• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

LeGrimpeur

Hope this is ok in this thread.
Does anyone know what career progression after being a LOM might be?
Also would you be in a advantageous position to get a higher grade signaller job after being a LOM?
Thankyou in advance if you are able to provide any info (fingers crossed @LOM is still active on this forum)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seejwalker

Hope this is ok in this thread.
Does anyone know what career progression after being a LOM might be?
Also would you be in a advantageous position to get a higher grade signaller job after being a LOM?
Thankyou in advance if you are able to provide any info (fingers crossed @LOM is still active on this forum)
Operations is a weird old beast. Depending on what grade you are, progressing into management just isn’t worthwhile
My LOM doesn’t earn anything near what I do yet they have far more responsibility and a higher workload.

But from LOM, you may wish to become LOM at a bigger location, then progress onto OM. Some head towards control or projects.

Me personally, I wouldn’t bother if making money is your goal.

GeordieO

Yeah it should be a week or even two (I had two over the Easter period when I joined a few years ago)
That's good to know, it would be nice to have the opportunity to spend quality time with the family then, as no other leave is allowed am I right in thinking?

Seejwalker

That's good to know, it would be nice to have the opportunity to spend quality time with the family then, as no other leave is allowed am I right in thinking?
You just wouldn’t catch up mate if leave was taken. Unless it was urgent.
Plus it’s Monday to Friday for a few weeks, so not a real hardship.

Seejwalker

I know, expecting it to be tough. Thanks
You’ll be fine mate. It’s not even remotely as difficult as people like to make out.
There’s lots to take in. But it all starts to snap together as time goes on.
Just knuckle down during the day and give yourself time to switch off in the evening.

Rizz

Hi all, first time posting here!

Just want to start by saying thank you to everyone that participates on this thread. There is SO much valuable information on here :D

For those of you who have had unsuccessful applications, I'd say do not lose hope! I initially applied for grade 9 and done well on the tests, but was put into a "talent pool". I ended up getting an offer for a lower grade and I'm actually very happy, it means I can learn and work my way up slowly. "You don't want to run before you can walk" is my mind set right now.

I'm looking forward to training, but being patient for the start date

bouff34

I wouldn't take it as a given that you will be at home... some LOM's may expect you to be at your signal box at least for a few hours each day. Most won't take this line but if yours does not much you can do about it - you are being paid after all... this would only apply to actual rostered days so Mon-Fri whilst at school and obviously you would be booked off for the actual BH's. Just don't make an assumption - of course most realise how hard school is and will leave you alone to unwind...

Thelastofus84

Hi all, fairly new to the forum. I am so pleased I have been invited to attend an interview in a couple of weeks. It's for a Grade 2 position in Cumbria. I have to do my scenario assessment this weekend. Does anyone have any tips for this? Will I have time to think about my answers before I record them? Thanks very much

Woody27

Hi all, fairly new to the forum. I am so pleased I have been invited to attend an interview in a couple of weeks. It's for a Grade 2 position in Cumbria. I have to do my scenario assessment this weekend. Does anyone have any tips for this? Will I have time to think about my answers before I record them? Thanks very much
Hi, it’s a scenario where you have to decide how to react to a growing situation, you have time to write down your answers before you have to record them, if you keep safety in mind you won’t go far wrong

GeordieO

I wouldn't take it as a given that you will be at home... some LOM's may expect you to be at your signal box at least for a few hours each day. Most won't take this line but if yours does not much you can do about it - you are being paid after all... this would only apply to actual rostered days so Mon-Fri whilst at school and obviously you would be booked off for the actual BH's. Just don't make an assumption - of course most realise how hard school is and will leave you alone to unwind...
That's alright, I'm obviously not expecting an easy ride but I'll find out when I start and do what's required. How long is the school for now, I've been doing some research and there's differing information, between 10 and 12 weeks?

Seejwalker

That's alright, I'm obviously not expecting an easy ride but I'll find out when I start and do what's required. How long is the school for now, I've been doing some research and there's differing information, between 10 and 12 weeks?
Used to be 12, now I believe they just do 10

Coppernob2014

I’m currently at IST in York. It’s great but easily the hardest course I’ve ever been on.

We break up on 16th December for Xmas and return on Monday 3rd January.

Seejwalker

I was one of the last groups to do the 12 weeks and 3 assessments. They managed to cut some unnecessary content out the course cutting it down to 10 weeks and 2 assessments.
I see the logic behind it, But it was nice to have a fairly chilled final two weeks.

Canonite

yes i received my employee number in an email confirming all pre employment checks and processes had been completed and passed, start date is 19th december and IST is some point in the new year at york, really looking forward to it
As long as I pass the medical later this month I’ll be on the same IST in York.

nom de guerre

Phew, got the phone call. Got the job!

Grade 6 instead of 9. But still at Three Bridges. So no idea what "area" that could be.

Congratulations!

Bit out of touch now but the East Sussex workstation was a Grade 6 and there's now an adjoining Lewes w/s too, so I'd say one or both of those.

Macs1981

Just done my scenario assessment and I think I did pretty bad. Nerves got the better of me. Just need to ace the interview!
Hang in there, I thought i did a shocking scenario assessment (i may well have!) as it felt so alien talking to a camera about something i knew very little about.

But, i got the job

Good luck!!

Hylo

I’m currently at IST in York. It’s great but easily the hardest course I’ve ever been on.

We break up on 16th December for Xmas and return on Monday 3rd January.
My IST is scheduled for York, i wonder what hotel they put you up in?

Any good tips for prep going into it? I'm excited to get stuck in.

I've been given an end of March IST date which is a long old wait but I've been trying to get in for two years, what's five more months.

Coppernob2014

My IST is scheduled for York, i wonder what hotel they put you up in?

Any good tips for prep going into it? I'm excited to get stuck in.

I've been given an end of March IST date which is a long old wait but I've been trying to get in for two years, what's five more months.
Congrats for getting in! It isn’t easy.

I’ve been in a few different hotels because of various reasons, but the favourite at the moment is the Hilton next to Clifford’s tower. No guarantees of course, but I think I’ll be there for the rest of my course.

In terms of tips, the main one really is to just be prepared to put everything into it. Me and my group are always on the Simulator by about 0730 in the morning, and after class we stay until around 1730. Long days, but it’s worth it!

illberries

Had my medical this morning, which I apparently passed (pending drugs test). So, excited to crack on now. IST starts January 9th in Bristol!

Royal351

Congratulations!

Bit out of touch now but the East Sussex workstation was a Grade 6 and there's now an adjoining Lewes w/s too, so I'd say one or both of those.
Ahh wonderful thanks very much!

Late January apparently. I just missed the October one because of annual leave in the recruitment team.
I may be on that too, as my official start date is 16th Jan. They said it'll be a few weeks after. Although I have no idea what I'd be doing from the start date to the IST. I guess being down at the ROC and just looking around or some kind of shadowing?

Luke1687

Hello, I have been invited to interview for a Grade 2 position and I am trying to arrange a visit to a local box. I live in Kendal so Carnforth, Arnside, Grange etc are on my radar. I am just struggling to contact them to arrange a visit. Can anyone please offer and advice on how I can achieve this? TIA

Canonite

Hello, I have been invited to interview for a Grade 2 position and I am trying to arrange a visit to a local box. I live in Kendal so Carnforth, Arnside, Grange etc are on my radar. I am just struggling to contact them to arrange a visit. Can anyone please offer and advice on how I can achieve this? TIA
When I visited, I just got talking to one of the Signallers as the shift overlapped, it was a crossing Box so pretty easy.