• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

starlight

Thank you,

I'll let you know how I get on and provide you with any information that might be useful.

There were 4 scenario questions, all of which went in order of a working day.

Scenario 1 - Dealing with workmen on the track. You're tasked with allowing them on the track for maintenance for a certain period of time between two signal points.
Scenario 2 - They ask for more time to complete unnecessary task - basically you have to refuse them and explain why
Scenario 3 - busy period of work and you have a tress passer on the track which you have to prioritize who you tell and explain why.
Scenario 4 - a member of staff tries to pressure you to resume the service when the situation wasn't deemed safe by the British transport police, a colleague of yours phones and you for advice but you have to end the call with him and explain to the platform staff the service can't resume - explain why you did it etc. it asks you for any additional things you might consider, like logging the situation.
Scenario 5 - This was optional, explaining why you chose to make decisions and choices or just say "nothing further to add"

yours could be completely different as my test only covers me for 6 months for Signaller roles up to Grade 5.

All the information you have is in front of you and you have to write down and remember pertinent information and then follow the rules in the tasks. I guess they want to know if you can follow orders, follow rules and basically conduct yourself safely within your role.

I wish you the best of luck, i hope you're successful and by the sounds of it, you've done your homework.
Hi there,

How did your interview go? Was there any other information that you think could be useful to anyone else having an interview soon?

Fingers crossed for you and best of luck on your application going forwards.

Hi!

Thanks for the insight it does help to know what is coming our way - i have found taking your time and taking the extra 5-10 seconds before answering helps by giving you the moment to actually think about what you are going to say!

How long do you have to complete the whole assessment? and how many questions did you have?

I have applied for the Grade 6 - Birmingham/West midlands

I Wish you the best of luck with your journey! Please do let me know how you get on! would like to help where possible and also get some feedback!

Interviews are not my strongest however i can be quite calm, surprisingly! again as long as you have done the research and looked into the Values of NR - they are extremely passenger safety orientated!

Hi there,

Did you do the SST? How did you find it? Do you have an interview soon?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KieranG110

Hi there,

How did your interview go? Was there any other information that you think could be useful to anyone else having an interview soon?

Fingers crossed for you and best of luck on your application going forwards.

So I had my interview and I think it went well. I received an email back saying I had scored quite highly and in the top few. I have to wait until the week of the 9th to hear back.

Definitely read about the non technical skills as the interview is based around your experiences and examples. They'll ask you about your knowledge of what a signaller actually does and why you want to work for network rail.

I'd say as long as you have some decent examples of working under pressure, being conscientious and the other NTS then you will do fine.

I'll let you know how I get on, I am nervous and have my fingers crossed!

What stage are you at?

Trackboy

Can anyone please tell me which area is covered by West Hampstead SB Grade 9 Signaller. Thanks

cowboysfan

Does anyone know anything about grade 2 Middlesbrough? I can’t seem to find anything on google apart from it saying Middlesbrough signal box is closed and has moved to York
I'd also be interested to know how regularly vacancies come up in the Teesside/North East area.

Starting IST on 4th July before moving onto the "Middlesbrough area", on a FTC.
Middlesbrough(Grade 5) & Whitehouse(Grade 3) were both resignalled in to York ROC in November. As far as I am aware the only Grade 2 boxes remaining in Tees area is Crag Hall which only serves Boulby Mine and Skinningrove Steelworks and Nunthorpe which works to the new Middlesbrough work station in York ROC they also control the single line to Whitby. There are other boxes in the area such Longbeck(G3) maybe 2 im not sure, Grangetown (G4), Tees Yard was a 5 but I believe they lost most of their work when area was resignalled they purely just accept trains into the yard now so think talks of it being a G3 and Redcar also which was recently made G4. There are boxes such as Shildon, Heighington and Low Gates too not sure on their grades.

In terms of jobs coming up for the area its not very frequent at all, in the 2 years I've been a signaller I can count on one hand the amount of vacancies I've seen for the area and most of which were for the boxes that have now been knocked down. There is alot of relief for the area with alot of them losing 2 boxes to the resignalling so they certainly have alot of time off because of it one can only wonder if something did come up with the amount of spare days they get would they be asked to slot in to this role perhaps but why would they with all the spare time off. Another downside of the area also its on an 8 hour roster which is relentless where it feels like you are constantly at work too. Not trying to put you off this is just the reality of the current area.

I came on via a similar way to yourselves and got lucky with an opportunity to get experience via a secondment in a grade 3 location which has now led to me gaining a permanent role based in York ROC but regardless even if you dont find somewhere straight away dont worry it will all work out they would not give you a job and train you for no reason.

If you have any more questions feel free to send them my way I'm more than happy to help.

High Dyke

Established Member
Hi guys, I've had a look online at the family policy but just want to be sure this is correct. Am i right in saying if you become pregnant anytime after you start employment you are eligible for enhanced maternity of full pay for 6 months. Thank you
Here's the extract from the Family Friendly Policy regarding maternity pay. Please note, there are slightly differing arrangements depending on your length of service. EWC is 'expected week of childbirth'.

1651608682360.png

ScraggyBizzle

Does anyone know what signal boxes occupy the Barnsley area? I've been offered a grade 2 position there but so far the only box I've found is the one near the station.

Does anyone know what signal boxes occupy the Barnsley area? I've been offered a grade 2 position there but so far the only box I've found is the one near the station.
Like many other recent posters, I think you will have been offered a training position in the Barnsley area on a 12 month FTC.
Depending on exactly how your area works you will be either assigned to, or, expected to apply for, a permanent signal box position once your initial training is complete. This could be a grade 2 or above depending again on vacancies, and of course your interviews, personal choices etc.

To specifically answer your question, the only grade 2 box in the immediate Barnsley area is Woolley Coal Sidings, an odd AB box which closes overnight and on Sundays, works to Horbury Junction and Barnsley.
Cutsyke Junction is the other grade 2 within range of Barnsley. A little TCB level crossing box near Castleford.

Both are good starter boxes but once passed out of IST the world is your oyster really.

KlichBate

Middlesbrough(Grade 5) & Whitehouse(Grade 3) were both resignalled in to York ROC in November. As far as I am aware the only Grade 2 boxes remaining in Tees area is Crag Hall which only serves Boulby Mine and Skinningrove Steelworks and Nunthorpe which works to the new Middlesbrough work station in York ROC they also control the single line to Whitby. There are other boxes in the area such Longbeck(G3) maybe 2 im not sure, Grangetown (G4), Tees Yard was a 5 but I believe they lost most of their work when area was resignalled they purely just accept trains into the yard now so think talks of it being a G3 and Redcar also which was recently made G4. There are boxes such as Shildon, Heighington and Low Gates too not sure on their grades.

In terms of jobs coming up for the area its not very frequent at all, in the 2 years I've been a signaller I can count on one hand the amount of vacancies I've seen for the area and most of which were for the boxes that have now been knocked down. There is alot of relief for the area with alot of them losing 2 boxes to the resignalling so they certainly have alot of time off because of it one can only wonder if something did come up with the amount of spare days they get would they be asked to slot in to this role perhaps but why would they with all the spare time off. Another downside of the area also its on an 8 hour roster which is relentless where it feels like you are constantly at work too. Not trying to put you off this is just the reality of the current area.

I came on via a similar way to yourselves and got lucky with an opportunity to get experience via a secondment in a grade 3 location which has now led to me gaining a permanent role based in York ROC but regardless even if you dont find somewhere straight away dont worry it will all work out they would not give you a job and train you for no reason.

If you have any more questions feel free to send them my way I'm more than happy to help.
Thanks for the reply mate, very informative. I didn't imagine there would be much given that I rarely see any jobs pop up externally for Teesside. I'd be quite happy to work anywhere within my hours travelling time, just need to get that first permanent post under my belt once I'm through training.

TommyF

Thanks for this, yeh I’ve just got a role grade 2 at Middlesbrough but when you look them up they all say relocated to York so this is very helpful

illberries

Hi all!

I've been lurking on here a while and have browsed through ALOT of this thread.

I'm lucky enough to have passed my psychometric test (the behavioral questions were surprisingly hard to answer) and have been offered an interview next Tuesday for a signalling position. The email invitation doesn't mention anything about Signaller Scenario Based Tests or it being specifically a competency based interview. It words it as a 1 hour virtual based interview. Which is confusing me a little based on what others have mentioned.

I am obviously continuing to read up on their safety vision etc. Just don't want to be chucked in the deep end not aware of something that I may be tested on without prior understanding.

Is this the same process that has happened for others?

Thank you :)

Rockhopper

What grade is the job you've applied for? If its crossing keeper then it may be a different format of interview.

illberries

What grade is the job you've applied for? If its crossing keeper then it may be a different format of interview.
Hi Rockhopper. It's the TVSC grade 7,8 & 9 position. After reading back more in this thread I seem to roughly understand there are different interviews for different grades/ roles, which makes more sense :)

SalzH

The email invitation doesn't mention anything about Signaller Scenario Based Tests or it being specifically a competency based interview.

I interviewed last week for a Grade 9 role and didn't have to take the Signaller Scenario Test.

From what I can gather the Scenario Test is used in applications from grade 2-8.

I've had three interviews for roles between grade 2-9 positions all were competency based and focused heavily on the NTS and why you want to work for Network Rail/be a signaller.

Good luck with the interview, feel free to message me if you require any advice.

illberries

I interviewed last week for a Grade 9 role and didn't have to take the Signaller Scenario Test.

From what I can gather the Scenario Test is used in applications from grade 2-8.

I've had three interviews for roles between grade 2-9 positions all were competency based and focused heavily on the NTS and why you want to work for Network Rail/be a signaller.

Good luck with the interview, feel free to message me if you require any advice.
That makes sense. The position I applied for was grade 7, 8 & 9. The email didn't specify it the interview was for a particular grade, but what you've said still makes sense!

Thank you massively for your insight. Those are the parts I'm working on to prepare. I don't think I can PM until I've sent a certain number of replies. But aside from the obvious of focusing on the NTS, reading up on NR, signallers job role, using STAR etc. Is there any general advice you'd advise? I hate interviews, so want to give myself the best possible chance of calming down for it haha!

Thank you for the good luck. I hope you hear good news from yours soon.

WoollyMammoth

That makes sense. The position I applied for was grade 7, 8 & 9. The email didn't specify it the interview was for a particular grade, but what you've said still makes sense!

Thank you massively for your insight. Those are the parts I'm working on to prepare. I don't think I can PM until I've sent a certain number of replies. But aside from the obvious of focusing on the NTS, reading up on NR, signallers job role, using STAR etc. Is there any general advice you'd advise? I hate interviews, so want to give myself the best possible chance of calming down for it haha!

Research the key geographical areas for your signal box. Areas of control, main stations, TOCs and FOCs that operate, method of signalling.

Good luck with the interview.

SalzH

When planning your responses, always think about the safety aspect.

I'm also not the biggest fan of interviews, and I was very nervous during my first one. Just remember the interviewers are not the enemy, they are not trying to trip you up and they will want you to succeed.

I know its easier said than done but try to stay calm and treat the interview as a conversation. Don't be afraid to pause and think for a moment or ask them to repeat a question if needed.

Other than that just prepare thoroughly, the better prepared you are the more confident and calm you will be on the day.

I hope it goes well for you.

Open_G

I have been lucky enough to be offered the role of Grade 2 Signaller (Hull/Goole) and while the start date is some distance away (early 2023) I am really looking forward to this. Only the medical to get through and then hopefully on to a new life and career.

ShebQ

Anyone had any feedback for the G6 West Midlands roles they were interviewing for this week?
Still waiting for a response! Someone who I know applied received an email today stating they were unsuccessful? Can only hope to think that may be a positive sign?

ShebQ

Yeah same, 1 hour video interview with two people on Wednesday morning. How did you get on?

I've double checked and definitely not got a rejection or any other contact today.
Im Confident that I gave an answer to every question as best as possible ensuring my examples incorporated the 8 NTS’s - however just hope I did enough!

I’m in the same boat as you constantly checking the portal to see what the status changes to! Lol

Regardless of the outcome I know I did my best and if it’s not meant to be on this occasion I will learn and try harder when the next opportunity arises!

Fingers crossed this is the last time I do it! Lol my second attempt!

Paul88

Hi All,

I’m new to this thread, but I’ve been reading up on it for a few weeks now.

I just wanted to give anybody that’s applied a bit of an insight and to share my experience going through the application process and ask you seasoned pro’s a couple of questions.

I’ve just been accepted for a grade 2 signaller position working out of guide bridge (Manchester) - passed my medical today and hopefully start signalling school in July.

The application process seemed to take quite a while, but all good things do I suppose! The psychometric tests were difficult in the sense that they’re quick fire questions designed to make you think and make decisions on multiple fronts at the same time - the questions are easy but they’re designed to make you think. My advice is to trust your own knowledge and maybe do a bit of revision around basic maths if that’s not your strong point.

I also had a scenario based interview and it was based on how you would deal with certain situations. Again the questions are basic but they’re designed to test your common sense.

I then had an online formal interview. Dress smart and do your research around safety and most importantly get across why you want the job.

The medical was an eye exam (i was a little stressed about this as i wear contacts / glasses) - but as long as you can read the top 4 lines on the snellen scale then you’ll be fine. My uncorrected vision wasn’t tested. I also had a hearing test, a urine test, blood pressure test and a BMI check

I really enjoyed the process and I can’t wait to get cracking with signalling school !!

Just a couple of questions for the pro’s

I’m a bit of a sucker for overtime. Does anybody know if you can work your roster days as OT as well as the 2 Sunday’s you get allocated? (I’ve been told I’ll be working 12’s so that would equate to roughly 2 roster days and a Sunday per week, on average) - I’m used to working shifts so it’s no issue to me.

Does anybody here work on the Guide Bridge line / area that might be able to give me a bit of an insight in to how the box operates (leavers ect) and if there’s any future plans to close this area and move it in to the ROC? - I’m only asking this as on previous posts there seems to be a few queries around box closures, so i just wanted to see if this may affect me at some point.

Last question - this might seem like a daft question so I apologise in advance - what do you wear while your working? I’ve heard there’s no set uniform. So would a pair of jeans, shirt and a pair of trainers be ok? Or have i got this wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:

mdfc

Im Confident that I gave an answer to every question as best as possible ensuring my examples incorporated the 8 NTS’s - however just hope I did enough!

I’m in the same boat as you constantly checking the portal to see what the status changes to! Lol

Regardless of the outcome I know I did my best and if it’s not meant to be on this occasion I will learn and try harder when the next opportunity arises!

Fingers crossed this is the last time I do it! Lol my second attempt!
My second attempt too! First in June (I think) last year for the same position. I'm exactly the same as you, came away feeling like that was the best interview I've had in years and like I answered everything as best I can. If it's not meant to be this time then I know I can't have done any more than I did.

Fingers crossed for you, keep us updated!

ShebQ

My second attempt too! First in June (I think) last year for the same position. I'm exactly the same as you, came away feeling like that was the best interview I've had in years and like I answered everything as best I can. If it's not meant to be this time then I know I can't have done any more than I did.

Fingers crossed for you, keep us updated!
Similar to me my last attempt was in march last year! Was soo gutted but didn’t let that stop me ..

Defo will let you know! Keep me updated also! Best of luck and wish you the best! Hope it’s good news for us