• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

LeGrimpeur

Operations is a weird old beast. Depending on what grade you are, progressing into management just isn’t worthwhile
My LOM doesn’t earn anything near what I do yet they have far more responsibility and a higher workload.

But from LOM, you may wish to become LOM at a bigger location, then progress onto OM. Some head towards control or projects.

Me personally, I wouldn’t bother if making money is your goal.
Thanks for the reply.

As a LOM has to attend signalling school is this a potential 'foot in the door' job to a more desired signaller role? I assume you are fully qualified once through school so no further testing would be required?
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Being a LOM as a ‘foot in the door’ to be a signaller would be a very odd route, but it would absolutely be possible in theory.

LOMs need a lot of training and are then directly managing signallers and MOMs, including investigating their incidents and managing their competences. If you made it through the application process there’s a lot more training (signalling school plus MOM training, management training and then a heap of other courses) so a much longer process to be fully passed out as a LOM, and to then give up on that and apply to be a signaller (aside from the fact the LOM would normally do the interview!) would certainly raise eyebrows - but they couldn’t stop you.

J3053B

Good Evening,

Does anyone know whether Westbury signal box is on 8 hour or 12 hour shift pattern?

Many thanks in advance.

Seejwalker

Thanks for the reply.

As a LOM has to attend signalling school is this a potential 'foot in the door' job to a more desired signaller role? I assume you are fully qualified once through school so no further testing would be required?
Thanks!
I don’t follow what you’re asking mate sorry?

Edit: ah i understand now. LOMs are rules trained to level two, like signallers, so yes in theory you could then apply to become a signaller, but I’ve never know it.
Most who become a LOM have a desire to be in management, so climb that ladder.

Most in Signalling are addicted to money and just chase that.

LeGrimpeur

I don’t follow what you’re asking mate sorry?

Edit: ah i understand now. LOMs are rules trained to level two, like signallers, so yes in theory you could then apply to become a signaller, but I’ve never know it.
Most who become a LOM have a desire to be in management, so climb that ladder.

Most in Signalling are addicted to money and just chase that.
Thanks for answering, much appreciated

AVK17

LOMs actually have to attain level 1 rules, which is more in depth than the level 2 which signallers do (it includes stuff about train formations and operation from module TW1, loading freight trains, brake tests etc..)

Royal351

Got my employee number. Starting to feel a bit real now.

Not bad for a first permanent job in the railway

Best of luck to yall applying! Hope to read some good news here soon!

GeordieO

Can I just ask what would be the usual time necessary to train on location in a Grade 2 box once signalling school has been completed?

Seejwalker

LOMs actually have to attain level 1 rules, which is more in depth than the level 2 which signallers do (it includes stuff about train formations and operation from module TW1, loading freight trains, brake tests etc..)
Yeah, but I was making the assumption that they would switch during or shortly after school.

Railrunnerjb

I've got my IST on the 9th Jan in Newport. Is there anyone else here been told the same? I am seeing alot for Bristol on the 9th, whats the chances the training team has made a mistake?

Hylo

Congrats for getting in! It isn’t easy.

I’ve been in a few different hotels because of various reasons, but the favourite at the moment is the Hilton next to Clifford’s tower. No guarantees of course, but I think I’ll be there for the rest of my course.

In terms of tips, the main one really is to just be prepared to put everything into it. Me and my group are always on the Simulator by about 0730 in the morning, and after class we stay until around 1730. Long days, but it’s worth it!
Absolutely agreed with that one.

Brilliant, i assume it's a case of they offer you accommodation and you take what you're given or?

Do they pay for your access to Wi-Fi while in hotel accom, I'm just thinking i may need to upgrade my mobile data if not.

Yeah that's absolutely my intention, i plan to be there through the weekends and evenings, I hope in my cohort there will be people willing to put the study in with me. I'm sure there will be.

AVK17

I've got my IST on the 9th Jan in Newport. Is there anyone else here been told the same? I am seeing alot for Bristol on the 9th, whats the chances the training team has made a mistake?
Very unlikely I'd say. They run multiple schools up and down the country and the 9th of January is the second week back after the new year so no doubt a few courses will start on the same day. If you're worried ask Recruitment to double check but you are almost certainly worrying unnecessary.

Brilliant, i assume it's a case of they offer you accommodation and you take what you're given or?

Do they pay for your access to Wi-Fi while in hotel accom, I'm just thinking i may need to upgrade my mobile data if not.

Yeah that's absolutely my intention, i plan to be there through the weekends and evenings, I hope in my cohort there will be people willing to put the study in with me. I'm sure there will be.
You go where you're put (the York Hilton is a bit of a dump tbh) and wifi is included in the room rate that NR gets. You don't work through the weekend, you go home. You don't need to be revising and studying every waking moment - it is important to relax and take a bit of time to yourself too otherwise you'll burn out.

Frankly they're not teaching you to be a brain surgeon, it's all reasonably straightforward and simple stuff, the problem is just that there is lots of information to learn by rote.

Last edited:

Coppernob2014

I agree with AVK17. The York Hilton isn’t amazing, I spent a week in the Novotel nearby and that was far nicer, but I’m not complaining about being put up haha!

It’s very important you take the time to relax a bit. You don’t get long, you head home midday or mid afternoon Friday and travel back mid afternoon Sunday, you get one whole day at home with loved ones to chill, it is t a lot at all. You will overload yourself if you do loads at the weekend as well.

Not to mention, Network Rail won’t pay for a hotel for you to stay over the weekend!

Hylo

To be frank, I'm quite willing to sacrifice whatever home comforts I need to for a limited time, it was hard enough getting to this point I'm not failing based on something i have control over.

I take your point though and if they're not paying over the weekend I'll go home of course. I don't have a family so it honestly wouldn't bother me staying.

Luke1687

Hello I have an interview this week face to face for a grade 2 position. I have completed my online scenario tests last week. Today I received an email with a password for another online assessment? I was not aware of this one can some one clarify what these tests are please?

Ross Mckenzie

Hello I have an interview this week face to face for a grade 2 position. I have completed my online scenario tests last week. Today I received an email with a password for another online assessment? I was not aware of this one can some one clarify what these tests are please?
I guess it would be for the interview. Mine came in at 00:04 Hrs this morning. Good luck for the interview.

Luke1687

It's an online interview for me. I just need to remember safety during the interview and hope there isn't a power cut that day.
Good luck with everything. I am sure you will be fine. I am pretty nervous but trying my best to just be myself and hope my research has been enough.

Trickster10

I am just coming to the end of TCB IST, now into week 11. I cannot explain how much commitment it takes, the course is very good but I believe is set to test you mentally as much as anything else. Anybody with any questions regards the course and what it entails then feel free to message :smile:

Leeward

Anybody applying for the current Westbury vacancies? I get the impression it's quite a rare one to see advertised externally.

Thankfully (though slightly nervously) it's time for me to retake the online tests and signaller video assessment. I do believe that they held me back previously, despite making it to two interviews and the reserve list for both. Hoping to score higher now that I know what to expect, though I know that is no guarantee!

Last edited:

illberries

Anybody applying for the current Westbury vacancies? I get the impression it's quite a rare one to see advertised externally.
I'm waiting to start IST (in January), after getting a position at Westbury. Why do you think it's quite a rare position mate?

High Dyke

Established Member
I'm waiting to start IST (in January), after getting a position at Westbury. Why do you think it's quite a rare position mate?
Only what I've gathered from reading this thread.
Like many vacancies, management would normally recruit internally, where possible. However, it may be there's been no interest - my area has a couple of vacancies like that.