• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

bizmark222

Hi, I am new to the forum and and have a virtual interview for signaller grade 2-4 this Thursday. Please can anyone share from their experience what sort of questions are asked in the interview ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dunnideer

Some interesting proposals for recruitment and training from the management side in the Operations Productivity improvements linked to the latest pay offer:

Recruitment and training
1. The re-introduction of a 6-month probationary period for new starter contracts

2. Standardised training salaries for external new starters to signalling roles:
  • During initial IST training the training salary will be at grade 2
  • On completion of IST training and when location training commence on a panel / workstation, the individual will move to grade 4 (unless it is a lower graded post that they are training for)

3. Revised notice periods:
  • 6 months’ notice from the employee to the company
  • 6 months’ notice from the company to the employee after 5 years’ service

4. New hires to be hired into a general geographical area. There will be no demotion because of this.

5. Ability to hire comparable roles without readvertising. Where a post has been advertised and filled, should a similar post (same grade, same location) become available within 18 weeks of the original post being advertised.

6. Ability to hire grade 2 post from candidate pools. Where there is a sufficient quality pipeline of candidates in an appropriate location, we hire directly from this list without advertising, within 18 weeks of advertising as in the above point.

7. Reintroduction of the 52-week rule for new entrants (and for those that have joined within the last 12 months), so that the individual cannot move to a new post within the year of their appointment (consideration will be given to exceptional circumstances).

The offer has many other strings attached and hasn’t been accepted by the RMT yet but the above gives an idea of what management is thinking about for the future.

Woody27

Hi, I am new to the forum and and have a virtual interview for signaller grade 2-4 this Thursday. Please can anyone share from their experience what sort of questions are asked in the interview ?
Hi bizmark, could you share what vacancy you’re interviewing for?

MikeyFord

It will be pool questions so they will be looking for you to demostrate examples of the skills listed in the job description, ie can you give me an example of when you did this or that, they'll be two people interviewing one will ask the questions from the screen in front of him/her the other is simply scoring (or ticking boxes) so don't be surprised if they don't say anything, best of luck!

KieranG110

Hi Bizmark,

I had an interview last week for the same role I believe so I can give you a list of example questions they ask.

Why do you want to work for Network Rail?

Have you got any examples of where you've had to develop working relations with people you don't get on with?

They'll ask you for your general understanding of the role and ask you what you think a Signaller does.

Have you got an example where you've had to plan ahead and how you would deal with a stressful situation, such as an emergency.

They ask questions about the 8 non technical skills. I would recommend looking through the forum to find them.

Best of luck!

Paul88

Some interesting proposals for recruitment and training from the management side in the Operations Productivity improvements linked to the latest pay offer:

The offer has many other strings attached and hasn’t been accepted by the RMT yet but the above gives an idea of what management is thinking about for the future.
Great info! Do you know what the latest pay offer is? Last i heard it was 2% with an additional 1% dependent on targets ect

High Dyke

Established Member
Great info! Do you know what the latest pay offer is? Last i heard it was 2% with an additional 1% dependent on targets ect
Letter to employees from Network Rail, dated 12/07/22.
If accepted by the trade unions, the two-year reward package would deliver a 4% uplift, backdated to 1 January 2022 (including shift pay and overtime) plus a further 2% in 2023 and a further 2% unconsolidated cash lump sum which will be consolidated into base pay on delivery of the key milestones.

KieranG110

Can anyone explain in the simplest way what the offer currently on the table would mean for someone joining as grade 2 Signaller?

I understand nothing has been accepted and further Industrial action in July

Signal_Box

You’d be grade 2 through school, then grade 4 until you pass out. Then you’ll be subject to a 12 month period of no moving.

bizmark222

It will be pool questions so they will be looking for you to demostrate examples of the skills listed in the job description, ie can you give me an example of when you did this or that, they'll be two people interviewing one will ask the questions from the screen in front of him/her the other is simply scoring (or ticking boxes) so don't be surprised if they don't say anything, best of luck!
Thank you MickeyFord
Do you think they would penalize you if they thought you were reading from notes?

Hi Bizmark,

I had an interview last week for the same role I believe so I can give you a list of example questions they ask.

Why do you want to work for Network Rail?

Have you got any examples of where you've had to develop working relations with people you don't get on with?

They'll ask you for your general understanding of the role and ask you what you think a Signaller does.

Have you got an example where you've had to plan ahead and how you would deal with a stressful situation, such as an emergency.

They ask questions about the 8 non technical skills. I would recommend looking through the forum to find them.

Best of luck!
How did you get on kieran ? have you heard anything? I was thinking of making some notes and hopefully get away with glancing over them in the interview :smile:

Coppernob2014

Thank you MickeyFord
Do you think they would penalize you if they thought you were reading from notes?

How did you get on kieran ? have you heard anything? I was thinking of making some notes and hopefully get away with glancing over them in the interview :smile:
I've used notes during both of my interviews. If you place them behind your screen on the wall, or down on the desk you can get away with it just looking natural as you glance around.

Signal_Box

Subject to your established grade, so Grade 2 until pass out at 4 or above. If your a 2 or 3 then obviously it’ll be grade 2 or 3.

im happy to vote yes on that principle to be honest, it’s not for me to protect newbies who haven’t even joined the job.

Mega

Have any ideas if T&Cs rumours concerning Sundays being made a normal working day true?

High Dyke

Established Member
Have any ideas if T&Cs rumours concerning Sundays being made a normal working day true?
I've not seen or heard anything about this. The previous discussions about National Rostering Principles made reference to Sunday turns. There was some clarity in the document, that was long overdue. However, that document was rejected. Whilst NR have shown they want to update NRP (including removing local agreements), there has been no explanation of what this will actually entail.

KieranG110

Have you been given an offer then buddy??
No mate, I'm just curious with everything thats going on in the news.

Hoping we find out first thing Monday

Thank you MickeyFord

I though I did okay but this was my second interview so it was the same questions so I knew what to expect.

I think if you can hide your notes and you'd find it helpful i would do it. I didn't try it and wish I did really. Could have had some examples in writing to read.

Don't think we'll hear anything until Monday. There's a few in here In the same boat as us! I hate waiting.

abs

Good Morning,

I've been lucky enough to secure a G9 post. I'm already an employee not a Signaller - I've been told that I'm to retain my current pay whilst training which is equivalent to G5 salary and I do not get the G8 salary.

However if I'm not mistaken external candidates get the G8 salary in training. I think that's a bit unfair.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?
Apologies if this has been covered previously in the thread. Thanks

MikeyFord

Thank you MickeyFord

If you were trying to read the answers verbatim it would be be noticed and you would be scored down but if you just had some bullet points behind the screen to jog your memory it would be fine and would still come across as natural, if you look down at notes it is easily noticed.

bizmark222

just a quick one , My virtual interview is today and after logging into topscore is says that `should you have assessments to complete, you will see a blue link on MY SCHEDULE saying START ASSESSMENT` has anyone had any experience of this? I thought it would be vebal questions only?

Emz86

Ive had my formal offer today! Passed the interview and start date is 5th Sept , unsure on signal school yet! Over the moon!!!

MikeyFord

Ive had my formal offer today! Passed the interview and start date is 5th Sept , unsure on signal school yet! Over the moon!!!
Nice one! How long ago was your interview if you don't mind me asking and did they phone you or offer it in a email? Just trying to gauge my chances!

Last edited:

Emz86

Nice one! How long ago was your interview if you don't mind me asking and did they phone you or offer it in a email? Just trying to gauge my chances!
Its for the Shrewsbury jobs. Interview was 2 weeks ago. Had a phone call to offer my it verbally, already had medical questionnaire through. Hopefully its a case of medical and then done.
Which ones have you applied for?

lineclear

Good Morning,

I've been lucky enough to secure a G9 post. I'm already an employee not a Signaller - I've been told that I'm to retain my current pay whilst training which is equivalent to G5 salary and I do not get the G8 salary.

However if I'm not mistaken external candidates get the G8 salary in training. I think that's a bit unfair.

That's all correct (including your comment about unfairness).

Congratulations, and I hope you're looking forward to the deep end!

MikeyFord

Its for the Shrewsbury jobs. Interview was 2 weeks ago. Had a phone call to offer my it verbally, already had medical questionnaire through. Hopefully its a case of medical and then done.
Same as you buddy, got my offer through this afternoon start Sept 5th time for a quiet ale I think!

Defenestrate

Good Morning,

From what you've said, you've applied internally...check the job advert: more of the vacancies seem to include a line about current salary and allowances, and what that means regarding your new role - something like, "whilst in training you'll be paid whatever is highest, your previous salary and allowances or the training salary for your new role" it's not worded exactly that way but similar.
If the job advert says this, then you should be eligible to claim your G8 training salary.
If you wait 13 week to take up your new role then you should theoretically be able to claim the G9 too.

SH89

Well done guys, I’m currently week 7 @ IST and based in Shrewsbury. If you’ve got any questions please feel free to message me

abs

That's all correct (including your comment about unfairness).

Congratulations, and I hope you're looking forward to the deep end!
Thanks for the reply. Going to query this with the LOM. No harm in asking I guess

From what you've said, you've applied internally...check the job advert: more of the vacancies seem to include a line about current salary and allowances, and what that means regarding your new role - something like, "whilst in training you'll be paid whatever is highest, your previous salary and allowances or the training salary for your new role" it's not worded exactly that way but similar.
If the job advert says this, then you should be eligible to claim your G8 training salary.
If you wait 13 week to take up your new role then you should theoretically be able to claim the G9 too.
Hi, advert said - previous salary and allowance or previous salary or new allowance, whichever the greater. Allowance is the same as I'm getting in my current role.

In my current role I at least have some exposure to Signalling and obviously all the NR policies and procedures. It's crazy for someone off the street, so to speak, can earn G8 and a good few hundred more in those training months

Also may i ask, is it 13 weeks after accepting the offer or after the closing date of the vacancy when that rule applies? Seen both mentioned in the thread.

Thanks.

Last edited:

wingnut1982

Does anyone on here work in the Penzance or St Erth signal boxes or have a contact with someone who works in either of these boxes?

Thanks in advance!

headshot119

Established Member
Also may i ask, is it 13 weeks after accepting the offer or after the closing date of the vacancy when that rule applies? Seen both mentioned in the thread.

It is 13 weeks since the date the job was advertised (If the job is vacant at that point) OR the point which the job becomes vacant after the 13 weeks from the date of advertisement.

Regarding pay due to correct enforcement of an old rule you will only get your previous grade while training, unless you claim as above via the 13 week rule if eligible.