• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

JJ14

I know this might sound abit silly but I’ve been told I’ll receive my uniform after IST
What was everyone wearing on their training as I’ll have to plan as staying in the hotel
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Signal_Box

I know this might sound abit silly but I’ve been told I’ll receive my uniform after IST
What was everyone wearing on their training as I’ll have to plan as staying in the hotel
Thanks

Jeans, smart t shirt or top is the usual uniform.

Just don’t go full HMP issue jogging suit.

Signal_Box

Full Arsenal kit it is then

Nice one mate I was thinking this ‍

Uniform at your location can vary from a requirement for full uniform, to smart casual / comfortable to full on HMP issue jogging suit. Usually single manned locations are happy as long as just turn up, but some / most large centres require at least your blue t shirt / polo with smart jeans or trousers / skirt etc.

ShebQ

Hi there. Completely new to this forum but it seems very helpful. I have recently applied for a grade 2 signaller role at Knottingley. I have passed the application and online asssessments and I am now about to do my pre recorded Signaller scenario asssessment before the live interview. Does anyone have any tips or example scenarios I may face in this test? Also, any helpful tips/guidance for the actual interview. It is on the 20th January. Thank you in advance and fingers crossed I will be joining you all in the near future!
Hi Jamie ,

Just wanted to know how you got on with your scenario based interview , I have mine in a few days and wanted to know what tips you had, anything which you will help me in my pre recorded interview and live interview

Any feedback would be great !

SalzH

Hi all,

I've been invited to take the Signaller Scenario Test for a grade 6 role, and I was wondering if anyone who has taken this test could answer a few questions.

When taking the test are you presented with the scenarios and then given time to prepare and record your response or is it more of a situation where you have to respond immediately?
Also, is there a time limit for the test and is it best to dress for the test as though it were an interview?

One final question, is it normal for a grade 7-9 application to go straight to the interview stage? I applied for a role at Didcot and got invited straight to an interview. It seems a bit unusual that I wasn't asked to take any of the tests.

Thanks in advance!

Simotrfc

Hi all,

I've been invited to take the Signaller Scenario Test for a grade 6 role, and I was wondering if anyone who has taken this test could answer a few questions.

When taking the test are you presented with the scenarios and then given time to prepare and record your response or is it more of a situation where you have to respond immediately?
Also, is there a time limit for the test and is it best to dress for the test as though it were an interview?

One final question, is it normal for a grade 7-9 application to go straight to the interview stage? I applied for a role at Didcot and got invited straight to an interview. It seems a bit unusual that I wasn't asked to take any of the tests.

Thanks in advance!
Get about 2 mins to prepare and then deliver your answer mate. It’s all very simple, they just want you to be able to relay the information back to them clearly.

KieranG110

Hi All,

I am currently in the final part of my application, having just completed my Signaller Scenario Based Test.

I have my competency based interview on Thursday. Does anyone have any advice or what to expect for the online interview?
I've seen people recommend reading the Safety Vision, which I have read and tried to memorize as much as possible.
Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated, I feel like I've got a few decent STAR answers for question I could get asked.

Thanks in advance.

ShebQ

Hi All,

I am currently in the final part of my application, having just completed my Signaller Scenario Based Test.

I have my competency based interview on Thursday. Does anyone have any advice or what to expect for the online interview?
I've seen people recommend reading the Safety Vision, which I have read and tried to memorize as much as possible.
Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated, I feel like I've got a few decent STAR answers for question I could get asked.

Thanks in advance.
Hi !

How did your scenario test go? i have mine today do you have any tips? what to expect?

I was sent a candidate brief and wanted an insight of what questions are asked?

Im assuming it will be scenario based such as if a signal had an issue/ a train is on fire ect what do you do... is this the line of questioning you experienced?

Looking at the forums regarding the interview, i gather mainly to study the safety vision, 8 NTFs, STAR answers ect

KieranG110

Hi !

How did your scenario test go? i have mine today do you have any tips? what to expect?

I was sent a candidate brief and wanted an insight of what questions are asked?

Im assuming it will be scenario based such as if a signal had an issue/ a train is on fire ect what do you do... is this the line of questioning you experienced?

Looking at the forums regarding the interview, i gather mainly to study the safety vision, 8 NTFs, STAR answers ect
Hello,

I found the scenarios itself alright, you are given the information on the screen and you can write notes, even when the screen for recording comes on. You have 4 minutes to talk through and explain your answer. You don't have to use the whole 4 minutes to talk. For example on a few of the questions, I was still writing for a minute or so before I gave my answer. It is very strange talking to a camera and made me cringe listening back to what I had said.

I think they just want you to follow instructions, prioritise tasks and explain what you would say.

Where have you applied for? I've applied for a grade 2 position in Sleaford.

I'm looking forward to my interview but a little but nervous as anyone might be.

ShebQ

Hello,

I found the scenarios itself alright, you are given the information on the screen and you can write notes, even when the screen for recording comes on. You have 4 minutes to talk through and explain your answer. You don't have to use the whole 4 minutes to talk. For example on a few of the questions, I was still writing for a minute or so before I gave my answer. It is very strange talking to a camera and made me cringe listening back to what I had said.

I think they just want you to follow instructions, prioritise tasks and explain what you would say.

Where have you applied for? I've applied for a grade 2 position in Sleaford.

I'm looking forward to my interview but a little but nervous as anyone might be.

Hi!

Thanks for the insight it does help to know what is coming our way - i have found taking your time and taking the extra 5-10 seconds before answering helps by giving you the moment to actually think about what you are going to say!

How long do you have to complete the whole assessment? and how many questions did you have?

I have applied for the Grade 6 - Birmingham/West midlands

I Wish you the best of luck with your journey! Please do let me know how you get on! would like to help where possible and also get some feedback!

Interviews are not my strongest however i can be quite calm, surprisingly! again as long as you have done the research and looked into the Values of NR - they are extremely passenger safety orientated!

KieranG110

Hi!

Thanks for the insight it does help to know what is coming our way - i have found taking your time and taking the extra 5-10 seconds before answering helps by giving you the moment to actually think about what you are going to say!

How long do you have to complete the whole assessment? and how many questions did you have?

I have applied for the Grade 6 - Birmingham/West midlands

I Wish you the best of luck with your journey! Please do let me know how you get on! would like to help where possible and also get some feedback!

Interviews are not my strongest however i can be quite calm, surprisingly! again as long as you have done the research and looked into the Values of NR - they are extremely passenger safety orientated!
Thank you,

I'll let you know how I get on and provide you with any information that might be useful.

There were 4 scenario questions, all of which went in order of a working day.

Scenario 1 - Dealing with workmen on the track. You're tasked with allowing them on the track for maintenance for a certain period of time between two signal points.
Scenario 2 - They ask for more time to complete unnecessary task - basically you have to refuse them and explain why
Scenario 3 - busy period of work and you have a tress passer on the track which you have to prioritize who you tell and explain why.
Scenario 4 - a member of staff tries to pressure you to resume the service when the situation wasn't deemed safe by the British transport police, a colleague of yours phones and you for advice but you have to end the call with him and explain to the platform staff the service can't resume - explain why you did it etc. it asks you for any additional things you might consider, like logging the situation.
Scenario 5 - This was optional, explaining why you chose to make decisions and choices or just say "nothing further to add"

yours could be completely different as my test only covers me for 6 months for Signaller roles up to Grade 5.

All the information you have is in front of you and you have to write down and remember pertinent information and then follow the rules in the tasks. I guess they want to know if you can follow orders, follow rules and basically conduct yourself safely within your role.

I wish you the best of luck, i hope you're successful and by the sounds of it, you've done your homework.

ArkUTD

Thank you,

I'll let you know how I get on and provide you with any information that might be useful.

There were 4 scenario questions, all of which went in order of a working day.

Scenario 1 - Dealing with workmen on the track. You're tasked with allowing them on the track for maintenance for a certain period of time between two signal points.
Scenario 2 - They ask for more time to complete unnecessary task - basically you have to refuse them and explain why
Scenario 3 - busy period of work and you have a tress passer on the track which you have to prioritize who you tell and explain why.
Scenario 4 - a member of staff tries to pressure you to resume the service when the situation wasn't deemed safe by the British transport police, a colleague of yours phones and you for advice but you have to end the call with him and explain to the platform staff the service can't resume - explain why you did it etc. it asks you for any additional things you might consider, like logging the situation.
Scenario 5 - This was optional, explaining why you chose to make decisions and choices or just say "nothing further to add"

yours could be completely different as my test only covers me for 6 months for Signaller roles up to Grade 5.

All the information you have is in front of you and you have to write down and remember pertinent information and then follow the rules in the tasks. I guess they want to know if you can follow orders, follow rules and basically conduct yourself safely within your role.

I wish you the best of luck, i hope you're successful and by the sounds of it, you've done your homework.
Funny enough i got sent a Updated one, which is interesting

ScraggyBizzle

Hello everyone. Ive been lucky enough to be offered a job as grade 2 signaller. It's come off the back of being put on a reserve list after an initially unsuccessful application. This is a fantastic oppurtunity and I have of course accepted. I am worrying a bit though, I know it's a lot to learn and having watched a few videos from inside signal boxes I'm exeriencing some self doubt. Theres quite a long time between now and my given start date so I wonder is there anything any current or past signallers would recommend to help calm the nerves? Was anyone else put off at first by the daunting amount of information needed to learn? Perhaps im overthinking things a little

High Dyke

Established Member
Hello everyone. Ive been lucky enough to be offered a job as grade 2 signaller. It's come off the back of being put on a reserve list after an initially unsuccessful application. This is a fantastic oppurtunity and I have of course accepted. I am worrying a bit though, I know it's a lot to learn and having watched a few videos from inside signal boxes I'm exeriencing some self doubt. Theres quite a long time between now and my given start date so I wonder is there anything any current or past signallers would recommend to help calm the nerves? Was anyone else put off at first by the daunting amount of information needed to learn? Perhaps im overthinking things a little
Firstly, well done. You've achieved the initial goal. Second bit of advice - though it's easy to say - try not to over think about things at the moment. Yes, it is a tidal wave of information to learn, but the training location will give you all the help and information you need to get through the course. I will also say that if you put the effort in to learn on the course you should be alright.

I will say that some people do not always pass the course, or even make it through training in their particular signal box / location. This isn't to put anyone off becoming a signaller, but just to advise of the pitfalls of the recruitment process.

ScraggyBizzle

Firstly, well done. You've achieved the initial goal. Second bit of advice - though it's easy to say - try not to over think about things at the moment. Yes, it is a tidal wave of information to learn, but the training location will give you all the help and information you need to get through the course. I will also say that if you put the effort in to learn on the course you should be alright.

I will say that some people do not always pass the course, or even make it through training in their particular signal box / location. This isn't to put anyone off becoming a signaller, but just to advise of the pitfalls of the recruitment process.
Thanks for that, I know really I need to just chill! I will be sure to knuckle down during training! I have found a 2018 version of the GERM8000 Signaller and Signalling technician Rulebook... I do wonder if it would be a good idea to try and familiarise myself with that, or if thats asking for trouble studying it out of the context of the training course.

Exscrew

Thanks for that, I know really I need to just chill! I will be sure to knuckle down during training! I have found a 2018 version of the GERM8000 Signaller and Signalling technician Rulebook... I do wonder if it would be a good idea to try and familiarise myself with that, or if thats asking for trouble studying it out of the context of the training course.
Do not bother reading ahead or trying to gain rules info before hand. The course will teach you in a certain manner.
The one lad we had who read miles ahead fluffed the course.
Just chill and make most of time before going away, you'll love the course its a good laugh.

ScraggyBizzle

Do not bother reading ahead or trying to gain rules info before hand. The course will teach you in a certain manner.
The one lad we had who read miles ahead fluffed the course.
Just chill and make most of time before going away, you'll love the course its a good laugh.
Solid advice! Thanks

Dunnideer

I have found a 2018 version of the GERM8000 Signaller and Signalling technician Rulebook... I do wonder if it would be a good idea to try and familiarise myself with that, or if thats asking for trouble studying it out of the context of the training course.
The Rule Book is updated/amended twice a year in June and December so the copy you've found is up to eight amendments out of date. Don't bother looking at it and once you have started on the course don't read ahead. It will all click into place if you engage with the teaching.

Defenestrate

Focus on the reason you applied in the first place - pretty sure you'd have known then that it would be a lot to learn, but you applied, interviewed successfully etc.

There's loads of "normal" people who have gone through from your position to do the job without issue - that should be the most calming thought of all!

ScraggyBizzle

Focus on the reason you applied in the first place - pretty sure you'd have known then that it would be a lot to learn, but you applied, interviewed successfully etc.

There's loads of "normal" people who have gone through from your position to do the job without issue - that should be the most calming thought of all!
Thanks for that, and to everyone who responded above. I'm getting over the initial shock of actually getting the offer now. Excited to take it on.

TommyF

Does anyone know anything about grade 2 Middlesbrough? I can’t seem to find anything on google apart from it saying Middlesbrough signal box is closed and has moved to York

KlichBate

Does anyone know anything about grade 2 Middlesbrough? I can’t seem to find anything on google apart from it saying Middlesbrough signal box is closed and has moved to York
I'd also be interested to know how regularly vacancies come up in the Teesside/North East area.

Starting IST on 4th July before moving onto the "Middlesbrough area", on a FTC.

Simotrfc

I’m on IST now mate. I’d say for the first couple of weeks, having a knowledge of Bellcodes won’t hurt you. Download network rail bell code app and look at them for 20 mins a day they’ll soon stick. Make life a little easier. Any more info you need send me a dm if I can help I will.

Mikesig

I’m on IST now mate. I’d say for the first couple of weeks, having a knowledge of Bellcodes won’t hurt you. Download network rail bell code app and look at them for 20 mins a day they’ll soon stick. Make life a little easier. Any more info you need send me a dm if I can help I will.
This is fine assuming that they're going to an Absolute Block box and will be doing the IST AB course. If it's a TCB box and IST TCB course then it's a complete waste of time.

Bibz

Hi guys, I've had a look online at the family policy but just want to be sure this is correct. Am i right in saying if you become pregnant anytime after you start employment you are eligible for enhanced maternity of full pay for 6 months. Thank you