• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Woody27

Good evening,

I appreciate this has probably been asked hundreds of times.. I just wondered if anyone has any links to the sort of questions asked in a grade 9 signallers interview please?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, you are correct, this has been covered a lot in this thread, if you use the search function at the top, you will find plenty of responses to it, hope this helps

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coppernob2014

Hi all.

I’ve applied for the FTC at Peterborough got my interview on 25th. Hoping to use it to get a foot in the door no move to another role and not just let the contract expire!

I’ve ready some people mention a scenario they have to do before the interview, I don’t have any info about that, just the interview itself? Any more info people can provide?

I’m an ex police sergeant so hopefully will be able to sell that I’ve got all the NTS.

Thanks

Signal_Box

I suppose that’s a core reason of why reliefs get extra payment - you are compensated extra for the inconvenience.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose and to each their own on what is a preference.

That 4% really makes it work it lol

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
That 4% really makes it work it lol

Thought relief premimums were on a range starting at 12%? Everyone is a different - if 4% isn't worth the hassle, I suppose you could eventually look for a permanent role transition.

Buiadh

Hi folks,
I know this question is subjective but how much would a lower grade signaller expect to make over their salary?
Cheers

Last edited:

Nemo01

Who ever agreed to the 4% for relief roles in the operating centres makes no sense to me it doesn't even cover what you lose out not doing Sundays but I guess thats why some people do it.
I agree, though I can generally pick up a couple of Sundays a month if I want them plus RDW so it's not too bad. It's just the spare day arrangement I don't like.

Best part of being relief for me is being able to work across the different shifts so a wider variety of people to work with rather than the same people every shift.

ThanksGordon

Any lurkers here have an interview for the G2 Carmarthen and Port Talbot areas that went up at the end of November?
Had an email to say on the reserve list. Having read through this thread seems that's come up trumps for people in the past so nice to know the possibility is still there. Does anyone know if that's tied to the specific applied for role or whether the reserve list can be used for vacancies that crop up in other locations?

Signal_Box

Had an email to say on the reserve list. Having read through this thread seems that's come up trumps for people in the past so nice to know the possibility is still there. Does anyone know if that's tied to the specific applied for role or whether the reserve list can be used for vacancies that crop up in other locations?

You can be asked if you’d like any job under the LOMs area of control, so Carmarthen covers about 6 IIRC locations West and East of Carmarthen all grade 2 & 3. Lovely area to work as well.

ThanksGordon

You can be asked if you’d like any job under the LOMs area of control, so Carmarthen covers about 6 IIRC locations West and East of Carmarthen all grade 2 & 3. Lovely area to work as well.
Thanks SB . Nice to have at the back of the mind as a possibility for the future.

Ronnie215

Advice please.... can somebody tell me what happens if your box closes and the ROC is outside of your 60 min commute? Or any other box for that matter. And re-location is not a possibility due to partners career and children's education etc. Can you move internally to a new role all together? Or is it redundancy see you later. Hope somebody has knowledge of this process and can pass on their wisdom. Thanks!

Signal_Box

Advice please.... can somebody tell me what happens if your box closes and the ROC is outside of your 60 min commute? Or any other box for that matter. And re-location is not a possibility due to partners career and children's education etc. Can you move internally to a new role all together? Or is it redundancy see you later. Hope somebody has knowledge of this process and can pass on their wisdom. Thanks!

I think you’d be looking at reasonable internal redeployment into another role.

Leaving is a last resort.

si_145653

Applied for a relief post and a grade 6 post and had an unsuccessful email for the grade 6 before it even reached the closing date. What a kick in the teeth. :(:(

Ren05

Hi everyone,
Would you be able to give me an advice of how can I prepare for the scenario questions on the interview? It looks like that's my weakness, at least it says that on the feedback..

SmokeAndJoe

For one, they're still looking at 75 mins travel time under displacement, even though their rule is 60 mins (Don't get me started). There's leeway in place for new fatigue index where if you're travel time is more than an hour, up to 75 mins they have to risk assess and discuss additional measures with you, this may mean more breaks at work, it may mean something else.

Secondly, or last pay deal I'm sure still contained no compulsory redundancies, I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

If that's the case and we continue to enjoy that protection, you'll potentially be sat at home. After all, you didn't decide to move your job. From my experience, they haven't liked people moving into other parts of the business from the grade, but I'd say depends on how much you're liked and/or useful and willing to do other things. No mom's jobs in your area or would that be a promotion?

Ronnie215

For one, they're still looking at 75 mins travel time under displacement, even though their rule is 60 mins (Don't get me started). There's leeway in place for new fatigue index where if you're travel time is more than an hour, up to 75 mins they have to risk assess and discuss additional measures with you, this may mean more breaks at work, it may mean something else.

Secondly, or last pay deal I'm sure still contained no compulsory redundancies, I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

If that's the case and we continue to enjoy that protection, you'll potentially be sat at home. After all, you didn't decide to move your job. From my experience, they haven't liked people moving into other parts of the business from the grade, but I'd say depends on how much you're liked and/or useful and willing to do other things. No mom's jobs in your area or would that be a promotion?

Last edited:

Kraken

Hi everyone,
Would you be able to give me an advice of how can I prepare for the scenario questions on the interview? It looks like that's my weakness, at least it says that on the feedback..
My one bit of advice would be to think of two examples for every non-technical skill. Write them out in the STAR format in full and then learn them all so that when they ask you about, say, multi-tasking you can reel off a relevant example in a fluent and persuasive manner. If you know two for each you will also have the confidence that if your example isn’t what they are looking for you can call on another one straight away instead of umming and erring. Also think of one where you screwed up and then put it right - that came up in my interview and I wasn’t prepared for it at all!

Simotrfc

Hi everyone,
You don’t need to. All the answers are common sense and they’re contained in the brief. I’d suggest use the prep time to write down your answer, quickly rehearse it and repeat that back when filmed.

Remember safety first and you wont go far wrong. Good luck

Lyc0326

Same here for the reserve list, mate. The reserve list seems to be only for the Carmarthen and Port Talbot area. As I remembered, there are at least 10 vacancies for this area. Now we just depends on our luck if anyone who don't take the offer.

SmokeAndJoe

With the way fuel prices are......how is that economically viable. Driving over 2 hours a day is going to hit the wallet hard. Iv heard Nerwork Rail do not offer any fuel allowance so it is a tough pill to swallow.
Driving's not the only way to get to work, no one where I work drives unless it's a Sunday, even then a lot of us have a train or bus service. Unfortunately that may not be the case for you.

And they'd suggest how you spend your money isn't really their problem, you know the salary walking in. I suggest ensuring you're in the union and voting with your feet when the time comes.

Any projects that haven't already been funded probably won't be now for a long time.

ThanksGordon

Same here for the reserve list, mate. The reserve list seems to be only for the Carmarthen and Port Talbot area. As I remembered, there are at least 10 vacancies for this area. Now we just depends on our luck if anyone who don't take the offer.
Sorry to hear that as well, but on the plus side it's a good result to have done well at the interview, fingers crossed anything in the near future that's fits the bill may come our way. I'm on the Carmarthen side so opportunity is limited but here's hoping.

mac

Slightly of topic but has anyone got a phone number for payroll. I've looked online and on old payslips which I thought had it but nothing

ArkUTD

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any current job listings in panels and/or ROC's where you do not work alone? Reason I ask is I have failed a risk assessment for hearing so can't work alone, but should be fine when working with others. Any advice to any current vacancies would be great.

SmokeAndJoe

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any current job listings in panels and/or ROC's where you do not work alone? Reason I ask is I have failed a risk assessment for hearing so can't work alone, but should be fine when working with others. Any advice to any current vacancies would be great.
Depends if you are internal or external..