• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Scooby123

Does anyone know when you should expect to receive the confirmation of which signalling school & instructions for your first day? My start date is scheduled for the 31st Jan and just wondered if I should be chasing up or just waiting as it’s only 3 weeks away? The last communication simply said they would be in touch in due course.
I got mine mid week the week before I was due to start signalling school on the Monday. So I wouldn’t worry just yet

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SignalShez

I got mine mid week the week before I was due to start signalling school on the Monday. So I wouldn’t worry just yet
Ah brilliant! Thank you ☺️ im sure I read on this thread that they prefer you not to drive to training. I was trying to find it but can’t now! Is this right?

NapoleoNik

Howdy!

Is anyone else starting signalling school in Bristol on February 14th? That appears to be the day and location where my training commences.

Scooby123

Ah brilliant! Thank you ☺️ im sure I read on this thread that they prefer you not to drive to training. I was trying to find it but can’t now! Is this right?
I personally drove. I found it easier as then I could leave home at whatever time suited me on the Sunday and come home whenever too. Nothing ever got mentioned to me about this not being preferred. You can claim back your mileage too

Yorks1179

It's really down to your LOM. Mine certainly had no problem with two of us driving to and from IST.

SignalShez

I personally drove. I found it easier as then I could leave home at whatever time suited me on the Sunday and come home whenever too. Nothing ever got mentioned to me about this not being preferred. You can claim back your mileage too
It will 100% be easier for me. It’s 2.5 hours to York and I always overpack so not looking forward to carrying it all on public transport

It's really down to your LOM. Mine certainly had no problem with two of us driving to and from IST.
Great! Hopefully it will be okay. Thank you

Trickster10

Anybody who’s been on IST.....

How does it work in terms of timesheets?
How many hours per week are booked?
If local enough to travel did you book travel time/fuel expenses?

Thanks

RailNoob

Thanks
Hi Trickster,

You sign a register on the monday and then everyday after to show your attendance which I then believe the WDS emails to the relevant person in terms of hours it was usually 9-4 for the course but we had 2 groups for sim sessions and alternated early and late sessions weekly so for example group 1 would get in before class and group 2 after class one week then change the week after this is all entirely upto your own desigression but I strongly suggest you rack the hours up as much as you can on the sim & dont be afraid to work the back desk also.. in terms of living locally a couple of our lads lived local to the training centre I dont believe they claimed for travel but did stay in the hotel with us on the run up to week 6 & 10 to focus on the revision without the distraction of home life!

Qball

Thanks
No timesheets

35 hours unless you come in on a Sunday then 4-6 hours at sunday rate.

If you come by train you'll normally be sent an email with a code to pick up ticket. Request this from rosters. If you're coming in your car then claim mileage through E-business.

Trickster10

Hi Trickster,

You sign a register on the monday and then everyday after to show your attendance which I then believe the WDS emails to the relevant person in terms of hours it was usually 9-4 for the course but we had 2 groups for sim sessions and alternated early and late sessions weekly so for example group 1 would get in before class and group 2 after class one week then change the week after this is all entirely upto your own desigression but I strongly suggest you rack the hours up as much as you can on the sim & dont be afraid to work the back desk also.. in terms of living locally a couple of our lads lived local to the training centre I dont believe they claimed for travel but did stay in the hotel with us on the run up to week 6 & 10 to focus on the revision without the distraction of home life!
Thanks for the response railnoob, already a NWR employee hence why I asked about timesheets as currently do it via idevice but will be handing this back when I move on.

Really insightful information

No timesheets

35 hours unless you come in on a Sunday then 4-6 hours at sunday rate.

If you come by train you'll normally be sent an email with a code to pick up ticket. Request this from rosters. If you're coming in your car then claim mileage through E-business.
Thanks Qball, coming in on Sundays is that dependant on training centre as I imagine some are shut on weekends. Sunday working would suit me to get some extra sim practice.

Amberk

medical all done, just the wait now. is anyone/has been in wooley or gainsbrough central boxes at all? or does anyone know much about them? opening times? when they may close them?

Qball

Some trainee's would travel up on the Sunday stay in the hotel depending on how far you lived from the training centre. I only lived 30 mins from the training centre so came in on the Monday morning

Kraken

Does anyone have any information on grade 2 box's in the Manton area in Rutland?

Cheers in advance.
Manton Junction’s a nice little box, although it’s Grade 3 rather than 2. It has an NX panel rather than levers and works AB to Oakham and Ketton and TCB to Corby. You regulate trains coming off the branch from Corby. Quite a few user worked crossings and one CCTV crossing under your control.

It’s in a spooky location at the bottom of a wide cutting near a tunnel mouth and at nights it’s just you down there with the crumbling remains of the Victorian station and the ghosts for company. I don’t sign it yet but it’s quite a fun little box to work and not much running around. I’m a relatively new relief down that line so feel free to hit me up if you need further information.

Saracen_83

1) Ask when you get to York if anyone can recommend a gym near to your hotel or the training center (The trainers see lot's of candidates every year, and they will be able to point you in the right direction)

Middletons hotel in York had a nice gym, if you go in and speak to them, they will do you a deal.. we paid £90 for a 3 month membership which was use Monday - Friday all day

Amberk

Middletons hotel in York had a nice gym, if you go in and speak to them, they will do you a deal.. we paid £90 for a 3 month membership which was use Monday - Friday all day
That's not bad. I use jd but york doesn't have one. Thank you

ArkUTD

Manton Junction’s a nice little box, although it’s Grade 3 rather than 2. It has an NX panel rather than levers and works AB to Oakham and Ketton and TCB to Corby. You regulate trains coming off the branch from Corby. Quite a few user worked crossings and one CCTV crossing under your control.

It’s in a spooky location at the bottom of a wide cutting near a tunnel mouth and at nights it’s just you down there with the crumbling remains of the Victorian station and the ghosts for company. I don’t sign it yet but it’s quite a fun little box to work and not much running around. I’m a relatively new relief down that line so feel free to hit me up if you need further information.
Cheers for this!

Csb362

I was on a reserve list and got a nice surprise phone call a few months later to see if I still wanted to be a signaller.

Very soon after I was on my way to York to start signalling school.
Just out of curiosity was this for the same job that you applied for or is there a bank of reserve signallers who can be offered anywhere?

ArkUTD

Just out of curiosity was this for the same job that you applied for or is there a bank of reserve signallers who can be offered anywhere?
You can be called for anywhere. I got put on reserve for Cornwall and London jobs, but got a call for Leicester area, still waiting to hear back atm. I think the recruitment team try to look closer to your current home as most Hiring managers it seems are a bit hesitant about people having to relocate for the role.

Rockhopper

Its seems more common for signallers to get picked up like that. They don't run a talent pool like they do for drivers though but if you interview for a particular job and don't get selected the LOM may think you are good enough to be kept in reserve in case the top applicant decides not to accept the job for whatever reason or he might think you are good fit for another of his vacancies

LeGrimpeur

Does the application status stay as 'assessment' for a bit after these have been completed? Did all the assessments last night, application status hasn't changed. I clicked on the assessment link in the email again, it sent me a fresh logon code and presented me with all the tests again?

Anneruon

Does the application status stay as 'assessment' for a bit after these have been completed? Did all the assessments last night, application status hasn't changed. I clicked on the assessment link in the email again, it sent me a fresh logon code and presented me with all the tests again?
The application page isn't very good at updating. Mine always lagged behind while I was going through the process, sometimes by an entire stage.

The assessment link will keep throwing out codes, even after the deadline passes.

Passed my first written with 94 %
Well done!
I've got mine in a couple of weeks So hoping it will go well

LeGrimpeur

The application page isn't very good at updating. Mine always lagged behind while I was going through the process, sometimes by an entire stage.

The assessment link will keep throwing out codes, even after the deadline passes.
@Anneruon I thought as much thanks for confirming.

adamwarner999

Hi all, potentially starting school on 7th March - Yet to know where I will be though..Been told maybe Derby ? Anyone else starting then...

89jordanbj

It wasnt for the same job that I applied for - it was for a pool signaller position - so basically got taken on on a 12 month FTC, went to signalling school and had to apply for permanent positions whilst there. I secured a position by the end of signalling school, and have since moved on to a relief job.

ArkUTD

Hi all, potentially starting school on 7th March - Yet to know where I will be though..Been told maybe Derby ? Anyone else starting then...
I've been given same start date and told Derby, but got to get through medical here before i can get anything confirmed

NapoleoNik

Hi all,

So my contract begins on January 31st - exciting! However, I do not begin signaller school until (what is believed to be) February 14th. Does this mean I am going to be paid for the two weeks between?