, although this is not new, it was about in BR days, I lived in Norwich and had an interview for Colchester PSB in 1988, the first question was.. 'Are you prepared to move closer' ? The answer was of course 'yes', they then said that's good, if I had said no, I would not have been considered.

Just had the news that I've got the job! I've been accepted onto the first Operations Apprenticeship (Signalling) with NR, to be based at Colchester! Subject to checks etc. should be starting sometime in May! Thanks to all those who post to this thread, it's a brilliant resource! (To those still hunting, there are jobs there, don't lose hope, something comes up when you least expect it!)
So what job have you got at Colchester ? :) also this week, or next week the new Training Centre at Ipswich opens, which they say is all singing all dancing ! (just over the road from Ipswich Stn)

Last edited:

Highlandspring

Established Member
Soeaking of all things Anglia, is anyone here involved in the Anglia Operating Model trial? I understand it proposes some pretty radical changes to the SSM grade and the way signallers are supervised/managed.

SWTurbo

NR are looking at 60 to 75 mins maximum from door to box, or if 12 hour shifts, 14 hours maximum door to door, although this is not new, it was about in BR days, I lived in Norwich and had an interview for Colchester PSB in 1988, the first question was.. 'Are you prepared to move closer' ? The answer was of course 'yes', they then said that's good, if I had said no, I would not have been considered.

So what job have you got at Colchester ? :) also this week, or next week the new Training Centre at Ipswich opens, which they say is all singing all dancing ! (just over the road from Ipswich Stn)
The “official title” is Signaller (Apprentice) but I applied through the operations apprenticeship scheme! (Sent you a PM also!)

SB84

I passed!
So chuffed.
Thanks to everyone who gave me some words of encouragement, tips and advice, very much appreciated.
On to the next observation!

LAX54

Established Member
The “official title” is Signaller (Apprentice) but I applied through the operations apprenticeship scheme! (Sent you a PM also!)
Nice one, you will not be disappointed with Colchester Box

mattsfc

Thank you for the info, I’m going to apply for the Girvan job today as the main thing for me just now is getting my foot in the door and if it means living in digs for a bit then it will be worth it in the long run.
The post is slightly further than Girvan, based at Barrhill. Not all the much further it’s only 12 miles but not a great road. Best of luck. I’ve applied for this box a few times but never had any luck.

Nice one, you will not be disappointed with Colchester Box
From my understanding on how the scheme works, I don’t think we will actually work the signals where we have applied to. I think they’re more as ‘base’ for us and that when the 12 months is over, we then apply for signalling roles within the area

Csb362

The post is slightly further than Girvan, based at Barrhill. Not all the much further it’s only 12 miles but not a great road. Best of luck. I’ve applied for this box a few times but never had any luck.
Thank you, I applied yesterday and been told we will hear more by the 9th of April, I’ve done a bit of homework in regards to the exact location and digs in the area so now to hope for a little luck.

SWTurbo

From my understanding on how the scheme works, I don’t think we will actually work the signals where we have applied to. I think they’re more as ‘base’ for us and that when the 12 months is over, we then apply for signalling roles within the area
Ahhhhh, makes sense! Sent you a PM!

Jay_123

Have they opened any new signalling schools by any chance? I know there was talk of opening one in manchester

OMGImadeit

Has anyone recently completed or currently doing the TCB VDU course at IST? We are two weeks in. Just wondered how people found it and any tips you can give. I hear a lot about acronyms but so far we have had none?

Qball

Has anyone recently completed or currently doing the TCB VDU course at IST? We are two weeks in. Just wondered how people found it and any tips you can give. I hear a lot about acronyms but so far we have had none?
Ask your WDS for them it's a double sided a4 page. They should've given you them by now. I did AB course so can't comment on what the course is like but what I would say is when answering questions on the quizzes make sure your as close to rule book will help in the exams.

Ps. Revise as much as possible but also take time to chill out.

Csb362

Is anybody able to give me an example of the shift pattern for Barrhill? I have had a look at the box opening times and I’m presuming it is an 8hr rota going by the times and a single shift covering the full Sunday.

nom de guerre

Rostering Q for current signallers:

I was spare (but not required, at this point) for Good Friday and our roster clerk has now booked me off (the first time this has happened in my career!).

- Would a relief signaller who is spare on a bank holiday be entitled to LROP/HROP?

- What am I entitled to if Booked Off?

- Are Rosters entitled to change me to Booked Off vice Spare, or are they trying to pull a fast one?

GingerRH

I was spare (but not required, at this point) for Good Friday and our roster clerk has now booked me off (the first time this has happened in my career!).

- Would a relief signaller who is spare on a bank holiday be entitled to LROP/HROP?

- Are Rosters entitled to change me to Booked Off vice Spare, or are they trying to pull a fast one?

If you’re spare, you would be classed as working, so would be entitled to choose either HROP/LROP.

If you’re booked off, you’re only entitled to flat rate as you’re having the day off on the company, but still being paid for it. If you’re RD and not doing overtime, you get LROP I believe.

Last point, I have an opinion but not sure if it’s 100% correct so won’t dive too deep. If you’re spare, are the company saying there’s no requirement for you to work? If so, then booking you off is probably the correct thing. However, if your LRPs state you must attend your workplace if spare, then no they can’t book you off as usually
you would still go in. Remember though, this isn’t fact, it’s merely my interpretation and opinion!

Last edited:

lineclear

When booked off on a bank holiday, you are entitled to neither LROP or HROP. (LROP would get you a lieu day, whereas you're getting the bank holiday itself off.) You'll simply be paid your base salary as normal.

nom de guerre

When booked off on a bank holiday, you are entitled to neither LROP or HROP. (LROP would get you a lieu day, whereas you're getting the bank holiday itself off.) You'll simply be paid your base salary as normal.
If you’re booked off, you’re only entitled to flat rate as you’re having the day off on the company, but still being paid for it. If you’re RD and not doing overtime, you get LROP I believe.

Ta - that's what I thought re Booked Off.

So are Rosters allowed to do this? Is there some sort of bank holiday-specific loophole, and if so, where can I find it (I can't see anything in the NRP)?

I don't want to be BO and haven't asked to be BO. I want to remain Spare, as per the original roster (which is 99.9% likely to amount to a day off, but at a preferential rate). For context, I've been Spare around 25 times so far this year and I've had to remain available and work-ready on each of these dates in case emergency cover is required. I haven't been booked off for any of those shifts, so why is Good Friday being treated as a special case?

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Ta - that's what I thought re Booked Off.

So are Rosters allowed to do this? Is there some sort of bank holiday-specific loophole, and if so, where can I find it (I can't see anything in the NRP)?

I don't want to be BO and haven't asked to be BO. I want to remain Spare, as per the original roster (which is 99.9% likely to amount to a day off, but at a preferential rate). For context, I've been Spare around 25 times so far this year and I've had to remain available and work-ready on each of these dates in case emergency cover is required. I haven't been booked off for any of those shifts, so why is Good Friday being treated as a special case?
Plain and simply Good Friday is a public holiday.

Yes they are entitled to show you as Booked Off, if they've given you the required 48 hours notice. It will be paid at basic rate, as mentioned above.