• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Rail-noob

Very quick question and i’m sure its already on the forum somewhere so apologies! How much would a grade 7 earn with allowances on 12 hour roster without overtime? thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wingnut1982

Very quick question and i’m sure its already on the forum somewhere so apologies! How much would a grade 7 earn with allowances on 12 hour roster without overtime? thanks
I think it depends on the roster but I’ve worked out that if you multiply your base rate by about 1.35 you get what you’d roughly be earning.

Here’s a pic of the pay scales so if you know what days/nights you’d be working within your 4 week cycle you can fairly accurately work it out (for 2020 pay band so there may be a small increase for 2021/22 actuals)…

1630775044296.jpeg

ArchangelA

There was a question on if you are willing to relocate if outside of the 60 mins commuting distance, I pressed Yes Happy to relocate and I'm still in the running (fingers crossed).

In other news Signaller Grade 2 jobs for round Manchester just gone up, bit strange on the wording, i'll quote it below;

They don't state a Training wage like others have of around 26k, only this 29k, do you think that is a error or?

Link for anyone intrested
I've noticed that they're leaning more toward recruiting for talent pools now on a FTC where you're expected to apply for a job before the FTC expires. Or is it me?

High Dyke

Established Member
What are the normal rules for being released?
Some managers apply the '12 month rule'. This is an unwritten thing where you aren't expected to move locations within your first year at location A. However, some managers also completely disregard that and move new signallers between boxes in their own area as they think fit.

The latest development I'm aware of is qualified Signallers applying for a promotion, but for an FTC position, being told they wouldn't be released.

Mark1503

I think it depends on the roster but I’ve worked out that if you multiply your base rate by about 1.35 you get what you’d roughly be earning.

Here’s a pic of the pay scales so if you know what days/nights you’d be working within your 4 week cycle you can fairly accurately work it out (for 2020 pay band so there may be a small increase for 2021/22 actuals)…

View attachment 102201
That’s great, thanks

LeGrimpeur

I'd appreciate any info about the Victoria role currently advertised. I know it's moving to three bridges.

Is it 8 or 12hr shifts,
How often do you work nights,
is it a nice place to work etc thanks

Also is there any info on the
1hr scenario assessment
1hr psychometric test
1hr competency interview
That are listed as the next stages?

I applied for the above role but the initial application was different to those I've done previously.
Read back through and found some answers.
Looks like Victoria is 8hr shifts.

I found the info on the new tests.

Is 3Bridges 12h shifts?
Is there a London Weighting added to the stated salary at Victoria?

Thank you.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Read back through and found some answers.
Looks like Victoria is 8hr shifts.

I found the info on the new tests.

Is 3Bridges 12h shifts?
Is there a London Weighting added to the stated salary at Victoria?

Thank you.
Three Bridges ASC has 8 hour and 12 hour links
Three Bridges ROC is all 12s now I believe

Victoria would be full London weighting yes

LeGrimpeur

@godfreycomplex thanks for the info much appreciated.

The other question I had if anyone can answer. Do the new tests stay on your file for a period of time like the old shl. Or do we take tests for each application?

Thanks

cowboysfan

I've noticed that they're leaning more toward recruiting for talent pools now on a FTC where you're expected to apply for a job before the FTC expires. Or is it me?
This is how I was recruited on FTC and trained and had to find a perm role. I got quite lucky a LOM give me a chance working a box for experience(other people in my cohort still have no experience almost 12months on). It's interesting how they do the talent pool thing as in the Eastern region they were 12month FTC but in North West they are perm contracts makes no sense. Being on that FTC does leave you with abit of uncertainty, luckily I managed to get a perm role recently.

Alex95

This is how I was recruited on FTC and trained and had to find a perm role. I got quite lucky a LOM give me a chance working a box for experience(other people in my cohort still have no experience almost 12months on). It's interesting how they do the talent pool thing as in the Eastern region they were 12month FTC but in North West they are perm contracts makes no sense. Being on that FTC does leave you with abit of uncertainty, luckily I managed to get a perm role recently.

Are all the new posts like this? I applied for a job at a specific location - no mention of it being a traineeship (it is a grade 2). But the operator on the phone told me that everybody attends signalling school now, then your box is assigned.

Does this mean no job is guaranteed after the training? Do you get paid whilst you wait for vacancies? It feels odd to be leaving a secure job for no guarantee?

H24

Guys, I have been sent a contract for the signaller role and I have not seen any 12 months commitment requirement written within the terms. Therefore, surely, this “unwritten” rule can not be enforced or it will lead to grievances being submitted against the LOCs.

cowboysfan

Are all the new posts like this? I applied for a job at a specific location - no mention of it being a traineeship (it is a grade 2). But the operator on the phone told me that everybody attends signalling school now, then your box is assigned.

Does this mean no job is guaranteed after the training? Do you get paid whilst you wait for vacancies? It feels odd to be leaving a secure job for no guarantee?
All new posts are not all like this as far as I'm aware. I joined basically as a contingent signaller when COVID hit, you do get paid while you are waiting for a vacancy. While I never came to the end of my fixed term the general consensus was why would they spend all the money training you just to be let go.

fatlad68

Guys, I have been sent a contract for the signaller role and I have not seen any 12 months commitment requirement written within the terms. Therefore, surely, this “unwritten” rule can not be enforced or it will lead to grievances being submitted against the LOCs.

To be fair if you are in Manchester and have agreed to relocate to your offered job in TVSC it is hardly unreasonable that they want you to remain for a minimum of 12 months. There have been so many in the past who promise to relocate to get the job, time and money is spent training them then they just leave when they have access to the internal list and find something closer to where they come from originally. To be honest if you are coming straight off the street into a.grade 9 job it will take 9 - 12 months to pass out anyway. Why take a job so far away if it is already in your mind that you don't really want that location and want to be able to move as quick as you can? Fire in a grievance if you want but I doubt it will go anywhere, it's worrying to see you thinking this way before you even start the job.

H24

To be fair if you are in Manchester and have agreed to relocate to your offered job in TVSC it is hardly unreasonable that they want you to remain for a minimum of 12 months. There have been so many in the past who promise to relocate to get the job, time and money is spent training them then they just leave when they have access to the internal list and find something closer to where they come from originally. To be honest if you are coming straight off the street into a.grade 9 job it will take 9 - 12 months to pass out anyway. Why take a job so far away if it is already in your mind that you don't really want that location and want to be able to move as quick as you can? Fire in a grievance if you want but I doubt it will go anywhere, it's worrying to see you thinking this way before you even start the job.

With all due respect, that is why employment contracts are made. The contract sets out commitments as an employer and an employee. It is perfectly normal for employees to seek locations that fit their own personal circumstances.

Secondly, there is no reason for you to worry or come to any conclusions. Having worked in various industries over the years, I would expect grievances if there are differences in the interpretation of “commitment” between an employee and their manager. Especially when it is not written in the employment contract.

ArchangelA

Just hoe easy is it to transfer internally, or apply for another job as signaller? Do NEW make signaller go through all the testing and interview/ medical again?

Last edited by a moderator:

lineclear

With all due respect, that is why employment contracts are made. The contract sets out commitments as an employer and an employee. It is perfectly normal for employees to seek locations that fit their own personal circumstances.

Secondly, there is no reason for you to worry or come to any conclusions. Having worked in various industries over the years, I would expect grievances if there are differences in the interpretation of “commitment” between an employee and their manager. Especially when it is not written in the employment contract.
Although not directly relevant here, you should note that there is more to your entitlements (and responsibilities) than your employment contract. Get hold of a copy of the NRP (National Rostering Principles) and PTR&R (Promotion, Transfer, Redundancy and Redeployment) to start with if you're interested, and speak to your union rep.

Regarding this 'one year rule' that occasionally gets mentioned here, I doubt that there's anything written down about it. However, when you have applied for a promotion and then been appointed to the role, your current LOM has no obligation to immediately release you, and almost certainly won't. If you haven't been released three months after the closing date for applications for your new role, your are entitled to (and should) claim your new grade from that date.

ArchangelA said:
Just hoe easy is it to transfer internally, or apply for another job as signaller? Do NEW make signaller go through all the testing and interview/ medical again?
You find a job and apply for it (including your CV and answering the application questions). The top few applicants (which may be all of them if not many people applied) will be invited to interview. The role will be offered to the person with the highest interview score.

ArchangelA

Although not directly relevant here, you should note that there is more to your entitlements (and responsibilities) than your employment contract. Get hold of a copy of the NRP (National Rostering Principles) and PTR&R (Promotion, Transfer, Redundancy and Redeployment) to start with if you're interested, and speak to your union rep.

Regarding this 'one year rule' that occasionally gets mentioned here, I doubt that there's anything written down about it. However, when you have applied for a promotion and then been appointed to the role, your current LOM has no obligation to immediately release you, and almost certainly won't. If you haven't been released three months after the closing date for applications for your new role, your are entitled to (and should) claim your new grade from that date.

You find a job and apply for it (including your CV and answering the application questions). The top few applicants (which may be all of them if not many people applied) will be invited to interview. The role will be offered to the person with the highest interview score.
Thank for the reply

Highlandspring

Established Member

H24

Thanks for the advice.

fatlad68

Lineclear is spot on there is much more to your conditions of service than are written in the contract, you will find that there are specific agreements between the RMT and NR on an are and local level as well.

The contract they give you is a generic one that will cover you for as long as you remain with NR unless you make the higher echelons of management and get a personal contract. You will not get a new contract for each promotion or change of location.

Just be aware that they are in no rush to release anyone who wants to move back home after promising a commitment to relocate just to get in the door. We are so short you normally have to wait for them to recruit and train a replacement which can be 12 months in itself. I know one bloke who waited 2 years as the trainees they kept recruiting kept leaving before they had passed out. This is why they now want a 12 month commitment.

I can understand why people do it but it is bloody annoying as a signaller having to waste time and effort training people we know are just going to jump ship at the earliest opportunity.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Just be aware that they are in no rush to release anyone who wants to move back home after promising a commitment to relocate just to get in the door. We are so short you normally have to wait for them to recruit and train a replacement which can be 12 months in itself. I know one bloke who waited 2 years as the trainees they kept recruiting kept leaving before they had passed out. This is why they now want a 12 month commitment.

I can understand why people do it but it is bloody annoying as a signaller having to waste time and effort training people we know are just going to jump ship at the earliest opportunity.

Amen brother!

headshot119

Established Member
If you haven't been released three months after the closing date for applications for your new role, your are entitled to (and should) claim your new grade from that date.

I'll just correct this here, the rule is 13 weeks from the date the job is advertised. This was agreed nationally with the RMT around 2 years ago.

wingnut1982

£60k ish depending on shift pattern
(Includes rostered sundays)

allowances also depend on how close to London you are and if you qualify for inner/outer London supplement etc
Do you get paid the shift allowances prior to being ‘passed out’ but just at the grade below?

Do you get paid the shift allowances prior to being ‘passed out’ but just at the grade below?
Shift allowances are basically overtime, nights or Sundays, so unless you have to do some specific training overnight or on a Sunday - unlikely but possible, maybe to see a few possessions for example - then no, just basic pay at a grade below.