• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

RailNoob

What’s it like in Network Rail to get leave during kids summer holidays ect. I’m due to start signalling school next month. My wife’s a teacher so all her leave is set.
The roster clerks get you to book 1 week in spring, 2 in summer, and 1 in winter at the end of the previous year so if your quick and agree it with other residents you more than likely can get whatever suits you but id also try and work your roster out because if you book your week off at the right time you can end up with 2 or even 3 weeks off for just 1 weeks worth of holidays !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nemo01

What’s it like in Network Rail to get leave during kids summer holidays ect. I’m due to start signalling school next month. My wife’s a teacher so all her leave is set.
Where I work everyone is booked a week off in spring, 2 in summer and 1 in winter. The weeks are preset and rotated annually but you can agree to swap your allocated weeks with someone else, however most people with kids will be trying to get time booked off in summer so there's no guarantee you will be able to get time off every summer holiday.

While I was training I couldn't take any leave during signalling school, however once out of school I could basically take annual leave off whenever I wanted to until the point I'd been signed off after my ruling

Casey_Jones

Where I am, 3 boxes are grouped together for booking annual leave, and there is a pecking order in each box so the No 1's in each box get to choose their weeks, then the No 2's etc. The following year the No 1's move down to 4th spot and everyone else moves up one to keep it fair over a period of years..

Signal_Box

Luck of the draw I’m afraid, June / July & August are usually very early to be filled up leave wise.

My location allows two people each half of the week (Mon - Weds) & (Thurs - Sat).

Really depends on where you go, but don’t bank on being able to get it unfortunately.

si_145653

Hi All

I have just seen NR post a grade 6 position in Plymouth. I fancy a career in the Railway industry and this is an option that I hadn’t originally thought of as I have been looking directly at TOCs vacancies.

Scanning through the forum am I right in thinking that those new to the railway normally come in at a lower grade and this position would attract a lot of current signallers applications which would be hard for an external with no Railway knowledge to beat.

I feel I have been the victim of companies advertising externally to tick a box with interviews I have been on recently a few times and after alot of effort, research and practice that can be a real kick in the teeth when discovered.

Also I have done a search for more info on the psychometric testing but nothing is standing out from the mass amount of results about what this is? I have done psychometric testing already for a TM/Guard

Kraken

In my neck of the woods we are in a pecking order which changes every year, so roughly every 4 years you get your pick of the weeks. As other posters have said, we have to pick one week in Spring, two consecutive weeks in Summer, and one in Winter.

There is some guidance on ours as to when school holidays are and those without children are requested to think whether they need time off during the school holidays but nothing stronger than that. It seems to work out OK in fairness.

Signal_Box

Hi All

I have just seen NR post a grade 6 position in Plymouth. I fancy a career in the Railway industry and this is an option that I hadn’t originally thought of as I have been looking directly at TOCs vacancies.

Scanning through the forum am I right in thinking that those new to the railway normally come in at a lower grade and this position would attract a lot of current signallers applications which would be hard for an external with no Railway knowledge to beat.

I feel I have been the victim of companies advertising externally to tick a box with interviews I have been on recently a few times and after alot of effort, research and practice that can be a real kick in the teeth when discovered.

Also I have done a search for more info on the psychometric testing but nothing is standing out from the mass amount of results about what this is? I have done psychometric testing already for a TM/Guard

You’ll find some higher grade jobs struggle to recruit internally, there is a toxic culture at some locations which puts off current signallers from applying. Sadly some staff don’t know how good they have it and are intent on depressing the ones who actually enjoy (or did) the job because they’ve been on to long and not hate the job but are trapped by the money.

Hi All

Hi All

Plymouth may attract lower grade signalled from boxes in Cornwall that are closing in the next 12-18 months, but it’s always worth putting in an app.

The job is fantastic, it’s hard keeping the idiots and their toxic attitudes out of your head though when your stuck with them for 12hrs three days a week.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
You’ll find some higher grade jobs struggle to recruit internally, there is a toxic culture at some locations which puts off current signallers from applying. Sadly some staff don’t know how good they have it and are intent on depressing the ones who actually enjoy (or did) the job because they’ve been on to long and not hate the job but are trapped by the money.

The job is fantastic, it’s hard keeping the idiots and their toxic attitudes out of your head though when your stuck with them for 12hrs three days a week.
How true how true. You just have to push back twice as hard eh

JamieTemp

Hi all. I have just accepted a signaller role and have received the contract and all necessary details. It is 12 month fixed term contract, I'm slightly worried about taking it. Is this the norm for new signallers? Then applying for a permanent role during the initial 12 month contract? Thanks in advance!

Signal_Box

There is a 98% chance you’ll find or be told to apply for a permeant role inside your initial contract term. It costs several hundred thousand pounds to train you, unless you fail school or have a poor sickness record you’ll be kept on.

Chances are your LOM already has plans for you in terms of a permanent location, some areas only recruit or prefer to recruit on FTCs it gives them options to move resources around as required.

There is a 98% chance you’ll find or be told to apply for a permeant role inside your initial contract term. It costs several hundred thousand pounds to train you, unless you fail school or

Last edited:

JamieTemp

Thank you for
There is a 98% chance you’ll find or be told to apply for a permeant role inside your initial contract term. It costs several hundred thousand pounds to train you, unless you fail school or have a poor sickness record you’ll be kept on.

Chances are your LOM already has plans for you in terms of a permanent location, some areas only recruit or prefer to recruit on FTCs it gives them options to move resources around as required.

There is a 98% chance you’ll find or be told to apply for a permeant role inside your initial contract term. It costs several hundred thousand pounds to train you, unless you fail school or
Thank you. Really helpful. I think I will try get in touch with my LOM and get it cleared up.

si_145653

Plymouth may attract lower grade signalled from boxes in Cornwall that are closing in the next 12-18 months, but it’s always worth putting in an app.

Thanks for the info. I have since applied for an entry level relief signaller for Devon or Cornwall but May put a application in for Plymouth G6 too.

Signal_Box

Thanks for the info. I have since applied for an entry level relief signaller for Devon or Cornwall but May put a application in for Plymouth G6 too.

Beware the “entry level” is very much NOT an easier job in fact it’s a much more complex location than Plymouth Panel. Remembering level combinations, local instructions etc is much harder than a push / pull panel style operation.

si_145653

Beware the “entry level” is very much NOT an easier job in fact it’s a much more complex location than Plymouth Panel. Remembering level combinations, local instructions etc is much harder than a push / pull panel style operation.
Interesting. What’s the difference then really to make it entry level?….apart from lower pay

Exscrew

I also don't appreciate the term "entry level" there isn't a hierarchy of signallers just different people working different boxes or panels. There are people who are brilliant signallers who have spent careers working grade 2 boxes and on so.

Signal_Box

Interesting. What’s the difference then really to make it entry level?….apart from lower pay

It’s not entry level, it’s just a lower level of traffic and/or added extras that the grading panel deem worthy of higher grade such as level crossings, junctions, yards, depots etc.

A “entry level” grade 2 can be very challenging compared to a “advanced level” grade 6 let’s say.

I know of two grade 3 locations one is a dream to work very Q compared to the other grade 3 which makes you really work AB both ways, through Mainline with a fair amount of traffic.

There’s grade 2 boxes which are one train a week (if their unlucky!) where as there’s grade 2s which are on mainlines.

On the other hand there’s grade 9 jobs where the lazy signaller can sit back and do sod all for 12 hrs watching or not ARSe doing it’s thing (badly).

General question for everyone, well any signallers no matter how long on the job…

Are you totally cheesed off with the job at the moment ? Like your banging your head against the wall every time you step into the place ?

Or is it just me ? lol

Last edited:

Defenestrate

General question for everyone, well any signallers no matter how long on the job…

Are you totally cheesed off with the job at the moment ? Like your banging your head against the wall every time you step into the place ?

Or is it just me ? lol

Having only been in the role a couple of years, I don't feel that way...turn up, do the job best I can, go home - no thoughts about work before or after I sign the book. I see people that get wound up over things they cannot change, but it doesn't do any good so I don't let it get to me. Maybe things will change in a few years with regards to how I feel, who knows.
There are lots of things that need improvement, don't get me wrong, but the signaller role is still so much better than other jobs I've done!

JMH77

It's been a year or so since I last applied for a signaller position so my first go at the new application process. I enjoyed it all up until the final memory test. That was horrible. Just have to sit tight and keep everything crossed now.

Woody27

It's been a year or so since I last applied for a signaller position so my first go at the new application process. I enjoyed it all up until the final memory test. That was horrible. Just have to sit tight and keep everything crossed now.
Yes, the dots are a stinker!! Which positions are you going for?

si_145653

It’s not entry level, it’s just a lower level of traffic and/or added extras that the grading panel deem worthy of higher grade such as level crossings, junctions, yards, depots etc.

A “entry level” grade 2 can be very challenging compared to a “advanced level” grade 6 let’s say.

I know of two grade 3 locations one is a dream to work very Q compared to the other grade 3 which makes you really work AB both ways, through Mainline with a fair amount of traffic.

There’s grade 2 boxes which are one train a week (if their unlucky!) where as there’s grade 2s which are on mainlines.

On the other hand there’s grade 9 jobs where the lazy signaller can sit back and do sod all for 12 hrs watching or not ARSe doing it’s thing (badly).

Or is it just me ? lol

Sorry to hear your cheesed off in a toxic environment, I know what that is like hence being here. Are you based in Devon or Cornwall or elsewhere from where I am applying?

Yes, the dots are a stinker!! Which positions are you going for?

Is this the 4 dot test that drivers do (bourdon) or different?

Just got to remember an "entry level" job might be paid more than a higher grade. I made more as a grade 3 relief than I did as a grade 7. However I was working a lot more so it's swings and roundabouts. But having to remember several sets of local instructions and different signalling methods can be very challenging and does take some getting used to, and you can easily confuse a driver by answering the phone with the wrong box name! I know Plymouth can be a beast of a panel but so can some of the smaller boxes in Devon or Cornwall.

Last edited:

si_145653

Just got to remember an "entry level" job might be paid more than a higher grade. I made more as a grade 3 relief than I did as a grade 7. However I was working a lot more so it's swings and roundabouts. But having to remember several sets of local instructions and different signalling methods can be very challenging and does take some getting used to, and you can easily confuse a driver by answering the phone with the wrong box name! I know Plymouth can be a beast of a panel but so can some of the smaller boxes in Devon or Cornwall.
Appreciate this, what would you say would be your main pro’s and con’s of being a relief as that’s what I have applied for. Can’t decide if I should pop in an application for Plymouth panel or not.

I guess there isn’t much of a working pattern being a relief as hours/shifts would be dictated based on what needed to be covered?

Appreciate this, what would you say would be your main pro’s and con’s of being a relief as that’s what I have applied for. Can’t decide if I should pop in an application for Plymouth panel or not.

I guess there isn’t much of a working pattern being a relief as hours/shifts would be dictated based on what needed to be covered?
There's no harm in putting in the application. The Devon Relief have fixed rest days, cant speak for Cornwall as I don't know, so you will know when your rest days are, but you won't know what shifts you are working or where you are working until the Thursday before. A night shift can lead into a rest day so you could finish at 7am on a rest day. You can sometimes predict what you will work but it doesn't always work.

Woody27

Sorry to hear your cheesed off in a toxic environment, I know what that is like hence being here. Are you based in Devon or Cornwall or elsewhere from where I am applying?

Is this the 4 dot test that drivers do (bourdon) or different?
It’s a memory test, not the same as bourdon

High Dyke

Established Member

Or is it just me ? lol
21 years into the job. Yes, I have off days about the job. I've even been off with stress, that partly due to.my own stubbornness. Overall though it's a good job for the pay, but that also depends on the workplace environment. If I wanted to work in a PSB, then I know which locations I would prefer to be in.

Pros: variety of working different locations, all with their own idiosyncrasies. Ability to turn down Sundays.

Cons: Working on a 48-hr notice basis. Doing early, late and night turns all in the same week.

Overall, the job is what you make of it. A relief job isn't for everyone. Oddly enough I've been on the road so long now I would struggle to be a resident signaller.

si_145653

There's no harm in putting in the application. The Devon Relief have fixed rest days, cant speak for Cornwall as I don't know, so you will know when your rest days are, but you won't know what shifts you are working or where you are working until the Thursday before. A night shift can lead into a rest day so you could finish at 7am on a rest day. You can sometimes predict what you will work but it doesn't always work.
Thanks. Application going in :)

21 years into the job. Yes, I have off days about the job. I've even been off with stress, that partly due to.my own stubbornness. Overall though it's a good job for the pay, but that also depends on the workplace environment. If I wanted to work in a PSB, then I know which locations I would prefer to be in.

Pros: variety of working different locations, all with their own idiosyncrasies. Ability to turn down Sundays.

Cons: Working on a 48-hr notice basis. Doing early, late and night turns all in the same week.

Overall, the job is what you make of it. A relief job isn't for everyone. Oddly enough I've been on the road so long now I would struggle to be a resident signaller.

Thanks for this. Early, lates and nights in one week does sounds evil tbh.

Last edited:

Nemo01

My main gripe being a relief signaller is that I can be called on the morning of a spare day and be asked to work the night shift. This really depends on your local agreement. I inherited mine

Thomas Blue

If anyone is struggling to find the building for the pre-employment medical screening at York DU Healthcare Facility Network Rail Old Biscuit Warehouse Leeman Road, Off Cinder Lane York YO26 4XD (as I definitely did) here's a map that may come in handy.

IMG_3258 (1).jpg

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
My main gripe being a relief signaller is that I can be called on the morning of a spare day and be asked to work the night shift. This really depends on your local agreement. I inherited mine

I suppose that’s a core reason of why reliefs get extra payment - you are compensated extra for the inconvenience.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose and to each their own on what is a preference.

WM0994

Good evening,

I appreciate this has probably been asked hundreds of times.. I just wondered if anyone has any links to the sort of questions asked in a grade 9 signallers interview please?

Thanks in advance!