• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stodge

Does anyone know if the rule about being paid your new grade while waiting to be released still applies? Read differing things, some say 12 weeks after you receive the job offer. Others say 12 weeks from the vacancies closing date.

fi23

Does anyone know if the rule about being paid your new grade while waiting to be released still applies? Read differing things, some say 12 weeks after you receive the job offer. Others say 12 weeks from the vacancies closing date.
12 weeks from the interview date, is what I've been told

si_145653

Just completed the online testing for a relief position.

Felt like I smashed them all apart from the final memory test, those damn dots in between different tasks!!! :frown:

Simotrfc

Just completed the online testing for a relief position.

Felt like I smashed them all apart from the final memory test, those damn dots in between different tasks!!! :frown:
Tough one that, I thought I did terrible but passed, so fingers crossed for you.
Hi all, anyone starting York on 7th March? How much info have you had with regards to hotel etc...
I start 7th, but been told Preston, LOM said to expect joining instructions this week

headshot119

Established Member

It is 12 weeks from the date of advertisement, if the post was vacant at that point, or 12 weeks from when it becomes vacant if that is later. If you want further help PM me.

Mi&Li

Does anyone know if there is an age limit to the signalling apprenticeships? It says you need to be at least 18. I assume the fact they have not mentioned an upper age limit means there isn’t one, however does anyone here know of any older students? Or are one?

Signal_Box

18 is the minimum, there is no older limit for legal reasons but you’d have to have a few years left in you to pay back in turns of service.

Plenty of new guys starting in their 50s that’s for sure.

It is 12 weeks from the date of advertisement, if the post was vacant at that point, or 12 weeks from when it becomes vacant if that is later. If you want further help PM me.
Hi Headshot

Does that happen automatically or do you have to chase it up? Sorry can’t pm you not enough comments yet cheers

Defenestrate

Hi Headshot

Does that happen automatically or do you have to chase it up? Sorry can’t pm you not enough comments yet cheers

Having been through this recently I'll answer:

You'll probably have to chase it. My LOM was very efficient, and I got my new grade plus back pay (was a long wait!) in time for the following pay slip, without any dramas, resistance etc.
However, from what I hear it's not always as simple, and it may take longer with other people - especially if your line manager is being awkward, or is just overwhelmed with work, or simply misinformed.

Jellyfish22

When you’re asked to apply for locations when you start training, how does this work? Is there a list of vacancies that are available in your area or are there only certain places you can apply for?

What if you go through signalling school and there are no locations with vacancies near to you?

I’ve accepted the offer of employment and look forward to getting started, but worry that if they’re unable to find a place it could be a big risk in leaving a current job? It’s a permanent contract, so by that I presume the vacancies are there to be filled?
Im currently training as a signaller! Almost at the end of the IST course now…2 weeks left. I was worried about the same thing, i can assure you there will be vacancies for you. As soon as you near the end of your course you will be actively told about new vacancies and encouraged to apply by your manager. As long as you pass all your training, you will get a job :) its in their interest to get you in as soon as possible as it costs a lot to train people and they don’t want you sitting at home getting paid doing nothing lol

Having been through this recently I'll answer:

You'll probably have to chase it. My LOM was very efficient, and I got my new grade plus back pay (was a long wait!) in time for the following pay slip, without any dramas, resistance etc.
However, from what I hear it's not always as simple, and it may take longer with other people - especially if your line manager is being awkward, or is just overwhelmed with work, or simply misinformed.
Thanks for the reply I’ll bare this in mind

Simotrfc

Im currently training as a signaller! Almost at the end of the IST course now…2 weeks left. I was worried about the same thing, i can assure you there will be vacancies for you. As soon as you near the end of your course you will be actively told about new vacancies and encouraged to apply by your manager. As long as you pass all your training, you will get a job :) its in their interest to get you in as soon as possible as it costs a lot to train people and they don’t want you sitting at home getting paid doing nothing lol
Spot on mate, nice one. How have you found it?

Wills6792

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice please. My contract started with NW on the 31st Jan, I'm due to start IST next month. I probably should of checked, but I assumed I'd be payed on the last day of the month like other companies I've worked for. I've found a few threads explaining that there's 3 different pay cycles for NW, could any of you let me know how it works for Signallers and when the next date it?

headshot119

Established Member
Signallers are paid every 4 weeks (13 times per year)

Shifts commencing between Sunday January 30th 2022 and Saturday 26th February 2022 - Paid Friday 4th March 2022
Shifts commencing between Sunday February 27th 2022 and Saturday 26th March 2022 - Paid Friday 1st April 2022

Wills6792

Signallers are paid every 4 weeks (13 times per year)

Shifts commencing between Sunday January 30th 2022 and Saturday 26th February 2022 - Paid Friday 4th March 2022
Shifts commencing between Sunday February 27th 2022 and Saturday 26th March 2022 - Paid Friday 1st April 2022
You're a gem mate, thanks alot for this.

Jellyfish22

Spot on mate, nice one. How have you found it?
It’s been good, its very fast paced though… kind of wish they would give you longer to absorb what your being taught. Just learnt single line working and working single and bidirectional lines by pilotman and my brain is fried lol and the exams in less than a week:rolleyes: don’t get lazy and stay on top of your revision through out the course is my advice :)

Coppernob2014

I didn’t get it unfortunately. Proper gutted.

Does anyone know how the reserve list works? Do you have to be specifically told you’re on it?

I only ask because my feedback email basically said I did really well, I didn’t have any areas to improve upon so I must have been close to getting it.

Sorry if I sound arrogant I don’t mean to!

ThanksGordon

I didn’t get it unfortunately. Proper gutted.

Does anyone know how the reserve list works? Do you have to be specifically told you’re on it?

I only ask because my feedback email basically said I did really well, I didn’t have any areas to improve upon so I must have been close to getting it.

Sorry if I sound arrogant I don’t mean to!
Sorry to hear that. My email a couple of weeks ago specifically said I was on a reserve list

JamieTemp

Hi. I'm due start IST on 4th April like many others on here. I am just wondering on how claiming for travel there and back works, is there some sort of form etc? I am planning on travelling there and back each day as its only a 40 min train journey. Who should I contact to get this or get information from? Thank you.

WoollyMammoth

Hi. I'm due start IST on 4th April like many others on here. I am just wondering on how claiming for travel there and back works, is there some sort of form etc? I am planning on travelling there and back each day as its only a 40 min train journey. Who should I contact to get this or get information from? Thank you.
You claim it on the online business portal. They usually place you in a hotel as the course involves long days with early starts and late finishes to practice on the simulator. You’ll also benefit from study groups with the rest of the course. If they offer a hotel they may be less likely to offer to pay your daily expenses (perhaps other than in very unique circumstances but that’s more speculation). We had someone on our course who lived in the town where the training took place and they still stayed in the hotel - there were some very late evenings studying!

ChrisRS

Rosters will book your tickets and sort that out, you don't pay for it. Speak to your LOM if you need more info.

Yorks1179

I'd also advise staying in the hotel provided. Aside from the advice already given, the distractions of being at home can be a disadvantage. One of the course members on my IST started off staying at home, but very quickly changed to staying in the hotel when they realised the down side of being at home.